Moparts

Project Daytuna underway! More pics!

Posted By: slantzilla

Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/27/08 02:25 AM

Braved the 100 miles or so fo ice today to go down and take Ma and Pa out for Christmas dinner. After dinner I went to the shop and started tearing apart the Daytuna so we can get it into Patrick's shop and cut it apart. We will end up moving the firewall back almost 9 inches, move the seat/pedals around so that he and I both can drive the car comfortably (not at the same time ) and change the downtubes around so the top of the struts are mounted to them, get rid of as much stock frame/sheetmetal underhood as possible, and fab up some tubular A-arms.

Then, hopefully my nitrous huffing Slant and 904 will fit. If it does, then it goes to member Jeff57's shop to get some headers built.

Pics so far:

All in all not a bad car for what I gave for it. Just needs some love.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/27/08 02:28 AM

Hopefully it's a lot lighter and cleaner under the hood when we're done.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/27/08 02:34 AM

be a nice project for you...like to see it..

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/27/08 02:36 AM

Quote:

be a nice project for you...like to see it..

Hopefully coming soon to a dragstrip near you.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/27/08 04:11 AM

Was that pretty much a roller that you just need to
revamp to you /6... should be a fun project. Will
that be a N/A /6 or is it pressure time

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/27/08 04:18 AM

Quote:

Was that pretty much a roller that you just need to
revamp to you /6... should be a fun project. Will
that be a N/A /6 or is it pressure time

Yes Raff, I bought it as a roller. It had a 380 Crate shortblock and Glide in it, but I passed on those.

It will get a Slant/904, and I have a fogger system if I get tired of the plate. I can get away with a 150 shot from either.

I'm hoping to get it light enough that I can break into the 10's.
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/27/08 11:48 AM

Quote:

get rid of as much stock frame/sheetmetal underhood as possible, and fab up some tubular A-arms.

If you are going to go this far with it,I'd suggest you think real strong about moving the front axle centerline forward a couple of inches. Better weight distribution and a lot better handling with a longer wheelbase.
Compare the two front fenders on our cars, and you can see the difference it makes.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/28/08 02:28 AM

Very interesting project. What intake and carb will you use?

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/28/08 08:06 AM

Quote:

Very interesting project. What intake and carb will you use?

I have a Clifford intake and 600 double pumper. The intake has been slightly modified by Mike Jeffrey, and is set up with a fogger.

SKR8PN-I will save the wheelbase alterations for the next overhaul. I really want to make this a full tube car in the future, and add some fiberglass.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/29/08 03:46 PM

And I thought I had a lot to do!

Will it be ready for Kearney?

CJ

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 12/29/08 11:03 PM

Quote:

And I thought I had a lot to do!

Will it be ready for Kearney?

CJ

I hope so. I really hope I have some runs on it before Kearney. Luckily the date for Kearney hasn't been set yet.

Started cutting today - 01/02/09 12:35 AM

Went down and got some work done on the car today. Didn't find any big surprises when I was removing the firewall, everything was Arkansas just like I thought.

One thing I did see that I want to fix is the rack is way offcenter, and too narrow for the car. The passenger side tie rod is aboot 5" longer than the driver's side. My rack that I got from AJE for the Duster may just fit right in there. It's too wide for the Duster, it may be just right for the Daytuna.

On the trailer:

Lots of boxes I need to figure out:

Firewall rough cut out and strut tower notched for the down bar to go through:

Same thing, other side:

Gratuitous picture of my 340/stick I bought from Patrick:

First order of bidness is to run the new down tubes and mount the struts to them. Then we can get rid of the stock towers and a lot of the tin work around them.

Re: Started cutting today - 01/18/09 07:16 AM

Patrick and I did some more chopping around on the car today, and even got the first down bar fitted and tacked in. Patrick decided that instead of trying to work around the cowl, we'd just cut it out and weld it back in later. It did make it tons easier to work on the car.

Got Bondobob working on a pair of ball joint sleeves so we don't have to hack up the stock A-arms. I want to stay with the stock spindles because the Monocoque wheels are the metric FWD bolt pattern.

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Started cutting today - 01/18/09 12:42 PM

looks good slant, but your going to have to rewire that rats nest

Re: Started cutting today - 01/18/09 01:34 PM

Quote:

looks good slant, but your going to have to rewire that rats nest

Yep. It is a used race car, it kind of goes with the territory.

Getting all new brake lines too.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Started cutting today - 01/18/09 03:35 PM

Quote:

Went down and got some work done on the car today. Didn't find any big surprises when I was removing the firewall, everything was Arkansas just like I thought.

One thing I did see that I want to fix is the rack is way offcenter, and too narrow for the car. The passenger side tie rod is aboot 5" longer than the driver's side. My rack that I got from AJE for the Duster may just fit right in there. It's too wide for the Duster, it may be just right for the Daytuna.

On the trailer: SLANT ,I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE FROM CANADA.

Lots of boxes I need to figure out:

Firewall rough cut out and strut tower notched for the down bar to go through:

Same thing, other side:

Gratuitous picture of my 340/stick I bought from Patrick:

First order of bidness is to run the new down tubes and mount the struts to them. Then we can get rid of the stock towers and a lot of the tin work around them.

Re: Started cutting today - 01/18/09 05:17 PM

Quote:

On the trailer: SLANT ,I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE FROM CANADA.

Eh?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Started cutting today - 01/19/09 06:33 PM

I DIDNT KNOW IF YOUD GET THAT OR NOT
Posted By: 68Plymouths

Re: Started cutting today - 01/19/09 11:39 PM

Got the other down bar in yesterday. Welded both. Ready to cut out the old down bars. Too much fun!

Re: Started cutting today - 01/20/09 01:56 AM

Quote:

Got the other down bar in yesterday. Welded both. Ready to cut out the old down bars. Too much fun!

Welcome back to the board Patrick.

No pictures?

I should be down early Saturday morning.

Re: Started cutting today - 01/25/09 01:49 AM

More cutting and welding today.

Got the pedals hacked off the cage so we can move them.

I cut all the excess metal out from under the cowl piece so it is ready for Patrick the weld back in when the time comes.

Patrick got the strut mounts fabbed and one welded on.

Next time we mount the other strut bracket and then start on the frame extensions and lower A-arms.

Re: Started cutting today - 02/01/09 05:08 AM

Did some more chopping apart today. Got the A-arms, pieces of stock K-frame, and more of the old fenderwells cut out. I had to leave early to stop and see my Pops in the hospital. Patrick was working on extending the frame rails to the front and installing a crossmember.

Looked to me like we got about another 30 pounds out today that will not be replaced.

Found out today that Pops is in renal failure and will be on dialysis for the rest of his life. He's 81 and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. They are giving him a little machine so he can do it himself at home. Pops was on the rescue/fire department for 55 years and an EMT for 20+. He likes medical machines, it's a new toy for him.

Ma doesn't seem to be as happy about it as Pops is.
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Front end - 02/01/09 12:03 PM

If you have any intention on upgrading the front not to worry. If you go with a Wilwood front disc set up there wouldnt be an issue. The bolt pattern on your wheels is probably 4" small Mopar anyways. The hubs on Wildoods are drilled and tapped for both lg. and sm. bolt patters. Just something to keep in mind. The 100mm metric and 4" are almost exactly the same. Whells interchange between them with no problem at all. Thanks, Ken
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Front end - 02/01/09 04:07 PM

Sorry to here about your dad. Sounds like he is in good spirits though. Hope everything will be okay with him..

You guys are moving right along on that. Looks fun. I always liked the hack things apart mode. But it's nice when ya have the room to put the new stuff back in. Can't wait til ya get it done.. Keeping all this in mind IF I decide to go to this body style in the future..
Posted By: nosboy

Re: Started cutting today - 02/01/09 08:50 PM

I think it's ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!! It looks like a LOAD OF FUN!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Re: Started cutting today - 02/01/09 10:41 PM

Quote:

I think it's ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!! It looks like a LOAD OF FUN!!! Keep up the good work!!!

There may even be room for a pig block in there when I'm done Gary.

Thanks KatFysh.

Got a call from Ma today. Now they have decided that Pops has 1 good kidney and 1 dead one. They are going to remove the dead one to strengthen the good one. He may not have to be on dialysis at all.
Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: Started cutting today - 02/28/09 12:57 AM

Quote:

Got Bondobob working on a pair of ball joint sleeves so we don't have to hack up the stock A-arms. I want to stay with the stock spindles because the Monocoque wheels are the metric FWD bolt pattern.

sleeve is 1 inch tall and i recessed the ball joint into it
will be alot easyier to tig the 1 inch moly to the sleeves now instead of doing a .600 tall sleeve
Bondo

Attached picture 5058127-SDC10174.JPG

Re: Started cutting today - 02/28/09 12:58 AM

Attached picture 5058131-SDC10177.JPG

Re: Started cutting today - 02/28/09 12:59 AM

Attached picture 5058134-SDC10179.JPG

Re: Started cutting today - 02/28/09 02:27 AM

Looks great Bob. I wondered if that would be your solution to the problem of width.

See you at the ICH Swap next weekend.
Posted By: JoWeTu_6

Re: Started cutting today - 03/01/09 08:22 PM

Nice project, I did mine from the ground up also, it was my frist ground up and man it was a lot of fun (even the head achs) enjoy it family first then car.
And yes increasing your wheel base will decrease your scarry factor and increase your fun factor.

JoWeTu_6

Attached picture 5062643-840A0055.JPG

Re: Started cutting today - 03/02/09 12:32 AM

Very nice JoWe.

Went down to Patrick's today and got some more cutting and welding done. I finally pulled the trigger on taking out the stock front frame rails. I just could not figure out how to leave them and not have them look hilljack.

New front frame

Old front frame

Front extensions gussetted on

Just for Quicktree, Keep your Mopar all Mopar

I know hindsight is always 20-20, but if I had to do this again we'd start with an Alston or Jegster front clip kit.
Posted By: robsimmons

Re: Started cutting today - 03/02/09 10:13 AM

Quote:

I know hindsight is always 20-20, but if I had to do this again we'd start with an Alston or Jegster front clip kit.

Watching and learning 'Zilla. Thanks!
(Turismo 225)

Re: Started cutting today - 04/07/09 01:55 AM

Been collecting parts for the last few weeks. Got an M/C from Dr. Diff, ball joint sleeves from Bondobob, assorted tubing and pieces from High Speed Performance, and other small stuff from Speedway and A.R.T.

Not much gonna happen this weekend, but next weekend we start on the A-arms.

Patrick also got an 8 foot box and pan brake. After we decide where the motor will end up we will start on the firewall.

Re: Started cutting today - 04/07/09 03:59 AM

Great job, movoing wright along I see, dont forget to stretch the front a couple of inches, longer wheel base will give you better handeling and safty.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

JoWeTu_6

Attached picture 5147924-840A0097.JPG

Re: Started cutting today - 04/07/09 04:26 AM

Quote:

Great job, movoing wright along I see, dont forget to stretch the front a couple of inches, longer wheel base will give you better handeling and safty.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

JoWeTu_6

with the longer wheelbase
Posted By: Wild Ride 69

Re: Started cutting today - 04/07/09 09:55 AM

You sure are moving right along

Re: Started cutting today - 04/12/09 01:23 PM

Got a little work done yesterday. Patrick got the mounts for the A-arms located and tacked on. We also decided on where the motor/trans will be set back to. After a lot of figuring, refiguring, and disfiguring the motor will be moved back 9 inches. Took out the seat, floor and the old mounts/driveshaft loop. The project is at the stage now where I can actually envision it back together and heading for the exhaust shop for headers instead of an endless amount of work.

Don't know if Patrick feels the same way though. He's doing most of the work.

Posted By: cgall

Re: Started cutting today - 04/13/09 09:33 PM

What is Patrick doing after this little fab job?

Re: Started cutting today - 04/13/09 09:39 PM

Quote:

Very nice JoWe.

Went down to Patrick's today and got some more cutting and welding done. I finally pulled the trigger on taking out the stock front frame rails. I just could not figure out how to leave them and not have them look hilljack.

New front frame

Old front frame

Front extensions gussetted on

Just for Quicktree, Keep your Mopar all Mopar

I am very glad to see you removed the stock frame rails! Are you also stretching the wheelbase?? You will be much happier if you do!

Re: Started cutting today - 04/13/09 09:40 PM

Quote:

Nice project, I did mine from the ground up also, it was my frist ground up and man it was a lot of fun (even the head achs) enjoy it family first then car.
And yes increasing your wheel base will decrease your scarry factor and increase your fun factor.

JoWeTu_6

I don't want to hijack this thread, but VERY nice Daytona JoWeTu_6 !!!

Re: Started cutting today - 04/13/09 09:54 PM

Wheelbase will be stretched a little. It will be better than it was. The car had real limited turning radius because the driver's side tire would get into the back of the wheelwell.

Cab-After this Patrick has a '69 Barracuda sitting in my shop that he will be putting back together.

Re: Started cutting today - 04/18/09 07:44 PM

Thanx, at this point I'm just wating on parts some vendors are not as good and slower than others. LoL

JoWeTu_6

Attached picture 5172484-IMG00019.jpg

It's got 4 wheels again! - 04/26/09 01:59 AM

Patrick and I started on the tubular A-arms this morning. Project went real well, car is back on all 4. Only thing that is not the way I think it should be is the rack location. I feel it is too far forward. We will be doing the final locating of the engine next time, and hopefully it will move up enough that we can move the rack back a couple inches. All in all, the front end went well for not having a drawing or blueprint to work off of. Yes, I looked at a car at High Speed in Mokena and told Patrick what I wanted from memory.

Left side arm:

Attached picture 5188210-Daytuna3-1001.jpg

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 04/26/09 01:59 AM

Right side arm:

Attached picture 5188214-Daytuna3-1005.jpg

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 04/26/09 02:00 AM

Rack:

Attached picture 5188215-Daytuna3-1008.jpg

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 04/26/09 02:01 AM

On 4 wheels:

Attached picture 5188218-Daytuna3-1006.jpg

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 04/26/09 02:02 AM

The Master at work:

Attached picture 5188224-Daytuna3-1004.jpg

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 04/26/09 02:04 AM

Many thanks to Patrick and all the work he's done for me on the car.

Thanks too to Bondobob. The sleeves worked perfectly.

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 04/27/09 01:16 AM

looking good !
glad to help out and see it back on all 4's

Bondobob

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 05/02/09 10:44 PM

Patrick got the engine located today, the tubes for the motor plate tacked in, and the rack put back where it belongs. Trans is in with a poly mount now also.

Trans.

Rack in the right place now. We'll make tie rod adjuster sleeves next time. The ones in it now are the wrong length, and have right hand threads on both ends.

I've caught crap from some friends because none of the pictures have me in them.

Patrick didn't want to be left out either.

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 02:02 AM

Finally had some time to do a little work on the car today. Patrick has been pretty busy with work and is also going to school to finish his Masters in engineering. I took time out to buy a house and move.

Raised the steering column up some so it is easier to get in and out of the car. Seat is located, just have to do the final mounting.

Tacked in the gas pedal and test fitted the trans tunnel. Next step is the foot box and firewall. Then the car will come home so I can rewire and plumb it.
Posted By: B1HEAD_USER

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 03:13 PM

Looks like a fun project. I've always thought it would be a blast to do a fast slant 6 car.

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 03:27 PM

Quote:

Looks like a fun project. I've always thought it would be a blast to do a fast slant 6 car.

I hope I'm building one now.

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 04:33 PM

looks good , man that car looks small

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 04:33 PM

hey ask Patrick where he got that funny looking hat from
Posted By: DCI

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I hope I'm building one now.

Come on you know there is no such things as a fast slant 6 car!

Looking good Dennis....should be a fun little car when you get done.

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 06:13 PM

Quote:

It's even smaller when I try to squeeze my fat @zz in it Tony.

Not sure about the hat, I always thought it was a souvenir from Ranger training.

Hey Tom, how's things? When I get tired of the bottle this thing may end up with one of them there curly hair dryer thingies on it.
Posted By: DCI

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 06:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Tom, how's things? When I get tired of the bottle this thing may end up with one of them there curly hair dryer thingies on it.

And you think the blue bottle is addictive!!! LOL
Posted By: Rampage16v

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/25/09 09:12 PM

I like the curly hair dryer and they like the cooling effects of the bottle...ALOT!
Posted By: Crizila

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/26/09 01:10 AM

Really coming along big D! If you are ever interested in a skinny azzed old driver, I work cheap. I'd probably be worth a couple of tenths. You gonna be up for another drag racer pizza party some time in January?

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/26/09 09:28 PM

Quote:

Really coming along big D! If you are ever interested in a skinny azzed old driver, I work cheap. I'd probably be worth a couple of tenths. You gonna be up for another drag racer pizza party some time in January?

If you're not in Arizona when we get it running you'll be very welcome to give it a shot.

You bet I'll be there. Last one was a real hoot.

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/29/09 05:58 PM

Hey Dennis, be sure and post a before and after weight on the rolling chassis please. I'd be very interested in just how much saved - maybe?

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 10/29/09 09:57 PM

John, I did not weigh it before westarted chopping, but Kevin said it weighed 2500# w/a small block and Glide.

I am hoping that when we're done cutting it will weigh 25-2600 w/Slant-904 and my fat azz in it.

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 11/22/09 12:46 AM

Patrick has been busy fabbing firewall pieces in between work, family vacations, and going to school for his masters. He's about half done with the firewall now, and I'm very happy with how it will look after it gets welded in.

Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 11/22/09 12:56 AM

Keep up the progress, looking good

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 11/22/09 01:20 AM

Quote:

Patrick has been busy fabbing firewall pieces in between work, family vacations, and going to school for his masters. He's about half done with the firewall now, and I'm very happy with how it will look after it gets welded in.

what the heck is that yellow thing with the smoke stack?

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 11/22/09 04:05 AM

Quote:

what the heck is that yellow thing with the smoke stack?

Those are to let the smoke out in case of a nitrous "thermal event".
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 11/22/09 03:09 PM

A LITTLE INSPIRATION.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/s...nt=MOV03420.flv

Re: It's got 4 wheels again! - 11/22/09 04:29 PM

Quote:

A LITTLE INSPIRATION.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/s...nt=MOV03420.flv

Love that launch.

Don't think mine will do that though, at least not with a 232 motor anyway.
Posted By: SP3188

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 11/26/09 10:19 PM

were did you get the daytuna?

Re: Project Daytuna underway! - 11/26/09 10:20 PM

Bought it off BK's board from Kevin Garceau.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 11/26/09 10:33 PM

I am the origanol owner of that daytuna.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 11/27/09 04:38 AM

Quote:

I am the origanol owner of that daytuna.

Very cool! I had heard that it came out of Indiana originally. Did you race it as a SS/GT car?

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 11/28/09 01:01 AM

no just a pro and super pro car

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/06/09 12:45 AM

Got a little more done today. Did some more cutting to get clearance for the driver's side foot box, and got the driver's floor laid in. Polished aluminum diamond plate. Paul Sr. would be proud of us.

I just noticed that the day I started this thread I took Mom and Dad out for dinner. Wow, I never expected at that time it would be my last Christmas with Pops.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/06/09 01:15 AM

Good to see the progress, keep it going

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/26/09 11:26 PM

Patrick has been busy. Firewall and foot box are almost done. Even test fitted the windshield today to see how well we did lining up the cowl to the bottom of it. Looks like it will be OK.

Foot box

Driver's side of the tunnel

Top of the foot box. Patrick made it removable to access the brake/throttle pedals

Seat in it's final position

Patrick has a couple more little filler panels to fab yet, then we pull the motor/trans out and start welding it all together.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/26/09 11:36 PM

has it been a year already...man time flies as you get older..

project is looking good..

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/26/09 11:46 PM

Thanks Jeff. Yep, it's a year today.

I think we've done fairly well for doing it part time in between everything Patrick and I have had going on.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/26/09 11:58 PM

I have not yet commented on this, but i have to say that this is by far one of the neatest projects i have seen go together. I can't wait to see the end results of this build---as i am sure you cant wait for it to be done either. Keep up the great work you guys are putting into it.
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/27/09 12:35 AM

Dennis is it gonna be ready by ETI?

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/27/09 02:04 AM

Lookin really good big D. That seat might be a little too big for me though Think I'd wrap that hole motor in a blanket before I'd have a "nitrous thermel event" ruin that beautiful tin work!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/27/09 02:12 AM

85-Thank you very much. It is at the point I am getting excited about it being done too.

Jerry-I am doubtful that it will be ready for ETI, but hopefully opening day.

John-We can put a couple phone books beside you to keep you in the seat.
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/27/09 03:01 PM

The Daytuna is coming along nicely. I've been watching the updates just not posting. Seeing how you've had the 1 year anniversary, are you where you hoped to be? I've been thinking about what I'm going to build after my wifes Scout is done and I'm back to thinking about a '91 Laser..Just too soon to decide. Looking good. Keep stabbing away.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/27/09 04:50 PM

Thanks KatFysh.

Of course I thought we'd be done by now, but lots of life has gotten in the way. Plus, I am a realist when it comes to this stuff. It always takes a lot longer and costs a lot more than expected. If I had it at a dedicated shop I would be furious, but since it's just 2 guys hacking away part time I am very pleased. It never helps that we have done lots of "while we're at it" things too.

In hindsight, if I had suspected how deep we were going to get into this thing I would have just bought something like a Jegster strut front end kit. Oh well, live and learn.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/27/09 10:33 PM

Problem is the guy that Dennis has working for him has ADHD and always has about 15 projects all going at the same time.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/28/09 12:46 AM

Quote:

Problem is the guy that Dennis has working for him has ADHD and always has about 15 projects all going at the same time.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/01/10 07:55 PM

Well, even with completing his Masters, Patrick has been busy lately. Firewall is almost completely welded in, all that is left is to seam seal and paint it. Then it goes to member Jeff57 to get a set of headers built.

He's even painted the tunnel.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/01/10 08:15 PM

looks good bet you labor goes up now that he has his masters

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/01/10 08:22 PM

Quote:

looks good bet you labor goes up now that he has his masters

Look at the bright side Tony. Twice nothin' is still nothin'.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/23/10 10:28 PM

Hung the nose back on it temporarily today. Jeff picked up the header flanges so he will be ready when the car gets there. Patrick has a couple more little things he wants to address, and then it goes on to have the headers built.

Underhood:

Patrick's 6 y/o boy William:

Front shot:

Side shot:

Almost looks like a race car again. Life is good.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/24/10 02:10 AM

Really shaping up nice Dennis. Will it be ready for the fall MATS? They are breaking ground on my new garage / shop tomorrow. Should be done by mid June. My rides are still sitting in Phoenix.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/24/10 03:00 AM

Quote:

Really shaping up nice Dennis. Will it be ready for the fall MATS? They are breaking ground on my new garage / shop tomorrow. Should be done by mid June. My rides are still sitting in Phoenix.

I do not know John. Right now my world is full of waiting to get Mom's estate settled and getting my house ready to sell.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/24/10 03:09 AM

Looks,good Dennis!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/25/10 03:38 AM

looking good guys

keep away at it

Bob

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/26/10 02:11 AM

Thanks Bob and Ted. It does semm like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not a bus.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 07/05/10 12:25 PM

Picked the car up from Patrick's shop yesterday and delivered it to Jeff Long for headers. It will be a 3X2 set with 1-3/4" primaries at least 30" long. Jeff was really happy with the amount of room he has to work with.

He has a set to build for a Cummins diesel in a pulling tractor, then mine. Should have it back in 30 days or so.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 07/05/10 04:13 PM

Nice work! I haven't checked your progress lately but now I see it is coming along well. kudos

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 11/10/10 03:16 AM

Picked the car up from Jeff Long's shop Sunday. Headers look very good to me. 1-5/8-1-3/4" step, 32" equal length primaries, Schoenfeld collectors, lots of ground clearance, and I can remove the starter with them on. Thanks Jeff!

Posted By: Hitman340

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 11/10/10 02:36 PM

You guys have a cool project going on and your doing a nice job on it.
Keep up the good work.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/24/10 11:11 PM

Picked up the headers from the coaters today. That's the end of the project until warmer weather returns.

Merry Christmas all!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/24/10 11:22 PM

Hey Merry X-mas Dennis from Mare and me. Matts = April 7-10. Don't let the winter stop ya
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 12:40 AM

Whassa matter? Can't fire up the woodstove because the woodchucks chucked all your wood?

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 03:24 AM

Yep. No heat at my shop and the wife would really be underwhelmed with me if I brought it home and left the her car outside all winter.

Right back at ya John. MATS is a possibility so far. Just have to see how work looks and if we get the folk's estate settled by then.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 03:26 AM

Way to go Dennis!! See ya Tri-State next year??
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 03:32 AM

NEAT headers ....but WHERE is the OTHER SIDE of that v-12 engine ?

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 03:49 AM

Ted, I'm hoping to get the car running and it goes straight. If we make it that far then we'll see about travelling. I was at Tri-State helping my buddy with his stocker in October. I really like that track.

Doc, I had to get rid of them. I have enough trouble keeping 6 running.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 04:40 PM

Looks good Dennis. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck? If a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Now theres something to ponder down yonder.
Merry Christmas Don

Attached picture 6377183-burnout5-27-07.jpg

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 04:50 PM

It is a good track,Dennis! Love the long shutdown..The only way they could make it better is to have lights for night racing!! Happy Holidays,buddy!!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/25/10 06:04 PM

Quote:

It is a good track,Dennis! Love the long shutdown..The only way they could make it better is to have lights for night racing!! Happy Holidays,buddy!!

Right back at ya Ted!

See you at the track Don.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 09/13/11 01:08 AM

Took a day yesterday and rode down to the shop. Took some country roads I had never been on and went into a couple small towns I had never been in, just goofing off. Got to the shop and put the Daytona up on stands and pulled the rear out of it.

Disassembled everything and verified that it has Moser 30 spline axles in it, spool w/4.56 gears, and 10" brakes. Got some big fill/drain plugs ordered from Moser that Patrick will be installing soon. Then the housing and brakes got to Jeff Long's shop for bead blasting, then back to my shop for painting and re-assembly. Then, I can bring the car home and start wiring and plumbing.

Also heard from Keith Long yesterday about my trans that I wounded earlier this year. He tore it down and looked it over, and it appears that I broke the converter and got lucky enough that it did not send shrapnel all through the trans.

My wife keeps asking why I haven't finished this thing yet. I keep telling her that I absolutely do not want to finish it on credit cards. I'll do what I can as money allows.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 09/13/11 01:38 AM

Looking good Dennis!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 09/13/11 01:40 AM

all sounds good Dennis...credit card debt is the worse to be in...if it takes 10 years to build a car, then so be it...I'm on the 15 year plan
Posted By: dvw

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 09/13/11 02:20 AM

Quote:

Took a day yesterday and rode down to the shop. Took some country roads I had never been on and went into a couple small towns I had never been in, just goofing off. Got to the shop and put the Daytona up on stands and pulled the rear out of it.

Disassembled everything and verified that it has Moser 30 spline axles in it, spool w/4.56 gears, and 10" brakes. Got some big fill/drain plugs ordered from Moser that Patrick will be installing soon. Then the housing and brakes got to Jeff Long's shop for bead blasting, then back to my shop for painting and re-assembly. Then, I can bring the car home and start wiring and plumbing.

Also heard from Keith Long yesterday about my trans that I wounded earlier this year. He tore it down and looked it over, and it appears that I broke the converter and got lucky enough that it did not send shrapnel all through the trans.

My wife keeps asking why I haven't finished this thing yet. I keep telling her that I absolutely do not want to finish it on credit cards. I'll do what I can as money allows.

I agree 100%. I build mine all on side job money.
Doug
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 09/13/11 03:35 AM

Quote:

Hung the nose back on it temporarily today. Jeff picked up the header flanges so he will be ready when the car gets there. Patrick has a couple more little things he wants to address, and then it goes on to have the headers built.

Underhood:

Patrick's 6 y/o boy William:

Front shot:

Side shot:

Almost looks like a race car again. Life is good.

Good start Dennis, Soon it will almost like this..

Attached picture 6823782-2010TT002.jpg

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 09/14/11 01:32 AM

Quote:

Good start Dennis, Soon it will almost like this..

I like your hood. Mine is a cowl, and it has been patched up. It will get replaced sooner or later.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 09/14/11 01:35 AM

Keep at it,Dennis!! You will do just fine!!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 10/10/11 03:34 AM

Rode the bike down to Patrick's shop today and helped him install the bungs for the Moser drain and fill plugs. I know there's a bunghole joke in there somewhere, but it's too late to figure it out.

Patrick has a little more welding to do and the housing goes over to Jeff Long for bead blasting. Hopefully before long I'll have it back on the wheels, and then it will come home as weather permits for wiring/brakes/plumbing.
Posted By: moprod

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 10/10/11 06:52 PM

gonna be a neat piece for sure. Looking good!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 12/10/11 04:12 AM

Housing and backing plates are at Jeff's Custom Exhaust in Paxton getting bead blasted. Ordered all the rear brake parts tonight. Supposed to pick the housing up when I'm on Christmas break. Then I can paint it, reassemble it, and put it back in the car.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 04:43 AM

Gathered more parts. Got the calipers and rotors for the front, smaller slicks, a Fisher damper, another timing chain set, and not one but two new cams. I have officially joined the .600"+ lift club.

Also scored a nice unused set of 4.30 gears for a 742 case.

Life is good.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 04:56 AM

how far along are you Dennis...

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 05:01 AM

Just have to reassemble the rear and then it is ready to bring home to rewire and plumb. Motor and trans are sitting on the floor at my shop all ready to go in when needed.

Hard to get time to work on it anymore. I changed departments at work and am now scheduled 6 days every week.

How's your project going?

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 05:11 AM

it's going good...I have a friend that is a certified welder doing all the CM and fixing my bad welds..the rear is just about completed, started back on the front frame rails and tomorrow I'll start bending the CM cage...

keep asking myself, why are you doing this...

well its about time I finish it and try to get it out around summer...at least its a goal, Right??

heres a link to pics I took in January..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v506/smokinwoody/Dodge%20updates%201-17-12/?albumview=slideshow

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 11:57 AM

Posted By: all spooled up

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 04:17 PM

did you ever think of turboing your slant.. love the daytona..
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 06:16 PM

Did you use the orginal strg knuckles and struts? Can't tell for sure from the pics? Jim

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/02/12 11:55 PM

Quote:

did you ever think of turboing your slant.. love the daytona..

Yes, that is a project for "someday" though.

Jim, they are stock knuckles and aftermarket struts. ProFabBob machined up some ball joint sockets that would work with the tubular A-arms we built.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 02/05/12 11:57 PM

Was down at the shop today so I pulled a wheel off to check and see if my new front brake parts were actually the correct ones.

They are.

It also appears that I have enough room in the hubs to get them drilled to the 4-1/2" bolt pattern. That will open up my wheel choices if I ever decide to get rid of the Moncoques on the car now.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 03/18/12 01:33 PM

Rear and new slicks are back under the car. Went from 14X32's to 12X30's. Looks kinda strange without the wheel wells completely stuffed with tire.

Whoever said "size don't matter" lied.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 03/18/12 04:46 PM

So is this hot rod gonna turn the tires this year? I can't wait to see the final results!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 03/18/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

So is this hot rod gonna turn the tires this year? I can't wait to see the final results!

I hope so. Once my red truck gets sold I will have room to bring it home and finish the wiring/plumbing. Motor and trans are ready to go in.

I have successfully made it past the "Why did I ever buy this piece of junk" stage and am now excited about it being a running car.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 04/23/12 12:34 AM

Didn't bring it home, but I did do some tearing apart. My original plan was to rewire the car front to back, and having started on it, it is a good plan indeed.

Started at the back and pulled the cover panel off the battery/fuel cell area. WOW! Way worse than I thought it would be, and I thought it wouldn't be much.

Car is set up for dual batteries, but the battery boxes aren't big enough for Group 24 batteries. PO had a Group 24 stuck in one box anyway. Cables were kinda routed decently, BUT the charging posts on the rear of the car were hooked up backwards. Sure glad I never tried to run this thing.

There is about 24 miles of wire for the tail lights that will be eliminated. I am going to run most of the tail lights, but will put the correct bulbs in them so the lenses won't melt anymore. There were blue bulbs in the reverse light sockets. That's kinda neat but kind of hillbilly at the same time.

The really nice Aeromotive fuel pump needs a little love. It would not run when I tried it. Took it apart and cleaned it, but the top bearing appears to be seized up. Gonna try to get some new parts for it.

Fuel cell needs a good cleaning, and then I am going to replumb it. Just don't like the way it's done now.

The good news is that the overhead switch panel will stay. It is a pretty nice Painless unit. Other than that, almost all the wiring inside the car will be replaced.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 04/23/12 05:08 AM

Glad to hear your back at it Dennis. Pics, we need pics.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 04/24/12 02:57 AM

Quote:

Glad to hear your back at it Dennis. Pics, we need pics.

Haven't really changed it much since the last pics John. I'll get some more next time I go down there.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 04/24/12 03:42 PM

dennis have you heard the green car is back home in Carthage. Jim

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 04/25/12 01:17 AM

Quote:

Mark made a avgue reference to it on the Slant board. He made it sound like they were building another Lancer.

I am glad they got it back. Bob was going to let it sit until it rotted.

I actually tried to buy it a few years ago. Bob said it would never leave his posession ever.

That is an awesome car. Lots of really great engineering went into it, and it was pretty much show class too.
Posted By: USAJon

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 04/25/12 01:40 AM

nice..

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 04/29/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

Jim, traded e-mails with Mark. It is not the 5 speed car, it is a new one they built.

He said Bob wanted stupid money to sell them the 5 speed car back.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/13/12 11:09 PM

It is home. Now for the daunting task of wiring.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/14/12 12:01 AM

Bet we can work something out if you need a hand with the wiring.

Scott

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/14/12 01:13 AM

Thanks for the offer Scott, but it isn't really going to be too bad. I have pretty much new everything, and there will be a lot less wires when I am done.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/14/12 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jim, traded e-mails with Mark. It is not the 5 speed car, it is a new one they built.

He said Bob wanted stupid money to sell them the 5 speed car back.

They did get the 5 spd car back. Have raced it a couple of times now. Jim

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/14/12 03:42 AM

Quote:

They did get the 5 spd car back. Have raced it a couple of times now. Jim

Very interesting. Mark told me that it was a '61 they built from a car he had laying around.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/14/12 01:15 PM

I like wiring....

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/14/12 11:07 PM

Quote:

I like wiring....

I don't dislike it, especially when I am starting with new everything.
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/15/12 07:52 AM

Nice work, cant wait to see the finished product

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/18/12 09:19 PM

I don't know, I heard the guy you had doing your fabrication and front suspension work has some issues...

Actuall, I'm ready to take that think down the track a few times!

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 05/18/12 11:47 PM

Quote:

I don't know, I heard the guy you had doing your fabrication and front suspension work has some issues...

Actuall, I'm ready to take that think down the track a few times!

You do, and you will.

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 06/27/12 03:20 AM

Well, I have the batteries and cables all squared away. The charging posts are actually hooked up in the right direction now too.

Cell is mounted, switch panel, fuse block, relays, and starter solenoid are in and working.

Dash is repainted and ready to mount in the car.

Cell is now vented OUTSIDE the car. It really frightens me that a car that was on alcohol was running with the vent dumping inside the car.

Downloaded the instructions for the MSD Digital 6 and the Autometer tach.

I can not find my new master cylinder though. Cars been so many places in the last 3 years I may never find it.

The old red car is gone too. Gave the body to a friend of mine from Indy and helped him put his motor/trans in it and get it squared away. Had a lot of fun in the old turd, was the fastest Slant 6 street car in the country for many years, but never did like the car.

Posted By: kegan71

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 07/13/12 08:28 AM

Nice Progress Dennis! I have some things to show you if you make MMW at Indy with it!

Attached picture 7290303-Ipodpics029.jpg

Re: Project Daytuna underway! More pics! - 11/28/15 12:45 AM

Finally went back to work on the car this fall. Got the motor/trans in, cooling and fuel systems plumbed, and made a bracket to mount the fan to the radiator instead of the 2 bungee cords holding it on. Got a PPP shifter ready to go in too.

Went down today and put it back in the back of the shop for the winter. Got my Turd truck and Duster put away too. Buddy is bringing his son's '68 Satellite over Sunday and we're closed up for the winter.

IF all goes according to plan I may be changing jobs soon and be closer to home AND only work 5 days a week. Then I might even have time to get this pig to the track once in awhile. boogie
© 2024 Moparts Forums