Moparts

Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits

Posted By: aspenrt360

Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 05:27 PM

Hey guy's i have never had one before but I want to get a fairly basic wideband o2 sensor set up I don't want to use a laptop I am more interested in a setup I can just mount in the car and monitor while driving. what are the better let's call them economical kits out there? Thanks

Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 05:41 PM

Just my opinion ...but to be really useful you need to be able to data log rpm with A/F. I have one in my car and if I just watch the gauge... its all over the place...it can help...but you really need to be able to data log to get a lot of useful info out of it.

That being said...I like my LM1

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 05:47 PM

thanks for the info I am just looking to get my feet wet with this. I have been happy with my tuning over the years but I know I am leaving a lot on the table so for now I want to start small.

Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 06:13 PM

You will get a few different ideas with the mountable gauge. They are usually in the $170-$210 range. I run the FAST #170634 kit.

Attached picture 8044311-170634.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 06:16 PM

Quote:

Just my opinion ...but to be really useful you need to be able to data log rpm with A/F. I have one in my car and if I just watch the gauge... its all over the place...it can help...but you really need to be able to data log to get a lot of useful info out of it.

That being said...I like my LM1

I run the same deal and although I don`t download and play back, it`s still a valuable tuning aid especially street driving.
Posted By: Joes66dart

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 06:30 PM

I run the PLX with the multi gauge. I believe the webpage is www.plxdevices.com
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 06:56 PM

This one will be on my car. You can datalog afr's with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeitronix-Zt-3-Z...c58&vxp=mtr
Posted By: cj391

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 07:14 PM

Aem in mine. Works alright, 180 dollars iirc
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 07:29 PM

It's not cheap, mainly because it's an "all-in-one" - playback tach, pressure and A/F, but I recently ordered the Autometer 6894 DL tach and related stuff and can't wait to put it to good use. Their regular playback tach was one of the most useful "tools" I ever got. But having this all-in-one deal should help tuning quite a bit. Just have to read the instructions & learn how it make it all work.

Autometer DL 6894 tach @ Summit

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 10:14 PM

hmm lots of different gear! I am looking at aem and innovative so far.

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/18/14 11:08 PM

Those are the more "simple" units like you want..........
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 12:58 AM

Quote:

hmm lots of different gear! I am looking at aem and innovative so far.

Me too!

Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 02:59 AM

I run a Innovate LC-1 kit in my car, and my brother runs an AEM kit. Both work good.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 03:15 AM

Quote:

I run a Innovate LC-1 kit in my car, and my brother runs an AEM kit. Both work good.

I use the LC1 to run the closed loop on my EFI.

It can also run a gauge plus you can hook it to a lap top and data log too. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

Kevin
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 03:33 AM

Daytona Sensors WEGO IV, best there is. Innovate is a crap shoot. Lot's of bad reviews out there, google both, you'll see.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/WEGO4.html

I had a Dynojet wideband, it was OK, not real accurate.

With any 02 sensor, any exhaust leaks will make it read lean so seal your exhaust prior to the sensor location.

Also, I prefer to read a numerical print out, Daytona Sensors allows that option...Graphs sucks.

RPMs is a must, and really cool to see where your shift points are, Throttle postion not so much.

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 03:52 AM

Maybe I got a good one OR actually hooked it up properly.......... If a guy breaks a certain part THAT part sucks and usually it`s installer error but not always. My innovate gauge reads about the same as my plugs so I`m cool w/that then off to a track.......

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 04:01 AM

I verify my WB on the dyno.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

It's not cheap, mainly because it's an "all-in-one" - playback tach, pressure and A/F, but I recently ordered the Autometer 6894 DL tach and related stuff and can't wait to put it to good use. Their regular playback tach was one of the most useful "tools" I ever got. But having this all-in-one deal should help tuning quite a bit. Just have to read the instructions & learn how it make it all work.

Autometer DL 6894 tach @ Summit

Wow cool tach! Didn't know they made that.

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 04:15 AM

Quote:

I verify my WB on the dyno.

Get`s ya close but the track get`s ya there............dyno can`t simulate air forced into the carb like the street/track can.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 05:57 AM

I watched flebay for a while and got my LM1 box cheap (like $10). Then got the sensor and cables new from innovate.

Then watched ebay again, and got the logging add-on thing pretty cheap.

Then to make it really useful, I built my own manifold vacuum gauge and ran that into the logging port. Now it logs AFR/RPM/Manifold vacuum, so you can actually see how the AFR changes with changes in throttle position.

Then I converted to electronic ignition and fixed all of the driveability issues I thought were fuel related
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 06:01 AM

Quote:

I watched flebay for a while and got my LM1 box cheap (like $10). Then got the sensor and cables new from innovate.

Then watched ebay again, and got the logging add-on thing pretty cheap.

Then to make it really useful, I built my own manifold vacuum gauge and ran that into the logging port. Now it logs AFR/RPM/Manifold vacuum, so you can actually see how the AFR changes with changes in throttle position.

Then I converted to electronic ignition and fixed all of the driveability issues I thought were fuel related

Yes. Yes you did.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 07:42 AM

How are you guys logging your RPM?
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/19/14 08:08 AM

Quote:

I run LC-1's in each bank in closed loop, no problems for 5+ years.
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/20/14 06:11 AM

I love my Innovate LM2. I've heard lots of people have problems with them but I have mine for quite a while and never an issue. I log RPM an AFR, and soon will probably be logging IAT and ECT. With any one you choose be sure to free air calibrate it regularly. Any sensor is only as good as it's calibration. Reading plugs is great for a base line but if I would have relied soley on plugs my cast pistons would have been all over the road by now. I'll get flamed for saying this but some of the old heads need to learn to trust alittle more technology now and then. If you watch ebay close you can pick one up in the $250 range. I bought mine for $230 on sale
Posted By: BradD

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/20/14 07:57 AM

The NGK Powerdex AFX with the NTK O2 sensor is supposed to be very accurate. The big digital readout is easy to read also.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/afx.asp?mode=nml

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/21/14 04:40 AM

thanks for all the info guy's not looking to get too crazy right off the bat I will pick one up and tinker with it a bit and see how I like it. it seems like a really good tool for tuning and after all these years I want to see how my tuning holds up to some real stats!
Posted By: redmist

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/21/14 06:50 AM

I am running the AEM Unit (4200??) In my Megasquirt setup. so far so good!
Posted By: herkamer

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/21/14 07:57 AM

+1 for the LC-1. Works great with my Megasquirt. Only have done one free-air calibration in 5+ years, just to double check that it was accurate. So far it's dead on.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/22/14 12:46 AM

I just scored a lightly used LM-2 for $150.

There is also a local (MI) guy that has a new NTK/NGK kit listed for $125.

The NGK sensor is better, but the Bosch sensor is way cheaper when it fails and needs replacing.

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/22/14 08:38 AM

Quote:

+1 for the LC-1. Works great with my Megasquirt. Only have done one free-air calibration in 5+ years, just to double check that it was accurate. So far it's dead on.

I havn`t calibrated mine in a couple years but maybe it`s time although I figured w/a 3 1/2 side exit that was "airy" enuff............ Mine`s older and even has a countdown warm up deal.
Posted By: Mopar Guy

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/24/14 07:48 PM

Realy great topic Im going for a full sweep LC-1

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/24/14 08:29 PM

The tech. is there so why not use it plus until I knew which direction to go tune up wise, my car was slower and was hard keeping #8 NGK`s happy.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/24/14 11:17 PM

Quote:

Yes. Yes you did.

Quote:

How are you guys logging your RPM?

I found an LMA-2 RPM converter cheap on ebay. I also have my manifold vacuum sensor feeding into the LMA-2, which is/was very cool to watch in the logs.
Posted By: BBR

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/25/14 01:39 AM

I have an AEM. Works fine, but the background lighting goes wonky occasionally and then randomly changes to red, white, blue, green, whatever. Strange.

Whichever you purchase, I would suggest getting an analog gauge as opposed to a digital readout. They are much easier to glance at and see how the AFR may be trending.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/25/14 01:53 AM

Quote:

I have an AEM. Works fine, but the background lighting goes wonky occasionally and then randomly changes to red, white, blue, green, whatever. Strange.

Whichever you purchase, I would suggest getting an analog gauge as opposed to a digital readout. They are much easier to glance at and see how the AFR may be trending.

The gauge I have inside the car is a digital read out
along with yellow green and red lights for a quick
glance(I sure dont read the numbers while driving)
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/25/14 05:31 AM

I run the Zeitronix. Cool thing is you can add on to it and data log a bunch of stuff.

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/25/14 04:26 PM

My GoPro mounted on the roll bar behind my right shoulder records the AF, shift light and when I shift.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Need input on wideband o2 sensor kits - 02/25/14 04:39 PM

Quote:

My GoPro mounted on the roll bar behind my right shoulder records the AF, shift light and when I shift.

I put a camera in my car just to see a few things
inside the car during a run... like where do I look
when the front end is up... I thought I sorta watched
the wall and basically that is what I do
© 2024 Moparts Forums