Moparts

Roller Cam button install question

Posted By: 10secchallenger

Roller Cam button install question - 12/24/08 11:53 PM

i have a 440 and this is the first time i have installed a roller cam.i have a comp cams cam,timing chain set,button.the problem i have is i installed the cam button in the cam gear(the black bushing first) then the nylon button.once the button is in i can't get a hex bolt or a allen head bolt in the cam gear. its almost as if the button is too big in diameter.anyone else run into this?any advice is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 12:14 AM

If I understand you right the 3 cam bolts interfere with the cam button.If this is the case you can either turn down your allen socket bolt heads,notch the button or get some grade 8 12 point bolts(small heads)
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 01:07 AM

The 3/8 header bolts are great in this application with there reduced heads, even can be found with 3/8 wrench heads..They are usually a higher grade fastener also. Don'T forgot to add a little Blue locktite.
Posted By: 10secchallenger

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 01:13 AM

Quote:

The 3/8 header bolts are great in this application with there reduced heads, even can be found with 3/8 wrench heads..They are usually a higher grade fastener also. Don'T forgot to add a little Blue locktite.

hey thanks guys,yes this is a three bolt gear.i tried the header bolt also, but mine have 7/16 head on them and the little flange also hit the button. i guess i'll try to notch the button for the allen heads fit.you'd think that there would be some kind of info on this.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 02:50 AM

Don't forget to check end play once e=veything is in and tighten up, .003 to .010 should work okay usuaully. do you have the raer cam plug out still If not it makes reading the end play a little harder
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 03:18 AM

I provide an extra center section with my billet timing chain covers just for checking end play. With this cover you just bolt it all together and then slide a dial indicator into the slot and measure the end play directly.

As for the cam button issue, I've never found a cam button that works right off the shelf. I've tried them all and they all need a trip to the machine shop before they're correct.

Attached picture 4900115-cover.jpg
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 04:08 AM

Quote:

As for the cam button issue, I've never found a cam button that works right off the shelf. I've tried them all and they all need a trip to the machine shop before they're correct.

How about this one?
I bolted mine on the other day just for a quick test fitting & it seemed to work fine...

BTW Your Timing cover is a work of art...

Attached picture 4900202-ThrustBearing.gif
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 05:19 AM

Andy, the isky rollerized button fits fine w/out any machining; at least it did for me...........that`s why isky rules among many other reasons.

Attached picture 4900314-domtrack.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 05:55 AM

If you are usihg a stock timing cover you will have to ding it out to get some clearance more than likely...
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/25/08 07:15 PM

Andy, Give us the low down on that oil pump cover. I am sure you probably machined it. Everything you seem to post you have made, and it is always super nice. Beep

Attached picture 4901148-09-111(2).JPG
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/26/08 12:08 AM

Header bolts are a must and a cheep button (i use the crain gold) is EASY to fit.
I shoot for about .005 end play and use the stock cover that flex's slightly but it's never been a problem and it's cheep.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/26/08 12:41 AM

I use the Crane gold button, stock type chrome timing cover. There's a recessed hole in the back of my Mezeire water pump so I cut a piece of tubing that goes in that hole and butts up against the cover to keep it from flexing. Simple and cheap.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/26/08 02:13 AM

Quote:

Andy, Give us the low down on that oil pump cover. I am sure you probably machined it. Everything you seem to post you have made, and it is always super nice. Beep

Thanks. Yes I did make that oil pump cover. It is designed to go straight to #12 lines for a remote filter. Nobody else makes anything like that so I had to design my own.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Roller Cam button install question - 12/31/08 04:04 AM

Update:
My timing set arrived today, this style thrust bearing

won't work...My cam gear has recessed bolt holes so the flat plate that is part of the bearing interferes & won't allow the bolts to fit into the recessed areas...The fun nevers ends..
© 2024 Moparts Forums