Moparts

Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp

Posted By: Dragula

Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 03:29 AM

I am at a cross roads and the little Eddy Pump I have gets me thru the 1/8th mile, but pressure really comes down after that, so its time for properly sized one....We are running 512 cubes and 9.80's making around 730hp on 93 octane..

Been looking at something that is easy on power usage as well as long lasting and preferably a built in filter....

Looking at a magna fuel 275, but I really like the set-up I usually use which is an Aeromotive A1000....Both pull 8 amps with a carburator...The A1000 needs an added full return system....So I am on the fence, what do you guys use?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 03:40 AM

while they don't have integral fuel filters, we've run the Holley Volumax 250gph pumps under both our cars for 10+ years with no issues with either.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 04:02 AM

Quote:

I am at a cross roads and the little Eddy Pump I have gets me thru the 1/8th mile, but pressure really comes down after that, so its time for properly sized one....We are running 512 cubes and 9.80's making around 730hp on 93 octane..

Been looking at something that is easy on power usage as well as long lasting and preferably a built in filter....

Looking at a magna fuel 275, but I really like the set-up I usually use which is an Aeromotive A1000....Both pull 8 amps with a carburator...The A1000 needs an added full return system....So I am on the fence, what do you guys use?

Magnafuel all the way ( pump, filters, regulator, fittings ). Cadillac of fuel systems.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 04:50 AM

I am/was running a magna 275.
my HP was a little higher then your's and never had a prob..
I will prob. be selling it soon to go with a bigger pump.
mine doesn't have the built in filter though.
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 04:54 AM

Pretty sure Gorski still peddles pumps
I have two 140's ( i think ) in my tank ..
Pretty quiet actually ..
Kept consistent pressure after 3 years ..
My summits failed , mallorys would poop out
Aeromotives were loud ..

I like them .
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 05:20 AM

Magna 500 here with the filter

Attached picture 8148751-6.27.12034.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Magnafuel all the way ( pump, filters, regulator, fittings ). Cadillac of fuel systems.

YUP................Had the same issues. Good 1/8 th et`s and no top end so the 300 Magnafuel solved that and all of my fuel issues. 100 Micron pre-filter none after and it rocks now.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 05:52 PM

My Demon had 2 each BG 400s. The fuel was filtered before the pump. The pump that supplied the motor (the other was for the juice side) had worn through the nylon insert with the steel vanes and was eating into the aluminum housing. No filter to catch the crap going downstream to the regulator and carb. I will be adding one post-filter.

Holley bought BG and the parts to fix the situation are available luckily. AN10 feed line to the motor.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 10:16 PM

Quote:

My Demon had 2 each BG 400s. The fuel was filtered beforer the pump. The pump that supplied the motor (the other was for the juice side) had worn through the nylon insert with the steel vanes and was eating into the aluminum housing. No filter to catch the crap going downstream to the regulator and carb. I will be adding one post-filter.

Holley bought BG and the parts to fix the situation are available luckily. AN12 feed line to the motor.

I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe!!!

Attached picture 8149257-bgcarnage.jpg

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 10:19 PM

Sooooo anyways...... lol Has anybody tried the Quick Fuel pumps? I believe they are a revamped BG design with the same dimensions but less prone to falling apart in catastrophic fashion..... The 30-230 is for street use and supports up to 1200 hp SUPPOSEDLY.....

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My Demon had 2 each BG 400s. The fuel was filtered beforer the pump. The pump that supplied the motor (the other was for the juice side) had worn through the nylon insert with the steel vanes and was eating into the aluminum housing. No filter to catch the crap going downstream to the regulator and carb. I will be adding one post-filter.

Holley bought BG and the parts to fix the situation are available luckily. AN12 feed line to the motor.

I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe!!!

That doesn`t look good............ I`ve helped a couple guy`s w/BG stuff and ALL of it was junk.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 10:51 PM

Hard to go wrong with Product Engineering, or Magnafuel.

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 10:52 PM

Holley bought the BG design and has made parts to fix the BG pumps. They are sold under the Quick Fuel brand now. They use more vanes in the 400 and they are carbon I think. My point is that it is a good idea to have a post-pump filter.

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 10:52 PM

It was in my buddy's Nova. My friend told me to buy a base, I'm tossing it. Why bother? I have three engines, less than 500hp in the car now, 650hp and 860hp. I don't think any of them need a BG400 anyways, and the nitrous in the car has it's own dedicated BG280 pump, wouldn't mind getting rid of that too !!

Car won't idle, THEN the pump started leaking. I knew the pumps were crappy, but obviously aluminum has ran through the fuel system and into the carb, it's got to come apart too.

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/19/14 10:54 PM

Quote:

Holley bought the BG design and has made parts to fix the BG pumps. They use more vanes in the 400 and they are carbon I think. My point is that it is a good idea to have a post-pump filter.

Yup. Mine is getting one!

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 12:18 AM

Quote:

Holley bought the BG design and has made parts to fix the BG pumps. They use more vanes in the 400 and they are carbon I think. My point is that it is a good idea to have a post-pump filter.

Good point then..........
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 12:21 AM

mallory comp 250
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 02:17 AM

I run the a1000 on my 700+HP e85 turbo car. Its been flawless so far.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 02:27 AM

Quote:

mallory comp 250

yep mallory comp 250 with a bypass system will handle anything you can throw at it.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 02:48 AM

Quote:

X 2! Product Engineering is one of the best. Last I knew they made the only big pump rated for continuous duty. Great pump and an excellent customer service to go along with it.

Posted By: 572_HEMI_Cuda

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 02:13 PM

A single A1000 for me.
Posted By: LUMI

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 04:35 PM

Product Engineering here too

Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 05:38 PM

For the power you are running a Mallory 140 with a 3 port return style regulator will work real well.
If you want to go over kill you could go with the Mallory 250 and the return can go right back to the tank from the pump.
http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/maa-5250

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 06:11 PM

Quote:

It was in my buddy's Nova. My friend told me to buy a base, I'm tossing it. Why bother? I have three engines, less than 500hp in the car now, 650hp and 860hp. I don't think any of them need a BG400 anyways, and the nitrous in the car has it's own dedicated BG280 pump, wouldn't mind getting rid of that too !!

Car won't idle, THEN the pump started leaking. I knew the pumps were crappy, but obviously aluminum has ran through the fuel system and into the carb, it's got to come apart too.

I couldn't find any of the debris in the regulator so it must be in the carb or it may have been sent back to the tank via the return line. My Demon also had a seperate nitrous fuel system with a 400 BG pump and it's own return regulator. I am gonna try to combine all that into a single tank and pump with two regulators. Funny but the nitrous pump was fine inside.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/20/14 08:23 PM

pressure would never drop with my Mallory 140 @140mph

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/21/14 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't find any of the debris in the regulator so it must be in the carb or it may have been sent back to the tank via the return line. My Demon also had a seperate nitrous fuel system with a 400 BG pump and it's own return regulator. I am gonna try to combine all that into a single tank and pump with two regulators. Funny but the nitrous pump was fine inside.

I have debris in my carb for sure I'm thinking as it runs well but the idle is now affected. I'll pull the carb apart and have a look - maybe try to blow it out. What a pain.
I have separate BG280 for Nova's nitrous system....
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/21/14 04:07 PM

I have a Magna Fuel 300 with filter for sale if interested.
I was keeping it for a spare but the MF 500 I replaced the 300 with doesnt seem to need a spare?
PM me if interested.
Thanks, Don

Attached picture 8151105-fuelpump.JPG
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 12:28 AM

Quote:

I'm just over the 700hp mark, and run Product Engineering pump.

I sent mine in the other day to get it rebuilt after 7 years of running for about 5000 miles and regularly sitting for up to 3 and 4 months of sitting between uses. I'm told by John that is not good for them.

John at Product Engineering told me to run the pump at least once a week to keep the seals lubed and I won't have this problem again. I will do so from now on.

He also told me he tests each pump, and if it can't pull fuel from 2 feet above the fuel level, the pumps don't go out his door. I've looked around and all other pumps I've seen have to be mounted below the fuel level.

Mine is mounted above my tank in the trunk. It's a beast when it comes to flowing some serious fuel. It can fill a gallon jug in about 9 seconds.

I'm in the process of designing a different fuel system using an in tank pump with road race style 4-pod fuel pick-ups, a surge tank with another pump in it with a regulator and a return regulator at the front of the car to get the pressures down to carb friendly pressures.

This system will be virtually silent, flow enough fuel for around 1200 normally aspirated horsepower, won't have issues with cavitation or introduce air pockets into the lines when your fuel level gets low and is OEM reliable.

Attached picture 8151549-'Cudaprepaint009(Large).jpg

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 12:41 AM

Quote:

I sent mine in the other day to get it rebuilt after 7 years of running for about 5000 miles and regularly sitting for up to 3 and 4 months of sitting between uses. I'm told by John that is not good for them.

John at Product Engineering told me to run the pump at least once a week to keep the seals lubed and I won't have this problem again. I will do so from now on.

He also told me he tests each pump, and if it can't pull fuel from 2 feet above the fuel level, the pumps don't go out his door.

Mine is mounted above my tank in the trunk. It's a beast when it comes to flowing some serious fuel. It can fill a gallon jug in about 9 seconds.

How did you know it needed a rebuild? I hadn't thought about sending mine in for a checkup but since it's been sitting approximately 5-6 years with no use it sounds like it might be due for a rebuild

Sorry to derail the original question...

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 12:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He also told me he tests each pump, and if it can't pull fuel from 2 feet above the fuel level, the pumps don't go out his door.

How did you know it needed a rebuild? I hadn't thought about sending mine in for a checkup but since it's been sitting approximately 5-6 years with no use it sounds like it might be due for a rebuild

Sorry to derail the original question...

It blew the 40 amp fuse, and once it was replaced, the pump sounded seized.

John, the owner of Product Engineering, said the seal dries out and fails when it sits, which allows the fuel to wash the lube out of the lower bearing and then it seizes up. I'd send it in.

If you are going to store it, run some diesel through it and let it sit like that, but not through your carbs.

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 12:58 AM

Thanks, good to know.
Posted By: johnmilner

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 03:27 AM

Quote:

i ran 9.80 with a cheap holly black pump 15 year ago, never had a problem.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 04:12 AM

I was running the BG 225 HR as it is supposed to be for street use, with a -10 return line to the tank. I have only 3 or so 1/8th mile passes on the car, maybe ten to twelve street miles. The BG pump seized after the 2nd full power pass. I replaced it with a Mallory 250, as it has the capability to raise fuel, and my pump is mounted higher than the tank.
So far so good, but not a lot of runs.
Mark

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 04:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i ran 9.80 with a cheap holly black pump 15 year ago, never had a problem.

You've got the bitchinest car in the Valley.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 05:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He also told me he tests each pump, and if it can't pull fuel from 2 feet above the fuel level, the pumps don't go out his door. I've looked around and all other pumps I've seen have to be mounted below the fuel level.

I'm in the process of designing a different fuel system using an in tank pump with road race style 4-pod fuel pick-ups, a surge tank with another pump in it with a regulator and a return regulator at the front of the car to get the pressures down to carb friendly pressures.

This system will be virtually silent, flow enough fuel for around 1200 normally aspirated horsepower, won't have issues with cavitation or introduce air pockets into the lines when your fuel level gets low and is OEM reliable.

There is a reason they say to mount it at or below
the bottom of the tank...it keeps it wet for the seals
and it will prime easier.... most any pump will lift
2'... but remember that the pump creates a negative
pressure and atmospheric pressure fills it... thats
why they all like a larger supply line going to the pump
Posted By: jp15

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 12:03 PM

WELDON RACING has great systems, check out there site .
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/22/14 05:17 PM

I ran the little Aeromotive 11203 street rod pump on my 800+ hp cuda for a long time. Went 9.50s at 140 mph at 3800 lbs w/ no trouble for years. It was a dead head system.
The same pump is on my road runner now...feeding close to 700 hp.

I now run the Aeromotive A1000 pump and it works great. It feeds both the motor and the nitrous system. Only reason I changed was to go to a return style system for the street. Much better for pump gas/heat/vapor lock.

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/23/14 07:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is a reason they say to mount it at or below
the bottom of the tank...it keeps it wet for the seals
and it will prime easier.... most any pump will lift
2'... but remember that the pump creates a negative
pressure and atmospheric pressure fills it... thats
why they all like a larger supply line going to the pump

I hear you, but the way my lines are routed above the fuel pump, it always has fuel in it. It also has an integral, large fuel filter canister that remains full of fuel. Even when I broke the fittings loose to send the pump in, fuel poured out of the pick-up and return lines. I always prime the pump 3 times for about 5 seconds before I crank the motor up too. I don't see how fuel is that great of a lubricant anyway.

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/23/14 03:40 PM

Quote:

I was running the BG 225 HR as it is supposed to be for street use, with a -10 return line to the tank. I have only 3 or so 1/8th mile passes on the car, maybe ten to twelve street miles. The BG pump seized after the 2nd full power pass. I replaced it with a Mallory 250, as it has the capability to raise fuel, and my pump is mounted higher than the tank.
So far so good, but not a lot of runs.
Mark

I can say I'm not a big Barry Grant fan, when I was getting Jim's Nova running the big $$$ fuel pressure regulator stopped working. Now with minimal use his pump is a paperweight.

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/30/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

I can say I'm not a big Barry Grant fan, when I was getting Jim's Nova running the big $$$ fuel pressure regulator stopped working. Now with minimal use his pump is a paperweight.

BG = Barely Going.....And they earned it. Seen many of their products just quit first hand....

Re: Fuel Pump Recomendation for +700hp - 05/31/14 04:00 PM

Quote:

I have a Magna Fuel 300 with filter for sale if interested.
I was keeping it for a spare but the MF 500 I replaced the 300 with doesnt seem to need a spare?
PM me if interested.
Thanks, Don

Don,

I sent you a PM back a couple days ago, if your not interested LMK, I am about to order a new one....
© 2024 Moparts Forums