Low deck big block

whats the current best option

Is everyone satisfied with MSD stuff ?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/15/14 10:47 PM

MSD
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/15/14 10:49 PM

I like Firecore products.... I have one of their Distributors on my car. I know too many people that have issues with MSD ignitions.... Just my two cents!!
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/15/14 11:25 PM

Get the entire package from Firecore50 just drop SunroofGTX a PM and he will hook you up with the good stuff.I haven't tried the ignition box yet but if my MSD 6Al ever fails I will give Rick a call for one of his ignition boxes.
Gus

Attached picture 8177168-savoyburnout.jpg
Posted By: therocks

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 12:02 AM

MSd.Look at the track and see what most are running.Rocky
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 12:08 AM

MSD is over priced and overrated. I use Firecore whenever I can.
Keith
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 02:30 AM

I still use the Mopar tach drive stuff...BUT if I were ever to change it all over,I would go with Mallory on everything.
Posted By: dirty magnum

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 02:33 AM

msdddddddddddddddddddddd
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 02:36 AM

Looks like MSD is winning
Posted By: 383man

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 02:41 AM

Quote:

MSd.Look at the track and see what most are running.Rocky

That is right as almost everyone I know (other then me) runs MSD and thats almost all you see at the track. From what I hear the Firecore is also a great dist. And I would think there would be a few MSD problems sometimes but when you consisder how many MSD units are out there its not to many that had problems. Myself I think Firecore and MSD are both nice dist and you cant go wrong using either. I run Mallory dist with no vacum advance as it is one of the race dist but I picked it up cheap and it works great for me. It looks to use the same magnetic pickup the Mopar dist has in it. Ron

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 02:53 AM

If anyone has contact with Sparky

let him know I sent him a email

and a PM Here
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:10 AM

I run stock dizzy , all the rest over paid chevy gutted crap
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:33 AM

Quote:

If anyone has contact with Sparky

let him know I sent him a email

and a PM Here

Done
Gus

Attached picture 8177413-frontveiwsavoy.jpg
Posted By: racerx

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:52 AM

One of the things that I hear bout the Fire core dist. is that clear some of the aftermarket valve covers on the low deck blocks that there alone is a + in my book.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:53 AM

MSD distributers are the worst engineered pieces of junk but at least they used crappy materials so they will rot away from the inside out

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:00 AM

Quote:

MSD distributers are the worst engineered pieces of junk but at least they used crappy materials so they will rot away from the inside out

dang do you keep yours outside?
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:00 AM

PM sent. Is this for a race or streetcar? Talk to you in a little bit.

You need to click and paste the whole below link, not just the underlined.. Thanks

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109709.0.html
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:01 AM

Quote:

I still use the Mopar tach drive stuff...BUT if I were ever to change it all over,I would go with Mallory on everything.

LOL,,,,,I'm still using a 40 year old tach driver too

Already spoke to Rick and will get dist,wires & coil from FireCore

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:03 AM

race car
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:25 AM

Quote:

race car

Crank trigger everyone has their own experience.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post8144685

Russ
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:29 AM

I put all Mallory ignition stuff on my race car many years ago and it was basically a "set & forget" deal! HyFire VI AL, 32 series magnetic pick-up distributor and recommended coil. Accel 8.8 wires and plugs as well. I'm really surprised that more people don't run their stuff, considering the stories I hear.

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:34 AM

Car currently has basic set up

It has a stock (slightly re-worked) Mopar dist

And, 1st ... the "chrome" box

after 2-3 runs, car would shut off after the run and not re-fire for 5 minutes or so

So, bought another Chrome box

problem fixed ..

Until one night round 7

miss,miss,miss ..

I make it thru the round by dumb luck, hustle back swap the new one for the old one (cold)

Made it another round and then back to hard starting so ..

I bought a rev-e-nator

The claims the make .. hogwash

but, the car worked ok, no issues

But this year again after 3-4 runs

Runs like poo

I put a bag of ice on it between rounds and it run great until high gear and then missed and lost the round

so, I'm swapping batteries

Ign box

dist

wires

coil

and hoping that its gone ..

It will not miss on runs 1-2

3rd ..not often but

4th, 5th round every time
Posted By: GY3

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:35 AM

Why not do a locked out Chrysler electronic distributor (or recurved) in conjunction with an MSD 6AL?

I like it because the Chrysler electronic distributors are stone reliable and you can get parts from any parts store.

I use Taylor wires but will change over to Firecore when these need replaced.

Lots of friends with MSD distributors with severe internal corrosion
issues and I don't care for their wires either..

Swap out the magnetic pickup. Sounds like a similar issue I had..
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:42 AM

MSD on all my junk.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:50 AM

Quote:

MSD on all my junk.

No rust, flawless for many years and locked out w/no issues. Of course living out west helps w/the rust issues so many seem to have...........
Posted By: rebel

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 12:01 PM

on my junk I'm using the old Holley Pro Strip Annihilator. shame they went out of production as they are such an easy to configure ignition & reliable as hell. I have a crank trigger controlling the timing & have a gutted ProComp distributor. I did have an MSD Pro Billet distributor but it was huge & had to be removed to get the rocker covers off. for just distributing the spark this Chinese POS works fine, easy to phase & small enough to allow access under the covers. the magnetic trigger inside these things is rubbish but when you not using it these work a treat & cheap!

Attached picture 8177611-25-08-09_20161.jpg

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MSD on all my junk.

No rust, flawless for many years and locked out w/no issues. Of course living out west helps w/the rust issues so many seem to have...........

I have one nearly 10 years old and still looks like new
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 01:40 PM

BigDad,

Sounds almost like you only just need to find a cooler location to mount your ECU.
Where is it mounted now?

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 01:45 PM

Inside car, on inner floorboard ..

I don't think heat is a issue, its mounted on a stand for an air gap also

Possible yes but, doubtful..

I think we can all agree the ol chrome boxes have never been great , and with them being made off shore now they are of less quality than ever

And, I'm not much of a fan of the Rev-n-nator either .
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 02:07 PM

I have an MSD ditributor (not a dizzy). Crane HI6 box. NO problems in 7 years. My buddy has MSD boxes and he has had problems. May be that he doesn't solder the wire connections, just crimps them. When I had my race only engine I was turning 6800 in the lights. Now with my street engine I shift a 6000 and ease through at 4800.

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:07 PM

Doubtful if the ECU gets enough cooling this way, but then again, they were supposed to operate good in an engine bay aswell.

I personally would like to create some 'forced' cooling with either an extra little fan blowing at it, or put it in a place where it gets fresh air, like the front of the radiator support.

I've ran a Mopar gold ECU once which lasted exactly 1 run. On the far end of the track the engine barely kept running and was just able to make it back to the pits.
It was however mounted high on the front of the rad. support frame.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:16 PM

I have been running a D.U.I. for many years now on my sm blk. I like the 1 wire hook up all inclusive thing. Makes life simpler. They make a smaller cap version for BB valve cover clearance ( external coil ). Run they're jacketed 8MM wires also. I run a dedicated 12 gauge wire to it which keeps it supplied with 14 volts and output is 55K.

Attached picture 8177693-livewires.jpg

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:32 PM

Quote:

Doubtful if the ECU gets enough cooling this way, but then again, they were supposed to operate good in an engine bay aswell.

I personally would like to create some 'forced' cooling with either an extra little fan blowing at it, or put it in a place where it gets fresh air, like the front of the radiator support.

I've ran a Mopar gold ECU once which lasted exactly 1 run. On the far end of the track the engine barely kept running and was just able to make it back to the pits.
It was however mounted high on the front of the rad. support frame.

That kinda shoots the needing air theory then cause,not many places where it could see more air circulation than that ?

I think those Mopar(style) boxes are just plain lousy
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:36 PM

When I used to use the mopar boxes I always had two mounted in my Duster. One to get there and one to get home. I'm serious I always had two side by side just in case and the just in case came into play once in awhile.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 03:50 PM

Had the same issues with the "chrome" box on the Mirada long ago. Even moved the ecu to the front of the rad support where it would get airflow around it....it would still act up on occasion. Switched to MSD 6AL and Pro Billet distributer and never looked back. The distrib was still a tight fit with the stage VI heads and MP valve covers. Had to trim a bit, but from what I've gathered....the old boat is still running. I liked the MSD distributer. Pop off the cap and rotor and it was easily adjusted with the supplied springs and offset spacers.

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:31 PM

Quote:

When I used to use the mopar boxes I always had two mounted in my Duster. One to get there and one to get home. I'm serious I always had two side by side just in case and the just in case came into play once in awhile.

I'm running 2 ECU's mounted right next to eachother aswell in my daily '73.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:45 PM

Firecore dizzy here. I like it.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:54 PM

MSD Dizzy here and its been good to me so far. Its coming out this winter and I am doing away with the carburetor and the MSD and going fuel injection with coil on plug.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 04:58 PM

MSD here with a crank trigger, and yes its rusty.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 09:23 PM

Firecore MEchanical Distributor, Firecore Ignition Box, Firecore Mini-Coil, Firecore50 Ignition Wires. Zero ignition System worries.
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 09:45 PM

Ignition box msd; distributor stock shift at 7000 rpm. Hasn't caused a problem yet.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/16/14 09:52 PM

MP tach drive dist. Crane Box and coil, Firecore wires.

Mark

Attached picture 8178037-4-2014006-Copy.JPG
Posted By: JCFcuda

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/17/14 12:01 AM

Mallory Ignition Box - HyFire VIIS easy to set up,
Stock Dis, MSD crank trigger.
Jim
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/17/14 03:07 PM

I have an 11 year old MSD pro billet distributor on my hemi. The inside is crusty looking, but never had a problem w/ it. Recently switched to a crank trigger...runs the same. The rust evidently doesn't hurt anything.
For a crank trigger deal, you can run pretty much any distributor and be fine.

I have MSD 6al boxes on all our cars. I don't care for the MP boxes and the ridiculous claims made about the Rev-n-ator were enough to convince me never to buy one.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/17/14 06:17 PM

Has anybody used one of the inexpensive ones on the market now?

At $55 for a new distributor with good features, somebody must have tried them.
Ebay link - 440 Mopar Distributor
Quote:

• A billet of 6061 - T6 aluminum CNC is machined into a perfect housing for incredible strength, precision and looks.

• Sealed ball bearings, sintered bushing, 1/2 inch hardened steel shaft
• Extremely accurate magnetic pickup which never requires adjustment.
• Designed with a small base and cap to suit all makes and models.
• This is mainly used in high performance vehicles which have space limitations around the engine.

Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/17/14 06:48 PM

Looks like the same as the Pro-Comp one - I got one in a box - I used it for a month - yours for the shipping
Posted By: Mopar Guy

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/17/14 09:33 PM

MP tach drive dist is my choise as they are relyebell ! Im not so inprest of what every one seam to go for as almost al parts are assembeld in Taiwan these days for more profit what ever they advertyse and brag about so the only thing i use from MSD is the coil as the Revenator works good whit that.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/18/14 02:56 AM

Quote:

Has anybody used one of the inexpensive ones on the market now?

At $55 for a new distributor with good features, somebody must have tried them.
Ebay link - 440 Mopar Distributor
Quote:

• A billet of 6061 - T6 aluminum CNC is machined into a perfect housing for incredible strength, precision and looks.

• Sealed ball bearings, sintered bushing, 1/2 inch hardened steel shaft
• Extremely accurate magnetic pickup which never requires adjustment.
• Designed with a small base and cap to suit all makes and models.
• This is mainly used in high performance vehicles which have space limitations around the engine.

yep, if you look back a page you'll even see my pic of my motor with one fitted. as I said in my post, it's a great dizzy but it's internal magnetic trigger is rubbish, but if you're using a crank trigger, these dizzys work well.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/18/14 05:55 AM

I like and use the stock Mopar magnetic pickup distributors with vacume and mecahical advance. I weld the slots up to limit the mechanical advance to 18 to 20 crankshaft degrees , 9 to 10 distributor degrees, so I can set the initial timing at or cloes to 14 to 16 BTDC I buy the Mr Gasket Chevy distributor spring advance kit and use both of those skinny little short rascals I think the Mr G part # is 25B, if not let me know and I'll go out in the shop tomorrow and verify the correct part number for you
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/19/14 07:57 PM

Quote:

yep, if you look back a page you'll even see my pic of my motor with one fitted. as I said in my post, it's a great dizzy but it's internal magnetic trigger is rubbish, but if you're using a crank trigger, these dizzys work well.

When I first read your post I missed the connection to the ProComp distributor in the middle, I looked it over too quickly. I imagine most of these off brand ones are made in the same factory. Thanks for the feedback.
I used a stock distributor with the weights welded with my crank trigger for many years. But now I am waiting on a KB alumuminum block and their "low deck" still uses a RB distributor so I need to buy something. For $55 I could disable the mechanical advance for use with my crank trigger and MSD ignition box. New housing (CNC), new ball bearings, etc. and it clears the valve covers with Indy heads

Attached picture 8181212-ProComp_Distributer.jpg
Posted By: GY3

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/19/14 08:06 PM

Quote:

I like and use the stock Mopar magnetic pickup distributors with vacume and mecahical advance. I weld the slots up to limit the mechanical advance to 18 to 20 crankshaft degrees , 9 to 10 distributor degrees, so I can set the initial timing at or cloes to 14 to 16 BTDC I buy the Mr Gasket Chevy distributor spring advance kit and use both of those skinny little short rascals I think the Mr G part # is 25B, if not let me know and I'll go out in the shop tomorrow and verify the correct part number for you

The Mr.Gasket spring # for Chrysler electronic dist. Is #925B
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/19/14 09:15 PM

MSD for years now with no problems
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/19/14 10:18 PM

I have this dist sitting here.. I think its a MP part
and its pretty nice.. easy to set the advance on.. just
loosen a screw and slide the advance and tighten the
screw.. this one is new but I forgot where I got it from

Attached picture 8181345-DSC00068.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/19/14 10:19 PM

A close up of how you adjust the advance

Attached picture 8181347-DSC00067.JPG
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/20/14 12:12 AM

Factory stock elec dist. (most are free) with one tiny spring, all in when started, MSD 6 or 7 and right coil. Then worry about other things more important. All i used since 1974, still got the 7 box with the 5 pin hook up. So simple a cave man can use one.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/20/14 06:12 AM

Quote:

Factory stock elec dist. (most are free) with one tiny spring, all in when started, MSD 6 or 7 and right coil. Then worry about other things more important. All i used since 1974, still got the 7 box with the 5 pin hook up. So simple a cave man can use one.

My MSD 404 C box quit at the MATS race three years ago, it was Sunday morning, I was the first car in the left lane for the first round of Pro and the box to a hike I had a spare MSD7C in the trailer that I could have swapped and bought back in but I figure it wasn't meant to be that day so I put in the trailer and towed it home 850 miles without a fisrt round win Nothing last forever, even the best parts die and wear out
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/20/14 04:26 PM

Add me to the list still using the old MP tach drive dizzy. Still using the old mechanical SW tach, too, left over from the old factory race days.....
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/20/14 09:27 PM

Quote:

Add me to the list still using the old MP tach drive dizzy. Still using the old mechanical SW tach, too, left over from the old factory race days.....

Same here and I'm not changing it..no reason to.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Which distributor is everyone's preference - 06/21/14 01:31 PM

I am building a spare stock distributor and am going to test it on the street with a Pertronics II inside against my current MP adjustable dist and stock mopar electronic ignition. A few years ago I took out my chrome ECU and installed a stock ECU from the early 70s and it ran I think better than the chrome box. So I have a stock real mopar ECU in there now.
Welded up the slots the other night. I still have have to fine tune the weld, won't know that until I get it in the car since I don't have a dist machine. I do have a spare sb sitting ready to run, I may use it to fine tune my mechanical advance?

© 2024 Moparts Forums