Moparts

Viper oil pressure too high

Posted By: rickseeman

Viper oil pressure too high - 04/14/14 01:17 PM

Is there a way to adjust the oil pressure like on a big block? It has 85-90 psi idling cold. I think they call this one a 4th generation Viper engine. Thanks.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/14/14 01:27 PM

There has to be a bypass spring, but I bet the pump is inside the oil pan. How much pressure does it show? Does the pressure consistently level off at a certain point? If it keeps building pressure and goes way over the factory settings, or worse yet, fluctuates, you have to take a look inside.
If it is stock parts, then you better get that pump out of it and go new. Check for any metal debris while there, and cut open the oil filter to see what gives. Bypasses don't stick on a whim, something is up.

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/14/14 03:48 PM

The pump is behind the harmonic balancer but I'm hoping there is an external adjustment.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/14/14 08:52 PM

Be sure it's not a faulty sender.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/14/14 11:42 PM

What weight oil is in the engine?

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/15/14 04:58 AM

It's a light synthetic. Mobil 1 0-20 or 10-30.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/15/14 05:26 AM

Quote:

Be sure it's not a faulty sender.

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/15/14 04:23 PM

I think the gauge is right. It blew out the o-ring on the oil filter.
Posted By: mike s

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/15/14 06:35 PM

Bypass should be in the front cover (lower left side).Sounds like piston is sticking.IIRC there is a large hex plug you need to remove to access the piston and spring.

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/16/14 04:24 AM

Thanks, I will go look.

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/17/14 03:59 AM

Found it. Finally got it out. But it doesn't look user serviceable. It appears to be all made together. I can push the spring in (hard). Is one available with less pressure?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/17/14 04:14 AM

Quote:

Found it. Finally got it out. But it doesn't look user serviceable. It appears to be all made together. I can push the spring in (hard). Is one available with less pressure?

You could contact Arrow Engine in Auburn Hills, Mi..
they do all the major style engine repairs on Viper
engines for the dealers
http://www.arrowracingengines.com/aboutus.html
Posted By: mike s

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/17/14 08:08 AM

Spring is not the problem.Replace the piston and spring.Deburr edges w/1000 grit paper.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Viper oil pressure too high - 04/18/14 02:07 AM

Got 65k on my 2004 SRT 10. It idled at 90lbs up to 60k or so. Still idles at 100 when cold. 5w-30w Mobil one. All I ever used. When hot it now idles at 60lbs. Did have to go to braided stainless lines to the cooler. The mopar lines didnt last 25k. Go to VTCOA and check out their forums. All the engines run high oil pressure.
© 2024 Moparts Forums