Moparts

Accusump q's

Posted By: Tig

Accusump q's - 03/22/14 09:42 PM

Anybody running an accusump? do you use the oneway valve? Thanks.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Accusump q's - 03/22/14 10:05 PM

installed one on a friends car think it was a canton iirc. had the electric valve that acts as a check until the valve is either automatically or manually powered on. what is your question?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Accusump q's - 03/22/14 10:08 PM

We use an electric selenoid valve so we can control it from in the car.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Accusump q's - 03/22/14 10:10 PM

i only use a shutoff valve for the end of racing so i can prelube before the next meetings restart. with the car on a transbrake it's full before i leave the line & my oil pressure only drops below the 40 psi preset when i nearly stop at the entrance to the return road back to the pit.

Attached picture 8084371-30-09-10_23131.jpg
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Accusump q's - 03/22/14 10:27 PM

Quote:

I would use a check valve in the T if it was me. IMO that is peace of mind that when and if the time comes that it is needed the oil has no choice but to head toward the bearings. I think i'm going to mount mine under the dash and just use a manual valve that I KNOW wont fail.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 01:40 AM

Quote:

We use an electric selenoid valve so we can control it from in the car.

This ^. Works great on my Altered. Kinda like a poor man's dry sump......
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would use a check valve in the T if it was me. IMO that is peace of mind that when and if the time comes that it is needed the oil has no choice but to head toward the bearings. I think i'm going to mount mine under the dash and just use a manual valve that I KNOW wont fail.

I don't think NHRA tech. will alow that Same thing on fuel lines in the cockpit

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 03:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You may be right Cab, my thinking is a mechanical oil pressure in the cockpit is allowed so why not an accusump? I know Road Course cars have them in the cockpit.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You may be right Cab, my thinking is a mechanical oil pressure in the cockpit is allowed so why not an accusump? I know Road Course cars have them in the cockpit.

how about rigging up a remote rod/cable to the manual valve under the hood and have the activator end attached/through the dash ? should be pretty simple to do.

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 02:14 PM

Quote:

how about rigging up a remote rod/cable to the manual valve under the hood and have the activator end attached/through the dash ? should be pretty simple to do.

Canton sell a kit to do the exact same thing, which I have No oil/fuel in drivers cabin
Posted By: PLUM BAD

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 05:29 PM

I used the cable kit from Canton. They said it has a faster discharge and fill rate than the electric valve. I can't see how a one-way valve could work. Oil needs to flow both ways.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 05:55 PM

When I use to run one I had the electric valve... anytime
the master switch I had in the cockpit was on it worked...
the switch turned on my power to the switch panel..
once it was on it opened the valve... it would dump
first thing on every start up then it would fill when
driving up to the lanes
EDIT
I later put it on its own switch to dump it when I
wanted but the switch was on for every pass
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 06:21 PM

Quote:

I used the cable kit from Canton. They said it has a faster discharge and fill rate than the electric valve. I can't see how a one-way valve could work. Oil needs to flow both ways.

I am manual right now,but I like the cable deal

Attached picture 8085325-3.29.13012.jpg
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 07:26 PM

Just use one of these.. super cheap, hook it up to a toggle switch and call it done..

DFD 1/2" NPT 170psi Brass Normally Closed Solenoid Valve NBR Gas Air Water Oil

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFD-1-2-NPT-170p...=item35c17a46ec

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 09:05 PM

Quote:

When the oil is needed what is to say the majority wont go back to the pump instead of the engine? That is the reason for the check valve.
http://gt4motorsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/accusump_plumbing.png

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 09:27 PM

Quote:

When the oil is needed what is to say the majority wont go back to the pump instead of the engine? That is the reason for the check valve.

That's what I figured but I hear that the majority of oil goes back to the motor due to the pump clearance being more of a restriction. I know guys that don't run the check valve because it restricts flow?
I'm diggin the set up Plumbad

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 09:46 PM

Accusumps should always be plumbed after the pump and filter.When the valve is open the engine gets primed,leaving the valve open circulates the oil through the accusump and it becomes another sump or volume of oil to draw from.If you loose oil pressure the air charge will push that extra volume into the engine.The engine oil pressure surpasses the air charge side of the piston(usually only 6 lbs.THe valve is not a one way valve,it's an open or close valve.If you shut the engine and valve off with 90 lbs of engine oil pressure it will hold that pressure until the valve opens, the 90 lbs will enter the oil system and the air charge on the back side will empty the cannister.as soon as you fire the engine that oil will return to the cannister and be part of your entire oil volume availble.

Re: Accusump q's - 03/23/14 09:51 PM

Quote:

Accusumps should always be plumbed after the pump and filter.When the valve is open the engine gets primed,leaving the valve open circulates the oil through the accusump and it becomes another sump or volume of oil to draw from.If you loose oil pressure the air charge will push that extra volume into the engine.The engine oil pressure surpasses the air charge side of the piston(usually only 6 lbs.THe valve is not a one way valve,it's an open or close valve.If you shut the engine and valve off with 90 lbs of engine oil pressure it will hold that pressure until the valve opens, the 90 lbs will enter the oil system and the air charge on the back side will empty the cannister.as soon as you fire the engine that oil will return to the cannister and be part of your entire oil volume availble.

Thats how I used mine... I use a remote filter so
it was easy to plumb in.... I took the accusump off
with my dry sump system and sold the unit
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 12:28 AM

I just hooked mine up this weekend. I have 80 pounds of pressure on the gauge when I turn on the switch the oil gauge goes to around 15 pounds. it will hold it there for a while but why wouldn't it jump to 80. never had one

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 12:43 AM

Quote:

I just hooked mine up this weekend. I have 80 pounds of pressure on the gauge when I turn on the switch the oil gauge goes to around 15 pounds. it will hold it there for a while but why wouldn't it jump to 80. never had one

It should build right back up to your engine oil
pressure... thats assuming that the gauge on both
are reading the same... how much air pressure is in
the tank

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 01:10 AM

Quote:

I agree with but the valve in question is not the on/off valve but the check valve or diode valve. HTH's

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with but the valve in question is not the on/off valve but the check valve or diode valve. HTH's

I dont know what the heck your talking about.. I had
a open or closed valve... it was electric on mine
but it was either open or closed

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 02:14 AM

I have 10 pounds on the tank when empty. it goes to 80 when I start the car. reads the same as the gauge in the car but when I go to restart and actuate the electric valve the oil gauge in the car goes to about 15 pounds. why wouldn't it jump to the same pressure in the tank which is 80. it goes to 15 and stays there for a while and the pressure in the tank slowly drops down.
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 02:51 AM

Quote:

My oil psi gauge will only go to 25-30 psi with 95 on the accumulator. This is normal the air is pushing a piston your oil is cold and doesn't want to move so the piston can only move so fast sometimes mine will take 10-20 seconds for the electric valve to open when the oil is warm it opens right away pressure, is a little higher but will never reach system pressure. Unless you were running 0-5 weight oil.
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 03:02 AM

Quote:

Did you put check your air pressure should be 5-10 psi with the piston all the way to the extend position easiest way to do this it open your valve put the air charge up to 80-90 psi it will start moving the piston and the pressure will start dropping keep putting in more until the pressure stabilizes. Then you will know the piston is at the end of the bore. Now dump the air psi down to 5-10 psi. Start the car fill it up and see if your pressure will go up will using the accumulator.

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 03:03 AM

thks thought I had something setup wrong

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 09:48 AM

Quote:

I dont know what the heck your talking about.. I had a open or closed valve... it was electric on mine but it was either open or closed

Check the diagram in the link posted earlier. The check/one-way/diode valve is placed just upstream of the "T" fitting.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 10:11 AM

Mine is attached to the port on the Indy pump cover..

I have the cable that goes in the car.. Mounted right where the hood release went..

Cable Kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-24-506/

Mounts:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-24-200/

Chris..

Attached picture 8086405-Acccusump.jpg

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I dont know what the heck your talking about.. I had a open or closed valve... it was electric on mine but it was either open or closed

Check the diagram in the link posted earlier. The check/one-way/diode valve is placed just upstream of the "T" fitting.

I dont run the cooler or that check

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The one way valve keeps the oil flowing to the engine as not to have the oil go back to the cooler where it is serves no purpose.Most applications don't run an oil cooler for dragracing,you do see them on stockcars(circle)where oil has to be circulated for long periods of time an needs cooled.

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The one way valve keeps the oil flowing to the engine as not to have the oil go back to the cooler where it is serves no purpose.Most applications don't run an oil cooler for dragracing,you do see them on stockcars(circle)where oil has to be circulated for long periods of time an needs cooled.

Yeah I understand the reasoning but I didnt use it,
when I dumped the tank I would build about 10-15psi
on the engine oil gauge
Posted By: actionange

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 04:51 PM

Is there any "significant" horsepower gain using an accusump?
I've heard that somewhere has gained 40 hp.

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 04:58 PM

Quote:

Nope... it does 2 things.. might save your engine wear
if you drop oil pressure on the top end of the track
on decell and it pre oils the engine prior to start
up... I have never heard of a HP gain and it sure
didnt on mine

Re: Accusump q's - 03/24/14 09:56 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Accusump q's - 03/25/14 02:26 AM

Quote:

These are "accusumps" - maybe you're thinking of a "dry sump" ?? Completely different animal.

Re: Accusump q's - 03/25/14 03:11 AM

No I know what I read.
Maybe the author of the statement couldn't distinguish between the accusump and the dry sump...
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: Accusump q's - 03/25/14 05:10 AM

I cant expand the size of my oil pan due to header clearances...

Could I use an accusump as a simple reserve tank, plumbed 'in line' with my oil filter , without using the valve for cold starts etc???

IOW just leave the valve open at all times as an additional reservoir?

