Moparts

new indys owner

Posted By: MaxAxe3

new indys owner - 01/01/09 01:53 AM

after installing my indys on my 440 with the outside oiling for the heads i notice my oil pressure is down a lot was 65+/- @ idle, now about 28 +/- @ idle..is it necessary to install a reducer in the oil line to restrict the flow to the heads??? i don't want to empty the oil pan @ 6500 rpm!! or is this normal..when i up the rpm in neutral the pressure comes up to around 60lbs@ 2500 rpm..its all new, i don't need to lose it..thanks in advance

Attached File
4913856-HEADSUP.eml  (146 downloads)
Posted By: Ari440

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 01:56 AM

yes

I have a #70 jet size in mine

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 01:58 AM

where would you install a jet??

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 02:03 AM

the two oil line fittings that are on the heads

drill and tap them on the back side

there is room for them in the heads

I do not remeber the drill and tap size but get a holly jet and you need to tap it at that size

someone else should know it too
Posted By: rebel

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 02:05 AM

everyone has their own cure to fix this problem. mine is a very low $$ cure. i sandwiched a 1/4"copper flare cap between the flare fitting on the head & the flexi hose connection. i drilled a hole in these caps to 7/64" & my low press while hot @ idle has gone. these caps are used in the refrigeration industry & cost me 10 cents. you can try a smaller hole if you desire as it doesn't cost anything to enlarge them.

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 02:06 AM

so you pull the fitting out and tap the rear of the fitting and reinstall??!! sounds pretty simple, just like me!! will give it a go....thanks a bunch!!

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

so you pull the fitting out and tap the rear of the fitting and reinstall??!! sounds pretty simple, just like me!! will give it a go....thanks a bunch!!

yes ........ .........good to go !!!!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 02:48 AM

Anything with a hole size roughly 0.062" or so.

Remember that Holley jet is an extra-fine thread 1/4-32 (fine is 1/4-28, and coarse is 1/4-20. So get the right tap.

Attached picture 4913947-Indy_oil_restrictor_both.jpg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 02:52 AM

You can also use a nitrous fitting and a nitrous jet.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 07:12 AM

Are all Indy's like this?
My SRs never gave me any low oil pressure at idle or low speeds. SR's have external oiling lines also.

If I wasn't experiencing any low oil pressure problems, than was I over looking another problem with good strong pressure and or flow at the heads?
Cold starts would be at 70-80 pounds, warmed up and at highway speeds 40-60 pounds. 25-30 at curb Idle.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: new indys owner - 01/01/09 12:10 PM

my sr,s on my street car never give me a prob and my ez 325,s on my race car work great too with no ristrictors.
Posted By: jcc

Re: new indys owner - 01/02/09 03:47 AM

Indy has new ownership?
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: new indys owner - 01/02/09 07:47 PM

Quote:

Indy has new ownership?

Didn't you hear? Russ sold out to Eddie and he is going to fix all the problems.

Damon
Posted By: valiantboy

Re: new indys owner - 01/03/09 07:22 AM

eddie? as in elvis eddie? 1fastmopar? really? maybe there will be hope for indy products yet!
Posted By: bonefish

Re: new indys owner - 01/03/09 02:24 PM

Quote:

eddie? as in elvis eddie? 1fastmopar? really? maybe there will be hope for indy products yet!

i think sombady is pull your chain
Posted By: 66er

Re: new indys owner - 01/03/09 03:46 PM

Quote:

everyone has their own cure to fix this problem. mine is a very low $$ cure. i sandwiched a 1/4"copper flare cap between the flare fitting on the head & the flexi hose connection. i drilled a hole in these caps to 7/64" & my low press while hot @ idle has gone. these caps are used in the refrigeration industry & cost me 10 cents. you can try a smaller hole if you desire as it doesn't cost anything to enlarge them.

That is a good idea! I don't run Indy heads But I've used those caps at work and they would work great for that.
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: new indys owner - 01/05/09 02:19 AM

Thanks for the info and pictures on this guys! This is why I love Moparts. I was just putting together my motor yesterday and while pre-oiling I realized I had too much oil going to the head so I posted a question on Moparts and within minutes I had good useful info and a link to this thread. (First set of Indy -1s so I didn't know this was necessary)

Using the Holley jet was what I was thinking about and you guys confirmed it and 440Jim had pictures (of course...) Problem solved, motor installed, fired up, Cam broken in and ready for the '09 season!

I didn't have any spare #70s so I used a #74,it's close to .080 but that's still way better than an unrestricted #4 fitting.

I didn't have a 1/4-32 tap and couldn't find one on Saturday but I had an extra fitting and tried a 1/4-28 tap and it worked just fine as well. The jet started and made about 1 1/2 turns and then got a little snug, but since it won't be coming out and getting stuck is a good thing I just put it in the vise and used a good sized slot screw driver and it went right in (used lock tight too).

Thought I'd share that because most of us will have 1/4-28 taps but 1/4-32 taps can be hard to find.
Posted By: 506RR

Re: new indys owner - 01/05/09 01:08 PM

Great Info Guys!
© 2024 Moparts Forums