Moparts

Aluminum block Main clearance

Posted By: jafr

Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/28/14 02:28 AM

What are you guys running for main bearing clearance with an Indy Max aluminum block?
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/28/14 01:31 PM

I've got mine at .0038..

Chris..
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/28/14 05:51 PM

mine is at .0037 also I run a complete milodon external oil system, my rods are at .003
Posted By: PLUM BAD

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/29/14 05:15 AM

Mine are .0035

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/29/14 09:42 PM

Thanks, guys. I was shooting for .0035 on the mains and the most I could get was .0028 with a speed-pro M-119 bearing. I can tell you from experience it didn't like the clearance that tight, 1 pass and I found metal in the filter. I pulled the motor before any major damage occurred and found the metal was coming from #4 main.
I am going to take the block and crank to the machine shop and have the mains and crank checked. I hate to turn the crank to get an extra .0007 clearance. We shall see what the machine shop has to say.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/29/14 10:14 PM

Mine are also .0035"...KB block.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/30/14 01:53 AM

Have the shop check the main bore diameter, it is way easier to open it up .0005 to .00010 than it is to grind that amount off of a crank
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/30/14 05:30 AM

It is an aluminum block. It does expand, no? I would think you would want a little under .003 cold if anything. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/30/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

It is an aluminum block. It does expand, no? I would think you would want a little under .003 cold if anything. Just my 2 cents.

But it expands in all directions... not just inward

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/30/14 02:45 PM

Another reason I was asking about the clearance was if you need to set the valve lash tighter because it opens up, will the main clearance open also?
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/30/14 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But it expands in all directions... not just inward

But the caps are not aluminum. So what is the effect of the expansion then. Is it only the upper bearing shell effected?
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Aluminum block Main clearance - 04/30/14 09:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks, guys. I was shooting for .0035 on the mains and the most I could get was .0028 with a speed-pro M-119 bearing. I can tell you from experience it didn't like the clearance that tight, 1 pass and I found metal in the filter. I pulled the motor before any major damage occurred and found the metal was coming from #4 main.
I am going to take the block and crank to the machine shop and have the mains and crank checked. I hate to turn the crank to get an extra .0007 clearance. We shall see what the machine shop has to say.

You didn't say what your main bore size is. If they left it on the small side of spec (and I bet they did) honing it to the large size of spec will help get you where you want to be.
© 2024 Moparts Forums