Moparts

what makes the new hemi cars so fast

Posted By: moparmafia

what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/15/14 09:18 PM

I have an srt8 challenger and my mom has a hemi 300 and i am just amazed how fast they are for a stock vehicle. I remember back when my 68 383 roadrunner was basically stock and this heavier car with smaller engine would eat it alive. every time i drive it i keep saying this thing cant be stock and i was curious is it the head flow they have now or is it the efficiency of new engines now or is it just a comination of many things
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/15/14 10:05 PM

I would say 40 plus years of technology advancement!
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/15/14 10:15 PM

Quote:

I have an srt8 challenger and my mom has a hemi 300 and i am just amazed how fast they are for a stock vehicle. I remember back when my 68 383 roadrunner was basically stock and this heavier car with smaller engine would eat it alive. every time i drive it i keep saying this thing cant be stock and i was curious is it the head flow they have now or is it the efficiency of new engines now or is it just a comination of many things

It's gotta be voodoo, baby!

Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/15/14 10:30 PM

Quote:

I have an srt8 challenger and my mom has a hemi 300 and i am just amazed how fast they are for a stock vehicle. I remember back when my 68 383 roadrunner was basically stock and this heavier car with smaller engine would eat it alive. every time i drive it i keep saying this thing cant be stock and i was curious is it the head flow they have now or is it the efficiency of new engines] now or is it just a comination of many things

This pretty much sums it up. An engine is only an air pump. Pump MORE air, do it MORE efficiently, you make MORE power. Pretty basic.

Monte
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/15/14 11:49 PM

Transmissions are also much better... Research the DCT transmissions. Automatics are now faster than standards!
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 04:47 AM

mo money
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 04:51 AM

wait till the 600 plus hp challengers arrive,i believe its called hellfire,or something similar
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 05:00 AM

Sometime in the 90's an issue of Hot Rod magazine I have was talking about fuel injection and computer control and what was about to happen next.

They went on to say that FI and elaborate engine control will open more doors for horsepower.

They also added that the old hp tricks like high compression and better flowing heads were soon to be used by the manufacturers.

Hot Rod was right.

Go ahead, have a look at the compression ratio on your SRT or the Three Hundred. Guys complain about getting these old girls to run on 9.5 to 1 and some of the new engines are 11 to 1.

I have a 5.7 in a Ram and I know what you are talking about. You wouldn't think a pick-up truck would be fast, but it is. I used my 1/8th mile time and it converts to 14.98 in the 1/4. A 4700 pound four-wheel drive brick.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 02:36 PM

Don't post this in the general forum...guys will tell you their bone stock 383 ran 11's back in the day, and runs 10's now. lol...
Posted By: HPMike

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have an srt8 challenger and my mom has a hemi 300 and i am just amazed how fast they are for a stock vehicle. I remember back when my 68 383 roadrunner was basically stock and this heavier car with smaller engine would eat it alive. every time i drive it i keep saying this thing cant be stock and i was curious is it the head flow they have now or is it the efficiency of new engines] now or is it just a comination of many things

This pretty much sums it up. An engine is only an air pump. Pump MORE air, do it MORE efficiently, you make MORE power. Pretty basic.

Monte

Exactly...

Its like just the other day, I drove a friend of mine's late model AWD Infiniti G35.. Got it out on the highway and nailed it..WOW..the thing pulled like a freight train ..8K plus redline...Only 3.5 puny naturally aspirated litres pushing a loaded down 4000+ lb sedan.

Simply amazing this new stuff is..

MB
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 04:06 PM

My wifes 3.5 liter V6 Ford Edge "station wagon crossover thing" has 275HP and shifts at 6500, moves pretty good for a wagon SUV thing as well. It shifts at 6500 and the tach only goes to 7000. Makes you feel like your really hammering on it when you almost peg the tach.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 05:08 PM

Quote:

Don't post this in the general forum...guys will tell you their bone stock 383 ran 11's back in the day, and runs 10's now. lol...

