Moparts

S & W a body roll cage

Posted By: skj283

S & W a body roll cage - 02/11/14 01:59 AM

Just curious if anyone has any pics of an s & w 8 point cage installed in an a body. Mine is a 71 dart swinger, but im mostly just curious about the bars that they offer to save the back seat. Or the ones that don't. either way, would love to see some pics. Cant find much on people who have actually installed them, but from what I have read they are supposed to be one of the better fitting bars. Was also considering the autoweld kit, but cant find anyone who has put one in. Im thinking the jegs kit is out from what I have read. Anyways, thanks for the time and any help in advance.
Posted By: nasty68

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/11/14 03:27 AM

I have a S&W 10 pt cage in my dart. I don't have any pics on this computer so i can't help you there. The cage went in nice. Bars are longer than needed to get the fit you want and are notched. I got the bars that allow you to keep your back seat. They follow the roof line and drop down thru the speaker holes in the back deck.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/11/14 04:19 AM

that's kinda what im lookin for. I may wanna use those bars for my upper shock mounts and im wanting them to make a bend and go basically straight down where they meet the frame. it's like impossible to find pics of cars that have had them put in. mostly all I can find is people debating which brand to buy, and someone saying take it to a chassis builder. thanks for the input!
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/11/14 02:24 PM

I had a eight point s&w kit in my car. Fit nice but you will need to get rear bars custom bent to use for mount braces. I don't have any pics as I have cut that one out and have 12 point cage in car.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/11/14 03:19 PM

I have a 10 point in my Dart. But I don't have the rear bars that saved the rear seat. I don't have pics on this computer. I can post some when I get home tonight.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 12:53 AM

ya I would like to see how close the bar fits to the sides of the car. according to the dimensions that they gave me it looks like it would have at least 2 inches on each side of the bar. I'd kinda like a little tighter fit than that. also at the top id like to see how it follows the roof line. again the measurements make it look quite a bit narrower than it could be
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 02:24 AM

I have the s&w bar in my car pm your email I send pics . I did the rear seat save option.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 03:09 AM

I have one in my Dart.

Attached picture 8037411-006.JPG

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 03:35 AM

Attached picture 8037437-005.JPG

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 03:44 AM

Attached picture 8037446-001.JPG

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 03:48 AM

thanks! two questions, is that how they wanted the bars in the trunk to attach, i.e. staggered like that, and how much room is there between the bar and the door jam. according to the measurements its almost 3 inches on each side, but urs looks pretty close.
Posted By: Chris Vanover

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 04:04 AM

May also check into a competition engineering, i put on of them in a nova and it fit really good for a kit.

Have used a sw and jegs kit before as well and like the C/E better.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 06:00 AM

pm sent scamp.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 12:16 PM

I don't have mine staggered like that but we did increase the bend to the deg that the comp eng had the s&w was less. I don't know if this is true or not but I was told you are only allowed to have one bend on rear bar .
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 01:27 PM

If I can get pictures up on here I will, but I used a jegs kit for a B-body I have an 1in between the sides and the bar ! It's very tight ! But I used the down bars for the halo for the back bars and had my chassie guy do one piece to get ride of the halo ( I don't like halos) then I went and bought a couple more bars to be able to do 7.50 cert ! Got the sfi book, it was worth it for the. Bars I would have had to move or fix from what I thought was legal and what was legal !

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 03:04 PM

Posted By: MadMopars

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 04:28 PM

How low are you allowed to put the cross bar on the main hoop? I ask because there really doesn't seem to be a good way to get to the back seat once a cage has been installed. I'm guessing a removable cross bar won't fly. The pic above looks alot more friendly.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 04:56 PM

Quote:

thanks! two questions, is that how they wanted the bars in the trunk to attach, i.e. staggered like that, and how much room is there between the bar and the door jam. according to the measurements its almost 3 inches on each side, but urs looks pretty close.

I bent the bar in the trunk, it was going to hit the filler neck otherwise. The main hoop is a lot closer than 3", IIRC it's just over an inch.

No one rides in the back of my car, the bars are more dangerous than a crash would be IMO.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 04:56 PM

It would depend if your using a FC cage like I am ! If that's the case it can be pretty low ! My sfi book is at home so I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure right now ! I know the nhra says that iirc it can't be low than 4 or 6 in where the belts come out the the seat ? As far as removable I'm not sure it would fly but I never tried so not sure ! I just figured only people getting in the back seat will be my kids, and they love to climb all over in there now. So it's not a big deal to me of them !
Posted By: dvw

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 05:13 PM

A normal 8.50 cage needs the cross bar with-in 6" of the top of your shoulders. It can not be removable. The kids love crawling over it, Heck I can crawl over it.
Doug

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/13/14 05:38 PM

I thought I was close ? I am to old to crawl over the bars anymore !

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 12:04 AM

does anyone know if interior dimensions are the same between the darts like I have and the demon/duster/dart sport? I'm guessing they are not due to most brands offering two different cages.

I really like how duster johns bar follows the roof.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 02:02 AM

Quote:

does anyone know if interior dimensions are the same between the darts like I have and the demon/duster/dart sport? I'm guessing they are not due to most brands offering two different cages.

I really like how duster johns bar follows the roof.

His pics show a dart, not a duster.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 03:00 AM

good eye.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

I thought I was close ? I am to old to crawl over the bars anymore !

Come on, I'm 59
Doug

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 04:22 AM

I'm not ! I'm 41 and after jumping out of perfectly good aircraft for 15 plus years, and 2 tour in Iraq and 1 in afganastan, I just don't move like I use too, stuff just hurts all the time now !

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 04:41 AM

Quote:

I'm not ! I'm 41 and after jumping out of perfectly good aircraft for 15 plus years, and 2 tour in Iraq and 1 in afganastan, I just don't move like I use too, stuff just hurts all the time now !

I salute you for your service.
Thanks Doug

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 04:47 AM

Thank you sir it was my honor !

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

Thank you sir it was my honor !

Thank you!
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 07:42 AM

Wow that stuff looks like it fits super! Any pics of the front windshield bars on a Dart?

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 03:41 PM

Yeah but I think I only got it from the front let me take a look !

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 03:47 PM

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 03:51 PM

I can get better ones if those won't work ? Let me know !

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/14/14 04:49 PM

Sorry the car stores some stuff in the winter ! So I hope some of these are helpful.

Posted By: FastmOp

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/15/14 09:02 PM

Thats a nice shed! Mobile even!

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/15/14 11:08 PM

Looks good, I assume those were the non-thru dash front bars. They follow the A-pillars great. Im still not ready to take the cage plunge with 2 youngsters who love riding in the car still.

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/15/14 11:56 PM

Quote:

Thats a nice shed! Mobile even!

Gota use what you got sometimes ! I got to much crap and not enough room ! Even with a 3 bay and 2 bay plus a 32 by 40 barn ! I just have to much stuff ! I might have to have a sale !!!
My kids love climbing in the car ! I got the back seat in it now and it's very very tight for leg room but we are most going to drag it, with maybe hitting some cruises every now and again !

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/16/14 02:11 PM

Here's what mine looks like.

Attached picture 8041342-DSCF0045.JPG

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 02/16/14 02:13 PM

Another. This is the bar that kills the back seat. Plus the frame doesn't help either.

Attached picture 8041343-DSCF0047.JPG

Re: S & W a body roll cage - 05/24/14 05:20 AM

These are definitely the rear braces I want. S&W seem like decent guys so far in conversations. I have to save a few more $$$ for the 1.75x.120 road race 10 pt. with some forward braces and rocker bars. Quite a bit more money than I was expecting lol, I guess head porting is gonna have to wait now...
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/8037437-005.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums