Moparts

Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor.

Posted By: dusterjp

Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 04:03 AM

Not sure which intake is best for me. I have gone back and forth and can't decide If I should use an RPM Air Gap (ported) or a Super Victor. Here is my combo. 70 Plymouth Duster 418 CI small block. Mild ported Edelbrock heads. 10.9 to 1 compression. Solid flat tappet Comp Cam - @ .050 intake 254 exhaust 262 - lobe separation 108 installed @ 106.5 - lift intake .540 exhaust .555. Pro Systems Carb 837 cfm. 4 sod. - 3.91 gear. This car is always street driven. All opinions welcome and appreciated.

Does anyone know if the Air Gap responds well to porting?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

Not sure which intake is best for me. I have gone back and forth and can't decide If I should use an RPM Air Gap (ported) or a Super Victor. Here is my combo. 70 Plymouth Duster 418 CI small block. Mild ported Edelbrock heads. 10.9 to 1 compression. Solid flat tappet Comp Cam - @ .050 intake 254 exhaust 262 - lobe separation 108 installed @ 106.5 - lift intake .540 exhaust .555. Pro Systems Carb 837 cfm. 4 sod. - 3.91 gear. This car is always street driven. All opinions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Street driven and 3.91 gear = air gap - or maybe 340 Victor Jr.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 04:11 AM

Your combo would love a ported Victor intake.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 04:24 AM

I don't think you need an air gap, never ran a super victor but do have a victor 340 on my 408. My cam is 260/264, .526/.533, 10.9-1 compression with ported edelbrocks and 4.10 gears. It pulls from anywhere in the rpm range and yours should too. I'd go with a single plane, victor 340 or a weiand x-cellerator.
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 06:08 AM

The air-gap will perform a lot better than most think on that combo. You will have more low to mid range and a slight loss up top, but not enough to justify changing it.
I feel that a super victor is probably too big for your combo.
A standard victor or an m1 would be my 1st choice. But the rpm will be a good intake. Many will argue, but they haven't tried it to know that it works better than expected.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 02:43 PM

I have run both the Airgap and the Victor on my stroker. Both ran very well. For a street car I would use the Airgap, the response was a little crisper, and it had a little more torque (which is what a street car needs). The Victor also worked great (this is curretly what is on my car). It made a little more top end horse power (about 1.5 MPH faster in the 1/8 mile). The Super Victor is probably too big for what you have.

For what its worth, my stroker has gone 10.89 @ 122 MPH with the Airgap, so I don't think it will be holding you back much, if any.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 04:02 PM

I have tried 4 different manifolds on my hot 340. I started years ago with a single plane wieiand. Then tried the dual plane and was not happy with it, it didn't pull up top like I was used to. Then I tried a dual plane RPM manifold and it still didn't have the power that single plane had. So then I tried a M-1 manifold and it was beeter than the dual plane but not as good as a the original weiand single plane. Then I got a Victor JR 340 and it is almost the manifold that the original weiand was.

So I think the victor JR 340 is the best for a stroker sb.

Why would you need a dual plane for tork on the street when your running a stroker sb that's supposed to have more torq than my stock stroke 340?
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 05:08 PM

With the 4 speed, I'd definately put the Air Gap on it. If it was an auto with a loose converter I'd say Victor 340, but the stick will lug the RPM down far enough that the Air Gap will feel "stronger" down low.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/04/14 05:24 PM

Airgap for a street car... you want the torque

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/05/14 12:53 AM

Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/05/14 01:04 AM

Air Gap. I've had both.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/05/14 01:08 AM

Quote:

Here's some reading on some tests I did.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=7118476
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/05/14 04:32 AM

Street car AIRGAP

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/08/14 03:06 AM

Looks like it's the Air Gap. Thanks everyone!
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/08/14 04:22 AM

I run the M-1 Single plane on my 408. Don't know if it's as good, worse, or better then any mentioned above. 10.80@123. Watching with interest on this post.

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/08/14 04:37 AM

Quote:

I run the M-1 Single plane on my 408. Don't know if it's as good, worse, or better then any mentioned above. [Email]10.80@123.[/Email] Watching with interest on this post.

I'm running a Indy single plane on my 416(W-2 engine)
but I'm running a 5000 stall conv on the street..
I havent had much testing yet but the manifold sure
isnt a problem... thats with a 4.10 gear and a 850dp
holley

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/08/14 05:39 AM

Quote:

I'm going to say it'll have gobs of torque either way. My 408 with the Victor and 4.10 gears pull from anywhere. Heck when it 275s on it if I floored it at 1500 rpms in high gear it would break the tires lose. The only way I'd run a dual plane on a 4" engine would be a truck motor.

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/08/14 06:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to say it'll have gobs of torque either way. My 408 with the Victor and 4.10 gears pull from anywhere. Heck when it 275s on it if I floored it at 1500 rpms in high gear it would break the tires lose. The only way I'd run a dual plane on a 4" engine would be a truck motor.

It will pull down to a much lower RPM... this is a
street car so its well below the torque curve

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/08/14 10:50 PM

Mine is a street car too, it makes it to the strip a few times a year though.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/09/14 04:51 AM

My air gap with 0 work done to it went 10's and was nice on the street.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/10/14 04:27 PM

When I dyno'd my 430 all 3 intakes I used were within 5 ft/ lbs of one another - They just moved up and down the powerband

I'll try and find the sheets
I ran the air gap, victor, and a ported SV
All were gasket matched at the intake and carb flange.

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/10/14 04:43 PM

Ya, like to see that

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/10/14 05:43 PM

TEAL - Stock Eddy Head, Air Gap, 1 5/8" headers & small cam
PINK - SDSS Heads, Victor 340, 1 5/8" headers & small cam
WHITE - MCH Heads, Super Vitcor, 1 3/4 to 1 7/8" step headers, & big cam

interesting to see the graph - the torque really moves up and down the RPM range, but stays at the same level.

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/10/14 05:44 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=8

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/10/14 07:40 PM

Quote:

TEAL - Stock Eddy Head, Air Gap, 1 5/8" headers & small cam
PINK - SDSS Heads, Victor 340, 1 5/8" headers & small cam
WHITE - MCH Heads, Super Vitcor, 1 3/4 to 1 7/8" step headers, & big cam

interesting to see the graph - the torque really moves up and down the RPM range, but stays at the same level.

Awesome info!! Thanks. Just confirms why dual planes are the way to go for the street - and much more forgiving if you have other mismatched parts. Race only = single plane, but you better have the rest of your shat together ( cam, gear, carb, etc. ) or you will suck hind tit.
Posted By: mokid

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/10/14 11:26 PM

I know back in the day the Mopar Race Book recommened the LD340 with the center plane removed for racing, I used the air gap on my stroker 410 motor, worked well.

Re: Which Intake RPM Air Gap Or Super Victor. - 03/10/14 11:35 PM

Quote:

I know back in the day the Mopar Race Book recommened the LD340 with the center plane removed for racing, I used the air gap on my stroker 410 motor, worked well.

Common mod back in the day, sometimes cutting the center divider half down or notching it. Trying to get the best of both worlds.
© 2024 Moparts Forums