Moparts

Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511"

Posted By: Jeremiah

Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 05:04 AM

I see things are a little slow so I'll throw this question out there. I am getting close to selecting a cam for my street/strip 511 for my Charger. Let's assume the car will weigh 3650 with driver race ready...or less. Trans will be a 4-speed and the rear gear will be a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio.

Engine:

400 block, aluminum caps
4.25/2.220 crank
6.535 rods
Diamong pistons with 4130 .990 pins ~10.8:1 static CR

Edelbrock Victor Heads MW window CNC'd by Hughes

Here is a link to the flow sheet:

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/1headflowchartscomparisons.php#4658S3

1.7 ratio rocker arms

Indy tunnel ram with HVH super suckers 1050 Quickfuel annular 1050's.

TTI 2-1/8-2" stepped headers

3" exhaust with cross over and very, very low restriction mufflers

I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything.

I am open to recommendations for cam specs, springs, retainers, pushrods, etc.

I am also going to run a mechanical fuel pump if that makes a difference on the cam core. I was under the impression it does not.

Thank you for taking a look!
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 05:23 AM

No sense in asking us amatures..just go to the guys that make the cams !!!I use Bullet,, But there are others .Hughes and get you what you want !!.Give them your motor specs and have them custom grind a cam for your engine ,,rather than getting one off the shelf that everyone else has..JMO

Attached picture 8037594-Dad_Car(2).jpg

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 05:28 AM

I am totally going to get a custom ground cam I was just seeing what the board had to say. The more questions I ask the more I learn.

I am going to use Isky RedZone endurance lifters, PAC springs, tool steel retainers with 10 degree locks. At least that is the tentative plan. Being a medium-budget build I am trying to focus on good pistons, heads, valvetrain gear and the unduction package. Hoping to have about 9k into this deal.

Not sure if this makes a difference but I am also using a CVR electric water pump.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 05:37 AM

You can always ask Chase Knight from Crane cams. See how close they both come. Tim
Posted By: 383man

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 06:40 AM

I used Dwayne Porter to spec my solid flat tappet cam I use. He is very good as it seems everytime I saw a car with his cam in it the car ran great. I am very pleased with his cam. And I am a guy who always liked to pick my own cam but I figured I would go to a Pro on this eng. I have his phone # if you would decide to call him. Ron

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 06:46 AM

Thank you Ron I appreciate the info.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 06:52 AM

Quote:

I am totally going to get a custom ground cam I was just seeing what the board had to say. The more questions I ask the more I learn.

I am going to use Isky RedZone endurance lifters, PAC springs, tool steel retainers with 10 degree locks. At least that is the tentative plan. Being a medium-budget build I am trying to focus on good pistons, heads, valvetrain gear and the unduction package. Hoping to have about 9k into this deal.

Not sure if this makes a difference but I am also using a CVR electric water pump.

Since you`re wisely goin through Isky, talk to Rod and tell him I sent ya and see what he says............. What do want from this thing? Daily cruiser, dual purpose, where do the heads peak at,power brakes? What can you live with cos it matters...............
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 06:58 AM

I have a Comp HXL grind 264/264 @ 0.050, 112 LSA cam with 0.758"/0.758" lift using 1.7:1 rockers.

It is a pretty tame cam with good torque. I used it in my 500" stroked 400. I chose it thinking of using my 3,500 stall converter, and driving more on the street. I installed a spool and 5,000 stall converter, so I'm replacing the cam with a slightly larger one. PM me if your interested in it.

What rocker arms are you using?

I have 1.6:1 ratio T&D rockers with 0.725" intake offset, and I'm happy with them, but I think a 0.750" offset would help with pushod clearance.
I did have issues with breaking the center rocker stand on my set of Edelbrock MW Victor heads. I'm not sure if Edelbrock changed the design or heli-coil to fix the problem? I have an early set of the MW Victors, so I'm not sure if they changed them much. The heads as they came from Edelbrock were setup for valve springs with about 1.850" install height. I'm using PAC-1325 valve springs and Crower Ti +0.100" retainers, along with valve spring seats that fit the center of the springs and are about 0.060" thick. To get a 1.950" install spring height (about 275# on the seat), I still had to cut the cylinder valve seats a little bit. I have the engine apart to freshen it up and I tried to cut the valve seats a bit more. Found out that was bad as I broke into the roof of the intake port! I epoxyed it up and just using the 1.950" install height. If your really going to go crazy with over 0.750" lift and stiff springs with taller install heights, them start off by using longer valve, and mill the rocker stands off and use the Max Wedge style rocker shaft hold downs that are machined for the correct rocker arm geometry with the longer valves.

Attached picture 8037720-MWhead.jpg

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 07:26 AM

Thank you for the info. I have learned a ton from your trials with the Victor heads. I am hoping to stay around .750 lift to avoid modifying the rocker stands and definitely not wanting to replace the valves or mess with the valve job. That said if I have to work on those areas that is what we will have to do.

I am using the Hughes 1.7 ratio rocker arms. We shall see what they hold up to. When I bought them I was told they have a lifetime no hassle replacement warranty. If I have any signs of durability issues with them I'll move up to T&D's or Jesel stuff. There is a reason I am putting a screen in the valley of these blocks.

I'm doing my best to learn and understand the information from quite a few very helpful individuals and everyone on the board. Hopefully I am making the right choices in the parts department. If I could make 750 reliable pump gas horsepower I'd be happy. If I can make over 800 I'd be very satisfied. I'd sacrifice some power for reliability in a second. I have way too many irons in the fire to be constantly changing valve springs, etc.

Attached picture 8037742-0206141817a_320037.jpg
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 07:51 AM

As much as you and your short block can handle RPM wise, that engine should respond to damn near anything. I would say to go with a roller if you can afford it. Absolutely go custom grind. Any fill on that block?

What were you trying to make power-wise, 650-700?
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 04:17 PM

Short block and head flow numbers are close to my 517 low deck with the Max wedge Chapmans. Big induction and the 4 speed, I'm assuming since you went with a moderate 10.8:1 CR and rear gearing you want to keep this a dual purpose car and drive it some on the street?

What size and compound tire?

PM me if you want, we can compare notes but I've got a pretty good idea what works well...the question will be....can you hook it up?

I would shoot for a target HP and trap RPM and then try to build as much torque as you can throughout that powerband and take full advantage of the smaller RPM drops between gears. IMO, the target HP is critical and that depends on how bad and how often you want to beat on the motor and that's why I need more info.

Might want to PM 70blackfish, back in like 2008, Dwayne and I both independently advised him on a cam for a very similar combo and we were dead-on ( literally within a degree or 2 of each-other with the same spread and icl) and he's real happy with that one! He made 587 TO THE WHEELS with an AUTOMATIC by 6400 (so over 700 at the crank), I'm sure either he or Dwayne has the cam card for it. And with your induction I might just take that basic grind (it was a similar weight Cuda) and maybe spread the centers slightly and put it in just a little later to take advantage of the stick, by upping the peak power 200-300 rpm alone should get you right at 750 no fuss/no muss.
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 04:55 PM

I'm with Ron, another vote for Dwayne Porter. He spec'd the solid roller my Victor MW build. He sends the specs to Comp and they drop ship to you. Price was no more than Summit shelf cams. Only a few passes so far, car hasn't been out since Oct. Here's a link to some results I posted last year. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Also, I did drill, tap and install new 1.0 inch Heli-coils further into heads below center rocker stand. Now all threads are below the base of the stand. Read about that trick here on here on Moparts

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I am limited to a 275/60/15 tire so that is something to consider. That said I am just having fun not looking to break and records or win any of the classes. Just an occasional blast down the strip and plenty of street. I am not worried about getting th car to launch as I will employ a three step timing control and a trick clutch setup.

So far I have this recommendation:

275-300lbs on the seat, and 700-750lbs open
.783"-Intake and .770"-Exhaust.
286/291 @.050"
111 LSA

This recommendation was made based on the tire size, weight, and intended use of my beater. I am looking to put a Lenco behind it fwiw.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 05:58 PM

Quote:

Since you`re wisely goin through Isky, talk to Rod and tell him I sent ya and see what he says............. What do want from this thing? Daily cruiser, dual purpose, where do the heads peak at,power brakes? What can you live with cos it matters...............

