Moparts

Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ???

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/02/14 08:46 PM

When I was at the geezer gathering last weekend the new owner of 42 told me his dream was to bring fuel cars back to the legendary track.Ron is trying to buy more land around the track so he can increase the total capacity to accommodate the large haulers needed to support a big race.
I believe his plans are to honor his 3 year contract with IHRA then switch over to NHRA for some big race action
Pretty ambitious project for just a few determined but insightful businessmen
Gus

Attached picture 8023251-frontveiwsavoy.jpg
Posted By: therocks

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/02/14 09:10 PM

Gus back in the day that was a great track.Its been years since Ive been there.My old 60 Dodge D500 was a multiple trophy winner there back in the 60s.It had at least 10 stickers on the windows between me and the former owner.Rocky
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/02/14 09:24 PM

I think he may have a hard go at getting NHRA giving
him a top race... their field is full and they have
places looking to have a top race at their places all
the time
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/02/14 09:37 PM

That said Mr P at least he is going to do something with it other than collect money. I grew up at that track and race there a lot till it went 1/8 ! I hope he does something good ! I will go back !

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/02/14 10:00 PM

Quote:

That said Mr P at least he is going to do something with it other than collect money. I grew up at that track and race there a lot till it went 1/8 ! I hope he does something good ! I will go back !

Well he told me that his first concern is getting the track right and he won't reopen until it's 100%.
I like the fact that he doesn't need the gate fee for a paycheck and all the money will go back into track maintenance and qualified track crew.
We already have a few stick races on the schedule for this season and I can't wait to try out the new concrete surface that he assures me will be smooth as a pool table
Gus

Attached picture 8023394-moriaburnout.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/02/14 10:02 PM

Quote:

True... and I hope the best for him... always want to
see ANY track make it
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/03/14 10:03 PM

I can't see that track holding a NHRA National Event any time soon. Some folks complain Norwalk is out in the sticks, but West Salem is even more so. I know he has big plans for the future, but I will just be happy to see the racing surface and the facilities get better...and that horrible entrance road! I swear that road hasn't been paved since I was a kid.
Posted By: B1Frank

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/03/14 11:56 PM

I hope they do well,..i seen Shirley M ,..and Frank Bradley there in 1977,..GREAT TIME,..Frank said he was headed back to CA after the race,...Shirley had her little dog with her,..i talked to her one,on one for a half hour,...those day's are long gone !!!

Attached picture 8025287-scanooo12.jpg
Posted By: BB73Challenger

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/04/14 02:17 AM

I think an article I had read hit the nail on the head.
It all starts on making the experience as a driver and spectator better.
So all of the things they want and have started to address is the start.
Rome wasn't built in a day.
I'm very excited to see the changes as they come.
Who knows, down the road. Maybe?

Yeah the gravel ruts getting in are bad
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/04/14 04:03 PM

If he wants Nitro he might look into a nostalgia race or even an IHRA Nitro Jam.

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/05/14 07:27 PM

Quote:

If he wants Nitro he might look into a nostalgia race or even an IHRA Nitro Jam.

I would much rather see old floppers and some front engine diggers and maybe some early gassers than any current fuel cars.
Gus

Attached picture 8027726-ronniesoxcomet.jpg
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: Top Fuel cars at Dragway 42 ??? - 02/06/14 12:23 AM

Anxious to see what they put together. Very impressed that they hired Aaron to help put a plan together. That should help ease the learning curve associated with running a track and all the potential issues that may arise. Also shows their dedication to making it all work.
They definitely got alot of work planned, but it sounds like the resources are not an issue. Looking forward to the new 42!

© 2024 Moparts Forums