Moparts

sealing header bolts for water leaks?

Posted By: Exit1965

sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 04:38 PM

So far we've tried dry.. then teflon tape. Also tried bars leaks and a pellet type of stop leak. Still leaks on at least 3 of the bolts.

We're using the same size bolts we used in the past with no leaks, only difference is that maybe the threads were cleaned out while having a valve job done.

So, if an engine is in-car, with water in it, what is the best sealant method for header bolts? We cannot use studs
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 04:45 PM

Quote:

So far we've tried dry.. then teflon tape. Also tried bars leaks and a pellet type of stop leak. Still leaks on at least 3 of the bolts.

We're using the same size bolts we used in the past with no leaks, only difference is that maybe the threads were cleaned out while having a valve job done.

So, if an engine is in-car, with water in it, what is the best sealant method for header bolts? We cannot use studs

Drain the water down... then use high temp silicone
and let it set up
EDIT
Also spray the bolt holes out with brake clean
Posted By: therocks

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 05:17 PM

When I ran all bolts I used silver anti sieze.It didnt leak.We run studs now.Only place I have a bolt is where the studs wont work.Rocky
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 07:11 PM

Studs and silicone.................
Posted By: GTSDave

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 07:28 PM

I use high temp red RTV. Like they said above, drain the water down first.

I usually goop a bit on the end, and along the threads, then let it squish out and wipe off the extra before it drys.

Works fine on two of my cars that use all bolts on the headers.

-Dave
Posted By: Stanton

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 07:48 PM

Plumbers run into this problem all the time and for years have been using pipe/thread sealant.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 08:17 PM

Permatex Hi-temp thread sealant on a stainless bolt...
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/15/14 10:59 PM

Pipe thread sealant with Teflon or Permatex Aviation sealant.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 01:41 AM

Masters metallic thread sealant.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 02:37 AM

Quote:

I like this the best. The one in the jar with the brush. No leaks ever.

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 03:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Which, the aviation sealant(brown stuff), or the pipe thread sealant with teflon?
Posted By: Sammy

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Which, the aviation sealant(brown stuff), or the pipe thread sealant with teflon?

The permatex pipe thread sealant with Teflon, the white paste. once it hardens,it won't leak.
Just let it set up over night.
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 04:03 AM

Quote:

Studs and silicone.................

Posted By: drew72

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The permatex pipe thread sealant with Teflon, the white paste. once it hardens,it won't leak.
Just let it set up over night.

"The Green Stuff" pipe dope works even better. It's high temp. Get it at the hardware store.

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 06:01 AM

Guys, the whole purpose of Teflon is "high temp"! They don't make no-slip frying pans with Teflon because it's slippery, they make it with Teflon because it can take the heat!
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 06:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I usually use the teflon on the intake bolts and the Permatex Aviation on the header bolts,but I have used both either way with great results.
Posted By: drew72

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 06:01 PM

Quote:

Guys, the whole purpose of Teflon is "high temp"! They don't make no-slip frying pans with Teflon because it's slippery, they make it with Teflon because it can take the heat!

You don't have a clue, do you. Of course teflon is used in frying pans because it's slippery. THATS WHAT IT DOES! I used to use white teflon on copper pipe threads, then sweat the fitting next to it. The teflon would sometimes melt and form a leak. When I switched to the "Green Stuff" I have never had a leak since. So I guess it works.
Posted By: dvw

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 09:36 PM

I use GM teflon sealer available at the Dealer. Since I started using it 10 years ago, I've never had another leak.
Doug

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You don't have a clue, do you. Of course teflon is used in frying pans because it's slippery. THATS WHAT IT DOES! I used to use white teflon on copper pipe threads, then sweat the fitting next to it. The teflon would sometimes melt and form a leak. When I switched to the "Green Stuff" I have never had a leak since. So I guess it works.

Actually, I have a VERY good clue. Teflon has a melting point of 621 degrees. So while it may have melted in your plumbing exercise, it will generally hold up on a frying pan and most certainly as a sealant on any engine.

Furthermore, just about every plastic has a low coefficient of friction and some even lower than teflon, UHMW being one of them. What they lack however, is the high continuous operating temperature and melting point of teflon. So the MAIN reason teflon is used in frying pans is because of its ability to stand up to heat. And as a matter of fact, teflon is VERY SELDOM used "because its slippery". The fact is, teflon is very soft and cannot withstand much force before deforming. When you want "slippery" you use a dense plastic, like UHMW.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 11:05 PM

Being that he tried the teflon already I really doubt
he will try it a gain

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 11:12 PM

Couldn't care less!

Re: sealing header bolts for water leaks? - 02/16/14 11:13 PM

Quote:

Being that he tried the teflon already I really doubt
he will try it a gain

I've tried tape, but not the liquid, so I'll give a liquid version a try..
© 2024 Moparts Forums