Moparts

sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ?

Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 03:08 PM

I want to add 2 wilson nitrous pop off plates to my Hemi crossram and was wondering if anyone had any pics of there setup ?

I want to use 2, either in the top plates or over each freeze plug hole at the ends (I think the ends would look better)

A friend just had his Indy bathtub pop at startup - He only had 1 blow off plate and it still caused some damage, but not as severe as another buddy who had one blow with no relief valve

Still not alot of surface area conpared to 8 throttle blades so I wonder if the 2 wilsons would be enough or a waste of money ?

They use a 1.25 hole each. This is a street car so I need a relief that is re-settable.

Thanks
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 03:48 PM

These are not Wilson's , but this is what I am using.

Mark

Attached picture 8169331-!cid_00da01cd1b71$3680d680$93DD44F9@MobileUnit1.jpg

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 09:26 PM

Mark - Are you using 2 in your manifold ?

It looks good mounted in the end.

Any chance you remember the manufacturer?

Thank You for the picture

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 10:03 PM

Quote:

Yes I am using two. They are Nitrous Proflow.
Here is a link : http://www.nitrousproflow.com/products/burst-panels/manifold-pressure-relief-valve.html

Mark

Attached picture 8169681-!cid_00d901cd1b71$3680d680$93DD44F9@MobileUnit1.jpg

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 10:06 PM

Thanks for all the info Mark.. Appreciate it
Posted By: brads70

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 10:06 PM

Quote:

http://www.nitrousproflow.com/products/burst-panels/manifold-pressure-relief-valve.html

I bought this for my STR-14 intake but have yet to use either one
Posted By: jcc

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 10:28 PM

How tall is that item, trying to figure the amount of clearance needed, it looks nice.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/08/14 10:31 PM

You could just run aluminum carb studs and watch the carbs launch off it.

Just kidding....

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 01:10 AM

Quote:

How tall is that item, trying to figure the amount of clearance needed, it looks nice.

If you still need the dimensions tomorrow, I can measure it for you.

Mark

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 02:59 AM

Thanks, it would help me pick a location for mounting, as in my case it will be tight.

Also, would anybody be concerned about dumping raw fuel if it was on bottom of a manifold? seems like the sneeze would consume all the fuel anyway.
Posted By: dvw

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 05:06 AM

I popped my Indy manifold last year. I did add a nitrous relief valve. However after learning how to start the engine I've never had an issue again. I used to crank it with no igntion and then click it on while cranking. Bad idea, fills the manifold with fuel and BAM! Pump off during start-up (safety precaution). Cold start, 2-3 pumps, let set 30 seconds, then 1 pump, crank with throttle 1/3 open. Very cold, choke carbs with covers or hand. Warm, 1/3 throttle and crank.
If for some reason it doesn't start, wait for a few minutes with the throttles open , then repeat steps. Your intake will thank you.
Doug

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 04:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks, it would help me pick a location for mounting, as in my case it will be tight.

Also, would anybody be concerned about dumping raw fuel if it was on bottom of a manifold? seems like the sneeze would consume all the fuel anyway.

I measured 1.150" from mount surface to top of nyloc nuts. The nuts could be tightened a small amount.
It was also suggested here by Monte that plastic/nylon fasteners used to mount the lid allow for a large backfire. But you would have to be prepared to replace them on the street.
Hope this helps.
Mark

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 05:55 PM

Thank you Mark.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 06:06 PM

If you have room, would this do the same thing? A bit pricey, but another option...

http://inductionsolutions.com/shop/burst-platespop-offs/pressure-relief-plate/

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 08:10 PM

I like the concept and simplicity a lot, and in my situation it would be of no concern, but I wonder do the 4 side ports cause any disruption of the air flow in critical applications?
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: sneeze valves for MP Crossram.. Anyone ? - 06/09/14 08:50 PM

Because of the area of the holes, even with two pop off valves, chances are really good that you will bend the throttle blades when it sneezes. That is why I like the plastic bolts. It simply lifts the top with NO damage to any parts. Take the broken plastic bolts out, reglue the top, new bolts and you are ready to go.

Couple weeks ago I had a Top Sportsman customer develop an ignition box issue and knocked the top off the sheetmetal intake twice in qualifying. Usually a backfire wrecks a sheetmetal intake. His was not hurt, found the box problem and ultimately won the race that weekend.

Plastic bolts for the win.........LOL!!!

Monte
© 2024 Moparts Forums