Moparts

Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered

Posted By: MoParFish

Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/16/14 06:59 AM

Just thought I'd post a couple pics of the header collector tethers I got in the mail today. It's been quite a subject over the last few months huh? Got'em from www.collector-cable.com Ordered online, got 'em fast. I ordered the $59.00 economy version but is still NHRA approved. I wasn't looking forward to spending $200.00 on a set so was glad when I saw another post on here listing them as an option.

Attached picture 7999625-tether20.jpg

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/16/14 07:03 AM

another

Attached picture 7999628-tether212.jpg
Posted By: wesw

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/16/14 10:27 AM

thanks for the info. going to order some Friday for my car.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/16/14 11:14 AM

Those are the ones I ordered.. Best price..

Don't need anything fancy because I STILL have my bolts in too..

Was going to weld the stitch, but my headers are coated..

Also Jok Nicholson is a good dude..

Chris..
Posted By: dvw

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/17/14 06:15 AM

Since obviously we're all hacks and never check our collector bolts,who is going to check the tether bolts for us? I'm personally gearing up to install bumper,door,hood tethers as well.
Doug
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/17/14 06:22 AM

They should require them for hoods, I have seen a few collectors come off over the years but I have also seen a lot more hoods fly up in the air. But then if they can't remember to put in the hood pins they wouldn't attach the cable either.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/17/14 07:08 AM

Well if you want to play in their playground they get to make the rules. It is what it is bit#h all ya want.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/17/14 07:09 AM

On my car there are tabs welded to the 2" header tubes and tabs welded to my collectors. They have holes to be able to secure the 2 together. With the bolt and nut tight, why do you have to spend money on tethers? Sounds political to me.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/17/14 03:55 PM

Quote:

On my car there are tabs welded to the 2" header tubes and tabs welded to my collectors. They have holes to be able to secure the 2 together. With the bolt and nut tight, why do you have to spend money on tethers? Sounds political to me.

You don't...... if you weld them!
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/17/14 05:07 PM

Quote:

Its simple really, insurance liability control. Every safety standard helps maintain insurance costs and limit liable damages accrued to the policy holder(NHRA). I bet those few incidents where people were injured by collectors coming off caused insurance to go up or created a policy change. Therefore a safety regulation was mandated. Just my .02
Posted By: dvw

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/18/14 02:34 AM

Quote:

Well if you want to play in their playground they get to make the rules. It is what it is bit#h all ya want.

I agree with you 100%. It's just getting harder and harder for the average guy to afford to race. My stuff is and will be 100% legal. Anything can fall off the car if it's loose. I've seen more hoods, wheels and doors come off than collectors. That was my point. A new cert every 3 years? Did my car rust out? New belts every 2 years that haven't seen 60 days of sun shine? Yet when I show up at the track most times they don't even care if I remove the hood, heaven forbid they bend over and look underneath the car. Just my 2 cents. I'll have my teathers as you can't remove my headers w/o taking the collectors off.
Doug
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/18/14 04:54 AM

the need to offer an AFTER TETHER,in case the first tether comes loose.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/18/14 06:56 PM

Some years ago there was a horrible accident at the Phoenix race with Antron Brown's fuel dragster when it lost a wheel at the starting line and flung it into the stands. A spectator was killed. Anyone besides me remember that? How do you put a tether on a wheel?
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/19/14 01:28 AM

I will be very surprised if anyone even checks my collectors when inspecting my car. I have always had tethers........ Thay are called BOLTS! I love how it costs ALL of us for a FEW racers mistakes and tech inspectors that are not doing what they are paid to do. Just my 2 cents that I should spend on new tethers. Beep

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/19/14 05:23 AM

Well, got em installed. Please ignore my ugly a$$ headers. Also, for what it's worth, I have had a tab come off before. The tab, weld and bolt were fine but, it broke the tubing out on the collector side from vibration and/or heat cycles These Hooker Super Comps are thin

Attached picture 8003214-rsz_20140118_154155.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/19/14 06:32 PM

Header Tether Requirement Clarification
http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...836&zoneid=132

For the 2014 season and beyond, NHRA has made the following requirement:
All removable multipiece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether or a minimum ½” (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition.
After much discussion on the topic, it has been decided that on cars with a complete exhaust system (including but not limited to mufflers, hangers, flanges, etc.) that are securely attached to the vehicle, header tethers will not be required. All other exhaust systems must conform to the rule as written. The current 2014 rulebook will be amended to reflect this change.
HisPony is offline Report Post Reply With Quote
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/19/14 06:34 PM

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=57836&zoneid=132
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/21/14 03:31 AM

Question...my collectors on my TTi headers are welded on...but I bolt on a 1 ft extension...does the extension need a tether?,,,,...

and do i need a tether to hold the headers on, since they are bolt on too?
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/21/14 03:37 AM

maybe next year nhra will require the whole car to be shrink wrapped........
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/21/14 02:53 PM

I spoke with Jok yesterday. They have been selling quite a few of these. What bothers me is the cost of getting your car prepped every year. Even though I can't drive it,we still have to have it ready to go. Then again...Maybe it will remain parked for 2014. Too early to tell yet..
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Got my header collector cables today - $59.00 delivered - 01/21/14 09:30 PM

Quote:

Question...my collectors on my TTi headers are welded on...but I bolt on a 1 ft extension...does the extension need a tether?,,,,...

and do i need a tether to hold the headers on, since they are bolt on too?

Emailed Jok last night..and yes the collector extension needs to be tether either to the a primary tube or the welded on collector...

I guess I could just remove the extensions...or weld them on too..

3 cars x 60 bucks...

unbelievable...LOL
© 2024 Moparts Forums