Moparts

Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp?

Posted By: camastomcat

Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/07/14 02:58 PM

I'm getting tired of struggling with starters and stripping flexplates. My 572 B1 has 16-1 compression, starters aren't lasting. I use the JW Ultrabell, and the JW flexplate. Just curious what the racers use that race weekend after weekend and are successful with.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/07/14 04:02 PM

Quote:

I'm getting tired of struggling with starters and stripping flexplates. My 572 B1 has 16-1 compression, starters aren't lasting. I use the JW Ultrabell, and the JW flexplate. Just curious what the racers use that race weekend after weekend and are successful with.

Whats your cranking cyl pressure
Posted By: GTS340

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/07/14 04:04 PM

I'm assuming you have a start retard and don't turn the ignition on until the starter gets the engine turning?
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/07/14 05:05 PM

You need a Meziere flex plate & while the Meziere starter is the again the best I prefer the Power Master Ultra Torque starter because with a 16 volt battery it will turn your engine faster.
I use a Meziere flex plate Power Master Ultra Torque starter with a Rock 16 volt battery with my dist. locked out @ 35 degrees and don't have to worry about anything else.My engine never ever kicks back,kick back is what gets your stater & flywheel.
By using the Ultra Torque starter & Rock 16 volt battery that turns the engine much faster it may be like putting a band aid on the problem if someone want's to call it that but if it works I call it Fixed.
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/07/14 06:17 PM

too bad a cummins starter couldntr be used
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/07/14 07:11 PM

Quote:

You need a Meziere flex plate & while the Meziere starter is the again the best I prefer the Power Master Ultra Torque starter because with a 16 volt battery it will turn your engine faster.
I use a Meziere flex plate Power Master Ultra Torque starter with a Rock 16 volt battery with my dist. locked out @ 35 degrees and don't have to worry about anything else.My engine never ever kicks back,kick back is what gets your stater & flywheel.
By using the Ultra Torque starter & Rock 16 volt battery that turns the engine much faster it may be like putting a band aid on the problem if someone want's to call it that but if it works I call it Fixed.

Attached picture 8168663-image.jpg
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/08/14 01:10 AM

Tom..

I've used these for as long as I can remember..

http://www.reactorproducts.com/

Replaceable ring gear too..

But I've never needed to replace one..

I use the power master starter..

Chris..
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/08/14 03:55 AM

IMO Reactor is the best I have ever used. Have not tried Meziere but I have also never had an issue with the JW and mopar mini. Well other than dropping one off my toolbox and breaking it. Also have not had issues with the Powermaster mini either.

FWIW I always getting the engine spinning before hitting the ignition switch. Also I do not use any starter retard either.

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/08/14 05:34 AM

How does the reactor flexplate work with the Ultrabell? Do you still need the spacer?
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/08/14 10:08 AM

Quote:

How does the reactor flexplate work with the Ultrabell? Do you still need the spacer?

Call there and talk to Olan.. Tell him your set up and he will fix you up.

I use a TCI adapter with the Reactor. Also use the TCI crank hub on the flexplate for converter spacing and centering.
Works well for me.

Chris..

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/08/14 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Call there and talk to Olan.. Tell him your set up and he will fix you up.

I use a TCI adapter with the Reactor. Also use the TCI crank hub on the flexplate for converter spacing and centering.
Works well for me.

Chris..

Thanks guys, I'll check that out.
Posted By: brktracr

Re: Which starter/flexplate do you use with 16-1 comp? - 06/10/14 02:56 AM

I also use the Power Master starter without any issues.
© 2024 Moparts Forums