Hi Dom! My intention with this car is FAST with a moderate amount of maintenance. I'd like to change valve springs and rebuild the lifters every three years or so when I tear the engine down if I can get away with it. No power brakes, etc. My driver is a 1970 W100 so any passenger car chassis going to be more streetable than that thing.
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 06:11 PM

HELLO I HAVE RUN THE 557 AND THE 590 MOPAR PERFOMANCE CAMS RAN THEM IN 493 ENGINES AND 496 AND 500 IN MOTOR , THEY WORKED GREAT AND CAN GET THEM FOR AROUND $225.00 OR $250.00 NEW WITH LIFTERS. THATS A REAL MOPAR CAM . NOT A CHEVY KNOCK OFF . THAT MY (A REAL MOPAR MAN)

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 06:32 PM

I also have really had great luck with the 557 and 590 MP solids however I need to step up to a roller cam in order to take advantage of the cylinder heads on this engine.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Dom! My intention with this car is FAST with a moderate amount of maintenance. I'd like to change valve springs and rebuild the lifters every three years or so when I tear the engine down if I can get away with it. No power brakes, etc. My driver is a 1970 W100 so any passenger car chassis going to be more streetable than that thing.

I`m sure these guys can get you there but that cam sounds huge to me for what your doin and those tires and a stick are going to be a challenge......... Sounds like fun though.......

I don`t see .750+ lift cams as being "low maintenance" and the lobes aggressiveness will definately determine that. When I had a cam ground to my liking at Isky we went w/the most aggressive lobe they felt could be daily driven, freeway etc. and I`ve changed springs twice in 8 years and had the roller lifters rebuilt once not sure that cam will work that way but I`m sure the cam co. can let you know for sure.............

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 07:21 PM

I agree it does sound massive in the duration department but I'm not one to judge in this situation. I think at this point my challenge is figuring out how to get a spring that will handle that kind of lift on the Victor cylinder head. Perhaps longer valves and milling off the cast in pedestals is going to have to happen. Or I could run a smaller cam and leave everything as is on the heads.

Also addressing the center rocker arm pedestal I went ahead and ordered the longer -1 studs from Josh at Indy and made sure the helicoil is installed below the pedestal itself so that part should be good.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the insight on this. I know my combo/intended use sounds out of the ordinary but I will make it work even if it takes time. I also have a spare short block going together as a backup.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 07:33 PM

That`s my point.............if you`re not trying to set a crazy et goal or go "max effort" then why the "race cam" but whoever picked that may have a few tricks up his sleeve..............
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 07:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I am limited to a 275/60/15 tire so that is something to consider. That said I am just having fun not looking to break and records or win any of the classes. Just an occasional blast down the strip and plenty of street. I am not worried about getting th car to launch as I will employ a three step timing control and a trick clutch setup.

286/291 @.050"
111 LSA

This recommendation was made based on the tire size, weight, and intended use of my beater. I am looking to put a Lenco behind it fwiw.

Who the helw gave you that recommendation? Thats Wayyy to big for your 10.8 comp.

Your going to want something around 265 to 270 @ .050 in a roller. Closer to 265 IMO for better street manors with that stick.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 07:34 PM

My ...

1. 4-speed and 275/60R15 is a DISASTER combination w/ that much power. It won't matter what you pick for a cam 'cuz it'll never hook.

2. With a stick car, better find a way to put a bigger bias-ply DOT-legal tire under it, like at least a 10"-tread Hoosier QT Pro or MT ET Street. Even a sticky radial won't hook w/ a stick.

3. I also suggest strongly that you put your faith and $$$ into Dwayne Porter's hands w/ respect to cam selection. Be HONEST with him about your expections and what trade-offs you're willing to live with and he'll get you something that works.

4. If it was mine, I'd look for something around 275 @ .050" intake, 280 @ .050" exhaust, 110 LSA, and no more than about .700" net lift for durability concerns. That's still going to be something you need to stay on top of re: spring tension and lifter wear, though.

Of course, with my cam pick & your combination, I'd expect my Challenger to be capable of dipping into the 9s on pump gas. But mine's an auto w/ reasonably sorted out suspension and I'm used to regular maintenace (when it's actually running).

If you want a "set it and forget it" type cam, better re-think going much over .600" lift and stick with milder lobes that won't require killer spring pressures to keep the valve train glued together.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 07:35 PM

Just didn`t wanna pee in anyones cheerios............. I`d bet my cam would work awesome in that thing............

This;

.680-.660 lift

275-280 @ .050 108 lsa installed at 105.........

Lash stays nice, idles and drive very nice and haulzz azz.............
Posted By: gch

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 08:46 PM

Consider less gear as you really don't need it and it will likely make it easier to hook with a small tire.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 08:55 PM

That cam recommendation is horrible for what you are doing. That looks like a BBC camshaft. You should strongly reconsider that option.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 09:19 PM

Quote:

That cam recommendation is horrible for what you are doing. That looks like a BBC camshaft. You should strongly reconsider that option.

That is why I am asking questions here and verifying my options as I go.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 09:39 PM

Quote:

My ...

1. 4-speed and 275/60R15 is a DISASTER combination w/ that much power. It won't matter what you pick for a cam 'cuz it'll never hook.

2. With a stick car, better find a way to put a bigger bias-ply DOT-legal tire under it, like at least a 10"-tread Hoosier QT Pro or MT ET Street. Even a sticky radial won't hook w/ a stick.

3. I also suggest strongly that you put your faith and $$$ into Dwayne Porter's hands w/ respect to cam selection. Be HONEST with him about your expections and what trade-offs you're willing to live with and he'll get you something that works.

4. If it was mine, I'd look for something around 275 @ .050" intake, 280 @ .050" exhaust, 110 LSA, and no more than about .700" net lift for durability concerns. That's still going to be something you need to stay on top of re: spring tension and lifter wear, though.

Of course, with my cam pick & your combination, I'd expect my Challenger to be capable of dipping into the 9s on pump gas. But mine's an auto w/ reasonably sorted out suspension and I'm used to regular maintenace (when it's actually running).

If you want a "set it and forget it" type cam, better re-think going much over .600" lift and stick with milder lobes that won't require killer spring pressures to keep the valve train glued together.

1) Don't say never. There are lots of tricks to getting a clutch car to work. I might have to change tires but that is minor and can be addressed.

2) See #1. My goal is to have fun making this work and I will make it work.

3) I will contact Mr. Porter. When you say honest with expectations I have to ask why would I want to deceive the guy designing the "brains" of my engine. It will run as fast as it runs and that will be plenty fast for me.

4) I am not worried about maintenance when it comes to changing oil, checking lash and stuff like that. Everything I own is old and requires maintenance. What I want to avoid is changing out parts like valve springs and I have been told that I can run in the neighborhood of .750ish lift with good spring and be fine. To be honest Brad I expected something more towards what you specified with more net lift. That said I'm not an engine builder just a hobbyist looking to have a fast street car.

What I am trying to do has been done and may not be plug and play but I am willing to work for it and have plenty of budget to try different things.

So do you think we should get out the Gold leaf and paint DISASTER on the door of my car? Thinking outside of the box is not a disaster it is a journey and an adventure.

So back to cam recommendations if we may...

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 10:40 PM

Quote:

So do you think we should get out the Gold leaf and paint DISASTER on the door of my car? Thinking outside of the box is not a disaster it is a journey and an adventure.

Naaaahhh... just trying to pass on from my own experience and what I've seen with others' that big cubes + big power + manual transmission + small tires = a really tough time hooking up.

Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 10:43 PM

Call Bob George, ask him. Not saying these other guys wont know, I have experience with Bob.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 10:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Naaaahhh... just trying to pass on from my own experience and what I've seen with others' that big cubes + big power + manual transmission + small tires = a really tough time hooking up.

I know my fellow mopar brothers are here to help. I did not take anything that was said as disingenuous. All of the knowledge that has been shared with me is always taken into consideration and much appreciated. It is not easy to help a guy like me is taking the hard, less traveled route to achieve mediocre results. With any luck the tunnel ram will scare people away at grudge night and nobody will ever know how slow the car really is.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/13/14 11:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know my fellow mopar brothers are here to help. I did not take anything that was said as disingenuous. All of the knowledge that has been shared with me is always taken into consideration and much appreciated. It is not easy to help a guy like me is taking the hard, less traveled route to achieve mediocre results. With any luck the tunnel ram will scare people away at grudge night and nobody will ever know how slow the car really is.

I can appreciate what you`re doing and I do a similar "less path traveled" deal by being totally n/a............not the fastest but have a ball AND a challenge every time I drive/race it.........As stated, stay away from that funny car cam.............
Posted By: dvw

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 12:02 AM

A couple of questions. I'm assuming this thing is going on the street? Why dominators? Why only 10.8-1? Why a mechanical fuel pump? What kind of trans and clutch? I agree, get some bias plys. Also if it's not gutted I'll bet it's closer to 3850+.
Doug

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 02:32 AM

Quote:

A couple of questions. I'm assuming this thing is going on the street? Why dominators? Why only 10.8-1? Why a mechanical fuel pump? What kind of trans and clutch? I agree, get some bias plys. Also if it's not gutted I'll bet it's closer to 3850+.
Doug

Hi Doug,

I'll try to answer these questions in order:

1) I do not have dominators. My current combo has a 4150 1050cfm QF annular carb on it. I scored a second one cheap so that is what I'll try first. My engine with one carb works great so I figured two would be even better.

2) I started with 10.8:1 to stay pump gas friendly. If needed I can bump the compression up. The block has yet to be decked and the heads are virgin as well.

3) I have a mechanical race pump fuel pump and will make sure it feeds the engine's needs on the dyno. It should not be an issue. It is what I have so that is what we are trying to use.

4) On the trans: My next project is putting a 4-speed Lenco in the car. Practical? No. Fun? Very! Getting a forgiving clutch is not a big deal either.

5) The car is as light as I say it is. In fact it's lighter right now but will gain weight with some of the improvements and a roll cage good to 8.50. That will come after the trans swap.

6) On the tires that is not really in the scope of this discussion but as I said above that is an easy thing to change. Car sits on cal tracs and mono leafs with QA1's.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 04:10 AM

J, what kind of mechanical race pump do you have? Its good that you will test it on the Dyno. Most after market mechanicals wont be enough for your intended combo.

Again, who recommended that big/huge cam?? Id stay far far away from his specs.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 04:34 AM

I have two mechanical fuel pumps to test.

This one: http://www.racepumps.com/

and this one:

http://www.claysmithcams.com/mopar-b-426-chrysler-hemi/

I emailed the fellow that recommended the cam and am trying to understand his logic and make sure it's not huge because I am misrepresenting my intended use, etc. Being a little out of my league on this I hate to question the experts due to my lack of knowledge. From what I read I figured something high 260-low 270 @ .050 and .740-.760 net lift at 110-112 would do the trick. I was really surprised by the duration. I did say that my combo has 800hp potential with the tunnel ram perhaps that is where I went wrong.

I stopped in and measured the potential installed height on my heads today. With a .060 spring cup it looks like my heads will also be using a 1.950 installed height, 1.625 diameter spring.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 05:55 PM

PM 70Blackfish and ask for the cam he discussed with Bobby (me) and Dwayne (Fast68Plymouth)....pretty sure that one will get it done for you (other than maybe retarding the ICL a couple degrees for the stick) for both street and strip and with 1.7 rockers it'll be even better for the TR....why reinvent the wheel?

I seem to think it was about 274I and 280E (? it's been about 6 years and I deleted the PM's back and forth...heck it might have even been a Flat tappet which means it'll be even better with a roller nose) with a moderate/street friendly lobe lift that didn't need a monster spring to live so it'll have great longevity for a roller. I'm purdy good on the overall durations lifts and spreads and Dwayne's the true master at that as well as picking just the right lobe.

Those heads have really good mid lifts so it doesn't need as much cam to ET well since the torque through the middle can do most of the heavy lifting. (hard acceleration). With heavy cars...Remember the cam that 'real world' ET's the best and the cam that makes the most power on the dyno are seldom the same grind, torque curve is more critical than the top end power number, that's why dyno charts mean more to me than peak numbers. With good heads, big induction but in a Heavy car...there's a bit more of an ET/drivability risk in over-camming it than under-camming it.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 06:52 PM

Thank you sir. I appreciate the theory it helps me understand why I am doing what I am doing.

After some negotiation and clarification we are getting closer on the cam specs:

275/282 @ .050"
.448"/.436" Lobe Lift
111 LSA
Posted By: BBR

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 10:28 PM

Guys, I just want you to stop and appreciate what a valuable resource moparts is. GREAT feed back about cam selection is going on here. I wish the BBF forums were as forth coming but they seem to be too worried about losing a camshaft sale to post any meaningful information.

Carry on.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/14/14 11:30 PM

Quote:

Guys, I just want you to stop and appreciate what a valuable resource moparts is. GREAT feed back about cam selection is going on here. I wish the BBF forums were as forth coming but they seem to be too worried about losing a camshaft sale to post any meaningful information.

Carry on.

Couldn`t agree more.................A good part of my success and tuning skills are from here and although I get edgy sometimes it`s because I`m very passionate about cars, tuning and learning as much as I can and even have locals calling me to help em get their carbs dialed in and suspension stuff as well. No pro but gettin better thankxx to many on here.............peace!

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 04:25 AM

Not sure why my thread died. Hopefully I didn't upset anyone.

Moving on...

Does anyone know if you can get a billet cam core with a pressed on cast gear? I would like to get away from the disposable intermediate gear.

On another note we have four cylinders rough bored. Hopefully I will get both blocks done tomorrow after work. I also found a trio of Doug Nash 5-speeds with torsional outputs in a basement stash so maybe that is what will end up in the car. I have also been considering minitubbing the car and moving the spring in to the frame rails so I can put a 10" slick under it.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me along with my project.

I have been working like crazy (135 hours every two weeks) so having my sights set on a personal goal has helped keep moral up.

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 06:11 AM

Didn`t offend me and the mini-tub sounds like the way to go and if to the frame you may get 12"`s under there easy enuff. Good luck........
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 06:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

286/291 @.050"
111 LSA

Who the helw gave you that recommendation? Thats Wayyy to big for your 10.8 comp.

Your going to want something around 265 to 270 @ .050 in a roller. Closer to 265 IMO for better street manors with that stick.

That big cam sounds more like a dedicated drag cam, for higher compression. Also, With that large a cam, I think you need to cut deeper valve reliefs in the pistons? I don't know about the Diamond pistons, but I doubt my KB ICON pistons could handle a 270 @ 0.050" cam without milling the valve reliefs deeper.
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 07:18 AM

I would put a solid flat tappet cam like a Racer Brown STX-21. It will have .630 lift with 1.7 RAR and dur. is 272* at.050. You can get cam, lifters and springs for just a little more than a good set of springs would cost for the roller cam. Maintenance will be low and horsepower will still be very good. I have switched from solid rollers to the Racer Brown flat tappets twice, and both cars were faster, Bob Pleasant and Don Rauchs cars, both Moparts members. Adjust the valves once a year and have fun. I have a STX-22, [.629" lift-276* at .050], in my LeBaron, in an INDY SR headed 512 and have been 5.44 at 126mph. Car weighs 2560 with me in it. That is over 800HP with a flat tappet cam, and cam, lifters and springs were less than $400. My demon has same STX-22 camshaft, in a small block and has over 1800 passes on it with just 2 spring changes, done with heads on engine.

Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 03:42 PM

From what I am gleaning from experts the LSA on each combo is picked according to valve size per cube as a basic bench mark, along with compression, and a couple of other inputs?
That's why I am going to put in another plug for Dwayne Porter. There are endurance springs and cam lobes that will work for you, and a pro needs to pick the combo for best results.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

286/291 @.050"
111 LSA

That big cam sounds more like a dedicated drag cam, for higher compression. Also, With that large a cam, I think you need to cut deeper valve reliefs in the pistons? I don't know about the Diamond pistons, but I doubt my KB ICON pistons could handle a 270 @ 0.050" cam without milling the valve reliefs deeper.

I have less cam than that in my 528 with 15/1 compression! On top of that ,some cam programs call for a narrower LSA, and less duration than I have now, which is 283 intake. I originally made 847 hp with a 278 @ .050 intake lobe with 15/1 compression.
Most of us gat into the bigger is better mind set, and your cam recommendation will most likely come back looking small, but trust the guy you pick to chose it.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 04:04 PM

One phone call to Dwayne Porter is all you need. 802-951-1955
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/19/14 04:48 PM

Quote:

I doubt my KB ICON pistons could handle a 270 @ 0.050" cam without milling the valve reliefs deeper.

My flat top ICONS cleared but not much room to spare. 274/280@.050 .674 gross lift. 2.25/1.81 MW Victor .010 deck .039 gasket.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/20/14 12:37 AM

Quote:

One phone call to Dwayne Porter is all you need. 802-951-1955

Ron

Re: Please Help Me Pick a Cam for my 511" - 02/20/14 07:14 PM

Quote:

Not sure why my thread died. Hopefully I didn't upset anyone.

Probably because you were getting basically the same cam recommendations from multiple sources. There wasn't much to add, short of hearing what your final decision was.

FWIW, on going w/ bigger tires.
© 2024 Moparts Forums