Moparts

Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can

Posted By: Sammy

Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 05:14 PM

I needed a catch can for my new Transmission so I ordered this one from Moroso. It looks to be different from their old style petcocks and inlet. Old one entered through the side and this one enters from the bottom.
With the valve closed no fluid can get into the can and with it open, it won't hold any fluid. Did Moroso make a mistke with this. I can't see how this could work.

Attached picture 8197261-transcatchcan.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

I needed a catch can for my new Transmission so I ordered this one from Moroso. It looks to be different from their old style petcocks and inlet. Old one entered through the side and this one enters from the bottom.
With the valve closed no fluid can get into the can and with it open, it won't hold any fluid. Did Moroso make a mistke with this. I can't see how this could work.

2 things... does it have a vent on the top and why close
the valve.. if its above the vent port it will drain back
in so you dont need to drain it
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 05:26 PM

Mabe to let the trany fluid return back into the transmission?

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My son's car has the old style one and it enters from the side with the valve closed. Open up the petcock and it drains out.
And yes there's a 1/8"npt screen vent on top.
Good point about keeping petcock open but it defeats the purpose of having a catch can.

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My son's car has the old style one and it enters from the side with the valve closed. Open up the petcock and it drains out.
And yes there's a 1/8"npt screen vent on top.
Good point about keeping petcock open but it defeats the purpose of having a catch can.

Not at all... then its a drain back reservoir and
it takes care of itself

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 05:40 PM

Here's my son's catch can and it has the same part #

Attached picture 8197283-olsstylecatchcan.jpg

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 05:49 PM

Quote:

Here's my son's catch can and it has the same part #

The one you show for your sons car is more for a radiator
but the can is mounted lower.. then it needs the drain
and it would trap over flow.. but on your trans you
can mount it above the vent port and let it self drain
and you wont have to ever mess with it
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 06:05 PM

No they did not make a mistake. If anything they improved the design of that can. It is to allow the fluid to drain back into the the transmission pan. Mount it higher than the vent on the trans, leave the valve open and allow it to work the way it is designed to.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 10:29 PM

Quote:

No they did not make a mistake. If anything they improved the design of that can. It is to allow the fluid to drain back into the the transmission pan. Mount it higher than the vent on the trans, leave the valve open and allow it to work the way it is designed to.

Transmission Expansion Tank....Good Idea.

The catch can on my glide never had a drop in it...???

Rickster
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/04/14 11:54 PM

Quote:

I made my own from an aluminum water bottle from the 99 cent store. Mounted way up inside right fender and installed hose fitting on bottom and vented up top. No valve. Any fluid that enters, drains back automatically. Don't have to worry bout draining tank or low fluid in trans. I forget it's there and no more leaky vent at the big end.

Attached picture 8197619-tcc.png

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/05/14 12:12 AM

Then why have a on/off valve at all on there? It seems if the valve is off, no fluid can enter and you transmission case isn't vented at all.

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/05/14 12:24 AM

Quote:

Then why have a on/off valve at all on there? It seems if the valve is off, no fluid can enter and you transmission case isn't vented at all.

If you dont want the valve.. take it out and screw
a hose fitting in.. people use that tank for multiple
things and some might need the valve
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/05/14 08:29 AM

Guys that run a "chiller" on their trans between rounds and flush fluid through the system, need to be able to close that valve so that it doesn't push fluid out the vent while chilling it.

Monte
Posted By: rebel

Re: Did Moroso make a mistake with this Trans. catch can - 07/05/14 11:50 AM

Quote:

I made my own from an aluminum water bottle from the 99 cent store. Mounted way up inside right fender and installed hose fitting on bottom and vented up top. No valve. Any fluid that enters, drains back automatically. Don't have to worry bout draining tank or low fluid in trans. I forget it's there and no more leaky vent at the big end.

I made own as well from a part out of an air cond unit. I just clamped a filter on one end to make it look tidy. like yours the fluid is self draining.

Attached picture 8198159-2014-07-0516.56.26.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums