Moparts

MSD 7AL-2 boxes

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 07:24 PM

My father-In-Law has a a 7AL-2 part # 42626, which comes with a MSD Coil Pro Power. I looked on the Web site for info, but all I found was the 7AL-2 Plus, which is probably a updated version. This box was serviced By MSD years ago, but has been self ed since then.

So here is a few questions.
I assume this is the correct coil for this box? Can this box be run on the street? I don't think so, but maybe with a different compatible coil?

Are these boxes dependable, and reliable?

Thanks
Rapid
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 07:34 PM

Quote:

My father-In-Law has a a 7AL-2 part # 42626, which comes with a MSD Coil Pro Power. I looked on the Web site for info, but all I found was the 7AL-2 Plus, which is probably a updated version. This box was serviced By MSD years ago, but has been self ed since then.

I assume this is the correct coil for this box? Can this box be run on the street? I don't think so, but maybe with a different compatible coil?

Thanks
Rapid

Basicly I dont think you can run that box on the
street, it says that you need to run the pro power
coil and they say the pro power coil shouldnt be
run on the street or for extended periods of time.
Thats the same box I run in my racecar
Posted By: The Avg. Valiant

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 07:36 PM

good box though
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 08:00 PM

yes they are good boxes, I run them in the Dart. I run that coil on both my dragster and doorcar.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 08:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
Rapid

Gotta look at which coil I am running, but I have been running a 7AL-2 on the street since '96, and it was in the car when I got it. All I can say is, you need a good set of wires, or you will spit half your teeth out if you get hit with it....It is far better than the 6AL, and can tolerate a richer fuel mixture without fouling plugs.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
Rapid

Gotta look at which coil I am running, but I have been running a 7AL-2 on the street since '96, and it was in the car when I got it. All I can say is, you need a good set of wires, or you will spit half your teeth out if you get hit with it....It is far better than the 6AL, and can tolerate a richer fuel mixture without fouling plugs.

That's great news, I can get this thing for a song & a Dance...
If you would check to see what coil your running...I was thinking a Blaster II was compatible, and I just might get away with it on the street
I spent about 30 minutes on hold with MSD, and finally just hung up...
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 09:40 PM

i ran the mallery coil ending with 440 for a few yrs with my msd 7al-2 but not on the street.the mallery is for extended use run time.

Attached picture 4908866-Picture027.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 10:05 PM

The coil is an MSD blaster 2. Both have been in the car since I bought it, and I have had the unlucky misfortune of being lit up by both, and the 6AL feel like half the zap of a 7AL...Just my two cents for what its worth.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 10:06 PM

The 7AL-2 will be fine for street use, you just need a constant duty coil, which the Pro-Power is not. Use the Pro-Power HVC coil, part number 8251.

Monte
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 10:24 PM

Quote:

The 7AL-2 will be fine for street use, you just need a constant duty coil, which the Pro-Power is not. Use the Pro-Power HVC coil, part number 8251.

Monte

i was told by a tech at the track that the Pro-Power HVC coil, part number 8251 is the same just american made as the pro power.i did not check the winding ratio or other details.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 10:43 PM

The MSD website lists six different coils as compatable with the 7AL-2. Of the six, the 8252 is probably the best one for street duty but other might be just as good. The 8207 is another street/strip coil that is compatable with the 7AL-2.

The 7AL-2 can be purchased a lot cheaper from Mopar Performance than from MSD. I think the discount is about 40% when puchased as a MP part number which is huge.

I'm currently running the 7AL-2Plus with the 8261 on my dyno mules. The 8261 coil can probably be used as a welder in a pinch so you really do not want to grab a plug wire while you're standing in a puddle.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 10:48 PM

Quote:

The 7AL-2 can be purchased a lot cheaper from Mopar Performance than from MSD. I think the discount is about 40% when puchased as a MP part number which is huge.

Do you happen to have a part number? I can't seem to find it. It looks to me like Mopar perf. only has the 6AL version.

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 10:53 PM

I don't remember the MP number but just go to the Mancini website and look under ignitions. The MP version is $350 while the MSD part number is $560.

While we're on the subject, here is a coil bracket that I made for the HVC style coils. This bracket bolts to the end of the cylinder head. I also did a bracket for the Pro Power coil but I'll have to dig around for that picture.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/29/08 11:02 PM

That bracket is slick.

It's amazing to me that the same product can have two totally different prices.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/30/08 12:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

i was told by a tech at the track that the Pro-Power HVC coil, part number 8251 is the same just american made as the pro power.i did not check the winding ratio or other details.

I have no idea about that. All I know is what the catalog says. It says that the 8251 is compatible and is made for extended use. There are other compatible part #s as well, but the 8251 was about the cheapest. The HVC Andy mentioned is nearly 200 bucks.

Monte

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/30/08 03:22 AM

Here is the bracket for the 8201 coil. The 8201 coil is dinky compared to the HVC unit.

Attached picture 4909812-8201.jpg
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: MSD 7AL-2 boxes - 12/30/08 05:16 AM

Quote:

Monte

I agree because I have been using the marine version 7ML-2 on extended use with no issues but using the high vibration blaster coil. I was concerned about the extended use and contacted MSD before buying and they assured me it would be OK.
© 2024 Moparts Forums