Moparts

Street outlaws tonight

Posted By: RV2

Street outlaws tonight - 06/23/14 11:31 PM

I wonder how the editing will be this season?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/23/14 11:35 PM

The show has gotten better as time goes on. I can only hope Farm-truck and his obnoxious buddy are off farming this year and to busy to show up. Real drag race engine soundtracks would be nice too.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 12:21 AM

I'll be sure NOT to tune in!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 01:23 AM

Quote:

I'll DVR it for ya John.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 03:24 AM

Caught a few minutes of an episode tonight.Apparently when you pump huge loads of nitrous through an engine it stsrts to sound like an Indy car at the stripe.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 05:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll DVR it for ya John.

Thanks big D! BTW, hope you are feeling better - - but if you happen to die, can I have your Daytona?
Posted By: racerx

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 12:07 PM

Quote:

The show has gotten better as time goes on. I can only hope Farm-truck and his obnoxious buddy are off farming this year and to busy to show up. Real drag race engine soundtracks would be nice too.

Well not to bust your bubble ...........but he's the race master this year
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 02:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Farm Tuck and Azn bring some levity to the show. They like to have fun. What's wrong with that?
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 03:13 PM

I agree Azn & Farm Truck are funny. I personally like the show and was looking forward to the new season. Guess I was not alone or there wouldn't be a new season. Lol.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 03:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Farm Tuck and Azn bring some levity to the show. They like to have fun. What's wrong with that?

I have no problem with it just stating what I've seen on the show lastnite.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 03:29 PM

That VW junk should have never been in any thoughts of being a top 10 car. The farmtruck and ASS are poor fillers for the show. What I saw last night was a bunch of bottom 5 car rolling over for Chief.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 03:39 PM

Those "bottom five" don't look too shabby to me. And Chief's Pontiac didn't seem to need any help winning.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 03:48 PM

I'd bet that Pontiac is the fastest car they have. The butlers have been low 6's with that combination.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If I want stupid funny I will watch Steinfeld re-runs. I've been a regular show watcher since the show started and slowly the have weeded the silliness out and that is GREAT. A racing show should be about racing. Not corniness.
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 04:17 PM

What a setup. Farmtruck spots chief first so he can build boost then he turns to his left to light the flashlight after he spots the second driver. Did this every race. I like the cars that why I watch.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 05:28 PM

This doesn't require brain surgery to figure out...........The cars in the bottom 5 are fast, but NOT THAT fast. The cars don't get into the 4 second range until you get up to about number 5. So the lower cars "rolling over" for Chief is not what happened. He just has WAY more power and if he just goes down, which he did, they couldn't beat him even if they ran a best ever. And you will also notice all the cars at the bottom are "small tire" cars. NOT conducive to getting big power down a city street. The "fastest" of the small tire cars is Chuck's Mustang. It has been 5.0s at the track, but can't make that kind of pass on the street. The "big tire" cars on the show make 4 sec passes "on the street" on a regular basis.

The show can be corny at times, but there is nothing fake about the cars or the racing. Now the producers do TRY and arrange races to get the cars THEY want at the top of the list, but so far that has not worked.

Season 3 is done and season 4 is shooting right now. Season 3 ended with a NEW number 1 and it is not the car most think, nor one the producers WANTED there.

I was in Paducah KY Saturday night with "Doc" and "Monza". They did an appearance at Beacon Dragway and made some passes with the boards off. They both had tunes in the cars they had just run in Texas "on the street". I saw the slips and the data from both cars. I won't give the ETs, but will only say that if you want to roll with these guys, your ride better "easily" make 4 sec blasts down a city street

Monte
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 05:33 PM

Reality shows are hokey no matter what the subject. The actors dance for the camera.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 05:37 PM

Quote:

Reality shows are hokey no matter what the subject. The actors dance for the camera.

Maybe so............but the two "dancers" at Beacon Dragway got paid a healthy sum to show up. Both sold over $3000 worth of T-shirts and the place was packed with people to see them. When they fired the cars to roll to the lanes, the crowd would start cheering

Monte
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 05:53 PM

I personally like the show and enjoy it as I had to quit street racing but still like to watch it. I just would like to see them run the east coast and Georgia boys and run on some asphalt.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 06:01 PM

I think it has gotten much better, they seemed to have listened to people's feedback and now we have less drama and hijinks and a lot more racing.

My only gripe now is the way they edit the races. Too much back and forth cutting between the various camera angles. I don't need to see multiple Go-pro shots of closeups of the tires as it goes down the road.

Just show the entire race as a long shot since it's only going to be 4-6 seconds anyway, then go back and show all the special angles and slow motion as a replay.
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 06:09 PM

I like the show too ! I predict the new Number one to be Monza. Admittedly, I am no drag racing expert and have been around long enough to realize how little I know..... but he seems very consistent and has a confidence about him.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 06:14 PM

Quote:

I like the show too ! I predict the new Number one to be Monza. Admittedly, I am no drag racing expert and have been around long enough to realize how little I know..... but he seems very consistent and has a confidence about him.

I agree...
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 06:17 PM

Quote:

My guess too

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 06:27 PM

Monte you are right. But if thats the case where are all the fast slow cars? The way that Cheifs car left them in the dust there should be anouther five cars in the area that are not on the list that would at least give him a good race.
The bottom 5 if I am right are all small tire small block on nitrous making like 1200 HP. Top 5 guys are way beyound that. If this season is going to be about races for the bottom 5 and races between the top 5 its going to get old.
I should refraze what I said. Cheif rolled over the bottom 5 guys like they were not even trying. Still really like the show.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 06:44 PM

The cars on the bottom of the list range from 5.0s to 5.50s at the track..........not SLOW by any means, just not near as quick as the big tire cars.

The white Camaro last night was BB on spray small tires. Varley is BB on spray, small tires. Chuck and Andrade are about the only small block cars. Chuck has turbos on his car for this year, so Andrade might be the only SB spray car on the list now. Plus, there are now 7 big tire cars............not leaving much room for the small tire boys, unless it is a real bad azz

Most everybody knocked the tires off last night against Chief, knowing they would need a really good lick. That makes the racing look more lopsided or staged

Monte

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 08:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I thought there were more small blocks than there are. 5.0 to 5.50s boy they are flying. That means the top 5 are high 4s to 5.0 and that is fast. Monte you are there and have seen alot of races. To win on the street on a good pass what would you say the are running?

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 09:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I thought there were more small blocks than there are. 5.0 to 5.50s boy they are flying. That means the top 5 are high 4s to 5.0 and that is fast. Monte you are there and have seen alot of races. To win on the street on a good pass what would you say the are running?

I won't say exactly what they run, although I know all the cars and what they are capable of on the track...........Look back to post 16 in this thread. My last paragraph will give you an idea.........BUT if you are assuming the top 5 or 6 cars are easy 4 sec rides........you would be correct. As to what they actually run on the street......well as with a track, that depends on the surface. But it is not difficult to lay track graphs over street graphs and have a VERY good idea of what kind of lap they made. Suffice it to say they are DAMN FAST

Monte
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 09:01 PM

I think the show is a riot and the Azn and farm truck add to the levity.Last night the continuous racing was great and that Pontiac does haul tail Can't knock the Camaro and that Bug is a ass hauler for that little engine. My only question is where the heck are the Mopars?

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 09:08 PM

Thanks big D! BTW, hope you are feeling better - - but if you happen to die, can I have your Daytona?

Getting there John, thank you.

Sure, you may end up with it even if I don't croak.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 09:32 PM

Quote:

BUT if you are assuming the top 5 or 6 cars are easy 4 sec rides........you would be correct.

Monte

It's been posted all over that Daddy Dave can go 4:40's. I would guess Chief and Shaun have to be close to that, and Monza right in there too.

