Moparts

Cometic Head gaskets

Posted By: cool70cuda

Cometic Head gaskets - 03/08/14 03:09 AM

Has anyone used Cometic head gaskets and had problems with coolant leaks? I'm using them with a cast block and Indy heads. Thanks
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Cometic Head gaskets - 03/08/14 03:18 AM

I never had a leak. 50ra finish on the deck & heads. Copper coat all 6 sides of the gaskets & ur good.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Cometic Head gaskets - 03/08/14 04:46 AM

Quote:

Has anyone used Cometic head gaskets and had problems with coolant leaks? I'm using them with a cast block and Indy heads. Thanks

They leaked on my small block, dry install, proper finish. I added stop leak 5 years ago and it was never an issue again. My big block w/Indys. Same deal dry, proper finish, no leaks w/o stop leak. Reused the BB w/copper spray, no leaks.
Doug
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Cometic Head gaskets - 03/08/14 06:19 AM

Yes have had some issues but a mechanic in a bottle(stop leak)always fixed it.
Posted By: Newbomb_Turk

Re: Cometic Head gaskets - 03/08/14 05:45 PM

I know several people that had leak issues, Cometic tells you to install dry, DON'T DO IT!! Like in other responses, copper coat spray all sides, between gaskets, and never a leak, worked for me!
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Cometic Head gaskets - 03/08/14 06:38 PM

Just also be careful that none of the rivets that hold the cometics together interfere with the block and the heads. I had problems with this with indy heads(572-13 heads) and my megablock. EspeciallyThe bottom rivet(near exhaust ports) .
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cometic Head gaskets - 03/09/14 07:50 AM

As already pointed out the proper finish is the key to them sealing dry, with no problems I've done it more than several times in the last four years. No Coppercoat needed if your parts are finish correctly
Posted By: cool70cuda

Re: Cometic Head gaskets - 03/12/14 04:24 AM

Thanks for the responses. We had the engine running and it was leaking from the head gaskets. Had installed them with copper coat and no obstructions. Ended up using BG coolant sealer and after a few heat cycles and a long drive, the leak is gone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums