Moparts

Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's

Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/06/14 05:51 PM

Are any of you guys still running any vintage Ed Hamburger parts that he sold during the 1970's and 1980's for the 340/360??

Any pics of his old oil pans for the small block Mopar? What made them special?
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/06/14 06:51 PM

I believe he was the first Mopar source to sell trick/custom parts in volume to Mopar racers. I use to buy quite a bit from him back then. I don't have any pics, but do have a couple of his old catalogs. That's where I first learned about crank scrapers, modified windage trays and more.

Moparts member "Topside" has an ex-Hamburger team car (Super Stock Duster, I believe) and likely a lot more info on the cars & parts.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/06/14 06:54 PM

One reason I started building my own parts was because the parts I bought from Hamburger were such poor quality. I looked at those parts and the price I paid for them and decided I could do better. That was a long time ago but it is one of the things that started me down the path of designing and building my own stuff.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/06/14 10:32 PM

I still have a set of Hamburger's "stocker" leaf springs,and a few other items.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/06/14 11:35 PM

Got a hamburger deep sump pan...needs a little repair ..have had it since 80s...

got a few small parts with his part numbers still on them...harden washers...5/64 4.07 ring set..probably reboxed sealed power rings..

and .984 tool steel 80 gram wrist pins..after buying them in the 80s finally put them in a engine last year...
Posted By: BradH

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/06/14 11:45 PM

Quote:

One reason I started building my own parts was because the parts I bought from Hamburger were such poor quality.

Sounds like the same reason I switched to assembling my own engines after paying "professionals" to do the work and still experiencing issues that IMO could have been avoided.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/06/14 11:49 PM

I have one of the adjustable timing gears for an A engine. I was always scared to put it on though.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/07/14 07:03 PM

A bunch of us got the distributor stablizer (the collar with set screw to prevent the oil pump drive bouncing up and down changing timing conditions. Still have it, and lost count the number of motors it's been in.

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/07/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

A bunch of us got the distributor stablizer (the collar with set screw to prevent the oil pump drive bouncing up and down changing timing conditions. Still have it, and lost count the number of motors it's been in.

Do you think it helped?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/07/14 07:32 PM

Quote:

One reason I started building my own parts was because the parts I bought from Hamburger were such poor quality. I looked at those parts and the price I paid for them and decided I could do better. That was a long time ago but it is one of the things that started me down the path of designing and building my own stuff.

We still have some of their overpriced stuff in the attic.Some of their oil pan designs are good for lawn sprinklers and some of their internal parts are great for comming apart and causing engine failres.
Posted By: DusterW2

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/07/14 07:46 PM

I bought the street/strip oil pan for a 340. The pan fit well and did not hang down very far past the K-member. I think it was a 6 qt and had accel/decel baffles. I have a pic somewhere. If you want, I can post later tonight. Also, bought tool steel lightweight wrist pins. Tried to order parts after they moved to Wirtz, VA, but did not have much luck. I think whoever he sold the business to kept the name, but the service and tech dept was lousy. Still have an old performance catalog from the '80s.

John
Posted By: topside

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/08/14 12:42 AM

Ironically not much of his stuff is still on my/his car; what's there is mostly "extra-legal" fab tricks. The car with the most cleverness (and success) is the old Hamburger, Bachelder & Chipman car. Herb McCandless did a lot of work on some of the cars - HBC & Ed's/mine for sure.
Judging by my archive of the team cars and team members, Ed's strength was in thinking up ways to step up the SB. I can't say much about the 340/360 Only parts, as so few are around. Much if not all of that stuff was 1st run on my car or the other team cars. After he sold the Hamburger company, the guys that bought it were apparently pretty bad at quality & service from what I've heard.
Posted By: 500ciDuster

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/08/14 02:49 AM

I bought his stuff years ago, thought that sb windage tray with the extra louvers was a good idea

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/09/14 03:50 AM

Quote:

I bought the street/strip oil pan for a 340. The pan fit well and did not hang down very far past the K-member. I think it was a 6 qt and had accel/decel baffles. I have a pic somewhere. If you want, I can post later tonight. Also, bought tool steel lightweight wrist pins. Tried to order parts after they moved to Wirtz, VA, but did not have much luck. I think whoever he sold the business to kept the name, but the service and tech dept was lousy. Still have an old performance catalog from the '80s.

John

If you can post up a pic of the street/strip oil pan, that would be great!
Posted By: slax69gts

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/09/14 03:06 PM

a year ago at a swap meet in milwaukee i bought a welded sheet aluminium oil pan for my 470. the seller said it was a ed hamburger unit but there were no markings or tags. i did a web search but the closest pan i found was one that 440 source had that was kind of like it. seems he did alot of cheby stuff. i cleaned it up and had the external pick up hole welded up then knocked in two holes for a swinging pick up. i may use it, maybe not...
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/09/14 03:24 PM

here's a rb pan

Attached picture 8067427-forsale015.JPG

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/09/14 03:41 PM

Not knocking anyones product but simply recalling old issues that we seen with some of their parts ie:
Distributer shaft stabalizers that fell apart and cause major internal engine damage.

Oil pans that leaked like lawn sprinklers at seams and welds.

Crank scrapers and windage trays that cracked and caused internal damage as well as crank and rod interference..

Pan rails and bolt holes alignment and placement.

Posted By: DusterW2

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/09/14 07:36 PM

340 Ed Hamburger oil pan from 1989 -

Attached picture 8067681-Ed_Hamburger_SB_oilpan340.jpg
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/10/14 11:31 PM

Quote:

Not knocking anyones product but simply recalling old issues that we seen with some of their parts ie:
Distributer shaft stabalizers that fell apart and cause major internal engine damage.

Crank scrapers and windage trays that cracked and caused internal damage as well as crank and rod interference..

Had one of his aluminum 340 pans, with the tube for the center link. Had a pickup and plate that bolted directly onto the oil pump, after removing the rotor cover. First fire up on a new motor, the rotors bound up against the pickup plate,locking the oil pump and shearing the pin in the distributor drive. Needless to say that pan and pickup came right out.

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/11/14 05:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reality check...lol. Did they make any good parts??

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/11/14 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reality check...lol. Did they make any good parts??

They had a lot of good ideas and intentions and marketing stragity but execution of the final products and uses were weak.
The oil pump plate/rotor kits and pickups as well as other oil system mods created more problems than answers.Like many others they outsourced their mfg and put their name on it with out much quality control.Like a lot of successfull racers and engine builders even today use their name to promote,sale and profit on product marketing.
Posted By: cb1289

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/11/14 04:11 PM

A stable of fast cars and an incredible line of BS was his formula for success.

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 03/11/14 04:31 PM

Quote:

A stable of fast cars and an incredible line of BS was his formula for success.

It's Efective Name Reconigition Marketing Strategy ,marketing economics Class 101.
Do something notable,affix you name to it and sale it.
Posted By: oldfish

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/24/19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by DusterW2

Hey DusterW2,

Been searching for info on these old pans and cam across your post. I have that oil pan on a 69 340 that was in my Cuda when I purchased it. The dip stick was hand scored for the oil level. When changing the oil, it takes over 8 quarts to get to the dip stick marks. Do you know what capacity or what was run in the engine in the photos? The pans I see on the market now are 7qt. I'm concerned about too much oil and causing windage.

Thanks,
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/24/19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldfish
Originally Posted by DusterW2

Hey DusterW2,

Been searching for info on these old pans and cam across your post. I have that oil pan on a 69 340 that was in my Cuda when I purchased it. The dip stick was hand scored for the oil level. When changing the oil, it takes over 8 quarts to get to the dip stick marks. Do you know what capacity or what was run in the engine in the photos? The pans I see on the market now are 7qt. I'm concerned about too much oil and causing windage.

Thanks,

Easy enough to check on the bench with some water and an empty quart bottle or measuring cup.

Hamburger was pretty much the go to place for small block stuff back in the day. The quality of the stuff was hit or miss and the guys in Virginia later on were ridiculous. There are still a few companies around operating today that he started, but I expect he's retired on a beach somewhere.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/24/19 05:23 PM

Bought a ton of small block stuff from Ed way back in the early 70s.
Great guy.
I remember sitting at his kitchen table while he wrote out the invoice. Damn, I'm old.
Buying his parts got me in the high 11s way back in 1973 to 1977.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/24/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

Do you make a crank scraper for a small block?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/25/19 02:39 PM

Most of us geezers have at one time or another smoke

Attached picture 2011-12-13_00036.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/25/19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis
iagree I got one also, only one grin
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/25/19 05:24 PM

My Ford buddy owned the speed shop that sponsored me back in the 1970’s and I loved the intake gasket sealer Ed sold. My buddy ordered it and when it came he peeled the sticker off the can. It was relabeled Ford intake sealer. Lol. Man he never let me forget that.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/26/19 09:34 PM

I still have one of the adjustable cam sprockets if anyone is interested, PM me.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/27/19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
My Ford buddy owned the speed shop that sponsored me back in the 1970’s and I loved the intake gasket sealer Ed sold. My buddy ordered it and when it came he peeled the sticker off the can. It was relabeled Ford intake sealer. Lol. Man he never let me forget that.

And dont forget that he pretty much took the whole Direct Connection line and placed it in his catalog replacing the DC part numbers with his part numbers.

You ordered “his” cam and got a DC cam in the box.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/29/19 02:40 AM

panic

Attached picture 8067427-forsale015.JPG
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/29/19 02:27 PM

Still have this pan on my motor
Ken

Attached picture IMG_1616.JPG
Posted By: geo.

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/30/19 03:15 AM

In the late '70s there were few places to go for Mopar advice and parts, Eds filled a need for a long time.
I went by his play-book and cam recommendation, and my 340 screamed! Though the cam was probably a little too big.
He was also quoted in the few magazine articles on LA hop-ups.
After he got into the oil pan biz and hopping up gm cars the Mopar side suffered.
Not sure when he sold out, but it wasn't the same after he left.
Still like his 340s and 360s logo, very cool!
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/30/19 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis

gEeZeRs ? ..,, speak furr yerrself OLD GUY ! .....

Anyone remember the company A&W Performance?
Posted By: dodgefarmer

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/30/19 02:55 PM

Back in the day (mid 70's) I had a pair of his stocker springs on a 69 Swinger that worked very well. I've always wondered who made them. Anybody know?

Thanks
Randy
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Ed Hamburger Vintage Parts from the 1970's & 1980's - 04/30/19 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by dodgefarmer
Back in the day (mid 70's) I had a pair of his stocker springs on a 69 Swinger that worked very well. I've always wondered who made them. Anybody know?

Thanks
Randy

Direct Connection.
He just changed the bottom leaf to get rid of the part number.
© 2024 Moparts Forums