Moparts

Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber??

Posted By: cudadoug

Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 12:14 AM

Just what the title says, poly or rubber rebuild kits. 75% street, but I would think the poly stuff would be too stiff therefore hindering weight transfer.

Discuss.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 12:42 AM

I went from Poly to hiem joints and will never go back. RMS tube uppers and strut rods. The only bushing I have in the front is poly and its in the lower control arm. Rides better on the road and leaves much better on the track.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 12:57 AM

Have always been told you want rubber up front as opposed to poly since it is supposed to be less stiff and allow freer and smoother movement
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 01:04 AM

Quote:

I went from Poly to hiem joints and will never go back. RMS tube uppers and strut rods. The only bushing I have in the front is poly and its in the lower control arm. Rides better on the road and leaves much better on the track.

This is my set up as well.
RMS uppers,
stock lowers with Poly bushings
QA1 strut rods

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 01:15 AM

Oh yea, I left out...OE everything up front. No tube control arms, etc.
Posted By: topside

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 01:31 AM

One of the old tricks was to use bearings in the control arms for free movement, but that wouldn't be good for a street car.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 02:48 AM

Looks like these would work. Possibly these upper and a lower rubber if you were concerned with the ride.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Control-Arm-Bushing-wcg.html
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 03:21 AM

Quote:

X3

Although mine is a Magnumforce unit. My uppers are poly, but all the rest are heim's and I would not hesitate to go that rout for any street car. A little maintenance now and then, and your good to go..
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 04:16 AM

I got rubber in the lower control arms, the rest of it is being changed over the winter to some stuff my buddy and I are making and is all heim mounted.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 04:47 AM

I used poly in my old Duster and had the weight transfer issue.....so....I took it apart again and broke out some sand paper and took a hair off the bushings and coated them with grease. Worked great after that..
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 06:13 AM

Stock suspension and poly here.............
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 06:28 AM

Quote:

Same here, but greased
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 07:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Same here, but greased

I knew it.............no wonder my car doesn`t hook...........NO GREASE............
Posted By: Von

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 07:14 AM

Quote:

X4. But, I have rubber lowers.

The guy at RMS said to use rubber.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 08:13 AM

Basically all stock on mine. I did not go with the poly as its all rubber and stock suspension. I may consider changing to poly if I hear enough good about it that it would be worth it for me. Ron

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 08:22 AM

Thanks guys...good info as usual. Funny though...as if right on cue my buddy stopped by tonight with his 73 cuda. He just redid the front end last month with poly parts. After about 200 miles it has developed a loud and annoying squeeeek coming from both side's upper control arms.

Decisions decisions...
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 11:04 AM

Poly on my car, but it also goes around corners

I'm sure the car would hook better and be quicker if I took the sway bars off and changed the handling T-Bars to something smaller.
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 03:43 PM

So has anybody tried the nylon LCA bushings as opposed to urethane?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 04:17 PM

Went 1.32 with all poly and all stock front end.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 04:44 PM

All stock rubber here.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/28/14 08:31 PM

All rubber on my street/strip Dart, it's been 1.38 60'. Would like to have tubular uppers and adjustable strut rods though.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/29/14 03:28 AM

No question - POLY.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/29/14 03:43 AM

All stock front with rubber best 60'1.28
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/29/14 08:44 PM

Since your 75% street I would stay with rubber. I switched my 69 Bee to poly five years ago and don't like it on the street. I'm going back to rubber. I never had alignment issues with rubber. I had to have it aligned twice so far with the poly in it and it needs aligning again. 100% strip poly.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/29/14 10:41 PM

Quote:

Since your 75% street I would stay with rubber. I switched my 69 Bee to poly five years ago and don't like it on the street. I'm going back to rubber. I never had alignment issues with rubber. I had to have it aligned twice so far with the poly in it and it needs aligning again. 100% strip poly.

Rubber does cover up many alignment ill's.
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/30/14 04:32 AM

So nobody has any experience with Nylon/teflon LCA bushings VS poly?
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/30/14 07:40 PM

What is the final word on this? None of the answers seem to be in agreeance, which style will allow for the best weight transfer between poly and rubber?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/30/14 08:51 PM

I have poly up front on mine. I just made sure my UCA bushings move freely to get weight transfer. They tend to be tight.
Been 1.320 sixty foot w/ Cal-Tracs on radials.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/31/14 01:15 AM

Quote:

I'm using Delrin (nylon), poly is, IMo only a short term improvement over rubber, before it craps out, it really has, again IMo, a short useful life, and that that bothers me, as it has little warning before failure. I'm making my own Delrin to replace poly where I can.

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/31/14 02:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm using Delrin (nylon), poly is, IMo only a short term improvement over rubber, before it craps out, it really has, again IMo, a short useful life, and that that bothers me, as it has little warning before failure. I'm making my own Delrin to replace poly where I can.

So I am assuming you're making ALL of your nylon stuff, right? I don't find where nylon is available for Mopars and no user feedback anywhere, either.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/31/14 02:56 AM

Quote:

What is the final word on this? None of the answers seem to be in agreeance, which style will allow for the best weight transfer between poly and rubber?

Heim joints are the best. But it looks like either will work and the poly lasts longer and is stiffer for better handling. I have had energy suspension bushings in my car for ten years with no problems, so I would go that route.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/31/14 03:04 AM

Quote:

There is no ONE answer for every car. The more power the car has, the less it has to rely on pitch rotation to make the car work, so a loosey goosey front with lots of travel is not needed.

One of the BIGGEST problems guys have now making their cars work, is that the fronts are TOO loose. They still think all that stuff that needed to be done in the 60s to make cars work on junk tracks, with junk tires, still applys today.......Not the case

Monte
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/31/14 04:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is no ONE answer for every car. The more power the car has, the less it has to rely on pitch rotation to make the car work, so a loosey goosey front with lots of travel is not needed.

One of the BIGGEST problems guys have now making their cars work, is that the fronts are TOO loose. They still think all that stuff that needed to be done in the 60s to make cars work on junk tracks, with junk tires, still applys today.......Not the case

Monte

Fair enough, whats the best guess on a mid 11 second 3800 lb 4 speed B body? Super Stock springs with 318 T bars
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/31/14 05:01 AM

Quote:

Monte

I'll take too loose and slow it down with shocks as opposed to too tight.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Street/strip guys: Front ends...poly or rubber?? - 01/31/14 12:44 PM

I used poly and I did what and old racer told me to do . Grease it very good and use nylon loc nuts on cam bolts. After you get it aligned just do a couple of spot welds on the cam just to lock em on place but in a easy spot if you need to grind em out . Now loosen up cam bolt just enough to let the arm move free Works like a charm.
© 2024 Moparts Forums