Re: Accusump q's - 03/25/14 05:28 AM

Quote:

Could I use an accusump as a simple reserve tank, plumbed 'in line' with my oil filter , without using the valve for cold starts etc???

Thats what all of us used them for.. BB tend to have
a issue of low oil levels in the pan at the end of the
track so when they hit the brakes the little amount
of oil in the pan sloshes forward uncovering the pick
up and thats when the accusump starts dumping.. so
its basically a larger pan... but just not down there

Re: Accusump q's - 03/25/14 06:35 AM

Thx Mr P

So are they fitted up with an 'in' line and an 'out'l line like a oil filter cannister...or do they operate some other way?

Re: Accusump q's - 03/25/14 06:41 AM

Quote:

Thx Mr P

So are they fitted up with an 'in' line and an 'out'l line like a oil filter cannister...or do they operate some other way?

There is only 1 line on the tank... as your oil
pressure goes up it fills the tank... if your oil
pressure drops below the tank pressure it starts
dumping in oil via the same line

Re: Accusump q's - 03/25/14 04:02 PM

Quote:

The only issue is you will have all that extra oil in the pan may find areas to leak from.If your going to install the unit take advantage of the benifit of priming an engine that sits for a period of time.

Re: Accusump q's - 03/26/14 12:12 AM

Quote:

We've lowered the car so had to modify the sump for ground clearance, which equals less capacity.
The accusump is giving us back the lost capacity plus the added bonus of all the other advantages mentioned. Only down side is finding room for fitting all the stuff somewhere
And thanks for all the answers

Re: Accusump q's - 03/26/14 09:40 AM

Thx to the OP for letting me piggy back on this thread

Re: Accusump q's - 03/26/14 11:06 PM

Re: Accusump q's - 03/30/14 08:26 PM

just a quick update. Checked it all out, works great. Primed with the drill and got 60 psi on the dash gauge and accusump gauge. 60 psi is normal for new oil. Closed the valve and waited 1/2 hour opened the valve and got 50 psi on the gauge in the car. Cool.
This is without the one-way, diode, check valve thing btw
Posted By: jcc

Re: Accusump q's - 03/31/14 03:54 AM

Quote:

Yes and Yes, my thinking on one way was I saw little reason to divert pressure/flow back thru oil filter and/or back flush all the crap every time accumulator operated. One way valve is larger grey cyl to right of tee connection.

See pic #57, and I'm not NHRA, so inside car is not an issue.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Re: Accusump q's - 04/01/14 12:57 AM

A oneway check valve isn't necessarry if you plumb it after the filter,most common filters have a checkvalve in the filter so they don't drain back when the pump is not operating.
Posted By: Lance6611

Re: Accusump q's - 04/01/14 01:08 AM

What is wrong with plumbing the accumulator into the ports at the back of the block, usually where the pressure guage goes. I would like to plumb it into the larger of the two ports. What do you think?

Re: Accusump q's - 04/01/14 01:17 AM

Quote:

What is wrong with plumbing the accumulator into the ports at the back of the block, usually where the pressure guage goes. I would like to plumb it into the larger of the two ports. What do you think?

You want a large port going into the block.. normally
if you use a remote filter you plumb it in on the
outlet side so it has plenty of volume
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Accusump q's - 04/01/14 04:15 AM

i was looking into this a couple of years ago, i went with this.....

made by masterlube...
http://masterlube.net/classic.htm

according to them there teflon line moves a lot of oil.

Attached picture 8096410-lubemaster.jpg
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Accusump q's - 04/04/14 01:25 PM

Quote:

What is wrong with plumbing the accumulator into the ports at the back of the block, usually where the pressure gauge goes. I would like to plumb it into the larger of the two ports. What do you think?

Many people have done that, including E-berg on his Bold Beeper (at one time anyway). But I guess if you are running a remote filter anyway it is an easier way to do it as well as utilising a larger pipeline....

Re: Accusump q's - 04/04/14 06:21 PM

Quote:

i was looking into this a couple of years ago, i went with this.....

made by masterlube...
http://masterlube.net/classic.htm

according to them there teflon line moves a lot of oil.

how much are those? Is yours the 3 qt short model? Barton uses thes accumulators.
Posted By: bwhackd34

Re: Accusump q's - 04/04/14 06:29 PM

I plumbed mine into the line FROM the filter to the block...AFTER the filter...In THIS case a one way valve is necessary to prevent the accumulator from backwashing the filter. I believe it is recommended by Canton to install this way..AFTER the filter. I used their one way valve..I think some in this thread are confusing an in-line valve with the actuating valve. For my actuating valve I found a SS 12v valve compatible with oils and used that...much cheaper than buying one from Canton or Moroso..I think I paid under $25...
Posted By: bwhackd34

Re: Accusump q's - 04/04/14 06:33 PM

here is a pic...the one way valve is the bronze piece where the line from the accumulator T's into the feed line to block on passenger side inner fender. The electric valve is the piece with the black solenoid closer to the front on the same inner fender...

Attached picture 8101293-airpan2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums