Moparts

Air or electric??

Posted By: Jeepmon

Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 05:51 AM

When it comes to shifters and throttle stops.. which do you like better and why?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 05:55 AM

Quote:

When it comes to shifters and throttle stops.. which do you like better and why?

I dont throttle stop but I did buy a electric shift
for my car.. it wont ever run out of air and the elec
was much cheaper.. lets face it... its a solenoid that
hits the shifter
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 07:40 AM

Air, the reason you can control the opening and closing rates which you cannot on electric. UNLESS you get the new Dedenbear with a stepper motor but get your wallet out cause it's gonan hurt. I also prefer air for the shifter as well.
Posted By: Plymouth340

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 02:51 PM

Quote:

I bought a Dixie 3 speed electric shifter 20 years ago and it hasn't miss a beat!!!

Attached picture 8147185-13801519399791010147484.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 04:38 PM

NO AIR,NO AIR,NO AIR you just can not say it enough times.You are always gonna run out of air,none of them are worth a SH*T!With air there is more weight you have to find a place to mount the bottle and most times that place is hard to get too,then you have to run the lines(and they LEAK) after all of that they still draw amps off your battery which is why you brought them in the 1st place.
If you want the Best buy Dedenbear electric a little more $$$ but the best.If you are on a tight budget buy the Dixie electric,that is what most people use and they seem to work.Don't buy into that the electric does not have enough power,believe me they have all you need and more.

PS If it got air its gonna leak!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 05:03 PM

I would never ever ever go back to air.

JEGS solenoid mounted on a TurboAction PG shifter.

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 07:44 PM

Electric.

Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 08:04 PM

Quote:

Electric.

Who's Solenoid us that John? Thinking of switching our PPP shifter over to electric

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 09:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Electric.

Who's Solenoid us that John? Thinking of switching our PPP shifter over to electric

Not sure as it came with it. He uses a very powerful spring that is loaded when you pull it back in low. I guess the spring helps with faster shifts, longer solenoid life, and less drawl (amps)

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 09:43 PM

I honeslty could care less how you shift it..But when it comes to throttle stops there is one electric stop that will allow you to adjust opening and closing rates. It is made by Dedenbear stepper unit and is $1800..If you have any other electric stop you CANNOT adjust the opening rate, which if you are trying to run a .90 class will sooner or later bite you in the hiney, or you make no power in the first place.

As for air leaks, well mine will hold pressure with the bottle off in the lines for weeks. It aint rocket science to learn how to make it less prone to leaking or to turn a bottle on and off. If you use a large bottle it will last you a LONG LONG time. My little 10oz one would last 3/4 of a year running the stop and shifter.

Then again it is likely I don't know what I am talking about.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 09:45 PM

Ok thanks, I'll talk to Ben Holt I think they are a PPP dealer.
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 10:22 PM

We are definitely a dealer. And I have installed nothing but air over the last ten years. Properly installed they never leak. And it's no more maintenance than checking the tires, checking the valves, checking the fuel......look over at the bottle and make sure it has pressure. If not, put the spare bottle in (I almost always sell my stuff with a spare bottle) and get the empty filled after the race. On our SS-type stuff (150-200 runs a year) a 10 oz co2 bottle lasts at least all year. Even longer with a 2 speed....

But you wouldn't go up to the staging lanes without checking tires/fuel, etc, why wouldn't you look over at the bottle?

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 10:52 PM

So does NHRA still make you get the bottles re-certified every five years.

Or do you high-rollers just throw them away and buy new.

If the bottles last a year or longer, why would you worry about carring a spare if you have no leaks.

Real index racers don't need stops!
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 10:54 PM

electric here, have used both. filling the bottles is a hassle.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 11:37 PM

Quote:

So does NHRA still make you get the bottles re-certified every five years.

Or do you high-rollers just throw them away and buy new.

If the bottles last a year or longer, why would you worry about carring a spare if you have no leaks.

Real index racers don't need stops!

Posted By: 440Brian

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/17/14 11:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I bought a Dixie 3 speed electric shifter 20 years ago and it hasn't miss a beat!!!

X2

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/18/14 08:21 AM

Dont hate the players hate the game. The .90 classes have evolved into what they are. No going back now, it aint gonna happen. It is what it is

I don't understand the insistence on making ones opinion known on the guys preference on which class he wants to race. Who cares if the guy wants to try throttle stop racing. If you cannot ad anything constructive why not just move on or ad whatever experience you may have had or what your product preference is on an item.

What really frustrates me is why anytime a question that involves stop type racing comes up the conversation always seems to lead to the same inevitable place. That some people don't like stop racing and want everyone to know it. WE GET IT YOU DONT LIKE IT. My frustration comes from the instance of people to make sure they get their feelings known on the subject every time a post like this appears. Instead of adding constructive advice on what question the poster has. If they have chosen to compete at this level why cannot people just accept that and try and help?
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/18/14 01:38 PM

Well, no matter the shifter used , it requires an electrical activation to work,
Air has 2 issues , 1 electric, and air issues .
The electric has the same , but connected to same issues , electric current
Batteries get low , inconsistent it becomes,
All in what you trust, what one prefers

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/18/14 01:59 PM

Quote:

Well, no matter the shifter used , it requires an electrical activation to work,

an electric shifter uses very little power, it only shifts twice for a split second and has 0 effect on being consistent. if you are racing these days without an alternator
Posted By: intenseneon

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 01:35 AM

so why doesnt anyone make a electric shifter for a 3spd reverse turbo action shifter?. or am I missing it?.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

an electric shifter uses very little power, it only shifts twice for a split second and has 0 effect on being consistent. if you are racing these days without an alternator

Uhhhhh......not true. They put a HUGE spike in the voltage graph on a data logger when they hit. While this may or may not effect your car, they still do it. Plus they get REALLY hot. Anything electrical gets THAT hot, it is using some juice

We use air........well not really air, Nitrous. Since it is a nitrous car, was very easy to tap into that system to use the air shifter and only had to add a tiny solenoid and reg to car. Ours doesn't leak either

Monte
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 02:50 AM

How do you keep the air lines from leaking? I have a PPP shifter with an air shifter, I love it and it works great. I have to close the bottle after every round though because the lines leak. It has become part of the routine though.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 02:54 AM

there are variables but personally i would never use pneumatic unless circumstances dictate it. as mentioned for throttle stops you can't control the rate of application.

for just shifting a PG transmission i wouldn't even consider pneumatic. use a latching solenoid and if you're concerned about a spike that can be delt with by a diode. the latching solenoids normally only pull about 1 1/2 amps. the transbrake solenoid is just as capable of throwing spikes as well.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 04:43 AM

Quote:

so why doesnt anyone make a electric shifter for a 3spd reverse turbo action shifter?. or am I missing it?.

There was , a company out of Florida that mad a supper great air shifter fit the turbo action shifters
But has since went out of business.
I know of two that ate in cars here , I hear the solenoid still available??

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 10:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Uhhhhh......not true. They put a HUGE spike in the voltage graph on a data logger when they hit. While this may or may not effect your car, they still do it. Plus they get REALLY hot. Anything electrical gets THAT hot, it is using some juice

We use air........well not really air, Nitrous. Since it is a nitrous car, was very easy to tap into that system to use the air shifter and only had to add a tiny solenoid and reg to car. Ours doesn't leak either

Monte

do you guys run an alt?
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 01:35 PM

The question was what? Well if you have just a shifter use the electric and if you are using a throttle stop use air or use both.The tiny bottle goes for ever but if you are to lazy to fill a bottle then get compressor and then you can also air your tires in the lanes.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 03:42 PM

Quote:

Plus they get REALLY hot. Anything electrical gets THAT hot, it is using some juice

Monte

You are using the kind of solenoid I don't like. Mine runs cold. Not sucking power except when it shifts.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Plus they get REALLY hot. Anything electrical gets THAT hot, it is using some juice

Monte

You are using the kind of solenoid I don't like. Mine runs cold. Not sucking power except when it shifts.

same as mine
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 07:01 PM

Don, all of what Al said, X2.

One of the big culprits for leaks is the quick connect fittings. EVERY time I remove an air line from one of those I cut off about 1/2" before I re-install the line. That gives you a clean, undamaged surface for sealing.

My little CO2 bottle sits for weeks at a time without being turned off. I haven't turned it off since I left Vegas and the high side guage still reads 900 lbs.

I fill it from a 30 lb. bottle with a whip (hose) I bought years ago for about $50. I haven't re-filled the big bottle for 12 years.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 08:35 PM

I always run an air shift when possible. Save all the battery you can when not running a charging system. Most electric shifters draw lots of power.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 08:39 PM

Boy are you guys hating on electric living in the past.
Times have changed gentlemen, times have changed.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 08:46 PM

Quote:

Times have changed gentlemen, times have changed. [/quote.

Jeepmom asked about shifters and thottle stops.So which throttel stop are you using on electric and how is that working for you?

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 08:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Times have changed gentlemen, times have changed. [/quote.

Jeepmom asked about shifters and thottle stops.So which throttel stop are you using on electric and how is that working for you?

Electric and I will let you now later in the season at our divisional.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 09:00 PM

Ok, Good Luck
Posted By: Eric

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 10:29 PM

Air shifter and T/S here...

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 10:41 PM

Quote:

Dont hate the players hate the game. The .90 classes have evolved into what they are. No going back now, it aint gonna happen. It is what it is

I don't understand the insistence on making ones opinion known on the guys preference on which class he wants to race. Who cares if the guy wants to try throttle stop racing. If you cannot ad anything constructive why not just move on or ad whatever experience you may have had or what your product preference is on an item.

What really frustrates me is why anytime a question that involves stop type racing comes up the conversation always seems to lead to the same inevitable place. That some people don't like stop racing and want everyone to know it. WE GET IT YOU DONT LIKE IT. My frustration comes from the instance of people to make sure they get their feelings known on the subject every time a post like this appears. Instead of adding constructive advice on what question the poster has. If they have chosen to compete at this level why cannot people just accept that and try and help?

So now I'm branded a HATER, because I mentioned Throttle Stop. WOW!

I wish I had known that I hated Stop Racing before I started the http://sesupergas.com/ 23 years ago. I must have hated it last year, when I raced it and I guess I'll hate it again this year when I compete.

" The .90 classes have evolved into what they are. No going back now, it aint gonna happen. It is what it is"

So NHRA never changes

Years back a Div. 2 racer Ronnie Davis approached NHRA about adding a new class and having an exhibition of them at the Southernationals. Things worked out as the class has been made permanent fixture. Maybe you have heard of it, it is called TOP SPORTSMAN.

Again in Div 2, five or six years ago, the track owners added some more new classes to the divisional menu. They now have a 10.00 index and a 11.00 index, along with the 9.90 and 10.90. The big difference in the 1/10th slower index classes are: NO Delay box, No active throttle stop. Guess track owners have to hate too.

The only races I can go to that allow active t-stop's are SE S/GAS races or NHRA races. I can go to NO/BOX-NO Active stop race at least 2 or 3 times a month if I want. Time will tell which type wins out.

Two cars, leaving heads-up, going side by side down the track. Feels like the S/Gas class that I started running in back in 91.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/19/14 11:11 PM

Touchy aren't Was not signling you or anyone out in particular just a statement about the inevitable course these threads seem to take is all.

So tell me exactly what changed there about .90 racing? Adding a new class or classes did nothing to change ANY of the Super classes. I don't hate any class or how it is run. Diversity is what makes the world go round. There are plenty of options/classes for racers to choose and that is good. Just because super classes have evolved and left some in the dust is proof of that fact.

Sorry you choose to not like throttle stop racing to each their own and I am very happy you have a class to run in that you are comfortable with. Still don't see the need to throw stop racing under the bus because it has evolved from where it once was. Apparently you are not comfortable with what it has evolved into and chose to move on. Nothing wrong with that, but why bash those who choose to run it or just the idea of the class itself.

Have a pleasant day

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 07:00 AM

Quote:

Touchy aren't Was not signling you or anyone out in particular just a statement about the inevitable course these threads seem to take is all.

So tell me exactly what changed there about .90 racing? Adding a new class or classes did nothing to change ANY of the Super classes. I don't hate any class or how it is run. Diversity is what makes the world go round. There are plenty of options/classes for racers to choose and that is good. Just because super classes have evolved and left some in the dust is proof of that fact.

Sorry you choose to not like throttle stop racing to each their own and I am very happy you have a class to run in that you are comfortable with. Still don't see the need to throw stop racing under the bus because it has evolved from where it once was. Apparently you are not comfortable with what it has evolved into and chose to move on. Nothing wrong with that, but why bash those who choose to run it or just the idea of the class itself.

Have a pleasant day

Because THIS is Moparts and pissing, moaning and bickering about silly stuff is a way of life here..........LOL!!!

Monte

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 03:37 PM

OK I hear about the electric solenoid spiking on the electric shift noids.Now that sounds believeable,so is that the reason for using air??
If so then tell me the name of the air shifter you are using that does not have to be hook to anything electrical in the car..because if it hooks to anything electrical in the car its going to still spike the electrical system and take current from the battery.That is the reason I brought a air shifter the 1st thinking it would take no current from the battery,imagine my surprise when I found out it had to be hooked to a 12 volt positive source,that would draw current from the battery and the daymn thing always leaked air always.If you like getting to the track and no air in your bottle or making a run and it does not shift because it is out of air and cost's you a round win and like having to carry a spare bottle around then buy you a air system.If you like never having to carry a extra bottle and never having to worry about turning it on or off or being out of air then buy the electric. It's plain & simple AIR LEAKS!

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 04:35 PM

Quote:

Have a pleasant day

This is about air or electric not what class anyone runs,but Al rather you know it or not you are very Lucky.We run the Viper & Camaro in the 4.70 index class and we are not allowed to use a throttle stop.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 05:47 PM

FYI we have run Index stuff as well and won. It IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, despite what some might think.

@Monte AMEN!!!!
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 07:44 PM

Thanks everyone for contributing to my education.. It seems if you want to move up in the drag racing world, delay boxes, auto shifters and throttle stops will be required and so... I've started my learnin on these now..

I have a PPP shifter, so I will simply order their auto shifter kit.. however I do have one more question about the throttle stop..

How important is disc style throttle stop compared to the standard blade type? The disc type sounds like its more adjustable, but is also twice the price..

Thanks

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 08:31 PM

Quote:

OK I hear about the electric solenoid spiking on the electric shift noids.Now that sounds believeable,so is that the reason for using air??
If so then tell me the name of the air shifter you are using that does not have to be hook to anything electrical in the car..because if it hooks to anything electrical in the car its going to still spike the electrical system and take current from the battery.That is the reason I brought a air shifter the 1st thinking it would take no current from the battery,imagine my surprise when I found out it had to be hooked to a 12 volt positive source,that would draw current from the battery and the daymn thing always leaked air always.If you like getting to the track and no air in your bottle or making a run and it does not shift because it is out of air and cost's you a round win and like having to carry a spare bottle around then buy you a air system.If you like never having to carry a extra bottle and never having to worry about turning it on or off or being out of air then buy the electric. It's plain & simple AIR LEAKS!

It is about the AMPS the apparatus draws. While some may draw less, the solenoid WE had, drew a huge amount of amps at the shift and made a serious spike in the Racepak voltage trace. Being a nitrous car, I want NO spikes in the voltage trace that can upset timers, ign, etc. We went to a PPP shifter with their air option. The regulator/solenoid assy that operates the cylinder is tiny, draws few amps and puts NO spike in the logger voltage trace.........Not to mention it is ultra light as compared to the electric setup and looks cleaner. Also, ours is plumbed with #3 braided lines, instead of plastic and push lock. Our nitrous system doesn't leak, so neither does our shifter. Just because YOUR air system leaked, does NOT mean they all do.

Monte
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 10:27 PM

Don, I got a lot of negative feedback about the disc style when I was shopping. I went with the 1 Stop and a 1" machined spacer from Stinnett.

I think the stop slowed my car about .100 and maybe 1-2 mph in the quarter, compared to a 2" open spacer. I believe it's deadly consistent and VERY adjustable.

Re: Air or electric?? - 05/20/14 11:01 PM

Quote:

FYI we have run Index stuff as well and won. It IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, despite what some might think.

@Monte AMEN!!!!

I was saying you get to run a throttle stop on a much slower car and they do not allow us to run a throttle stop.I agree a throttle stop is not Rocket Science it would be much easier to run the index if they would allow us to use one.

Now back to the subject at hand AIR LEAKS,we run our NOS with NOS only because we can not to it electrical.

PS I am not saying the NOS leaks...those are Grudge Race Cars and have Purge Buttons! Grudge Racers + Purge Buttons = unknown answers
© 2024 Moparts Forums