Uh uh, 9's baby!

I have an SRT-8 too. I believe it is a combination of things, not just one. Ignition and fuel systems are light years ahead of the old stuff, add in variable cam timing, lightweight components, more gears in the trans, and the list goes on.

The one thing missing that the old big block cars had is TORQUE! You just don't have it like the big motors.

However, you can go to the track and rip off 12 and 13 second passes all day, then pull out the gate, turn on the A/C, set the cruise at 80, and knock down 20+ MPG in pretty comfy surroundings.
Posted By: moparmafia

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Uh uh, 9's baby!

I have an SRT-8 too. I believe it is a combination of things, not just one. Ignition and fuel systems are light years ahead of the old stuff, add in variable cam timing, lightweight components, more gears in the trans, and the list goes on.

The one thing missing that the old big block cars had is TORQUE! You just don't have it like the big motors.

However, you can go to the track and rip off 12 and 13 second passes all day, then pull out the gate, turn on the A/C, set the cruise at 80, and knock down 20+ MPG in pretty comfy surroundings.

That is one of the things that appealed to me about my srt8 was the ability to go to the track and put down some decent numbers then just turn on the a/c and head home while getting 20 mpg. dont get me wrong i love my racecar but theres times i just enjoy going to the track without all the hassle of the race day stuff.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 06:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Uh uh, 9's baby!

That is one of the things that appealed to me about my srt8 was the ability to go to the track and put down some decent numbers then just turn on the a/c and head home while getting 20 mpg. dont get me wrong i love my racecar but theres times i just enjoy going to the track without all the hassle of the race day stuff.

Wallace shows 431 RWHP and 479 FHP. 112 mph @ 4257 curb weight.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 09:14 PM

" Wallace shows 431 RWHP and 479 FHP. 112 mph @ 4257 curb weight. "

I remember reading an article when the gen3 came out. they dug out an old dyno sheet from 64/65 on the 426, and it made 476hp. they stripped a 5.7 to the old specs(no WP,PSP, etc) and it made 476hp at the same RPM. I want to say it was at 6800, but I may be off on that one.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 09:51 PM

T E C H N O L O G Y
Posted By: wldtm

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 10:50 PM

Quote:

T E C H N O L O G Y

Its a wonderful thing!
Posted By: DakFink

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 11:05 PM

Nothing that can't be done with the older stuff if your willing to start over and use EFI in the process.

Better flowing heads
Higher Static Compression
EFI
Better Cam Profiles
RPMs

All the same stuff that the imports have been doing for years Making 1.0-4.0L 4&6 bangers that fly and sip on gas doing it.

Those 5 are your primary factors. Several others as well but to a lesser extent.

Far as Racing them. Call Ray Barton and ask him. His brother is flying in Stock Class Racing.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 11:17 PM

Quote:

I bet your new Hemi wont go 12.80
Posted By: 65signet

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/16/14 11:42 PM

Quote:

That is funny and true
Posted By: blowndart

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 12:18 AM

Quote:

Nothing that can't be done with the older stuff if your willing to start over and use EFI in the process.

Better flowing heads
EFI
Better Cam

I agree. I added EFI, gear vendors over drive and alterkation suspension to make my hemi car more like a modern car and it's so much more enjoyable then the old 60's tech.
Posted By: 383man

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 01:11 AM

Another thing is how all the newer engines all run the same almost all the time. I mean with the the electronics if one SRT8 2013 car runs 12.90's almost all of the same model do. Back in the day the et's were all over the place. Car Craft claimed 13.10 @ 107 from a 70 Hemi Cuda but some mags could not get out of the 14's with them as they ran from a best of mid to low 13's to high 14's depending on the tune which was so important back then. I would say the average 1970 Hemi Cuda or Roadrunner ran high 13's to low 14's. But its embarrasing when some person restores one and has it so far out of tune it runs 15's. Put a new Hemi in the 70 Cuda and everyone of them most likey would run high 12's. But hey Hot Rod ran 12.60's in 63 with a 63 Max Wedge car and cheater slicks. Ron
Posted By: scottb

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 01:15 AM

I have a SRT8 super bee drove it to Norwalk got 22 mpg raced it off the highway to a 12.57 at 112 its hard to complain about the new cars power they make I also like the 4 dr charger super bee it is a lot easier to get my grand daughter out of her car seat
Posted By: MattW

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Yup, Technology!
Take a look at the factory G3 heads. Very little short turn and incredible port speed! These factory heads will outperform ALL factory heads off of yesterday!
I will even say they outperform most small block casting that were offered by Mopar, don't know about the big block stuff.
They lack in the transmissions department. They still require a lot of hp to turn. If this new 8 speed ZF trans is as good as they say, 95% efficient, then the MPG gains should be substantial.
I love the New G3. 700 HP from 417 cid and a hydraulic with 11.5 comp. what's not to like. Matt
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 01:29 AM

Quote:

I think that's why I like the GT500's. A positive-displacement supercharger really wakes up the lower end of the torque curve. They feel as stout as a 440 down low. I've driven a Boss as well and didn't care for it... no torque whatsoever.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think that's why I like the GT500's. A positive-displacement supercharger really wakes up the lower end of the torque curve. They feel as stout as a 440 down low. I've driven a Boss as well and didn't care for it... no torque whatsoever.

That's why I bought a GT500. Plenty of torque and efficient enough to make that much power and not get charged a gas guzzler tax.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 02:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's why I bought a GT500. Plenty of torque and efficient enough to make that much power and not get charged a gas guzzler tax.

This is why I put the ProCharger on my 6.1 HEMI. Now my SRT Challenger drives like a hot big block.
Plus it ain't a fOrD
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 04:22 AM

Quote:

Nice! What year? I'm insanely jealous, especially if it's a '13 or '14.

Back to the original topic, the main advancement is in the cylinder heads. A 5.7 Hemi head, or a 5.4 4v Ford head, will flow over 300cfm on the intake, and the Ford will also flow 240+ on the exhaust, dead stock with no porting. They also have modern combustion chamber designs with a reasonable quench area and are made of aluminum to allow higher CR's without detonation on pump gas, which is where they have an advantage over something like the original 426 hemi head.

300/240 is better than the first tier of unported aftermarket aluminum heads for a BB Mopar, and completely blows away any set of stock 906's/452's/915's.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 04:58 AM

Quote:

I have a SRT8 super bee drove it to Norwalk got 22 mpg raced it off the highway to a 12.57 at 112 its hard to complain about the new cars power they make I also like the 4 dr charger super bee it is a lot easier to get my grand daughter out of her car seat

You know, I had just talked myself into the idea that a regular 300C was a good idea for my next car and that an SRT-8 wasn't necessary, so damn you.

Is it a 6.1 or 6.4?

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 05:28 AM

Mines a 2012 black super bee 6.4 motor poor mans srt no leather or sunroof
Posted By: Den300

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 09:11 AM

aerodynamics also helps to get a better mpg and a higher mph.
would be interesting what you could get out of an old block like a 400
if you put heads with 4 or 5 valves on combined with a fuel injection.
never understood why the 4 valve hemi heads from covalt never made it.
that was "technology" for our old engines!

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 09:50 AM

You also have to consider that the new Challenger/Charger has at least 2-300 pounds on an older one.

My Challenger isn't much to write home about in 1st and 2nd gear, but hit 3rd you best be hanging on. It pulls like a freight train then.

If I can figure out how to finesse it of the starting line, I'm pretty sure it would run 105-108 easy enough. I've been 103 with it pointing the nose to the wall on the 3rd gear shift. Kinda makes you poop when you haven't even made the first payment yet.

I do kinda wish I would have gotten an auto/6.4. It would be a more pleasant experience at the track.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 03:47 PM

Quote:

Better flowing heads
EFI
Better Cam Profiles
RPMs

All the same stuff that the imports have been doing for years Making 1.0-4.0L 4&6 bangers that fly and sip on gas doing it.

Those 5 are your primary factors. Several others as well but to a lesser extent.

Far as Racing them. Call Ray Barton and ask him. His brother is flying in Stock Class Racing.

There has been a whole lot learned about how to present the fuel air mix to the combustion chamber. Swirl, tumble, fuel droplet size, crevice volume reduction, quench, plug placement. Add to that better valvetrain, big reduction in friction (narrow rings, windage ) more accurate machining(ring seal, head flow) better intake tuning and better exhaust systems. To add to the list, more rpms and narrower rpm range(more gears)
Posted By: jyrki

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 04:19 PM

A friend of mine has got a 07 'cuda that used to have a 426 Hemi. I think it run 13's. A couple of years ago he switched it in to a 5.7 Hemi nad it run 12.6's. Now it has got a bone stock 6.1 SRT 8 with headers and has run 11.1 with 9" slicks.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 04:23 PM

Pretty hard to beat a computer looking at MULTIPLE
sensors thousands of times a second to keep everything
at optimum ... plus like Greg said we work on the
injectors to have them break down the droplets to
a finer size
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 04:28 PM

Its forty five years of advances in everything from R&D to manufacturing (computer modeling and simulation, machine control etc).

Lets face it, most of us have been playing with antiques for the last 20 years or more.

I would be ordering a new hemi challenger if they were at least 500 lbs lighter. I just cant get real excited about performance car that pushes 4200 lbs.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 04:31 PM

Quote:

I just cant get real excited about performance car pushing 4200 lbs.

I hear ya! How about a luxury car pushing 4,200 lbs though and running 11's?
Posted By: jyrki

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 04:36 PM

There is also overall quality that has changed dramatically. Basically all todays production engines are "blueprinted" at the factory. The quality and tolerances of the muscle car era was pretty horrible.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 06:32 PM

It's the cylinder head for the most part.
Posted By: BobR

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 07:50 PM

Quote:

I have a '70 Challenger T/A with a 416, street roller cam, fully ported Eddy heads, a warmed over 6 pak, 4 speed, Strange Dana 60 with 4.10 gears. It dyno'd at 499 hp. My wife has a bone stock 2013 Cadillac CTS/V. I would be embarrassed to race her with my Dodge. Don't even ask me about my ZR1 Corvette.
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 08:03 PM

Quote:

I tend to agree, that is the short answer. Of course the surrounding components support it as well.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/17/14 10:42 PM

Cam is high in tunnel, makes for short pushrods/lighter valvetrain.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 12:41 AM

Quote:

Thats not a stock SRT8 is it? If so what year? When the Challengers first came out the SRT8's were running low 14's and high 13's and the RT's were actually quicker.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a '70 Challenger T/A with a 416, street roller cam, fully ported Eddy heads, a warmed over 6 pak, 4 speed, Strange Dana 60 with 4.10 gears. It dyno'd at 499 hp. My wife has a bone stock 2013 Cadillac CTS/V. I would be embarrassed to race her with my Dodge. Don't even ask me about my ZR1 Corvette.

You dont think your Challenger would smack your wifes Caddy ? I mean the Caddy is a 12 second ride right ? I would think your Challenger is an easy 11 second ride as them smallblock strokers run good. Ron
Posted By: 440gtx6

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 04:45 AM

Quote:

Its forty five years of advances in everything from R&D to manufacturing (computer modeling and simulation, machine control etc).

Lets face it, most of us have been playing with antiques for the last 20 years or more.

I would be ordering a new hemi challenger if they were at least 500 lbs lighter. I just cant get real excited about performance car that pushes 4200 lbs.

We can make a car go faster now and in style but it's been over 40 years and we haven't made it back to the moon.

Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 05:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats not a stock SRT8 is it? If so what year? When the Challengers first came out the SRT8's were running low 14's and high 13's and the RT's were actually quicker.

I'm guessing his times are for a stock car, guys are even running low 12's with stock SRT's

I don't know which SRT's your referring to running low 14's, but even a stock 6.1 SRT is a low 13/high 12 car in good air.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 03:35 PM

It is a 2012 Super bee bone stock except for a CAI they say there should go mid 12 at 115 and a top end speed of 175 ive had mine to 162 and was still pulling not bad for a car that weighs 4480 with me in it.Over at lx forums there is some srt8 going low 12 with a tune
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 03:37 PM

These are the forums I like to read. There is so much information just in the talking and sharing of what some think is general information but it’s not. This is the outcome of research and development, trial and error. The best part it was all done on Chrysler, Ford and GM’s dime. We are now lucky enough to get the opportunity to take all this put it in our older cars and really enjoy them. I know this all comes with a big price tag, if I get the opportunity to sell my 415 Indy small block I will most defiantly be purchasing a 6.1 or 6.4 motor and Trans and put it in my dart sport. How can you not want to do that? To be able to drive the car on a 40 degree day would be awesome. And not spend $8 dollars a gallon. I like it and please don’t hate the fact that a new Gen Hemi doesn’t look awesome between the frame rails of our older cars.

Bad Sport

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 04:16 PM

The 6 speed SRT's are a handful to launch. I was told on the Challenger board I would be lucky to get a mid-14 out of mine. I put it in the 13's on the second pass. It will literally go sideways in 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd will wheelhop like crazy too. Mine weighs 4540 w/me in it.

I have seen bone stock automatic 6.1's run low 13's all day long.

We have a member here who took one pass in his auto 6.4 and went 12.90's.
Posted By: SeanD

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 06:01 PM

It is not just the hemis', I recenty drove a '12 Challenger with the VVT 6 and it is amazingly quick for a 6. Granted it was not driven at the track but I could tell it is quicker than my '70 340-4spd Dart.
Posted By: Nitrojunkee

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 06:03 PM

I love Mopar. But, the new "Hemi" cars are dogs. Especially compared to the Coyote powered 5.0 Mustangs. Not to mention, what Dodge wants for a new SRT8 Challenger, is a joke. You can get a brand new 5.0 Mustang for under $30k, and it will run circles around that lard butted, over priced and underpowered Challenger all day... On any form of track racing.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 08:39 PM

Quote:

I love Mopar. But, the new "Hemi" cars are dogs. Especially compared to the Coyote powered 5.0 Mustangs. Not to mention, what Dodge wants for a new SRT8 Challenger, is a joke. You can get a brand new 5.0 Mustang for under $30k, and it will run circles around that lard butted, over priced and underpowered Challenger all day... On any form of track racing.

The extreme weight of the Chally is embarrassing and prevents me from considering one.

It might as well be a 300C.
Posted By: ksj

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 09:30 PM

I'll keep my overweight '12 Challenger R/T. Bang for the buck is the Mustang.Look at the fit and finish on a Mustang.Cheaply made and the Interiors stink.I couldn't get comfortable in one.The Camaro is not any better.I could never get my left arm in a comfortable position no matter how I sat in it.Camaro is the worst of the 3 when it comes to blind spots.My best is 13.79@105 best bone stock 6 spd I'll keep it.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 11:15 PM

One word..."computer".

I've often wondered what Top Fuel cars could achieve with total computer control.
Posted By: DakFink

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/18/14 11:42 PM

Quote:

One word..."computer".

I've often wondered what Top Fuel cars could achieve with total computer control.

Exactlly! With out the Computer Controlling timing, and Ignition all the other improvements wouldn't be possible, nor as efficient.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 12:25 AM

Quote:

I'll keep my overweight '12 Challenger R/T. Bang for the buck is the Mustang.Look at the fit and finish on a Mustang.Cheaply made and the Interiors stink.I couldn't get comfortable in one.The Camaro is not any better.I could never get my left arm in a comfortable position no matter how I sat in it.Camaro is the worst of the 3 when it comes to blind spots.My best is [Email]13.79@105[/Email] best bone stock 6 spd I'll keep it.

My short list of cars was another GTO, a Mustang, or a Challenger. Goat was the first off the list. I looked at a Challenger sitting next to an'08 GT Mustang. I couldn't even get myself to open the door on the Mustang.
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 12:41 AM

I have an 11 SRT challenger with the 6.4 and an auto. I have gone 12.82 so far @ 113 mph. It has a 3" catback and a cold air intake,nothing more. This car weighs 4175 lbs without driver and 3.06 rear gears. Soo it will not 60ft at all, best I've had is a 1.97. Put in a 3400 stall and a set of 3.92's and it should be a very low 12 second car. I work at a ford dealer and I know the coyote mustangs are quick but they are also 600 lbs. lighter.You decide. Most people that say they don't like the new challenger haven't driven one. :drive
the second video is in car on a 12.84 pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PVfGWKDwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypQByeIpV50
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 04:02 AM

I love the looks of a new Challenger until I realize it weighs as much as a 4 door 300 or Charger. At least with a Charger the weight is justified and I would rather have a fast 4 door than an overweight porky Challenger.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 04:45 AM

2012 Charger SRT8 Super Bee. Bone stock + 275 drag radials (the ones you can actually daily drive with, not M/T's and a canned tune from Diablo)

= 11.92

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/333714-New-PB-MEXI-breaks-11-s-in-n-a-12-superbee
Posted By: ksj

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 05:01 AM

Ok 60 ft. LOL WOW!! Congrats!! I should have got an Auto but is what it is.Wish we had 93 around here. What brand and size for the DRs?

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 06:49 AM

The day Dodge sheds 500lbs from the Challenger and adds a Whipple to the 392 is the day I buy one.......instantly.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 07:23 AM

Quote:

The day Dodge sheds 500lbs from the Challenger and adds a Whipple to the 392 is the day I buy one.......instantly.

What he said!!
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 07:47 AM

The lady of the household daily drives a 300C SRT8 rain sleet or snow and it rips for what it is. When it comes to value I think a used 300C SRT8 is very hard to beat. That is if you are looking for an American sedan with some bells and whistles. Aka great winter beater...way more comfortable than our old '76 Valiant 4-door with the 408/4-speed combo.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 08:23 AM

Quote:

The lady of the household daily drives a 300C SRT8 rain sleet or snow and it rips for what it is. When it comes to value I think a used 300C SRT8 is very hard to beat. That is if you are looking for an American sedan with some bells and whistles. Aka great winter beater...way more comfortable than our old '76 Valiant 4-door with the 408/4-speed combo.

An SRT8 IS trimmed out a little nicer than most A-bodies .

The thing with these "new" muscle cars is they are so refined in how they deliver the performance as in no drama.

A retired GM tech buddy of mine was around when Tri power 427/435Hp 'Vettes were new and was finishing up when the ZO6 came out. He said both cars were capable of 150 MPH. The difference was that in 1967 it was a bellowing, both hands on the wheel, white knuckle, you best be paying attention to what you're doing assault on all your senses ride whereas the ZO6 was a slouched in the seat 1 hand on the wheel and listening to your favorite tunes on the CD cruise. Oh look Martha, we're doing a buck fifty. .

The wonders of modern technology.

Kevin

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 08:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What he said!!

Any Mopar guy who likes performance will surely agree with that as it would be a beast. Even an old fart like me knows that. Ron

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 11:26 AM

Quote:

I love the looks of a new Challenger until I realize it weighs as much as a 4 door 300 or Charger. At least with a Charger the weight is justified and I would rather have a fast 4 door than an overweight porky Challenger.

You do realize a Challenger IS basically a 4 door Charger, right? The trunk is big enough to hold at least 2 dead bodies. LOL!

My '04 GTO was only about 300 or so pounds lighter and was a lot smaller car.

But yes, I do wish the Challenger was about 500# or so lighter. But then it wouldn't be so comfy to drive.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 11:28 AM

Quote:

Dunno about the 500lbs though, maybe 150 but the car hasn't come out yet. 600-700 HP from the factory, 6.2L Hemi with a blower...aka "Hellcat"

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dunno about the 500lbs though, maybe 150 but the car hasn't come out yet. 600-700 HP from the factory, 6.2L Hemi with a blower...aka "Hellcat"

Could this be a reality???

I might settle for 150lb weight reduction with that power level.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 06:17 PM

So Glad I got mine when I did. They look and drive so nice. And with 500HP to the tires at 5psi it is wicked when the boost guage goes from vacume to boost. Plus it's getting better MPG to boot.
Even stock I would out run the junkstangs and junkmarows. Now I embarris them by womping it on them wile there WFO lmao. Even the local CTSV guy had to spend 10 grand to just stay even with my slow, heavy, boat. Lmao. He finally put some ET on my car when he went to 17" drag radials but I still run the same MPH he does. On BFG street T/As.
So everyone that can't afford one can keep bashing the only modern 2 door HEMI MoPars and ill keep showing them the tail lights.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 06:30 PM

Yeah but will it out run our lady of the houses daily driver CLS63 She also has an aforementioned mod motored Stang that is pretty quick for a $20K used "beater"

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 06:39 PM

Prolly not but I would line up next to her to see
I also have a 01 camaro SS too but it don't stand a chance next to either. But it's fun to drive. It's a mid 8 in the 1/8th

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 06:42 PM

I really tried to get her to buy a Challenger. She almost bought an SRT8 Charger with all the bells and whistles. But in the end she loves her German stuff. An honestly the car impresses the heck out of me for a 5500lb luxury car.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/19/14 08:40 PM

Quote:

It's reality, car will be shown in 2 or 3 months. For 2015 the Challenger is getting a new interior, new suspension, more power and refreshed exterior front and back, LED lighting.

Guys in this forum know about the Hellcat engine but aren't allowed to talk about it

Attached picture 8003897-2015-dodge-challenger-spied-front.jpg

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/20/14 04:27 PM

Quote:

I really tried to get her to buy a Challenger. She almost bought an SRT8 Charger with all the bells and whistles. But in the end she loves her German stuff. An honestly the car impresses the heck out of me for a 5500lb luxury car.

That's what I am talking about! I considered one before I bought my AMG but when it was said and done, the Mercedes is a much better car all around!

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/20/14 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's reality, car will be shown in 2 or 3 months. For 2015 the Challenger is getting a new interior, new suspension, more power and refreshed exterior front and back, LED lighting.

Guys in this forum know about the Hellcat engine but aren't allowed to talk about it

Verrrrrry interrresting.

Re: what makes the new hemi cars so fast - 01/20/14 08:31 PM

Quote:

So Glad I got mine when I did. They look and drive so nice. And with 500HP to the tires at 5psi it is wicked when the boost guage goes from vacume to boost. Plus it's getting better MPG to boot.
Even stock I would out run the junkstangs and junkmarows. Now I embarris them by womping it on them wile there WFO lmao. Even the local CTSV guy had to spend 10 grand to just stay even with my slow, heavy, boat. Lmao. He finally put some ET on my car when he went to 17" drag radials but I still run the same MPH he does. On BFG street T/As.
So everyone that can't afford one can keep bashing the only modern 2 door HEMI MoPars and ill keep showing them the tail lights.

Sounds sweet! What does it run?
© 2024 Moparts Forums