Moparts

1050 Dominator questions........

Posted By: D-50

1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 08:47 PM

I upgraded my fuel system a couple weeks ago. I left the 950 carb on it and went to T&T week before last. It ran well,I drove it to track and back home. I made 4 passes it did not hook on the firs 2 at all. They finally sprayed the track and the next 2 passes it dead hooked and ran 2 6.30's, so the fuel system seems okay. I put my 1050 dom. on it Thurs. and it will not run unless you constantly pump the gas. I took the front metering block and bowl off and blowed with compressed air through all the holes in the block.I did not find any trash in it nowhere.I put it back together and it still will not run. The fuel is at the bottom of the sight plug. Can anybody tell me what I can do next? Thanks for any help.

Attached picture 8125077-CIMG0081.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 08:56 PM

How are the mixture screws adjusted .. that is the idle
part of it... make sure the blades arent open to far

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 09:00 PM

They were out 2 turns and I tried them at 1 1/2. Still no difference.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 09:04 PM

What size are the idle air bleeds?

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 09:05 PM

Quote:

They were out 2 turns and I tried them at 1 1/2. Still no difference.

Make sure the blades arent opened to far... if they
are you wont be on the idle circuit and the mixture
screws wont react

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 09:12 PM

Quote:

I have no idea.I do not know how to check.

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have no idea.I do not know how to check.

Pull the carb off.. flip it over and look at the transfer
slot.. it should look like a square hole when set
right..thats the narrow slot thats vertical in the
center of the bores on the opening side of the blades

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 09:20 PM

Mr. P are you talking about the front throttle blades? I went outside and turned the idle screw down some and it did not change. It will not even stay running after it starts if you hold the throttle part of the way down.

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 09:24 PM

Quote:

Mr. P are you talking about the front throttle blades? I went outside and turned the idle screw down some and it did not change. It will not even stay running after it starts if you hold the throttle part of the way down.

Make sure the rear blades arent open to far either..
a 1050 is basically 2 2 bbl carbs... you have mixture
screws on front and back.. if the rear blades are
open too much that side wont work right and be a major
vac leak
Posted By: slippery440

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/26/14 10:49 PM

Make sure you use Dominator fuel bowl and metering block gaskets. There are extra holes.

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 12:48 AM

I took the carb off and looked and there was no transfer slot showing at all on the back. Do I set the slots square on the back then put it back on and see if that helps?

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 01:00 AM

Quote:

I took the carb off and looked and there was no transfer slot showing at all on the back. Do I set the slots square on the back then put it back on and see if that helps?

Set them squared up and put it back on.. try the mixture
screws at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out then adjust from there

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 02:14 AM

I set the transfer slots square and set the idle mixture at 1 1/4 out. It cranks right up but will not run under about 3500 rpm unless you pump the gas.
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 02:19 AM

You have an idle circuit issue. I am assuming this is a 3 circuit carb. If you used a set if 2 circuit gaskets it will block off the idle feeds, etc. make sure that the gasket has 4 holes at the top on each side. One big and three little.

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 03:27 AM

Quote:

You have an idle circuit issue. I am assuming this is a 3 circuit carb. If you used a set if 2 circuit gaskets it will block off the idle feeds, etc. make sure that the gasket has 4 holes at the top on each side. One big and three little.

It says 6980 3 on the metering blocks.

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 03:41 AM

Quote:

I never thought about the wrong gaskets being on it

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 03:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I will check that.

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gee I thought that I said that about 5 post before AJs

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gee I thought that I said that about 5 post before AJs

Well thats good for you... I just didnt see it...
so if they are wrong then that makes you the hero
of the day

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/27/14 07:32 PM

No hero just been there done that!!
Posted By: bonefish

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 04/29/14 02:54 PM

are you getting up to temp.i know my dom,s a real cold natured.but once up to temp they run and idle good.

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 05/03/14 03:59 AM

Does anybody got any more ideas? I took the carb apart and blowed through all the passages in the metering blocks and main body and put it back on and it still will not run unless you keep patting on the gas.It will run for 4 or 5 seconds and die unless you pat the gas. It will crank back up and do the same thing.I also kept doing it until it got up to 160 degrees to make sure that was not the problem.
It is a ProSystem 1050. Looks like I will have to put the 950 back on to race tomorrow. I was wanting to see how much ET it would pick up with the Dominator on it.

Attached picture 8132306-CIMG0081.JPG

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 05/03/14 04:15 AM

Quote:

Does anybody got any more ideas? I took the carb apart and blowed through all the passages in the metering blocks and main body and put it back on and it still will not run unless you keep patting on the gas.It will run for 4 or 5 seconds and die unless you pat the gas. It will crank back up and do the same thing.I also kept doing it until it got up to 160 degrees to make sure that was not the problem.
It is a ProSystem 1050. Looks like I will have to put the 950 back on to race tomorrow. I was wanting to see how much ET it would pick up with the Dominator on it.

Are you sure the gasket isnt blocking the idle hole
at the bottom... sure sounds like it is
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 05/03/14 03:42 PM

Not that this is the case but I have seen some gaskets with really poor hole placement that blocks of large portions of the feed holes in the metering blocks.
Best way to tell if you have a 2 or 3 circuit carb is the 3 circuit will have 3 air bleeds above each venturi and the 2 circuit will have 2.

For reference here's what a 3 circuit gasket should look like

Attached picture 8132569-4023K1mod.JPG

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 05/04/14 03:16 AM

Are these the correct gaskets?

Attached picture 8133220-carbgaskets001(Small).jpg

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 05/04/14 03:18 AM

Another pic.

Attached picture 8133221-carbgaskets002(Small).jpg
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: 1050 Dominator questions........ - 05/04/14 03:43 PM

Yes they have the correct holes

Place the metering block gasket on the metering block and see if they line up correctly then do the same with the gasket on the main body.
This way you'll be sure the hole placement is correct.

Also check the main body and metering block for flatness with a straight edge to eliminate dealing with a warped component issue. This can cause the circuits to cross feed and really throw the tune/adjust-ability off.

Make sure your power valve and power valve plugs are tight and the gasket is in good shape.

For checking the small passages in the carb I've found taking a piece of stranded automotive wire about 3-4" long, slit the insulation lengthwise and use a strand of wire to probe into all the passages has really helped me locate and free a plugged circuit on small motorcycle carbs

Your going to have to look at every circuit front to back, top to bottom for the issue.

Here is an example of a gasket with bad hole placement

Attached picture 8133594-image004color.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums