Moparts

Collector tether, where did you buy?

Posted By: DemonDust

Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 02:37 AM

Where did you buy or build your header collector tethers from? I see the lokar setup for $150. There has to be a cheaper alternative. I've seen people say they've built them from $40-60

Any info is appreciated.
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 02:40 AM

http://www.collector-cable.com/

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 02:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 02:52 AM

you know you can weld it?

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 02:59 AM

Quote:

you know you can weld it?

Negative, I have a tube on each side that goes around the frame i'd never be able to get the headers off then.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 03:01 AM

Weld them on
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 03:02 AM

Negative, I have a tube on each side that goes around the frame i'd never be able to get the headers off then.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 03:09 AM

Quote:

Yeah I seen it after I posted
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 04:20 AM

Funny part of this post is I just put mine on the car today. First off what a rip these things are for the $$$ just to be SFI approved. Oh and my current collectors have 2 bolts on each side to secure the collector to the header already.

So while installing mine today I was wondering how much I should torque the bolts on the clamps to???? Hey it's a legit question if it's supposed to keep the collector on right.... I mean if they are on but maybe not tightened to a certain level maybe they could come loose right

Just ranting over wasted $$$$$ carry on

Russ
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

Jok is a great guy..

I know several racers who got theirs from Jok..

Including me..

Very quick response too..

Chris..
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 06:33 AM

I got mine from Jok also mostly because he was the first I found that wasn't charging STUPID money for "approved" teathers. Knowing what I know now, and seeing the design, you can buy the clamps at about any part store, or ebay. You can also get steel cable and swedges at Lowes or the aforementioned parts store. Personally I like the teathers because I'm not welding my headers. Between motor plate, tube K I can remove my headers in about 10 minutes without loosening the engine.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 02:57 PM

The way the rule was re-written you can just use a 3 dollar exhaust hanger and bolt them to the car if you don't want to waste 150 bucks...that covers the "must need tools to remove" part of the rule.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 05:52 PM

I spent the Big $$$ on mine and brought 4 1/4"X3/4" grade 8 bolts!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

Jok is a great guy..

I know several racers who got theirs from Jok..

Including me..

Very quick response too..

Chris..

thats where I got mine, and I would suggest them to anyone.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 06:29 PM

Quote:

Funny part of this post is I just put mine on the car today. First off what a rip these things are for the $$$ just to be SFI approved. Oh and my current collectors have 2 bolts on each side to secure the collector to the header already.

So while installing mine today I was wondering how much I should torque the bolts on the clamps to???? Hey it's a legit question if it's supposed to keep the collector on right.... I mean if they are on but maybe not tightened to a certain level maybe they could come loose right

Just ranting over wasted $$$$$ carry on

Russ

Considering you torque wrench has two settings - the first being "I forgot to tighten it" and the other "it's gorilla tight" my guess they are not comming off
Posted By: GTSDave

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 11:19 PM

Another vote from Jok here. He is a sponsor for the Victory NSS series, and really cut us a good deal on them.

"Jok Nicholson at Trailer Toad and Colletor-cable.com for this year. Jok has agreed to sell his approved tether set to any of the Victory NSS Racers for $49.00 plus shipping."

I called him up and got voice mail. He called me back within 1/2 hour and I placed my order. Showed up on my door step within 3 days.

His number is 319-404-7001. He will need to know your primary tube size and collector size, as well as the cable length you need. Tell him some of the Victory NSS guys sent you over and he will probably cut you a deal as well.

-Dave
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/12/14 11:23 PM

I still don't know where this rule came from. Initially, it seems just another money making scheme for NHRA contingency sponsors.

Like a lot of you, we've been racing without header "tethers" for hundreds of years. Now, for sixty bucks you can buy an approved pair of hose clamps and a length of garage door cable.

Gimme a break.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/13/14 03:27 AM

Are these going to be requiered at IHRA tracks also? Dumbest safety reg Ive seen, my bolys and nylc nuts have been holing mine for years, but back to the question, is IHRA following NHRA on this?
Posted By: moparpiff

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/13/14 09:12 AM

If you want a great deal on these contact Tim @ The car shop here in the quad cities. www.carshopinc.com is the website. I am ordering a set $60 and made to length specifically for my set-up. 1-309-797-4188. These are some of the nicest people to deal with.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/13/14 04:33 PM

Mine came from Jok as well.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/13/14 07:38 PM

They are not IHRA mandated at this time.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/13/14 08:11 PM

I have the http://collectortethers.com/ brand on my car. More expensive than most of the other offerings but are high quality and will pay contingency at certain events.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Collector tether, where did you buy? - 05/13/14 08:23 PM

Latest version of the rule: Dont need thethers if you make a permanant mount/strap to the vehicle.

SECTION 20: GENERAL REGULATIONS, ENGINE: 1, 1:3 EXHAUST (Page 3) (2/18/2014) All cars vehicles must be equipped with exhaust collectors, headers, or stacks installed to direct exhaust out of car vehicle body to rear of car, away from driver and fuel tank. No part of the exhaust system may be routed through the driver’s compartment. Exhaust collectors/stacks system components must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of collector/stacks system components during competition. Effective Jan. 1, 2014, All removable multi-piece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether, or a minimum ½” (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube or be permanently attached to the vehicle body or frame with positive fasteners (i.e. exhaust hangers, support brackets, bolts/nuts, etc.) such that they require tools for removal to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com.
© 2024 Moparts Forums