Moparts

front runners opinions

Posted By: deaks

front runners opinions - 06/18/14 12:53 AM

I am thinking of changing my 27.5 mickey thompson sportsman fronts on my car for the 27.5 hoosier drag fronts. When i fitted them, i was thinking i might use it on the street but now realise that was a mistake. The M/T's are 20# a side as opposed to 11# a side for the hoosiers, that's an 18# saving right at the front.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 01:00 AM

Soooo whats the question?

Comparing the MT Sportsman to the Hoosier Drag front isn't apples to apples. Compare MT's ET FRONT with the DRAG front and I bet the weight is closer. Neither are Street legal however. Not sure if that matters across the pond.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 01:01 AM

You'll only get a few hundred miles out of them also

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 01:21 AM

Sorry it wasn't really a question, just wanted an opinion. The car is drag only now Greg, so road mileage is not an issue.I was thinking more about losing a few pounds and if it would help weight transfer.
Mick
Posted By: D-50

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 01:22 AM

I am thinking about going to M/T ET Fronts. Is that the tire you have now and changing to Hossier front. I hope to loose some weight and wondering if you are saying the hossier tires are 18 lbs lighter than the M/T ET Front tires.
Thanks...

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 01:27 AM

No the sportsman fronts are 20# each and the hoosier fronts are 11# each. The M/T ET fronts are 12# each.
Mick
Posted By: D-50

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 01:34 AM

Quote:

No the sportsman fronts are 20# each and the hoosier fronts are 11# each. The M/T ET fronts are 12# each.
Mick

Thanks for the info..........
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 02:21 AM

Yes Mick that's quite a bit of weight savings and I think you should see a gain somewhere on your ticket. Maybe some of the 60' your looking for.....

I was just stating that the drag only front tires do not last but a little while when used on the street, especially if you have a spool.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 02:25 AM

Quote:

Sorry it wasn't really a question, just wanted an opinion. The car is drag only now Greg, so road mileage is not an issue.I was thinking more about losing a few pounds and if it would help weight transfer.
Mick

I went from a 165 something radial to the et fronts and iirc it was 6-8 lbs. per tire difference..............well wort it and I drive the et fronts on the street but it does track funny.............
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 02:16 PM

I went from a 165 something radial to the et fronts and iirc it was 6-8 lbs. per tire difference..............well wort it and I drive the et fronts on the street but it does track funny.............

They track funny b/c they're bias ply. They have a whole different feel than a radial up front.
I drove on the street for a couple years w/ ET Fronts and never had any problems. Lasted a lot longer than a couple hundred miles.

I now have the sportsman fronts b/c I drive it more on the street now than I did when it had ET Fronts. I had a 14.5:1 motor in it when I had ET Fronts no it, lol.
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 03:27 PM

I like the Moroso Drag Special. Had good luck with them and even some street use. 11# each.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/17100/10002/-1

Attached picture 8179837-v10.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: front runners opinions - 06/18/14 06:05 PM

Quote:

They track funny b/c they're bias ply. They have a whole different feel than a radial up front.
I drove on the street for a couple years w/ ET Fronts and never had any problems. Lasted a lot longer than a couple hundred miles.

I now have the sportsman fronts b/c I drive it more on the street now than I did when it had ET Fronts. I had a 14.5:1 motor in it when I had ET Fronts no it, lol.

I realize the bias are a bear on the street but the weight reduction is definately worth it for me..........
© 2024 Moparts Forums