Moparts

Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day

Posted By: Dragula

Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 02:13 AM

Does a raised cam block also have to be a tall deck block? How can I tell a raised deck block from standard?

Ok, maybe that's two dumb questions, but I want my money's worth.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 02:30 AM

Quote:

Does a raised cam block also have to be a tall deck block? How can I tell a raised deck block from standard?

Ok, maybe that's two dumb questions, but I want my money's worth. [/quote

never heard of a low deck raised cam block, that doesn't mean they don't exist. Call the manufacturer and ask if they made one and how to identify it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 02:50 AM

I have not heard of a raised cam low deck, pretty sure they are tall deck blocks.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 03:59 AM

Low deck block limit for crank is 4.25 the whole reason for the raised cam block is to clear 5 in crank ! Low deck verse raised you can tell where the water pump mounts, low deck is almost even with the top of the water pump blocks on the block, raised block would be almost 3/4 in taller at the same spot ! :
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 04:35 AM

Quote:

Ok, maybe that's two dumb questions, but I want my money's worth.

Measure the distance between the bottom of the front cam bearing and the upper half of the front main bearing seat on a B or RB to see what it is and go from there Now send me my tip

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 04:53 AM

I did not say LOW DECK!!!!

Never mentioned it...
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 06:00 AM

Quote:

Does a raised cam block also have to be a tall deck block?

Technically ... no. Brad Anderson "big bore" blocks are not considered tall decks (Deck=10.225 +/-) and they are ALL raised cams.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 06:10 AM

there are other reasons to run a raised cam block besides crank clearence
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 09:58 AM

Quote:

I did not say LOW DECK!!!!

Never mentioned it...

My point on mentioning both stock type blocks is neither one is a raised cam block The same timing set and chains and gear drives can be used on both B and RB stock blocks
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 04:26 PM

could you not just measure the deck height with a 12" dial caliper to see, or is the engine assembled?

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 05:30 PM

So if I am looking at an aftermarket block, KB, Indy, etc...And from what everyone is saying, it can be a raised cam, but not neccessarily a raised deck block.

What is the standard deck height of an RB or Hemi? And what is the typical raised deck height of an after market block? The number 10.72 comes to mind...
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 08:12 PM

Most aftermarket BB blocks are available in a raised cam version.Indys aluminium water blocks are available in raised cam versions from 9.98 to 10.72 deck,their soild blocks is available in raised cam version from 9.98 to 10.820.Many other blocks are available in with a variety of deck measurments.Standard deck height for RB/Hemi is 10.720
Posted By: SSDAcuda

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 08:16 PM

Quote:

there are other reasons to run a raised cam block besides crank clearence

Thats the same thought I had when browsing this thread!!
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 08:34 PM

Does a raised cam block take a cam ground difrent? And can it take a roller bearing set up for an oversize cam? And finally does it require a custom lifter location?
Nice post Dragula!

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/09/14 08:47 PM

Quote:

Most aftermarket BB blocks are available in a raised cam version.Indys aluminium water blocks are available in raised cam versions from 9.98 to 10.72 deck,their soild blocks is available in raised cam version from 9.98 to 10.820.Many other blocks are available in with a variety of deck measurments.Standard deck height for RB/Hemi is 10.720

So standard deck is 10.72, and it sounds like those can be either standard cam location or raised cam, and on top of that, I can get a raised deck, which would definitely have a raised cam, correct?

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/10/14 03:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So standard deck is 10.72, and it sounds like those can be either standard cam location or raised cam, and on top of that, I can get a raised deck, which would definitely have a raised cam, correct? [/quote

With any block you have to specify machine for raised cam unless the block is cast for raised cam.Most blocks are cast for standard applications.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/10/14 06:40 PM

Quote:

Does a raised cam block take a cam ground difrent? And can it take a roller bearing set up for an oversize cam? And finally does it require a custom lifter location?
Nice post Dragula!

No the cam CAN be the same. Yes they can go with larger cores. When you raise the cam the lifter bores do change but they machine them back to the same angle as a non raised cam block. The big killer is cam drive. When you raise the cam the std timing chain, gear drive or belt drive DO NOT work. Jesel for instance get a few hundred more for the cam drive.
Posted By: cknight

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/10/14 10:21 PM

Most raised cam blocks have altered lifter bore angles, in order to help restore proper pushrod geometry. The most popular raised cam lifter bank angle (degrees from vertical) is 48 degrees, standard is 45 degrees. There were also early MOPAR Megablocks that had raised cams, havomg 47 degree lifter bank angles for B/RB applications, and 50 degrees for Hemi applications. You need to make sure of what you really have before ordering your camshaft. Regards, Chase
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 03:24 AM

My World Products aluminum block Hemi is a .250 raised cam block . Standard Hemi block height is at 10.720 and my block is 10.720 . As stated above you need a Jesel belt drive [ $1500. ] or a gear drive about $1000. ] a standard timing chain will not work. On a raised cam block the lifter bores are at 48 degrees where as the standard block is 45 degrees. Stock .904 lifter bore . You do need a special cam . My block has the lifter bores bushed and also spread .200 for a 2" center from the stock 1.800 The block was set up for 4 3/4" crank clearance I have a 4.5 bore x 4.5 stroke = 572 ci. What else do you need to know? except what the hell was I thinking when I started this project.
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 04:59 AM

The cam location being standard or raised is decided from cam distance from the crank center line. In the same way the deck height is measured from the crank center line. As stated before the lifter angles will change if you have a raised cam block. But having a raised cam block doesn't necessarily mean you have a tall deck block.

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 06:17 AM

One other thing on my World Products block. The cam bore came as stock so stock cam bearings could be used. The cam tunnel could be bored for oversized MM bearings of your choice.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 07:23 AM

1. not a dumb question

2. off topic, but I cant get over the Jesel belt drive $1500. WTF? 1500? is it made of 24k gold? good lord.

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 12:45 PM

Quote:

1. not a dumb question

2. off topic, but I cant get over the Jesel belt drive $1500. WTF? 1500? is it made of 24k gold? good lord.

This is why when I look at used race parts, I need to know what I am looking it. Somtimes there is some wierd stuff out there. The small blocks are the worst for decifering what they are.

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 06:21 PM

I thinl the $1500 price tag is a direct correlation to how many Mopar guys even think about building bigger engines. Just like why we have heads with 20+ year old technology. Just not enough Mopar guys willing to makethis kind of power out there to keep prices down and technology moving. I think most Mopar guys think a set of -1's are the bomb....

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 06:30 PM

Quote:

I thinl the $1500 price tag is a direct correlation to how many Mopar guys even think about building bigger engines. Just like why we have heads with 20+ year old technology. Just not enough Mopar guys willing to makethis kind of power out there to keep prices down and technology moving. I think most Mopar guys think a set of -1's are the bomb....

Unfortunetly, out our way, Heads up racing does not nearly have the car counts...So even if I could afford it, the venue to race it are very limited around here.

Now you put a Nostalgia class in, and we have over +80 cars per meet almost every time..A couple of our regular meets had +100 cars...That's 6 rounds to get to the finals plus the qualifiers, so it all depends. And I am still thinking the EZ1 heads are the Bomb...-1 heads would be a step up yet!

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 06:50 PM

Has nothing to do with heads up stuff. I am going to build a big motor to bracket race it. Hoping for 1250ish reliable HP. Still doing homework but hoping it becomes a reality. Just not many Mopar guys looking at making this kind of power out there, thus the increased price for parts. Makes sense to me, no demand short supply higher cost. I would say the overwhelming majority of Mopar guys are building 750-850hp engines at best and are completely happy there. Nothing wrong with that but no reason to complain about parts prices for stuff that is few and far between.

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 08:20 PM

I am not complaining what the parts cost...I'm the idiot that races a Hemi....Must be cheap.

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 08:37 PM

Quote:

I am not complaining what the parts cost...I'm the idiot that races a Hemi....Must be cheap.

I know you were not, just addressing the question asked by someone..

I did the Hemi thing too. Then decided I wanted to go fast
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/11/14 11:15 PM

thats all true,serious power costs serious money,uncommon parts add to that cost,i am not a big fan of indy but look at 600-13 heads even,dont see or hear much about them either,if everybody had a mega block they wouldn't be 4 grand for the iron version,although,kb blocks aren't cheap either and a lot of users there hasn't brought the price down,7700 I believe,out the door,{a year later},I guess opening your mind to options during a build always helps out with affordability/horsepower options,plan,build,adapt,go fast....

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/12/14 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OH, that hurt

Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/12/14 05:10 AM

Posted By: demongup

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/14/14 04:50 AM

Quote:

Has nothing to do with heads up stuff. I am going to build a big motor to bracket race it. Hoping for 1250ish reliable HP. Still doing homework but hoping it becomes a reality. Just not many Mopar guys looking at making this kind of power out there, thus the increased price for parts. Makes sense to me, no demand short supply higher cost. I would say the overwhelming majority of Mopar guys are building 750-850hp engines at best and are completely happy there. Nothing wrong with that but no reason to complain about parts prices for stuff that is few and far between.

Just so you know I will be releasing the "PSO "head package for the serious racer . They will be available as soon as I can get out and test (April,ish). I agree with you, I wish we had more selections . This development has been a nightmare .....even to get valve covers . I would of thought with these casting being around for 20 yrs it would of been an easier road .

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/14/14 03:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OH, that hurt

He's right, I should have bought a phord if I wanted to go fast...
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/14/14 08:47 PM

on the indy block anyway the standard cam height block the cam tunnel looks to be off set in the casting(low) and the raised cam version the tunnel looks to be centered. it is very obvious if you look.

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/14/14 08:58 PM

Im sure the blocks are the same castings. Just a matter of where the cam is located in casting
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/15/14 03:13 PM

I didn't mean they were two different blocks just how the cam tunnel is in a different location in the casting. All I was doing was trying to help the guy out. What made you think I said it was two different castings?

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/15/14 05:45 PM

I did not, was just making the point. That is a good way to possibly identify the Indy block as well as others but I have seen a World block or two that exhibit some of the casting irregularities that production blocks do. Meaning some core shift, so that may not be the best way to tell on all blocks. I have one here that is higher on the casting that is a STD cam location block. I believe he is looking for way to quickly identify them apart and not sure without measuring I would be confident if the seller was unsure or you wanted to verify it.

I think everyone might be getting a tad sensitive around here. Must be your long winter. If it helps it is supposed to be 80 here today

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/15/14 07:24 PM

The blocks are cast for both standard and raised cam locations,as stated the cam tunnel bore is located at different height.The casting can accommadate standard,55mm and 65mm Ford and aftermarket bearing including rollerized cages.The only modified considerations are the rear bearing diameter and if you rollerize then the front bearing bore should have a support welded in the upper top half for strength.If a block is in question just measure the crank bore centerline to the cam bore centerline and check against a stock block.I don't recall the exact difference in measurement but it's alot.If your going to a raised cam block the you should consider moving the lifter bores.Stay with the standard location unless your planning a engine over 605"
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Raised Cam Block...Dumb Q of the day - 02/15/14 11:37 PM

Quote:

thats all true,serious power costs serious money,uncommon parts add to that cost,i am not a big fan of indy but look at 600-13 heads even,dont see or hear much about them either,if everybody had a mega block they wouldn't be 4 grand for the iron version,although,kb blocks aren't cheap either and a lot of users there hasn't brought the price down,7700 I believe,out the door,{a year later},I guess opening your mind to options during a build always helps out with affordability/horsepower options,plan,build,adapt,go fast....

The 600-13 is more about the 4.84 borespacing and cam location than the heads.
© 2024 Moparts Forums