Moparts

Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a

Posted By: Sammy

Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 01:50 AM

" O " ringed mopar mega block? Having a serious problem with my SCE copper head gaskets leaking coolant. Tried everything to seal them up with no results.
So I want to try and use a Cometics head gasket. Never used them before. Will a Cometics head gasket work with an O ringed block?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 02:14 AM

I don't think so. The center gasket is stainless, it probably won't conform to the -ring. I'd give them a call.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 02:15 AM

Sounds like you need a reciever groove to help seal the motor Regardless of which type of gasket
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 02:31 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you need a reciever groove to help seal the motor Regardless of which type of gasket

Cab, it has always worked at 13.5 compression but I just redid the motor and it now has 15.3 compression. 5 passes and its leaking, tore it down, copper coated the gaskets till tacky and retorued it down. It is still leaking badly, even worse.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 02:45 AM

Tap a stainless wire in to the groove and file it
flush
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 05:52 AM

Just put moroso stop leak in it. Every set of cosmetics I've used has needed it too.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 12:48 PM

Use UltraCopper silicone around all water and oil holes,let cure 100% and retorque the head bolts.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 01:48 PM

That sounds reasonable Bob. I would caution to not make it too thick as you might run the risk of it splitting when put under torque load, just a thought.
Should be no reason not to be able to get the water sealed up.

Aren't the SCE's silicone beaded to start with?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 08:12 PM

Quote:

That sounds reasonable Bob. I would caution to not make it too thick as you might run the risk of it splitting when put under torque load, just a thought.
Should be no reason not to be able to get the water sealed up.

Aren't the SCE's silicone beaded to start with?

They can be if you order the correct part number The ICS Titan series have the teflon beads on them, the Titan don't, I think
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 08:34 PM

We have been using UltraCopper on copper head gaskets for years with zero coolant leaks.O-ring and reciever grooves with copper gaskets is a foolproof way of sealing compression,but unless you get 100% annealing of the o-ring in the gasket and 100% gasket enbeddment into the reciever grooves the flat surfaces tend to not seal.Apply a coating of UltraCopper silicone around all coolant and oil passages on both the block and head side,being carefull not to put it to close to the oil passages so it doesn't migrate into the passages causing restriction.It is important to snug down the head bolts and allow the silicone to cure for at least 24 hours,then final torque the bolts.It works better than any of the coated copper gaskets.Sometimes the copper gaskets are too hard and must be heated to get proper annealing and some gaskets are stamped from a sheet of copper and the thickness varies.Soft evenly rolled gaskets are the best and ones that are lasered or CNC cut are more uniform in thickness.
If your block and,or heads are o-ringed or have reciever grooves and you want to use Cometics then fill the grooves with a filler like Alvins' LabMetal or similar.
Posted By: dirty magnum

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 11:28 PM

Sammy use hylamar to seal your head gaskets, will never leak again 2 even coats sprayed on.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/16/14 11:32 PM

Hylomar is the stuff, just don't get it on your fingers.

R.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/17/14 02:11 AM

Quote:

Hylomar is the stuff, just don't get it on your fingers.

R.

My blown SB had an O-ringed factory 340 block. I decided not to use the O-rings and filled the grooves with JB weld. Scrapped it flush with a razor blade after it dried. Ran it that way for years at 12PSI with no gasket failure.
Doug
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/17/14 03:16 AM

Are you using new gaskets? If the O-ring stands out more than .012 you will also have trouble. A .010 deep .041 wide receiver will allow the gasket to pinch tighter. Some o-ring jobs are horrible. The fit of the ends is important. Cosmetics will work with job weld or copper o-rings filed flat. As always if the surfaces are not flat nothing will work
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Can you use a Cometic head gasket on a - 04/17/14 03:22 AM

Could you deck the block to erase the grooves, then adjust with custom gasket??
© 2024 Moparts Forums