Moparts

Labrat GTX DEBUT!

Posted By: roadhazard

Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 04:01 AM

Our friend Randy "Labrat" Borawski's GTX is making it's opening debut THIS WEEKEND at the Auto-Rama, COBO Hall.

I'm sure the majority on here know how proud Randy would have been to see this completed.

Just thought I'd share and if someone can share pictures of the GTX with his Moparts brothers I'm sure it would be appreciated

Link;
https://www.facebook.com/randy.borawski1/posts/833040850046552?comment_id=8870927&notif_t=like

For those who do not do facebook;
Laura Daniel,‎Randy Borawski
On the 3 month anniversary of my fathers passing, i would like to announce that his GTX is up and running thanks to his devoted and amazing friends Jerry Brogdon and Mike Driest. They are true heros in memory of Randy.

The GTX will be showcased at the Auto-Rama this weekend at Cobo Hall.
Randy would be very happy... — with Jerry Brogdon.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 04:03 AM

That's Awesome!!! He would be proud. Good work from his friends.
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 04:10 AM

That's great! Awesome way to honour him. Hats off to Jerry Brogdon and Mike Driest. Maybe someone can post some pics of the GTX at the show.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 04:19 AM

I'll be at the show tomorrow. What am I looking for ??

FB link isn't working!
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 04:46 AM

Glad to see Randy's up dates finished. He was fortunate to have such true friends.
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 05:03 AM

Thats great to hear....
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 05:08 AM

great job fellas
Posted By: dvw

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 05:40 AM

I'll make sure to look it up.
Doug
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 05:55 AM

I was hoping Randys car would be finished. It was so close, before he did it himself. The engine was together, the paint was done etc. I recall he wanted some trim pieces too as he was a perfectionist

After the showing Debut, at some point, I hope it gets to see track time as Randy was hoping to break into the 10.s with the new combo. As built, it is capable, Id like that goal to be accomplished as well. I know Randys watching and hoping to see it too.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 06:46 AM

I' going tomorrow...I'll try to get some good shots...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 06:58 AM

Its really good to see that they finished it off...
congrats to the guys ... I wont be back in town
in time to go see it
Posted By: 383man

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 09:05 AM

That is so cool they did that. Ron
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 11:26 AM

Mike and Jerry did a great job getting it back together. Randy, Mike, and Jerry go all the way back to high school. They really kicked some serious butt getting it done. My wife will be hanging out with Mike and Randy's wives at Autorama Saturday. I will make sure she gets some good pictures.

Randy
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 02:38 PM

Awesome effort guys.

Great tribute to a great guy

Ron
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 03:27 PM

Very glad to hear it, that's a great thing they did!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 04:08 PM

That's really cool. I was wondering what was going to happen w/ Randy's car when he passed away and am really happy that his friends took care of getting it back together.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 04:21 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 05:13 PM

Way cool and I hope I have the same respect when my rides over.........
Posted By: BradH

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 05:36 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean... starting to think I may need to fake my own death just to pull together some of my gearhead buddies to pitch in and finish putting The MoPig back together in this lifetime.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/07/14 05:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I know what you mean... starting to think I may need to fake my own death just to pull together some of my gearhead buddies to pitch in and finish putting The MoPig back together in this lifetime.

Have you ask for their help? My last two projects would have never been compled in a timely manner if it weren't for the help of good friends. I hope to be able to return the favor for them. All they have to do is tell me when to show up. That's one of the great things about this hobby. It is meant to be shared with friends. JMO Jim
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 02:59 AM

God Bless Jerry and Mike for getting Randy's car finished, he would be so proud Thats just the type of friendship that Randy gave to everyone he encountered
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 05:20 AM

AWESOME.
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 05:35 AM

Says content is unavailable, any way to show it w/o facebook?

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 06:04 AM

Well the car is nice enough but the presentation sucks !! Big sign in front of the car obscuring a decent front or 3/4 shot. I suppose that's unimportant to the general viewing public but it ruined any chance of a decent pic. Interior looks like a pigpen with all their jackets and junk just tossed in there. Truck left open and full of crap too. C'mon guys, make it presentable !!! Took two shots and decided it was pointless to try taking any more.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 06:11 AM

Quote:

Well the car is nice enough but the presentation sucks !! Big sign in front of the car obscuring a decent front or 3/4 shot. I suppose that's unimportant to the general viewing public but it ruined any chance of a decent pic. Interior looks like a pigpen with all their jackets and junk just tossed in there. Truck left open and full of crap too. C'mon guys, make it presentable !!! Took two shots and decided it was pointless to try taking any more.

???? This was a car Randy was working on that is a street and a race car and was not meant to be a "show poodle". I think it was awesome that his friends finished what he started and showed it as is

Russ

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 11:41 AM

Quote:

Cut them some slack! This car was in pieces less than a month ago. The engine was in my garage, the car was at Mikes house, some of the parts were in Randys basement and others at a storage garage and house Randy rented for storage.All of the chrome needed polishing, trim pieces repaintedand installed, wiring repaired, etc., etc....These guys worked every day on this thing to try to get it there. Mike even did most all of this on his own dime too! All in a friends memory.

Randy
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 02:11 PM

A Very cool and fitting tribute!

Our beloved and long time friend Randy would be very proud!
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 02:18 PM

I agree, Tyson I helped on his 73 Challenger (turned it into a 73 R/T SE) and he helped me on my 67 BCuda hemi vert. His Challenger laid in my garage for 4 years while mine sat outside, worked on it nearly every weekend. Nothing like friends... Congrats to Lab's friends, thank you.

-Daty

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 03:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe you could have said you were from Moparts and asked if they could move the sign temporarily so you could get some pics to share with all his buddies on the board

I believe the facebook link is set to private and you have to be a friend of Randy's to view it

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 04:58 PM

Quote:

Maybe you could have said you were from Moparts and asked if they could move the sign temporarily so you could get some pics to share with all his buddies on the board

Nobody was around the car except guys from the car(s) next to it.

Don't get me wrong, I know it isn't a show car and there was nothing wrong with the car. My point is that the thing was brought to show and then loaded with crap. All the junk could have gone underneath, behind or whatever. Even thrown in the trunk and the trunk closed!

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 06:48 PM

Attached picture 8066328-Detroit'14047.jpg

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 06:49 PM

Attached picture 8066331-Detroit'14048.jpg

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 06:55 PM

I just received a text from my wife. One of our local news stations, Channel 7, is planning to have a story on the car at 6:00!

Randy
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 08:18 PM

Way to go guys! You did Randy proud!!
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 11:01 PM

It looks great ....Stanton...I dont think they entered the car with the thought of winning the show, just doing the best the could with what they had

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/08/14 11:09 PM

Stanton thank you for taking the time and posting those up!
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 12:14 AM

Very cool..Way happy to see this
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 12:33 AM

Glad to see it finished as Randy would have wanted it. Kudo's to his Friends for finishing the car for Him

Will be watching channel 7 @ 6

Gary
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 12:42 AM

A huge applause for the gentlemen that finished the car and showcased it for Randy and his family and yes I think Randy would be extremely proud and elated. It is sad that Randy could not actually be there to be a part of the journey but I'm sure that his family members are astonished of what the friends have accomplished. Congratulations to all those involved for completing a friends dream.
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 01:22 AM

Quote:

A huge applause for the gentlemen that finished the car and showcased it for Randy and his family and yes I think Randy would be extremely proud and elated. It is sad that Randy could not actually be there to be a part of the journey but I'm sure that his family members are astonished of what the friends have accomplished. Congratulations to all those involved for completing a friends dream.

Could not have said it any better. to real friends.
Posted By: 67RT_MUSCLE

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 01:29 AM

Quote:

Way to go guys! You did Randy proud!!

Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Could not have said it any better. to real friends.

X 2 Well said. And well done to the friends and family that made this happen.

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 01:53 AM

Quote:

Stanton thank you for taking the time and posting those up!

Also my hats off to Jerry Brogdon and Mike Driest for thier efforts in getting the car done.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 04:59 AM

that's over the top awesome......

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 05:28 AM

I'm trying to see if it made it onto the news at 6...
I helped out Randy with the car while he was with us...
but I didnt even know the guys were working on it..
congrats again to them and getting it down to and in
the show... that in its self can be a PITA
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 06:10 AM

My brother, 2 sons & I stopped by to see the GTX. It looked great to me!

Randy's friends did a great job and since I'm more into go than show, that car is a GREAT example of what I'd want to build, drive and own. There's more to the Autorama than stricly showcars.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 12:12 PM

Quote:

There's more to the Autorama than stricly showcars.

Got that right! my BCuda is a driver but still did well in ISCA(I don't think they knew Mopars like Camaros and Stangs) probably have 200 trophies now, don't even enter now, thing is I enjoy my vert where those probably went into the garage or trailer. Lab's GTX looks great! Stunning tribute!

-Daty
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 01:16 PM

Fantastic job guys! Randy would be proud!
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 03:06 PM

It looks good.
Posted By: headhunter

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 04:15 PM

that is an awesome tribute to a very good friend the car looks great i can only imagine what all the work and effort put into getting it done and there means to the family i only hope i have a few good friends that would do something like that in memory of me and to help my family

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/09/14 05:03 PM

Quote:

There's more to the Autorama than strictly showcars.

There was more ingenuity in the basement than there was on the main floor !!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/10/14 01:12 AM

Car looks great, awesome job guys!
Was it on the news? What network is channel 7?
I have time Warner Cable in Ohio, channel 7 is a foreign type channel.

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/10/14 02:03 AM

Quote:

Car looks great, awesome job guys!
Was it on the news? What network is channel 7?
I have time Warner Cable in Ohio, channel 7 is a foreign type channel.

The wife was looking for something on their web site
and got nothing... looks like it didnt make it
Posted By: dvw

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/10/14 02:30 AM

I liked the car. Way better stance that a few zoomier B-Bodys that were there. The tires fit, the engine looked good. Overall nice job.
Doug
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/10/14 03:45 AM

Very nice in every way.
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/10/14 09:15 AM

I went there Sunday afternoon and the car looks GREAT!! The paint, trim, and overall car was very Nice and I am sure Randy would have been Excited to see it done like it is.
The sign in front of the car said they will make a few passes to try and accomplish Randy's Goal of a 10 second pass when the weather permits.

Then The Car Will Be Sold.

The sad part for me is seeing them sell his pride and joy. I can't believe they don't have a family member or a Good friend that would want it to carry on Randy's dream. Maybe Randy OK'd them to sell it, I don't know. Anyways the guys that put it together did a GREAT JOB and Thanks for displaying it for us to see.
David
Posted By: Frito

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/10/14 11:49 AM

I hadn't read this post before I went but when I saw the car I knew whose it was. I was very moved and would like to thank all the people who worked so hard and thought so much of Labrat to get this done. Another great deed by the Moparts family.
Posted By: TUFCAT

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/25/14 10:57 PM

Hi Guys,

I just found this thread. I hope its okay to share this and I'm not giving away a secret, but its such a cool story I had to share!

I talked to Mike Driest at Autorama Saturday and he told me how Richard Petty and Kyle Petty came by to look at the GTX Friday night. Mike mentioned all the great stories about Randy and his love of Mopars and how they've been friends since their high school days. The crazy racing stories obviously lead into stories about how great of a guy Randy was, and his unfortunate passing.

The Petty's were very interested in Randy's story, and when Mike said he and his friends all came together to complete the car in his garage as one of Randy's last wishes, the Petty's said "That's really nice of you to finish the car for your buddy" - or something cool like that.

As a tribute, Both Richard and Kyle Petty autographed the display board next to Randy's GTX!

Courtney Hanson from Overhaulin also autographed the official Autorama entrant sheet placed near the windshield.

That's not all, and I'm hoping this isn't spilling the beans like I said, but Mopar Collector's Guide talked to Mike about doing a future story as a lasting tribute to Randy.

This is all very well deserved. Congratulations to Mike and Rick Driest and all the other guys who helped bring this car back to life for the Autorama. If I knew all of your names, I would certainly mention you here...

Tom

Thanks!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/25/14 11:09 PM

Very cool!

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/25/14 11:17 PM

VERY COOL... thanks for sharing that info... was cool
of the guys and gal to sign the stuff...
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/25/14 11:54 PM

Randy always had a helpful and kind remark whenever I read his post or talked with him.
That is just great his close friends jumped in to finish his car
" nice job by the way ". He was a really nice guy that deserves all the ink and good words he gets. Miss ya Randy.

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/26/14 12:22 AM

That is FANTASTIC!

Thanks for sharing
Posted By: 383man

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/26/14 12:25 AM

Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing the story. Ron

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/26/14 12:51 AM

Thats Great! Randy would be Proud. My respects to all his friends that helped make that event possible.

Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/26/14 11:46 PM

Just looked through my pics of Autorama and noticed after this post that the Petty's signatures were on it.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Labrat GTX DEBUT! - 03/28/14 12:27 AM

cool story! I see nothing wrong with how it was shown. The story behind the car is what makes up for anything extra being in or around the car!
© 2024 Moparts Forums