Moparts

Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car

Posted By: nss guy

Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 04:22 AM

What's that like?
Any advantage for a transbrake car same weight have over a foot brake car on a .500 Pro Tree if any?
Just curious
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 12:42 PM

How quick will the car react...Its more Hp/torque dependant, than trans brake dependant. Large stroke big block won't have a problem on either.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 01:20 PM

if you can cut a light on a regular .5 tree it shouldn't be a problem you just have to be ready.
Posted By: MFR426

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 01:26 PM

Jim,

For what it's worth, we did some Super Street racing a few years ago with the Dodge (Ladder bar) and then the Plymouth (CalTracs). My brother and nephew's car is run all the time in S/ST and we like to go with them. The best this old man could do was in the high 20's and mostly 30's for reaction times with the Dodge. The Plymouth does not react as fast and Brian was mainly in the 40's. Our cars do not 60 foot good so you may do much better but we could give those electronic cars a scare once in awhile! The best I did was third round at an NHRA Divisional and I did win one round at a National event. I think you will not have any problems since everyone else will be in the same boat. Assume you are talking about the one series that is doing NSS with the .500 Pro tree.
Good Luck this year!

Mfr426
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 02:59 PM

My car worked really well with a .500 pro tree. We had 7.0 and 11.0 indexes out here a few years back, and as long as I rolled my car in a little deep (not putting out the top bulb) I would get lights in the 20's foot braking.
Posted By: JLaSalle

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 05:37 PM

Quote:

if you can cut a light on a regular .5 tree it shouldn't be a problem you just have to be ready.

Little bit of a difference though switching from full tree to pro tree due to the fact that your not anticipating the bulb.I saw about .03 slower light going from full tree to pro tree.You don't think your anticipating on a full tree, but you are.

To the op, I would say crank up your launch rpm if possible and BE READY.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 05:47 PM

In my experience if your car leaves hard you will find yourself red lighting on a 500 pro tree quite often especially if you run a brake!
Foot braking should help some but could still be a problem if you stage too deep As an example Pro stock cars and bikes would red light every time if the ran a 500 tree instead of a 400 tree
Mike
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 05:56 PM

Well IF Pro Stock cars and bikes ran on a .400 tree they would still be way red. A National Event pro tree is .370 not .400. It was done specifically for those two classes. But everyone running a .400 pro tree at a national gets the same .370 tree. Meaning s/g and s/c also use this tree at national events.

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 06:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Little bit of a difference though switching from full tree to pro tree due to the fact that your not anticipating the bulb.I saw about .03 slower light going from full tree to pro tree.You don't think your anticipating on a full tree, but you are.

To the op, I would say crank up your launch rpm if possible and BE READY.

a good racer doesn't anticipate the tree. my lights were exactly the same going from regular to pro tree
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 07:02 PM

I always watched just the bottom bulb on a Sportsman tree, so a .500 Pro tree was exactly the same for me.

I was consistently .480 red on it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 08:11 PM

Quote:

What's that like?
Any advantage for a transbrake car same weight have over a foot brake car on a .500 Pro Tree if any?
Just curious

My Duster and me could cut .0103 to .620 on any given day foot brake in Pro on the sportsman tree In all seriousenes(SP?), the driver has to control the car, with a trans brake button or foot braking, correct? I use to run a car in Division 7 when we used a .400 Pro Tree in both Pro bracket and S/ST That car 1970 Duster(ladder bar rear suspension, stock front suspension with a lot of front travel) would react better foot braking than it would with a older Trans Brake The rear suspension can and will affect the reation times, so the car, driver and the front and rear suspension have a lot to do with the results

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 08:11 PM

Well just fyi 67rt is about as good a racer as you will find out there. I have found pretty much the same as he has which is why I struggle on the full tree racing with no box.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 08:28 PM

Quote:

What's that like?
Just curious

Yea, Jim we are screwed next to transbrake guys. Looking at just the bottom bulb than going to a .500 pro is a different animal. We can do it, just not as consistant as the tranny brake guys will.

Casey
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 08:31 PM

If this is in reference to the BGRCS races the NSS class is footbrake only.

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/24/14 11:27 PM

Quote:

Well just fyi 67rt is about as good a racer as you will find out there. I have found pretty much the same as he has which is why I struggle on the full tree racing with no box.

thats because you anticipate I bet it's hard to go from a top bulb to bottom bulb not doing it on a regular basis. it was easier for me to go to top bulb from bottom.

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 12:19 AM

I know why I struggle. Even with the blinder you can see the tree coming down. To be honest I focus on pro tree stuff not much of anything else.

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 12:39 AM

Quote:

I know why I struggle. Even with the blinder you can see the tree coming down. To be honest I focus on pro tree stuff not much of anything else.

I understand, that is the same problem everyone has. I considered myself a very good footbrake racer back before delay boxes were thought about. and became a good box racer once I switched. now going back to the bottom bulb was good at times but not as consistent as I was. it just takes seat time to overcome either.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 12:59 AM

Quote:

If this is in reference to the BGRCS races the NSS class is footbrake only.

.... oh really.... I did not know this.

Casey
Posted By: dvw

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What's that like?
Just curious

Yea, Jim we are screwed next to transbrake guys. Looking at just the bottom bulb than going to a .500 pro is a different animal. We can do it, just not as consistant as the tranny brake guys will.

Casey

I raced both of you. There's a lot of trans brake cars I'd rather face
Doug
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 03:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's that like?
Just curious

Casey

Doug

Not so much the transbrake deal, it's the pro tree that's staggered for different dial ins

Lot's of good advice: roll in a little deep, BE Ready.

The car in the other lane dial is 2 tenth's slower, you're on the converter ready for the "flash" to leave...... oops that was his flash not yours and you flinched.

How many people race on a staggered pro tree?

Al? Quicktree? 67/rt, mfr?
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 04:25 AM

I have run a pro tree staggered start in the past. I handled it just like normal full tree and stared into the third amber and when it lit I left. I did this also since I was running two classes and one was full tree one was pro. This race I was foot raking with my roadrunner.

Also did pro tree staggered with my 19 second ranger 15 years ago. Rolled deep took a bump and smashed it. Couldn't red light unless I rolled through. Lol. My best hit deep, with a bump in the truck was like a 40. I remember that race cause I made it to the finals with the truck and tried to bump twice after deep and turned the bottom light out.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 05:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's that like?
Just curious

Casey

Doug

Not so much the transbrake deal, it's the pro tree that's staggered for different dial ins

The car in the other lane dial is 2 tenth's slower, you're on the converter ready for the "flash" to leave...... oops that was his flash not yours and you flinched.

NSCA ran a .500 pro tree in N/SS for one season. A lot of guys were slow. I believe that's because they follow the tree down. I don't,it didn't seem to bother me much.
Doug

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 05:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's that like?
Just curious

Casey

Doug

I have a few times, just see it as a top bulb race. be set on kill. hopefully there will be blinders so you don't have to see the other side.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Foot braking on a .500 Pro Tree w/3400lb car - 01/25/14 05:56 AM

For me it's not as easy as everyone says when you are used to a full tree. Also I am convinced that either a lighter car or one of the faster AFX cars that react quicker have an advantage. Do I like it --- no but I also don't like the freedom of the NSS rules in this race either but I will be there to race and support the event!!!

Glad to see we have choices and places to race and be with our friends.

Russ
© 2024 Moparts Forums