Moparts

Hemi99 question

Posted By: coletrickle

Hemi99 question - 01/31/14 11:31 PM

I understand that they have an appetite for valve springs.Is this just due to the crazy cam profiles?Can the valve spring life be improved with a less radical profile?
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Hemi99 question - 01/31/14 11:41 PM

Yep, they like lots of spring pressure and big cam profiles. We tried a small cam (.980ish lift, and it fell on its face, on the dyno) Be prepared to spend lots of money, if you are going to take the plunge.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 05:16 AM

We were able to get 15 ish Truck pulling runs out of our 5" 99 engine. But since were at 650ci we could run lower rpm's. 8000-9000rpm.

But with any engine at these level of hp and RPM valve spring maintenance becomes as common as checking your valve lashe.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 05:20 AM

Quote:

We were able to get 15 ish Truck pulling runs out of our 5" 99 engine. But since were at 650ci we could run lower rpm's. 8000-9000rpm.

But with any engine at these level of hp and RPM valve spring maintenance becomes as common as checking your valve lashe.

If you are thinking about a hemi 99, Diablo is selling his for .50 on the dollar. I guarantee you won't build one for anything close to what they are asking.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 06:36 AM

there was a morgan 99 block,with studs and machining mostly done for 1500 on ebay,and a new set of bare 99 unmachined pro stock heads for 795.00 obo.toss in another 25 grand and bada-bing,almost go racing
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 06:40 AM

Then add 50 grand and viola you have a complete one

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 06:42 AM

absolutely!!!! but then theres the 12 grand clutch and the trans too.although,i DID see a complete j and j 99 motor for 10 grand,1400 hp.on racinjunk,guy was hurting for money I believe,said its been sitting in his shop for a year or two,just looked and its gone...oh well,somebody got a deal.............
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 08:22 AM

We actually went an entire season on the saem exhaust springs with the 99. The intakes were good for 20ish runs as long as it stayed under 10500 rpm. They are killer pieces but very much purpose built. They take RPM to work but if you are not afraid of that they are defintely the class of the Mopar field.

Used, or experienced stuff is not as plentiful as it once was. There are things to avoid, the older two bolt heads, 5 cam blocks, so far the symetrical port stuff has not proven to be up the the older asymetric stuff. Which might explain the shortage of the later asymetric stuff lately. They are VERY heavy engines as well. The generally use spindly inards. Small rod journals and, so not much bearing and usually very thin ring pack. All this stuff leads to more power but also to a more constant need for maintenance.

We were going to run one in Top Sportsman but I recently decided to go to a new set up that we can also throw a power adder at if need be. I think in a lighter car, with big tires and a 4 or 5 speed they would be the shiznit.

There is one in Cali for sale that is 550" and built by Larry Morgan. I have seen it run and the car runs well. His asking price is .50 on the dollar. Also as previsouly pointed out here the deal Diablo has is an awesome deal. Had I not just started my new deal it would already be headed my way.

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 06:37 PM

appears to be fantastic stuff,but just like the nascar motor exotic goodies,very costly.technically,theres cheaper used sonnys motors floating around ,maybe if and when the market gets flooded,the cost of racing a 99 will become average joe accessable......
Posted By: Spyphish

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 10:11 PM

We just started yesterday. Al's help is appreciated.

Attached picture 8021759-IMG_0272.JPG
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 10:51 PM

Quote:

SS/AM?
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 10:52 PM

Are the ports the biggest issue? Too much port for the engine size such that RPM is the only way to harness it. Just curious
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 11:10 PM

Quote:

I'd love to stuff that monster in my Dart.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/01/14 11:24 PM

Quote:

hmmm Seems I've seen those valve covers.

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 01:34 AM

Thanks for the replys fellas heaps of helpful info.I'm pretty much a hobo and for the last 20 yrs all i've been able to afford is junk stroker vws(fastest daily in oz)I'm sure it will see me broke going down this route but fun and fast.Im gonna have more questions from the above info .I'd be happy with 800 hp,i know that can be acheived other ways but lets say i know a dude.I'll get back here later today gotta busy sunday morning.thanks again guys.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 02:50 AM

Work with someone who has experience with Pro Stock or Super Stock/ Comp Eliminator engines if you can. An engine like this will have a steep learning curve learning it yourself. There are a lot of tricks that go into an engine of this caliber, things generally just not known by builders with experience in more conventional builds.
Posted By: 7sec.cuda

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 03:21 AM

Quote:

Then add 50 grand and viola you have a complete one

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 07:33 AM

Al,whats the problems associated with the 2 bolt heads and 5cam block(5cam bearings im guessing?),

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 07:42 AM

Quote:

Yep, they like lots of spring pressure and big cam profiles. We tried a small cam (.980ish lift, and it fell on its face, on the dyno) Be prepared to spend lots of money, if you are going to take the plunge.

Whem you say fell on its face,how much power did it make?And was it pretty much prostock spec with a smaller cam?

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 07:54 AM

Quote:

Work with someone who has experience with Pro Stock or Super Stock/ Comp Eliminator engines if you can. An engine like this will have a steep learning curve learning it yourself. There are a lot of tricks that go into an engine of this caliber, things generally just not known by builders with experience in more conventional builds.

Yep thats what im doing my mate has a pretty good idea what hes doing.He's got a lot of experience in alot of diffrent class's.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 05:08 PM

Quote:

Al,whats the problems associated with the 2 bolt heads and 5cam block(5cam bearings im guessing?),

It was mostly about the engine wanting to get up in the 10k rpm range and the rocker pedestals couldn't hold or they would start to twist. Same thing with the cam bearings to much pressure at that high of rpm. Supposedly the 3 bolt heads were good up to 10k and then they made the 5 bolts to start running past the 10k mark.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 08:46 PM

Could the ports be epoxied down in size so it's not so RPM happy? I think the HEMI 99 heads flow 600-650 cfm? I know it would limit all out power but good power could be made with say ONLY 525 cfm ish I'm sure.

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/02/14 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It was mostly about the engine wanting to get up in the 10k rpm range and the rocker pedestals couldn't hold or they would start to twist. Same thing with the cam bearings to much pressure at that high of rpm. Supposedly the 3 bolt heads were good up to 10k and then they made the 5 bolts to start running past the 10k mark.

This is very good info,i'm not sure what hemi99 stuff ive got to work with yet till I get over there just tryig to do as much homework before i arive.My mate is very busy amd i don't want to constantly bug atm.To all the above posters your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.Getting real exciited about this project thanks again guys!
Posted By: 105630

Re: Hemi99 question - 02/03/14 01:46 AM

I was the guy on Racingjunk with the 99 hemi for sale ,wasn't hurting for money at all ,just don't have a use for it.I had lots of dreamer types and tire kickers every day thinking they could put it in a car and drive it every day and I just wasn't going to sell it to someone with no clue and have them bash my name and run me in the dirt over it.This engine has a purpose it was designed with,When I got it ,I bought it for the head technology .I want a 550-560 cubic motor with these heads for a blown application.The drawn back was the engine block weight not being aluminum cause alot of nose weight my car which must run stock firewall. Second drawback was having a one off engine with no not your every day spare parts. In the end I went with a Brad hemi cause of parts and weight. Do I believe this engine would be an animal ,no doubt just look at what Marty's smallblock version of a 99 has done with just one turbo and a short time at the track.I believe that if an affordable aluminum block was available and not have to buy a billet one off $11,000 block,I would have still built it.Since I was spending 11,000 it was going to be something ready available that I can pick up the phone and get in a short matter of time along with heads ,cams and such.

Attached picture 8023878-motor232.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums