Moparts

After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street

Posted By: DodgeCharger

After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 03:45 PM

I have been running MT ET Street Radials for years. But last year I raced them a lot and heated them a lot. Now they are so sticky driving on the street that they pick up stones and everything else. In the past after just a little street driving they would like glaze over and not be to bad. Now after driving them at least 20 miles they are almost as sticky as just leaving the burnout box.
Is there any trick to getting them to glaze over quicker or harden the top layer up? I don't want to destroy my car with stones.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 04:19 PM

They're doing what they're designed to do. I never had any issues, but I generally had a coating of rubber on my 1/4's to protect them.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 04:28 PM

Quote:

They're doing what they're designed to do. I never had any issues, but I generally had a coating of rubber on my 1/4's to protect them.

Never worried about it myself, but my car doesn't exactly have show quality paint/body either. My 1/4s have a thick layer of rubber/paintguard on them.

If it's some residual glue left on the tires from the track, maybe do a short burnout on the street to burn it off?

Attached picture 8211137-LAUNCH.jpg
Posted By: bobby66

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 04:31 PM

Don't the late model guys use some kind of peel-off shielding on the rear quarters? Sure I've seen it on Corvettes and stuff.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 04:55 PM

We've used everything from Saran wrap to blue painters tape to a light coating of WD-40... The blue painters tape works the best..
Posted By: 64hemi330sedan

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 05:20 PM

Quote:

this
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 05:21 PM

3m makes a product to cover the quarters web site is here . I use it on my duster because I have a few miles of gravel roads to get home,
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 05:21 PM

or go old school....

Attached picture 8211176-untitled.png
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 05:30 PM

The rain driving home from the track last night cooled mine off quick!...not that I would recommend that route.

On my husband's Challenger with drag radials we did put on small, black mudflaps, they help a lot with preventing chips. There were lots of cars at the track yesterday with blue painter's tape on the quarters.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 07:15 PM

I haven't ever had issue with mine, after being on the highway for awhile sometimes they are pretty sticky but nothing crazy. I have never worried about the paint on the quarters behind the tires and yet it seems to have held up better than the rest of the car.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 08:57 PM

Quote:

I have been running MT ET Street Radials for years. But last year I raced them a lot and heated them a lot. Now they are so sticky driving on the street that they pick up stones and everything else. In the past after just a little street driving they would like glaze over and not be to bad. Now after driving them at least 20 miles they are almost as sticky as just leaving the burnout box.
Is there any trick to getting them to glaze over quicker or harden the top layer up? I don't want to destroy my car with stones.

Run mud flaps. I ran those tires for a while. Didn't like them as I could just not get a feel for what they were doing. Got major gummy if you got them real hot.

Attached picture 8211350-10.67.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/17/14 11:32 PM

3m makes a clear chip guard you can put on. Or switch rims and tires for street driving.
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/18/14 12:26 AM

I run small mud flaps. The quarters on my car are mostly covered by a billboard strip. I just can't get comfortable driving hearing the stones hitting my paint.
Posted By: 65 Hemi

Re: After Racing my MT ET Radials too sticky for the Street - 07/18/14 02:09 AM

Armor All makes a product called Custom shield. It is a spray coating like plastic that peels off. It works great!
© 2024 Moparts Forums