Jr. Monza needs to grow a little thicker skin or get used to having his butt pounded.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 09:39 PM

Quote:

Jr. Monza needs to grow a little thicker skin or get used to having his butt pounded.

Yes indeed. When you get whooped like that, just shut up and keep whatever level of dignity you may still have.

I used to call guys like that alligator mouth, parakeet ass.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

BUT if you are assuming the top 5 or 6 cars are easy 4 sec rides........you would be correct.

Monte

It's been posted all over that Daddy Dave can go 4:40's. I would guess Chief and Shaun have to be close to that, and Monza right in there too.

Dave's truck is lightest of the bunch and also likely has the best motor. It has a Fulton 632 spreadport with 3 stages.......Doc's Monte is over 3000lbs and has an older 5.0 bore space 706 with 3 stages.......Monza's Camaro is a tick under 3000 with a conv head 632 with 2 stages..........Dominator's Dart has a 632 conv head BBC with two stages, although he hasn't had a chance to ring it out yet........Chief has a Butler built 500 inch Poncho with twin turbos........Murder Nova has a Pro-Line built twin turbo big block. Most all of them have very nice chassis work as well. These are high dollar rides with GOOD parts and their performance reflects that.

NOW.....the turbo cars make MORE power, by a LOT......BUT, on the street they can't use that power and in an 1/8 mile, a fast nitrous car is pretty much impossible for them to run down, given both make clean hits.

Doc is having a hard time getting a handle on the power the new 5.0 motor makes........Dominator has not had a good chance to get his combo ironed out, but Monza and Dave just make clean, fast passes at will it seems. That Camaro(Monza) is just nasty and deadly consistent.

Monte
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/24/14 10:12 PM

I was just going to ask what these cars are packing under the hood. They sure have some big bucks in them for sure!!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 12:06 AM

I live about 15 minutes from the track at Paducah and started to go and watch my buddy make some hits with his 55. Stayed home and went to the lake for a walk with the wife.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 03:09 AM

Quote:

Season 3 is done and season 4 is shooting right now. Season 3 ended with a NEW number 1 and it is not the car most think, nor one the producers WANTED there.

I was in Paducah KY Saturday night with "Doc" and "Monza". They did an appearance at Beacon Dragway and made some passes with the boards off. They both had tunes in the cars they had just run in Texas "on the street". I saw the slips and the data from both cars. I won't give the ETs, but will only say that if you want to roll with these guys, your ride better "easily" make 4 sec blasts down a city street

Monte

Doc and Monza are Monte Smith N2O cars correct.??

Like the shirts on the tube Monte..

Chris..
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:16 AM

Quote:

Most everybody knocked the tires off last night against Chief, knowing they would need a really good lick. That makes the racing look more lopsided or staged

Monte

Derick had a good shot at Chief,but was having throttle cable problems and his nitruos didn't come on when he left and was on the motor only for about a second till his second stage came on

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Chris..

Doc, Monza, Dominator and Andrade are my guys, I did their intakes. I also try and help Dave a little and before they went turbo, both Chuck and Chief had systems from me. Chuck a crossbar plate and Chief had two foggers on that same Poncho motor. I was doing these guys stuff way before this show came along. The Fulton motor that is in Dave's truck, belonged to one of my customers from Georgia and I tuned it at ORSCA races. Ran it in a drag radial Mustang. We never hurt it and Dave seems to hurt it a LOT.........LOL!!!

I also did a crossbar plate for Youngbloods car, but Jerry, his dad told me Sat night that he is too busy chasing tail to work on the car............LOL!!!

Monte

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:19 AM

Don't really believe Dave can run that quick

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:21 AM

Quote:

Don't really believe Dave can run that quick

Not very likely

Monte

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Chris..

