Moparts

Tubes or no Tubes

Posted By: Kiddart

Tubes or no Tubes - 07/05/14 10:53 PM

Hey guys and gals,

Took the dart out yesterday for a gentle ride around the block with only one very small shot. come to find out somehow my tube valve stem is torn. could have been low air pressure or god knows what. I know my question is very controversial but, should I replace it or should I just go tubeless.
Street/Stip car more street than stip.

thoughts
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/05/14 11:13 PM

What tires
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 12:56 AM

STREET car no debate, tubes
Posted By: rebel

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 01:51 AM

Quote:

What tires

what he said

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 01:52 AM

Tries are

Mickey Thompson ET streets 28 x 10.5 x15

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 01:56 AM

Quote:

Tries are

I run the ET streets without tubes
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Tries are

Me too, 1.42 60 ft on them, 13.5x30x15 Take some shoe polish and mark the tire and rim at the valve stem, when it rotates, slips the tire, on the rim about 4 inches swap (Rotate) the rims and tires on the back side to side and wait for the marks to go to the other 3 to 4 inches pass the valve stem and then swap them again, and again each time they move that much
Posted By: rebel

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 03:46 AM

unless they used some super slippery lube to make the tire slip over the bead, they probably wont get back to the stem mark after you've swapped them over. I've run multiple sets of ET Streets, never saw a set get back before the tire was worn out.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 04:11 AM

use dawn liquid on the inside of the tire.
high tack on the bead and good to go .

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 04:35 AM

Quote:

use dawn liquid on the inside of the tire.
high tack on the bead and good to go .

ET Streets are a street tire and dont call for tubes
or any dish soap.. you can use glue or high tack on
the bead... I didnt bother because you tend to run
more air pressure and that helps them from slipping
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 03:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tries are

Me too, 1.42 60 ft on them, 13.5x30x15 Take some shoe polish and mark the tire and rim at the valve stem, when it rotates, slips the tire, on the rim about 4 inches swap (Rotate) the rims and tires on the back side to side and wait for the marks to go to the other 3 to 4 inches pass the valve stem and then swap them again, and again each time they move that much

what I do.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 03:42 PM

If they are the ET street Bias ply tires, I believe they do call for tubes.

I ran the 28x12.50's without tubes for 2 seasons on the street and strip with no issues...However, tires would spin bit by bit on launch, so I do recommend some rim screws

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/06/14 04:58 PM

Thanks everyone. I am going to try them without tubes. whats the worse thing that happens. My tire goes flat in my garage?? I know the whole track thing can bit me in the but. I think I can save the $70 on a new tube and buy a new HHR fan.

Thanks a million.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/07/14 02:33 PM

No Tubes,No Screws

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/07/14 02:37 PM

I know a lot of guys run no tubes no screws. Will be heading to McCormicks this week so they can take the tubes out and rebalance.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Tubes or no Tubes - 07/07/14 05:37 PM

When you have them take the tubes out make sure where the bead of the tire seats on the rim is clean.They also need to be smooth free of any nicks and if clean and you will not have a problem with them losing air.

PS if you can feel a nick or scratch on the inside of wheel lip where the tire seats it needs to be sanded/filed smooth or some times a coat of $.99 Wal-Mart spray paint will make it smooth.When you hear someone complain about their tires losing air 99.99% of the time that is the problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums