Moparts

Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping?

Posted By: MadMopars

Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 07:12 AM

Just curious, has anyone ever swapped mufflers and picked up E.T.? If so how much, what mufflers, what size exhaust and whats your approximate horsepower? I've seen dyno claims that say there is power to be gained by getting rid of my Flowmasters but I'm not sure I buy it, at least in my application. Thoughts?
Posted By: d3m0n

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 07:15 AM

i have the same questions
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 07:17 AM

Quote:

Just curious, has anyone ever swapped mufflers and picked up E.T.? If so how much, what mufflers, what size exhaust and whats your approximate horsepower? I've seen dyno claims that say there is power to be gained by getting rid of my Flowmasters but I'm not sure I buy it, at least in my application. Thoughts?

Your Flowmasters are one of the worst muffs out there
and yes ET can be had from just muffs... I like Dynomax
Super Turbos
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 09:12 AM

I saw .84 ET and 8.5 MPH differences between a set of the old 2.5 inch in and out turbo muffs with a very short(less than 36 inches) set of 2.5 inch exhaust pipes when compared to removing them to run open headers I put a set of Dynomax Bullet 14x 3.5 race mufflers on the car later that same day after getting beat in the brackets and it slowed down right at .12 ET and 1.2 MPH My last street and strip car with a three inch system with a set of 14x7 oval x 3 inch in and out Magnaflows changed .04 ET and .2 MPH in the eight mile removing the complete exhaust system The muffs on that car where mounted behind the rear end at the rear bumper so the weight may have been the basic difference for the change and maybe not the back pressure Flow masters are not the best muffs out there
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 02:39 PM

I think it really depends on the motor. For example, my car runs almost the same with or without the exhaust...just a couple hundredths slower with the exhaust on, and that it probably due to the added weight (about 25 lbs or so). My exhaust exits just before the rear tire, and I pull it off the car from time to time, not much different in ET, just louder....my exhaust consists of 3" flowmasters with 3" pipes.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 03:17 PM

Try measuring back pressure, or drop the exhaust and make a pass, see if it picks up. Every car will want something a little different.

Dropping the dual 3" w/ 2 chamber flows gained 0.1 sec on my Belv, running mid 11's
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 03:27 PM

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 03:31 PM

The car in the article above is now in the low 11's, with the same exhaust as when this article was written.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 04:51 PM

There are so many variables on this. You won't know what your combo likes until you try a thing or two. Certainly the more flow out of the engine, the more critical the exhaust becomes.

Personally, I run electric cut-outs on all my cars. That way, I can have my quiet and my noise with no compromise on performance. And they are a blast at shows and cruises.

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html

Interesting read. Although I really like the sound of the Flowmaster's it's to bad they perform so poorly in comparison to others. I wish they hadn't tested on a single exhaust application. Not really apples to apples, but still useful none the less.

I find it hard to believe there was so much gained by stepping up to an X pipe. That may be worth looking into on my car.

Quote:

Personally, I run electric cut-outs on all my cars. That way, I can have my quiet and my noise with no compromise on performance. And they are a blast at shows and cruises.

I have cut outs on there now. I just haven't opened them up in years. I will probably open them up next trip out just to see how restrictive the exhaust really is.

It's a toss up for me. I know that the car runs better with the tunnel ram on and the exhaust opened up but I'm trying to build a "Fast Street Car". If I open the exhaust and put the tunnel ram on I will have a "Slow Race Car". I use both of those terms loosely in either direction.

I think cruising around and going to the track bring on two different mentality's. On the street it's cool when it looks like a race car. At the track it's cool when it looks like a street car.

I'll continue to struggle with my conflicting predicament.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 06:58 PM

I've posted it before, but on my IHRA Stocker with a 360, I picked up at least .05 going from open TTI headers with collectors to their 3" X-pipe ending with Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers at the rear end housing. I'm convinced that the X-pipe helped and the mufflers didn't hurt! Your results may vary and may require minor jetting changes for optimim results.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 07:57 PM

My sons mid 11 Dart picks up 2 tenths when he spaces the headers with washers over the Flow Masters. As for my car I run the 3" TTI x-pipe out to the rear bumper and I use Ultra-Flow muffles. I dont know if it makes any difference as I run through the pipes and have never uncapped it. But I dont think it would pick up much if I uncap it. Ron
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/03/14 08:11 PM

I run a 3" exhaust that reduces to 2.5" after the mufflers and out the back. I took off flowmasters and replaced them with magnaflows and picked up 1-2mph right off. It also shined some light on some fuel delivery problems I was having as it went waayyy rich when i swapped the mufflers. I have since taken some fuel out and still need to take more and the car has picked up considerably. It was obviously constipated with the flowmasters on there.

This is on a 450-500HP 360. The car is also a lot quieter and it sounds better IMO.
Posted By: d3m0n

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 02:32 AM

i have a demon with a 440 . i run pro parts headers an H pipe and 3" flows dumped at the axle. my car has tons of torque and bottom end . i droped the exaust and jetted up 4 sizes went to the track didnt get to make any changes but the car lost all bottom end it was very lazy . im going to run exaust next time i go but the car felt slower to me maybe i jetted up to much i dont know?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 04:26 PM

Like said before, there's a lot of variables. There's no question a straight through style muffler flows better than a flowmaster, but will making the switch make your car run faster? Maybe, maybe not.

One of my old 440s w/ a 509 cam and ported 915s ran 11.40s at 117 mph in my cuda through 3" exhaust and 2 chamber flowmasters. It ran no better w/ open headers...and yes I tried to tune for the difference.
My last 440 ran 10.40 at 129 mph through 4" exhaust w/ 2 chamber flowmasters. Open headers made no difference. I don't think it would have needed a 4" system if I had better flowing mufflers to run that. I just happen to like the sound of Flowmasters.

Having said that, I have seen guys change from flowmasters to a straight through style muffler (Dynomax Ultraflow, Magnaflow, or Hooker Max Flow) and have the car run faster.

My current hemi combo loses a little over a tenth and about 1.5-2 mph (compared to open headers) when I run it w/ the 4" H pipe system w/ a pair of one chamber flowmasters....but the system is heavy and hemis hate mufflers (generally).
Posted By: moparfan

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 05:11 PM

My demon has TTI headers and a 3" x pipe and mufflers at the rear axle, switched from a 2 chamber Flow Master to Dynomax ultra flows same day at the track, probably an hour apart. no noticable difference in et or MPH, it's quieter with the ultraflows though.

Like said above, lots of varibles.

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 05:14 PM

When I was back in the lab we tested multiple style
and manufactures of muffs... we did it on the dyno
for a comparison.. we took a few extra readings besides
the HP.. we took back pressure, DB, and did a cost..
this was about 10 years ago... back then we were trying
to get more power, quieter exhaust and low weight
along with cost savings.... dont ask what the numbers
were.. I dont recall... they were just numbers to
me that had to be compiled to submit... all I remembered
was the flowmax was on the bottom of the list for
multiple reasons and HP was one
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 05:17 PM

my 605 hemi was almost a tenth faster through the muffs. 4 inch straight pipes into borla XR1, turned down in front of rear ladder bar crossmember.

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 05:30 PM

Quote:

my 605 hemi was almost a tenth faster through the muffs. 4 inch straight pipes into borla XR1, turned down in front of rear ladder bar crossmember.

Did you tune it for the best of both conditions..
I can say that I have never seen a engine make more
power running through a exhaust(thats ME seeing it
in person).. thats like some say they ran quicker with
a air cleaner on... but they didnt tune for it off
(back pressure on exhaust and restriction on a air
cleaners reduce flow)
EDIT
I should say that if the headers were right for the
engine then the above applied)
Posted By: Bob_Spelic

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 05:56 PM

my dragster picked up .05 when changing from 2" upswept to 2" downswept with Borla collector muffler.

bob_spelic

Attached picture 8026256-spelic.jpg
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 06:45 PM

When you guys run open headers do you put collector extension on? Dulcich did an extensive header comparison awhile back on a hot 440 (Hooker super comp headers I think) and a proper length collector extension was worth a ridiculous amount of power over the factory collector length, something like 40-60 HP, but only in the lower to mid range level, it didn't seem to make a huge difference in the upper RPM's. I think the engine dyno'ed in the 600+HP range.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 06:49 PM

I think 18" give or take not very much was the magic number depending on what was less than ideal in your combo.

Kevin

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 06:53 PM

Quote:

When you guys run open headers do you put collector extension on? Dulcich did an extensive header comparison awhile back on a hot 440 (Hooker super comp headers I think) and a proper length collector extension was worth a ridiculous amount of power over the factory collector length, something like 40-60 HP, but only in the lower to mid range level, it didn't seem to make a huge difference in the upper RPM's. I think the engine dyno'ed in the 600+HP range.

Yep... the proper collector length is for the torque...
a shelf header doesnt have anywhere near the proper
length collector(even if its the right diameter)...
shelf headers are basically made to fit and sure dont
make peak HP or torque... but they do get the exhaust out
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 07:49 PM

Quote:

i have a demon with a 440 . i run pro parts headers an H pipe and 3" flows dumped at the axle. my car has tons of torque and bottom end . i droped the exaust and jetted up 4 sizes went to the track didnt get to make any changes but the car lost all bottom end it was very lazy . im going to run exaust next time i go but the car felt slower to me maybe i jetted up to much i dont know?

You probally did jet it up to much, go back and try it again with the same jetting with and without the exhaust system on it Usually, when removing the back pressure of the exhaust, you jet the carb. down one or two jet sizes to make the car go faster BTW, by jetting the carb. up with the open exhaust you did prove your fuel system has enough volume to slow the car down, which is a good test It is far safer to jet the motor up to slow the car down first and then jet it down a little bit at a time(one jet size at a time, not four ) until it starts to loose MPH in 1/4 Let us know your results
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 07:56 PM

That's because the high velocity pulses of the tubes exiting into the collecter create a 'draw' (Bernoulli effect) behind them felt by the adjacent tubes. If there's not a sufficient amount of downstream volume the draw "scavenging" is minimized or negated.

flowmaster theory is also related to creating a low pressure area that draws (creates a negative pressure) on the upstream pipe, the CFM flow of pumping air through a muffler tells "A" story, but not the whole story....so just like flowing an intake port...take raw CFM data with a grain of salt.

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 08:03 PM

Quote:

I think 18" give or take not very much was the magic number depending on what was less than ideal in your combo.

Kevin

Its usually in the 16"-18" range but each engine will
vary some... if you have a slip on or a bolt on extension
you can start long and make passes cutting off a 1/2"
at a time till you start to loose the 60'.. also
tweak in the jetting on each change to make sure your
in the proper tune... once you go to far then you
know the length you need... you can weld on any length
you cut off or buy new extensions... I make all my
extensions and weld them on when the job is completed ...
come spring time I'll be adding some electric dumps
to my exhaust... I'm lazy so a flip of the switch
I can reduce the back pressure
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 08:05 PM

Quote:

I did not add extensions on the 2 tests I did w/ my 440 motors.
On my hemi, I typically run a pair of 4" bullet race mufflers that I slip right onto the collectors...basically a low restriction muffled collector extension if you will. It runs basically the same w/ them or w/ open collectors. It makes a lot more power than the 440s I ran before though...the 440s would have probably benefitted from the extra collector length, whereas my hemi may not really need it.

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/04/14 08:07 PM

Quote:

That's because the high velocity pulses of the tubes exiting into the collecter create a 'draw' (Bernoulli effect) behind them felt by the adjacent tubes. If there's not a sufficient amount of downstream volume the draw "scavenging" is minimized or negated.

flowmaster theory is also related to creating a low pressure area that draws (creates a negative pressure) on the upstream pipe, the CFM flow of pumping air through a muffler tells "A" story, but not the whole story....so just like flowing an intake port...take raw CFM data with a grain of salt.

Yeah I know whats causing the increase and also the
effect from changing the lengths
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/05/14 01:00 AM

Quote:

Would it be logical to assume that a properly designed X-pipe creates the "Bernoulli effect" at the junction as well?

What is the theory behind "merge collector" styles manufactured by Lelchook, Burns, etc.?

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/05/14 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Would it be logical to assume that a properly designed X-pipe creates the "Bernoulli effect" at the junction as well?

What is the theory behind "merge collector" styles manufactured by Lelchook, Burns, etc.?

The X or H shuttles the pulse back and forth so it
doesnt really disrupt the flow... the merge if setup
proper for the engine will increase the velocity in
the primary to create a better draw on the overlap
in the cam for a better filling of the next charge
Posted By: BobR

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/05/14 10:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The merge, if done correctly, increases exhaust speed. The pinch point is a venturi. It normally takes a lot of testing to see gain but there usually is some. Look at a pro stock header.

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/05/14 10:27 PM

The merge, if done correctly, increases exhaust speed. The pinch point is a venturi. It normally takes a lot of testing to see gain but there usually is some. Look at a pro stock header.

Yeah a good merge collector has to be made to your
engine... not a generic thing or engine
Posted By: JCCuda

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/07/14 05:27 PM

Quote:

My sons mid 11 Dart picks up 2 tenths when he spaces the headers with washers over the Flow Masters.

Hey Ron what do you mean spaces the headers with washers over the flow masters?

On my Cuda with 3.5 pipes that end before the axel and flowmasters back to back with exhaust went 10.61 removed the exhaust went 10.47. it also picked up about 1 mph.

Attached picture 8030158-ACudaMoparsatEtown08.jpg
Posted By: 70Dustmite440

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/07/14 06:19 PM

I really like the hooker areo muffs deep sound and price. mine are 3" and the car was running 8's at 155.. I can't imagine they were slowing it down much but I don't know. the dinamax or whatever its called was always at the top of the list as i recall for best power.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/08/14 03:24 PM

x2 Hey Ron what do you mean spaces the headers with washers over the flow masters?..............Yes please explain this?
Posted By: 70Dustmite440

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/08/14 04:20 PM

I can answer, in case he dosnt see the question. put a few flat washers, or whatever, i used an extra set of 3/8 nuts.. between the header flange and the exhaust system to open up a gap there and let back pressure out on cars removing the entire exhaust system wasn't too easy .
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/08/14 04:54 PM

The Pinch point in a merge collector acts sort of like a check valve or more accurately a "backflow preventer"....the 4 high velocity "slugs" of header pipe exhaust are "rifle shot" past the pinch point in a merge collector and directly into a larger diameter downstream pipe, so the pinch in effect works like a check valve since the expanding ( and as a result slowing) exhaust won't very easily push back very effectively against the narrow/smaller diameter upstream pinch.

Not quite the same means of achieving the Bernoulli effect of a "conventional" header collector, but it seems to be more effective on higher RPM N/A Race motors that operate 100% of the time at RPMs above their torque peak.

Mufflers, headers/collectors, the key is all the same, trying to get that slug of spent gas out of the cylinder and past the exhaust valve as efficiently (and quickly) as possible for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE (keep the VE up) in the RPM range you want/need the motor to run in.

For a muffled true dual-purpose car the exhaust is always going to be a compromise in one way or the other (optimum sizing/routings/sound dB's/or overall weight)

Open headers with an optimum length collector is going to be as good as you can get, Guys who have it right don't drop a significant amount of ET with mufflers or without, although the tune to get there may still wind-up being a bit different.

A number of experts all told me thoughout the years (and I've found it to be true) that the first 4-6 inches of pipe past the head flange are far more important than all that happens beyond it. In a production chassis the bends required in the initial primary tubes (off the flange) are almost always a compromise.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/08/14 09:38 PM

Quote:

A number of experts all told me thoughout the years (and I've found it to be true) that the first 4-6 inches of pipe past the head flange are far more important than all that happens beyond it. In a production chassis the bends required in the initial primary tubes (off the flange) are almost always a compromise.

This is interesting, that sounds like it would make the best option fenderwell headers, which they don't make for any of us other than big block A body guys now. But everyone ran them back in the day. It'd be interesting to see the dyno results of a fenderwell vs an underchassis header of the same size and tube length on the same engine.

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/08/14 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is interesting, that sounds like it would make the best option fenderwell headers, which they don't make for any of us other than big block A body guys now. But everyone ran them back in the day. It'd be interesting to see the dyno results of a fenderwell vs an underchassis header of the same size and tube length on the same engine.

On a chassis car I always try to get 1 cyl volume
before I hit the tangent point of the first bend..
a production car thats pretty much impossible to do
so they sacrifice that part
Posted By: 383man

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/09/14 04:26 AM

Quote:

x2 Hey Ron what do you mean spaces the headers with washers over the flow masters?..............Yes please explain this?

Yes just as was said right where the 3 collector bolts bolt the collector to the header. Just take the bolts out and spread the header and collector apart and put the bolts back in with some washers in the gap on the bolts. Many guys around here did it years ago for the sound but I prefer a closed exh sound myself. But we did it with his car do see how much it slowed as we knew it had gone faster with open headers and it ran just as fast (11.40's) like this then it did with open headers. And this way you dont have to remove or hang the exh pipes out of the way. Ron
Posted By: racerx

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/09/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes just as was said right where the 3 collector bolts bolt the collector to the header. Just take the bolts out and spread the header and collector apart and put the bolts back in with some washers in the gap on the bolts. Many guys around here did it years ago for the sound but I prefer a closed exh sound myself. But we did it with his car do see how much it slowed as we knew it had gone faster with open headers and it ran just as fast (11.40's) like this then it did with open headers. And this way you dont have to remove or hang the exh pipes out of the way. Ron

Hmm.....learn something new every day,never herd this b4....

Re: Mufflers... Any E.T gain from swapping? - 02/10/14 04:10 AM

FWIW, Car picked up a little over .05 today with the exhaust cut outs opened up. That was with no change of jetting. I guess I'll have to see about some exhaust modifications to free up some more power in street trim.
© 2024 Moparts Forums