Moparts

Caltract spring problem

Posted By: josh426

Caltract spring problem - 04/08/14 08:26 PM

1964 Plymouth with rear wheels hanging free, looks like left rear is hanging lower than the right rear. Has anybody else had this experience?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/08/14 09:05 PM

i dont know about hanging,but my 69 B-body with CT monosprings the driverside is a little higher.i finally gave up trying to figer it out and just got used to it.it rides and launches great.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/08/14 10:26 PM

Quote:

1964 Plymouth with rear wheels hanging free, looks like left rear is hanging lower than the right rear. Has anybody else had this experience?

They always will,the right is a higher spring rate for rotational loading.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/08/14 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They always will,the right is a higher spring rate for rotational loading.

He said Caltracs and there`s no left and right that I know of...........
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 12:06 AM

There are no left or right spring, can be installed on either side.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 12:07 AM

No left and right with split mono's, as far as I know. any stagger in spring rate is supposed to be achieved via the bars. Call Calvert, they'll get it figured out!
Posted By: taxidermy man

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 12:38 AM

Sitting on all fours, my b-body sits higher on the drivers side with calvert monos, maybe 3/4"
Posted By: 64hemi330sedan

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 12:45 AM

I would switch them side to side and see if its the spring or your car. mine are even on my car. I have seen cars that were not tied together very well push the spring box up after a bunch of years racing them.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 01:13 AM

Quote:

Sitting on all fours, my b-body sits higher on the drivers side with calvert monos, maybe 3/4"

If u had multi-leafs then yes it can sit goofy because of the differend spring rates.............
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 01:40 AM

Guys if this is a new install then the car has the preload in it because it was set up with a conventional spring. So the car was leveled with the torsion bars. So first time you let it down a lot of times it looks like a train reck. I would set it up on scales because you can make torsion bar adjustments and do your preload adjustments you can make the car level and have preload set.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 01:46 AM

Jake your correct , but in this case they are just Free hanging.

Further, Josh426 states that it Looks like the left side is hanging lower, doesnt say how much. Might not be a issue at all.

How much lower Josh? 1/4",1/2" probably fine. 1",3" probably a problem.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 02:14 AM

See if its hanging on the shocks... they can be off
(the lower mounts)

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 02:27 AM

rear is hanging free left is lower called caltrac said it could be rear part of spring no shocks
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 01:52 PM

Is this with the bars on or the bars off? Did you measure the rear segments? I would worry more about how it sits when you put the car on the ground.
But the bars will change ride height when you tighten or loosen.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 02:49 PM

had the same problem when I installed mine. you cant just crank the u bolts down with a finish torque on them. they need to be torqued slowly and evenly. I torqued mine in a crosshatch pattern 20ftlb at a time and each side til I got to the finish torque which I think was 80#. at that point when I set the car down it was level.

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 04:40 PM

car is on a lift no shocks no bars i wonder if right rear spring is weak from use takeing out springs to see
Posted By: taxidermy man

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 06:41 PM

Quote:

had the same problem when I installed mine. you cant just crank the u bolts down with a finish torque on them. they need to be torqued slowly and evenly. I torqued mine in a crosshatch pattern 20ftlb at a time and each side til I got to the finish torque which I think was 80#. at that point when I set the car down it was level.

I thought I did that on mine, maybe I'll re-check that.

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 11:35 PM

the left side is 3/4 lower
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 11:39 PM

Quote:

What does it look like sitting on the ground?

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/09/14 11:50 PM

more weight on right side not a good way to look at it some one should try to jack up rear put stands under body let rear hang no shocks or bar preload
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/10/14 12:50 AM

did you torque them slowly and evenly?

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/10/14 04:08 AM

torque them evenly to 65# 1/2 ubolt as caltrac said

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/10/14 04:35 AM

Quote:

car is on a lift no shocks no bars i wonder if right rear spring is weak from use takeing out springs to see

Am I reading this right that they were used springs

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/10/14 04:42 AM

brand new when I put them in 3 years on springs

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/10/14 04:57 AM

Quote:

Well I would say that during launches you yielded
the right spring flatter and now it doesnt drop as far
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Caltract spring problem - 04/10/14 05:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well I would say that during launches you yielded
the right spring flatter and now it doesnt drop as far

After 3 years probably yielded that right spring. And since its only 3/4", Id say run it and dont worry about it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums