Moparts

Best heads for boosted smallblock?

Posted By: 80arrow

Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 03:47 AM

I have a couple posts going on my cylinder head problem. If I do go with different heads what do you guys feel are the best heads for a 408 59* block boosted small block?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 04:05 AM

How fast are you looking to go and with what budget. Simple good old dependable Edelbrock heads are easily flowing 300-310 plus cfm with porting. No leaks, no issues, and easy to find rocker and good intake manifolds.
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 04:12 AM

LOL! Hard to argue that one!

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 04:40 AM

I'm running a 360-1 right now. They do leak so that's not a good point. They flow 340. I was thinking about mopar "w" series heads. I want to go fairly fast I guess, lol.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 05:17 AM

Go with a 48* w9 head and run a offset rocker like you have with the Indy. Then If you grow again you can get matching block.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 05:22 AM

Things like This is why LS formats are so popular..

Chris
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 05:28 AM

Quote:

How fast are you looking to go and with what budget. Simple good old dependable Edelbrock heads are easily flowing 300-310 plus cfm with porting. No leaks, no issues, and easy to find rocker and good intake manifolds.

what I did.

Attached picture 8166243-eddy2.jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 05:29 AM

intake port

Attached picture 8166244-eddy5.jpg
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 03:39 PM

Best? That's extremely subjective... What are your goals? I run Eddy RPMs, but I'd go to W9's if I had the coin.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 04:11 PM

You have the 360-1 but someone went too far with the
ports.. thats not the fault of the heads... they would
be my choice again but less porting... a standard CNC
port job would be it.. your running boost, if you want
more, just turn it up... that way all your parts will
work.. going to a W-9 will cost you big time.. every
thing from the head, rockers, lifters, pushrods, intake
valley, intake and custom headers... thats gonna cost.. its
not even cheap if you build most of the stuff yourself....
good luck with it
Posted By: MattW

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 08:46 PM

Keep in mind that the biggest thing with boost or the sauce, is that what goes in must come out.
I would think exhaust flow numbers would be more important.
Matt
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 08:57 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that the biggest thing with boost or the sauce, is that what goes in must come out.
I would think exhaust flow numbers would be more important.
Matt

Thats very very true... its easier to put more pressure
to the intake side but it still has to get out.. depending
on what style of pressure it is(turbo or blower) they
dont need the collector.. get it out as fast as possible

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/05/14 11:40 PM

Its a procharged set-up. I'm leaning towards another set of Indy's at the moment, but that could change.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/06/14 01:32 PM

Quote:

Its a procharged set-up. I'm leaning towards another set of Indy's at the moment, but that could change.

I know INDY had a great exhaust on the first run of CNC heads. They flowed 245 and up.
I THINK they changed it due to them breaking into the water jacket.
IMO INDY has a good design but a questionable product. IF you going to purchase a set, get them through a dealer have them checked out and I mean check everything.
Matt
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/06/14 05:30 PM

Stay away from the 245 heads, the 230 seem to have less problems.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/06/14 11:56 PM

Figure out how much power you want to make and how much RPM you want to turn.

My Stock ported iron '308 heads with a sub .500" lift cam made ~725hp at only 240~250cfm flow.

The boost will make power on just about anything... no need to get carried away on the heads.

I just got a set of eddy for mine (to replace the cracked iron heads). They flow 290~300cfm with the MCH CNC port job. That is more then enough for the Chevy guys to make over 1000hp on a 80mm turbo. So no reason why a mopar can't do it either.

How much power do you want to make? How big of a blower/turbo? How much RPM? How much CID?

Same questions for a N/A motor still apply for boost.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/07/14 12:25 AM

Home ported Eddy heads for me...
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/07/14 12:54 AM

Quote:

My Stock ported iron '308 heads with a sub .500" lift cam made ~725hp at only 240~250cfm flow.

The boost will make power on just about anything... no need to get carried away on the heads.

I just got a set of eddy for mine (to replace the cracked iron heads). They flow 290~300cfm with the MCH CNC port job. That is more then enough for the Chevy guys to make over 1000hp on a 80mm turbo. So no reason why a mopar can't do it either.

How much power do you want to make? How big of a blower/turbo? How much RPM? How much CID?

I think he has far exceeded that already
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/07/14 03:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think he has far exceeded that already

Not saying that he doesn't can't make more...just making a point that flow isn't as important on a boosted car like n/a
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/07/14 04:07 AM

But with more flow you can make the same power with less boost or more power with the same boost.

Kevin
Posted By: instigator

Re: Best heads for boosted smallblock? - 06/07/14 08:26 AM

With edelbrocks and basic p trim twin 61 mm turbos went 5.60's at 128 MPh at roughly 34-3500 lbs....definetly could have squeezed more but trans let go...

Couple years later put a set of 230 cc indys with gt 42 sized twin 72 mm turbos and went 128 MPh in the 1/8th with 9 lbs less boost....was definetly making quite a bit more steam with the indys...but I actually feel the turbos were most of the reason...

1300+ should be capable with edelbrocks with enough boost on our smallblocks
© 2024 Moparts Forums