Doc, Monza, Dominator and Andrade are my guys, I did their intakes. I also try and help Dave a little and before they went turbo, both Chuck and Chief had systems from me. Chuck a crossbar plate and Chief had two foggers on that same Poncho motor. I was doing these guys stuff way before this show came along. The Fulton motor that is in Dave's truck, belonged to one of my customers from Georgia and I tuned it at ORSCA races. Ran it in a drag radial Mustang. We never hurt it and Dave seems to hurt it a LOT.........LOL!!!

I also did a crossbar plate for Youngbloods car, but Jerry, his dad told me Sat night that he is too busy chasing tail to work on the car............LOL!!!

Monte

Chief's turbo motor is completely different than his nitrous motor that he sold
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:31 AM

Did that dude REALLY say that they have almost $ 200,000 in that black Nova?

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Derick had a good shot at Chief,but was having throttle cable problems and his nitruos didn't come on when he left and was on the motor only for about a second till his second stage came on

Here is my take on that. ALL the BB nitrous, big tire cars.....Doc, Monza, Dominator, Dave and Derek can beat the turbo cars on the street, IF they make a nice clean hit.........Out there where the turbo guys are really having to lean on the boost controller to make it run is TOUGH on the street and not knock the tires off. No doubt both turbo cars make BIG power, just can't get it down the road consistently.

Jeff Lutz told me last year after Dave beat him, that it would be nearly impossible for a turbo car to beat any of those nitrous cars on the street. Not enough room to run them down. Of course we(the nitrous guys) already knew that........LOL!!!

The main reason Chief, Murder Nova and Chuck went to turbos, is they want to run Drag Week. They all know this TV show is a short term deal and they are looking long term.

Monte

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Chris..

Monte

Chief's turbo motor is completely different than his nitrous motor that he sold

I didn't mean to say SAME. The nitrous motor had Super Chief(or something like that) heads on it

Monte
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 04:34 AM

Sorry to go off topic BUT Monte I sent you a PM
about the injection.. if you could read that.. thanks
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 09:08 AM

I Like the show and I think Derek did a Great job holding his own against Chief. I like ALL the cars on there and think azn and farm truck add some fun to the show. I do believe that Young Blood needs to grow up and not get his panties in a twist when the guys are just having fun. I DID like the four ways deal on Young Blood, now he needs to shut up, get his stuff running right and come back for revenge. That is how it's supposed to be, FUN !!!!
David
p.s. and CONGRAT'S to Tina and her Husband!!
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 10:32 AM

liked the show, but I think youngblood's going to get that little azz whopped.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 03:57 PM

I think it's GREAT that the guy they call "farm truck" is racemaster.
I'm hoping that means we wont be seeing the Field Truck go for the list. IMHO it's a mockery of a fast car list.

Now that I know the dart has a chebby motor I won't be pulling for it.

Monte thanks for your insight into the cars/engines.
Don

Attached picture 8187190-race4-27-14.jpg
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 11:25 PM

I am assuming they capped season 3 racing against Chicago (in St Louis)? Vids popped up on YouTube but I haven't watched (don't want to spoil the show, its the only show I enjoy!)

TuffENuff was out there as well as some other very quick cars, including BoostedGT's new car.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/25/14 11:43 PM

Quote:

This doesn't require brain surgery to figure out...........The cars in the bottom 5 are fast, but NOT THAT fast. The cars don't get into the 4 second range until you get up to about number 5. So the lower cars "rolling over" for Chief is not what happened. He just has WAY more power and if he just goes down, which he did, they couldn't beat him even if they ran a best ever. And you will also notice all the cars at the bottom are "small tire" cars. NOT conducive to getting big power down a city street. The "fastest" of the small tire cars is Chuck's Mustang. It has been 5.0s at the track, but can't make that kind of pass on the street. The "big tire" cars on the show make 4 sec passes "on the street" on a regular basis.

The show can be corny at times, but there is nothing fake about the cars or the racing. Now the producers do TRY and arrange races to get the cars THEY want at the top of the list, but so far that has not worked.

Monte

Here's a cut and paste from another site. Maybe Monte ends up NUMBER 1.

Monte Smith

Chinese Crank.....Broke
View Profile
Personal Message (Offline)

Hopefully.......coming soon, to a Mopar event near you
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

You guys seem to be having so much fun, poop talking and making promises, that I thought I might join in...........See, I know this fella, who has this yeller GTX, that used to be kind of fast. He still has the car and has decided that maybe he should race it a little bit. It has been apart for quite a while, but he has everything to put it together but an engine and things are already in process to remedy that problem. Stay tuned................lol

Monte

I had to remove a bad word or two. Hopefully I caught them all.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/26/14 02:33 AM

I thought it was funny they thought $7,500 on one race was a lot of money.
The SERIOUS races start around here at $10,000. and yes, that's on the street.
it's not about some list, it's about $$$$$ i don't care if i'm faster, as long as i bust your A@@ and take your money. That's the game in "brick city"
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/26/14 03:33 AM

Quote:

??????

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/26/14 03:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

??????

What do you think it cost's to go mid 6's??? Stuff isn't cheap, and parts break. I bet the engine alone is over 50k

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/26/14 03:52 AM

Quote:

I am assuming they capped season 3 racing against Chicago (in St Louis)? Vids popped up on YouTube but I haven't watched (don't want to spoil the show, its the only show I enjoy!)

TuffENuff was out there as well as some other very quick cars, including BoostedGT's new car.

No, season 3 is wrapped......That was shooting for season 4 which is going on now

Monte
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/26/14 04:37 AM

Hard to tell how quick AZN's "Dung Beetle" is for a number of reasons. Was that thing in the Round Robin for #10 as a legit car, or for comic relief?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/28/14 04:07 PM

Hey Monty. How bad did the Camaro hurt his motor in Paducah? The word I got was that it wasn't good.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/28/14 08:31 PM

Quote:

Hey Monty. How bad did the Camaro hurt his motor in Paducah? The word I got was that it wasn't good.

Broke the stator support tube in the trans when he let the button go.........so basically it was one to one with a locked up converter and two kits on at the hit. Lugged the motor REALLY hard and hurt a ring. Nothing major. Would have been fine like it was, just down a little pumping pounds on that hole, but he fixed it. Ready to go

Monte
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/28/14 10:35 PM

Send'em to Chicago for another spanking.

http://youtu.be/2aVUGpnbMAk
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/28/14 10:52 PM

Like I said last season, still not street cars The new episode certainly was better with more racing than all the other junk they usually air... I doubt that will continue through the season though.

I like how they took the bug out on a trailer and then cops are coming after them. This after he drove it on the street last season the same way as it is now

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/28/14 11:25 PM

Quote:

Like I said last season, still not street cars The new episode certainly was better with more racing than all the other junk they usually air... I doubt that will continue through the season though.

I like how they took the bug out on a trailer and then cops are coming after them. This after he drove it on the street last season the same way as it is now

The Bug has had quite a bit of work done on it since last year. Like anyone else, they trailer it in case it breaks.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/30/14 07:26 AM

Quote:

Like I said last season, still not street cars

AND, like has been said over and over.........they don't claim they are street cars. Only street RACED cars. I don't think you are trying to pass anything off as street legal when it has fender exit exhausts.

Monte
Posted By: RV2

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 06/30/14 10:46 PM

Hey Monte is the Pontiac a full tube chassis?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/01/14 06:45 PM

Much better season this season than the previous. More focus on actual racing. But if I have to hear one more time on how "Big Cheese" spent the last two years & his life saving building his car I am going to puke. We get it. We all spend a ton of money on our cars but how many time do we have to hear him say that?
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/01/14 08:01 PM

Quote:

Much better season this season than the previous. More focus on actual racing. But if I have to hear one more time on how "Big Cheese" spent the last two years & his life saving building his car I am going to puke. We get it. We all spend a ton of money on our cars but how many time do we have to hear him say that?

I don't understand why anyone would spend their life savings on a race car either. What a stupid financial decision unless it helps grow his new business somehow.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/01/14 09:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Like I said last season, still not street cars

AND, like has been said over and over.........they don't claim they are street cars. Only street RACED cars. I don't think you are trying to pass anything off as street legal when it has fender exit exhausts.

Monte

You can always put sidepipes on it like Todd M. does.LOL.
Posted By: v8punch

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/01/14 11:53 PM

downloading the S3E2 now.
Improved, but the races could be less sliced ​​in video editing.
Seem patchwork quilts.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/02/14 01:10 AM

Seen Daddy Dave make a couple of passes at KID this Spring. It was a no prep race and that truck flat gets with it!

There was also a black late model 'Vette there that was from OKC putting down some amazing passes too...
Posted By: TrxR

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/02/14 02:09 AM

Whats the suspension setup on that truck of Daddy Dave's?

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/02/14 08:06 AM

All the "big" tire cars are backhalf 4-link cars. Most have stock type front suspension. The Sonoma probably has the most "racy" chassis of the bunch, but they are all nice cars

Monte
Posted By: bracketcharger

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/02/14 09:58 PM

Sure would like to see a Mopar powered Mopar in the mix.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/03/14 05:26 PM

"Illegal" Street Racing Show Shuts Down Highway With Police Help
Posted: Jul 02, 2014 5:35PM CDT Dana Hertneky, News 9

A show about illegal street racing in Oklahoma is raising some serious red flags, this after the show's producers close a major US Highway. And News 9 has learned a local police department was helping them.

State Highway 81 in Union City was shut down for about 10 hours Saturday night while the crew taped the show. Burn out marks and a black oily substance still remained on the highway Wednesday.

The Discovery Channel show Street Outlaws is said to be about illegal racing on the streets of Oklahoma City, but in reality they were shooting about 20 miles outside OKC in Union City.

When News 9 photojournalist Cody McDonell showed up with a camera Saturday night he was told he had to leave. A guy wearing a T-shirt flashed a badge and identified himself as a "police officer in Oklahoma".

"It is a permitted area. It is closed," he said.

And even though News 9 was on a public street, a Union City police officer stepped in and threatened to throw our photojournalist in jail.

"If you don't want to leave I will put you under arrest," he said.

Officers on the scene said since this was permitted area we were not allowed to be there. On Wednesday Union City Police Chief Robert Ague said we were creating a hazard.
Share this Story
TweetFacebookEmail

"Creates a hazard for the motoring public and whenever you have vehicles sitting off on the side of the road it creates a traffic hazard," he said.

OSU Associate Professor and First Amendment expert Dr. Joey Senat says, in either case, we were well within our rights as a news organization to be there.

Those who live in the area say the racing on the highway has become a common occurrence.

"There for a while it was every week for a couple weeks," said Jenny Shieber.

Shieber says she has no serious issues with the closing of the highway. But the Oklahoma Highway Patrol (OHP) says they received complaints from drivers on Saturday night.

A permit says the show's producers paid $25 to block off the highway beginning at 6 p.m. Ague says they did not notify the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) or OHP.

"Anytime you would shut down a US Highway that was designated a commercial motor vehicle oversized road route without prior approval, we really frown on that," said Lt. Betsy Randolph with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

Randolph says this case brings up a host of concerns.

"If the roadway is going to be shut down we really would rather it not be for illegal purposes as in illegal street racing," said Randolph.

In addition, Randolph says they don't believe there was the proper traffic notices or alternative routes set up. And there's also the issue of the mess left behind.

"The burden on cleaning up the highway on this sort of event goes back to the taxpayers," said Randolph.

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/03/14 05:39 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is not NEW information. It is the way it has been from the beginning. OK City would not allow the show to shoot in their city limits, on their streets, so the producers went to smaller, outlying cities. These shoots are done in complete co-operation with these other cities, on streets or highways that are within their jurisdiction and the scene is controlled by local police................I am also quite sure the cities in question get more than $25............LOL!!!

Monte
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/03/14 08:05 PM

Quote:

Whats the suspension setup on that truck of Daddy Dave's?

I heard he has a traction control setup on the suspension kind of like a pro stocker.
Posted By: QuickDart 502

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/03/14 08:17 PM

Quote:

Attached picture 8196381-14-06-COVER-PRESS.jpg
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/03/14 08:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What's your set-up. Is it still the 502? Procharged is about all i can find through a quick search online.
Posted By: E-Ticket

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/04/14 04:31 AM

Quote:

A show about illegal street racing in Oklahoma is raising some serious red flags, this after the show's producers close a major US Highway. And News 9 has learned a local police department was helping them.

State Highway 81 in Union City was shut down for about 10 hours Saturday night while the crew taped the show. Burn out marks and a black oily substance still remained on the highway Wednesday.

The Discovery Channel show Street Outlaws is said to be about illegal racing on the streets of Oklahoma City, but in reality they were shooting about 20 miles outside OKC in Union City.

When News 9 photojournalist Cody McDonell showed up with a camera Saturday night he was told he had to leave. A guy wearing a T-shirt flashed a badge and identified himself as a "police officer in Oklahoma".

And even though News 9 was on a public street, a Union City police officer stepped in and threatened to throw our photojournalist in jail.

Officers on the scene said since this was permitted area we were not allowed to be there. On Wednesday Union City Police Chief Robert Ague said we were creating a hazard.
Share this Story
TweetFacebookEmail

"Creates a hazard for the motoring public and whenever you have vehicles sitting off on the side of the road it creates a traffic hazard," he said.

OSU Associate Professor and First Amendment expert Dr. Joey Senat says, in either case, we were well within our rights as a news organization to be there.

Those who live in the area say the racing on the highway has become a common occurrence.

Shieber says she has no serious issues with the closing of the highway. But the Oklahoma Highway Patrol (OHP) says they received complaints from drivers on Saturday night.

A permit says the show's producers paid $25 to block off the highway beginning at 6 p.m. Ague says they did not notify the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) or OHP.

"Anytime you would shut down a US Highway that was designated a commercial motor vehicle oversized road route without prior approval, we really frown on that," said Lt. Betsy Randolph with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

"If the roadway is going to be shut down we really would rather it not be for illegal purposes as in illegal street racing," said Randolph.

In addition, Randolph says they don't believe there was the proper traffic notices or alternative routes set up. And there's also the issue of the mess left behind.

"The burden on cleaning up the highway on this sort of event goes back to the taxpayers," said Randolph.

This doesn't sound very much different than any other scripted set like Hollywood would do for some movie they are shooting with the exception it appears that the producers of this show did not extend the courtesy to the locals to provide adequate notice of the area being shut down for X amount of time or provide information for alternative routing and notify "all" of the proper authorities of their intentions??

As for the clean up.....it would be nice if the show producers would clean up after themselves so as to not hair lip everyone and not appear to be disrespectful to public property (the road). It would certainly look better to the community around this shut down site if they did..... They really should work with the authorities if they want to continue the show because all the local government has to do is say NO and they are out of business. Then they'll have to find a way to sneak all the test hits and street races in without "really" getting in trouble....
Posted By: QuickDart 502

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/04/14 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's your set-up. Is it still the 502? Procharged is about all i can find through a quick search online.

It is a new combo, all aluminum 528ci wedge. Gonna run this combo this season. A Hemi is already in the works with a F3 for next year.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Street outlaws tonight - 07/05/14 06:27 PM

Quote:

Share this Story
TweetFacebookEmail

So a small town talking head, who got her start in mainstream media chasing ambulances for a radio station, has moved her way up the food chain, and wanted to get a juicy 90 second clip of cars doing a burnout on the street. When the producers denied her, she turned all her journalistic spite towards them in an obvious attempt to discredit the show. WOW! Yellow journalism at it's finest. The biggest farce in reality television is the evening news these days...
© 2024 Moparts Forums