Moparts

Nick Bowman Top End Magic

Posted By: MrMopar95

Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/23/14 05:56 PM

just goofing around with some video editing...
what do u think? more like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBD8qh_qbk&feature=youtu.be <-- You tube link

Attached picture 8008740-1383531_673064252704062_1076322700_n.jpg
Posted By: moparlulu

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/25/14 08:16 AM

If you were to hit the brakes out here at firebird (boise) that hard.You would be finished for the day......just saying.
Posted By: onig

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/25/14 03:59 PM

Man, you spend more time looking to the side than looking where you are going.
Looks like you are a trickster and playing games.
Why not just run your race.
Just asking.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/25/14 04:08 PM

Quote:

Just asking.

Have you ever won super pro with a 14 second car? If memory serves me correct Nick has.I agree the smoke was a little on the edge.
Doug
Posted By: cgall

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/25/14 04:20 PM

Dang Nick that makes my neck hurt watching that! There are lots of guys around here that smoke a little on the top end, it is frowned upon but not enforced.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/25/14 04:26 PM

seat belts hanging off to the side, locking the brakes on the big end. great job
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/25/14 11:24 PM

Crazy
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/25/14 11:59 PM

Aahhh one of those drivers...bet you have lost more races goofing around like that than you probably would have if you just dialed the car and raced your own side of the track...I get guys like that all the time in the other lane...Guess who ended up in the winners circle....

To each their own..
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 12:20 AM

Nick. A lot of these guys will never get it!!!!!!! But it's fun to laugh at their responses! Cut a light. Dial it tight. Run that pig out the back!
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 12:26 AM

magic?it that what you call it

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 01:21 AM

Quote:

Nick. A lot of these guys will never get it!!!!!!! But it's fun to laugh at their responses! Cut a light. Dial it tight. Run that pig out the back!

so you condone locking the brakes up on the big end and coming out of the seat belts?
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 02:47 AM

I know that may be tough to watch but I guarantee you the best bracket racers in the nation manage the stripe just like that, or close to it...get it in high gear and turn around and look for the opponent, I raced with Scotty Richardaon, his brother Edmond, Luke Bogaki, Tommy Phillips, both the Heffler brothers and if you think they are not turning around in the seat looking for you would be sadly mistaken...yes, if you kill the tree and tight dial (and can run it) you will be tough to beat...however...most serious bracket racers are "carrying" a few and WILL be turning around looking to see where you are so they can kill a few...if you are tight and on your dial you got 'em but...I won a couple of championships and alot of money turning around in the seat of my dragster and judging the opponent...there is an art to driving the stripe, when I started bracket racing I was a tight dialer, when I started winning I loosened the dial and started driving the stripe...just sayin, is there a right way or a wrong way maybe not, you just learn what it takes to win...imho.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 04:47 AM

I run a lot of tight dialers. If they hit it dead on and cut a great light they'll be tough to beat. On the other hand if I cut a light and take a narrow stripe I'm tough to beat. Had a guy tell me I was lucky when I beat him by .01 this year. I'll just let him keep thinking that.
Doug

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 04:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

so you condone locking the brakes up on the big end and coming out of the seat belts?

Haha I don't think I said anything about that did I. I am referring to finish line racing vs guys who make time runs every round.
Posted By: BigFish69

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 05:18 AM

Posted By: Sammy

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 05:30 AM

Very animated to say the least.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 05:53 AM

I'll just say regardless of how he drives I guarantee he has gone more rounds than most of the racers on this board....myself included.
Posted By: JLaSalle

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 08:19 AM

Quote:

Just asking.

Are you the guy who breaks out as your opponent is sitting broke 5 ft off the line?
I can't count how many times I've seen that.Baffles me every time.

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 11:23 AM

Quote:

I'll just say regardless of how he drives I guarantee he has gone more rounds than most of the racers on this board....myself included.

so what, it's not about winning or being good. you want to race him locking up the brakes on you? wish I have the video of someone I knew here hitting the wall at the stripe doing that.
Posted By: JLaSalle

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

so what, it's not about winning or being good. you want to race him locking up the brakes on you? wish I have the video of someone I knew here hitting the wall at the stripe doing that.

I'm sure Nick would say he got a little excited there and wishes it didn't happen and will hopefully learn from it.I don't know him personally so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here instead of jumping him.That happened to me once at the end of the quarter and honestly scared me a little so needless to say it never came close to happening again.

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 04:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure Nick would say he got a little excited there and wishes it didn't happen and will hopefully learn from it.I don't know him personally so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here instead of jumping him.That happened to me once at the end of the quarter and honestly scared me a little so needless to say it never came close to happening again.

could be I guess, I just see a pattern with seat belts and lack of safety. there is a car in the other lane he should be thinking about.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 06:09 PM

Quote:

LOL I agree if you don't smoke the fronts a couple times a year your probably not winning many races FYI the NHRA rule book states you are to be given a warning before being thrown out for excessive braking....
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL I agree if you don't smoke the fronts a couple times a year your probably not winning many races FYI the NHRA rule book states you are to be given a warning before being thrown out for excessive braking....

It dangerous though, and although I know to win, you must drive the finish line, there are ways to do it safer. Also, I don't think he meant to do that.

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

a lot of tracks will throw you out first time for smoking the tires. it is dangerous whether it is not intentional or deliberate.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 07:04 PM

There are 2 peddals and I can use them both at the stripe? (ha ha) Looks like you are having fun.

Thanks for shaking this site up a little.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 07:15 PM

That kind of screwing around doesnt scare me half as much as a soccer mom in a 5000 lb SUV with eyes on her phone going 80. But you pass them within inches everyday.
Posted By: prochamp

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 08:19 PM

hi nick,i agree you should have your belts on tighter cause ya never know when sh!t happens,especially when locken'em up.other than that I don't see anything new here.drive on brother.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 09:07 PM

Nick, Nick your our man, you can't do it nobody can. Goooo Nick.
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 11:18 PM

I've never met Nick and he's probably a good guy but these type of things are why we now have a $200 collector tether rule. If you don't take safety into your own hands big brother will and everyone will complain about new rules and how they can't afford to race anymore.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/26/14 11:24 PM

Isn't Nick the young fella we had to convince to wear a helmet some time ago?
Posted By: GY3

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 01:55 AM

Two time track champ and some of you are grousing like a bunch of old women....
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 02:11 AM

I won't comment on Nick's wild driving style but Nick is a friend and good guy and comes from a great mopar racing family.We have raced for years with Nick, his dad,uncles and even his sister.The Bowman family are some of the toughest competition at any race.Good luck this year Nick and be safe
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 02:48 AM

Another heavy hitter at PRP - AJ working the top end......

Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 04:37 AM

When you race against good racers that know how to drive the big end, dialing tight and trying to kill the tree works maybe 20% of the time. Anything goes wrong, and you're done. That's why racers have so many excuses. You won't see any smoke out of either of my cars at the top end but I can tell you that I'll at least be able to put myself in a position to win the round whether I was a bit late, it spun, whatever. The people that win the big races, the names you are all familiar with...they all understand that this is not so much racing as it is a big numbers game. A good driver can coach you into making a bigger mistake on the big end than he did on the starting line, or get inside a package that would have been hard to do by dialing hard. Heck, I've won whole events without even once taking the stripe. Just worked out that way, and I'll be the first to say my driving abilities don't hold a candle to the "hitters." I'm not saying lock them up or do something unsafe, but if you're looking straight ahead, be ready for someone like Nick to eat your lunch.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 04:55 AM

Quote:

Two time track champ and some of you are grousing like a bunch of old women....

Who you calling an old woman..I have one track championship. How many do you have? Jerk.

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 05:15 AM

starting to get some feedback here I see, thanks to everyone with kind words.

Quicktree, I just want you to know my dial is located on the windshield its been 11.5 and slower which allows lapbelt only, may not be a safe decision but its my decision and its legal. Sorry you feel my driving is incorrect.

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 11:00 AM

Quote:

Quicktree, I just want you to know my dial is located on the windshield its been 11.5 and slower which allows lapbelt only, may not be a safe decision but its my decision and its legal. Sorry you feel my driving is incorrect.

to be honest your seat belts don't bother me half as much as you locking the brakes. I don't want to see anything happen to you so don't get me wrong. you want to race with a lap belt thats your ass, but locking the brakes puts the other car at risk. BE CAREFUL an 11 second car can kill you.

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 02:12 PM

I understand what your getting at and thanks for your concern but the car goes straight as an arrow when the fronts are locked up. I have expensive components that are maintained I am confident that myself and my opponent are safe. Some cars just aren't good for doing this, i have learned that by driving other peoples race cars. Even with excellent components and suspension some cars just aren't safe hitting the brakes that hard. Mine on the other hand does not get loose with the new Disk Brakes. Im just saying, watch me do it, there might be a cloud of smoke but i am never warned for getting dangerous or loose in my car. I will have to post a video for your later, and listen to the announcer after i smoke them...
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 04:06 PM

Be Double O, Take Double O. Some of you guys really need to expand your racing experience and not just be a local guy.. go to a few big money races and just watch..
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 04:10 PM

Just curious, how do you keep tires balanced/not shaking, etc when they are flat-spotted from this treatment?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 04:57 PM

Quote:

Be Double O, Take Double O. Some of you guys really need to expand your racing experience and not just be a local guy.. go to a few big money races and just watch..

Come on down...If you think you got somthing I haven't seen....

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 05:05 PM

Guys that hold numbers are easy to beat they say. Cut a better light and run the number they say. Oh you can do that 6-8x once or twice a year? Lol
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 05:05 PM

Quote:

Good Job Nick......Really enjoyed the video....Best of luck this season....Scotty Richardson would be proud

Whomp Whomp Whomp

Rickster
Posted By: Bob_Spelic

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 07:02 PM

Nick is one of the best racers out there. Like has been said before, nick is a feared competitor, foot braking in TOP is easy for this dude.

If you are not looking, your just running a time run, your not racing.

Bob Spelic

Attached picture 8013860-unertakeratPRP.jpg
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 07:20 PM

Nice Video Nick.

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 07:49 PM

Quote:

Just curious, how do you keep tires balanced/not shaking, etc when they are flat-spotted from this treatment?

Chapper- the first thing is that i bought radial tires for the front that WONT flat spot nearly as easy as a drag front would, almost takes years unless the tires dry out, my car is garage kept so that wont happen. the second thing is maintenance, i will have my balance checked on the fronts 2-3 times a year to be sure, this year i did it twice and only 1 of the two times was it off at all, a small margain the 2nd time they were checked, the first time they were still dead on... i have never noticed shaking ever. I have double adjustable control arms which should also be checked, alignment may not stay perfect after so many parks... with proper tools and my dads experience i am able to keep the front end in shape all year. Car comes home and in to the shop almost every week to be checked. I also test heavy braking on raceday to be sure everything sounds/feels good prior to going down the racetrack.

thanks again to everyone chiming in with nice things to say.

Any other ?'s
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic. - 01/27/14 07:56 PM

Nick has done a pretty good job of keeping the race forum
informed. Hopefully he will receive all the recognition and praise he feels he deserves.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 08:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on down...If you think you got somthing I haven't seen....

Wish I could travel farther.
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/27/14 08:39 PM

Watching you pedal that sucker makes me cringe! I'd rather scrub the brakes a tad than thump that sucker 4 or 5 times. Nice job driving. If you ain't lookin, you ain't racin!

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/28/14 12:39 AM

Quote:

Watching you pedal that sucker makes me cringe! I'd rather scrub the brakes a tad than thump that sucker 4 or 5 times. Nice job driving. If you ain't lookin, you ain't racin!

Believe me my dad hates the WHOMP WHOMP too and he showed me the crank clearance of my blown up crate engine, has ALOT of play when it should be typically .003 (he said thats the WHOMP WHOMP causing that LoL)

I used to be a pedal scrubber and i still am sometimes i scrub sometimes i whomp sometimes i do both at the same time you just cant tell in the video but i find myself whomping more often it makes it easier to determine how much ET i have killed.
Posted By: whiskeyrunner

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/28/14 05:37 AM

i guess no one would approve of the way i race either then nick hahah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUwJO_TZ7c

haters gonna hate...and load up sooner than we do! DUSTER CREW!
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/28/14 05:56 AM

Quote:

Why is the smoke only after the finish line?

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/28/14 07:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The after dump lol

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/28/14 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Late park on the cone probably, or holding it down till absolutely sure that the race is over LoL
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/28/14 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The after dump lol

Only slightly less insulting than the after whomp lol...

Nice driving Nick!
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/28/14 08:26 PM

HAHA

Love it.. Whompin aint easy!

Casey
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/29/14 03:09 PM

Just be the faster car then you don't have to worry about all that turning around and crap.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/29/14 05:10 PM

Quote:

Just be the faster car then you don't have to worry about all that turning around and crap.

Doesn't matter how fast you are....you still need a ball bearing neck at the top end....

Rickster

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/29/14 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't matter how fast you are....you still need a ball bearing neck at the top end....

Rickster

Sure you still need to drive the stripe but it's much easier when the race is in front of you instead of behind you. Much easier to judge too.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/29/14 07:51 PM

Quote:

Well thats easier said than done. He races against dragsters too...

Casey

Re: Nick Bowman Top End Magic - 01/29/14 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well thats easier said than done. He races against dragsters too...

Casey

Yeah I know, pick your class and build your car to run at the bottom of it. I won a lot of races and a track championship running in the 10 flat and up foot brake class.
© 2024 Moparts Forums