Moparts

Mike Edwards

Posted By: 72 RR DUDE

Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 12:17 PM

Anyone know why Mike Edwards sold his entire pro stock equitement and car????
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 12:26 PM

http://nhra.com/%28X%281%29S%28d2i4mk452...CookieSupport=1

Chris..
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 01:27 PM

That McGaha interview was a little nicer. In the one posted on the Bullet the other day he said he hated racing Mopars and signing Mopar stuff.

Gonna miss seeing Mike out there. He always seemed like a good guy.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 03:32 PM

One of Mike's trusted helpers was selling out his secrets to another competitor. That was the last straw.
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 04:50 PM

He had some back issues and he just had shoulder surgery and he had a buyer of the whole operation.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 05:14 PM

Quote:

That interview was a little nicer. In the one posted on the Bullet the other day he said he hated racing Mopars and signing Mopar stuff.

I guess he isn't as friendly as he wanted fans to think.
Crewchiefs and members move around all the time.
If you want to keep them I guess you have to pay em REAL WELL!
I bet he had no sympathy for WJ when Gregg left and took secrets with him.
Good riddance!
Don

Attached picture 7987351-IMG_0067.jpg
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 05:23 PM

Quote:

That McGaha interview was a little nicer. In the one posted on the Bullet the other day he said he hated racing Mopars and signing Mopar stuff.

Link?
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 07:02 PM

What I read he said he was tired of not getting any support or help from Mopar. If chevy was paying I don't blame him one bit.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 07:35 PM

I have a friend who worked for McGaha until a few weeks ago when they cleaned house. He is a competitive man with money and wants to win. he is doing what he thinks will best put him in that position. Dont let all the internet experts fool ya. It is as simple as that.
Posted By: top8x7b

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 07:36 PM

I didn't see where he was getting support from chevy either he just bought entire operation ,now all he has to do is not mess the set up up right good luck! well see how that goes ,but atleast hes not signing those damn MOPAR things.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/06/14 09:22 PM

Well..He bought the fastest car out there..Now let's see if it remains the fastest..which will be a reflection upon their ability...or does he slide to the bottom half of the show where his dodge was.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 09:33 AM

Realistically, P/S racing is more about business than racing. In all reality there isn't much difference between an Avenger and a Camaro other than where the plugs go in the heads. No "factory" parts in any of them.

I just fail to see why someone would buy an operation that in their own words they didn't want, and then be pizzed off because Mopar wouldn't help.

Mopar has forever been known for only giving help after you prove you don't need it. Pretty sure Allen and Roy went through a ton of their own coins before Mopar stepped up, and they are lifelong Mopar racers.

I wish Chris well, but I am hoping to see another MOPAR car win the championship this year.

GO AJ!!!!!
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 04:25 PM

There were quite a few racers that were willing to buy or rent Edwards engines but he said no. So one of them bought the people; Edwards was left without his crew.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 04:37 PM

Quote:

Realistically, P/S racing is more about business than racing.

Business ? ... I would like to SEE that actual biz-model shown ...

uNless someone could show me different ...it is like the old saying .....

WANT to have personal wealth of 2 Million dollars racing Pro Stock ? ... start the operation with FOUR MILLION.

I still have the taped program of Bob Morgan down in Key West when he won the SuperBoat race down there. And I am sure the 'tude is the same for most competitors in PS ...

It is just about the GLORY !
Posted By: BobR

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 06:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WANT to have personal wealth of 2 Million dollars racing Pro Stock ? ... start the operation with FOUR MILLION.

I still have the taped program of Bob Morgan down in Key West when he won the SuperBoat race down there. And I am sure the 'tude is the same for most competitors in PS ...

It's about getting a rich friend or corporation who's head loves drag racing enough to pay you to do it. The return on the advertising dollar isn't grand. It's just being involved in something that you are passionate about. I spend 100 grand per year to stand on the starting line and watch my buddy drive our car down the track. Win, lose or draw it's what keeps me motivated.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 06:54 PM

Quote:

I spend 100 grand per year to stand on the starting line and watch my buddy drive our car down the track. Win, lose or draw it's what keeps me motivated.

100 large ? ... tell us more !
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 07:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Its definitely a business. But like any other business, you have to spend money to make money. If you start with 4 million and end up with two, you've done something wrong. Like any business, you have to manage all aspects to be profitable.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I spend 100 grand per year to stand on the starting line and watch my buddy drive our car down the track. Win, lose or draw it's what keeps me motivated.

100 large ? ... tell us more !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr9kMcJDVi8
http://www.dragzine.com/news/doug-sikora-clicks-off-unreal-6-17-at-230-mph-on-10-5s-at-nmca-west/

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 08:30 PM

Quote:

Its definitely a business. But like any other business, you have to spend money to make money. If you start with 4 million and end up with two, you've done something wrong. Like any business, you have to manage all aspects to be profitable.

But SERIOUSLY ...who out there runs their PS operation as a PURE BUSINESS ... and not as a tax-write-off or advertising-gimmick OR not with huge sponsor $$$ ?

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 08:33 PM

Quote:

http://www.dragzine.com/news/doug-sikora-clicks-off-unreal-6-17-at-230-mph-on-10-5s-at-nmca-west/

So ... how much was that win worth ? .. 100k to "watch" ? ... diff strokes for diff folks ...I guess ...

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So ... how much was that win worth ? .. 100k to "watch" ? ... diff strokes for diff folks ...I guess ...

Win paid 10K. I also crew, work on the car and have input on how we upgrade. I built a S/C Duster a decade ago. I raced it one time then offed it. Driving doesn't appeal to me any longer. Planning, tuning and execution is where my interest lies. Driving a car like this takes years to perfect the skill necessary for winning and keeping it off of the wall. Small tire, short wheelbase and 3500 HP is hard to manage. Doug has been doing this a long time and there is no better driver in this class. He and I are partners but if I owned the car alone I'd pay him to drive.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/07/14 10:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But SERIOUSLY ...who out there runs their PS operation as a PURE BUSINESS ... and not as a tax-write-off or advertising-gimmick OR not with huge sponsor $$$ ?

Let's first understand a couple things ...

In order to have a "tax write-off" you have to have income to write off against. And not just income but PROFIT. You don't just decide to start a race team, accumulate expenses and send the bill to the government! So these guys either have a business that they use racing to promote OR they actually have to make money from the racing.

As to who runs it as a pure business, other than someone like Jeg Couglin, I would say "most" do. Simply because running a competitive PS program leaves little time to successfully run a business.

To your last point about "huge sponsor $$$" ... the racer calls that "revenue" and at the end of the season when all the bills are paid, anything left is called "salary" !!!
Posted By: LA360

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 03:30 AM

Didn't Edwards main engine guys go to Cagnazzi?
Posted By: LSP

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 04:35 AM

Quote:

To Gray's

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

To Gray's

Gray and Cagnazzi merged.......

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 04:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To Gray's

Gray and Cagnazzi merged.......

Yup, hearing PS might be in for big changes in the next year or two.
Posted By: mack

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 04:58 AM

He said that on the NHRA telecast the week it happened...If memory serves me right he said they had been with him for over seven years....
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 09:09 AM

And for those who do not know Erica Enders-Stevens has left Cagnazzi. The team will be a two car team with Gray and Connely. Should be a formidable duo next year.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 09:36 AM

Two good drivers for sure. Sounds like they may have rounded up the money for a top shelf program.

I hope Erica finds a ride. She has a lot of talent.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 09:58 AM

Quote:

Two good drivers for sure. Sounds like they may have rounded up the money for a top shelf program.

I hope Erica finds a ride. She has a lot of talent.

Erica has a ride..with Elite Motorsports...where Johnny Gray was getting his engines from with Husky Liners as sponsor...

they were also supplying Ricky Jones with engines...

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/12/14 05:50 PM

Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 04:31 AM

Probably aren't many people who can compete with Johnny Gray's wallet.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 06:44 AM

Jim Yates new crew chief for McGaha car...

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 11:47 AM

Quote:

I was never a huge Yates fan, but he sure seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle for Allen and Roy.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 01:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was never a huge Yates fan, but he sure seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle for Allen and Roy.

How's that? The first year on the team they win a championship. The year before they had the fastest car but couldn't get it down the track half the time.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 04:55 PM

That is my point. Hired him, car starts going downtrack consistently.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 08:51 PM

Oops, it was early and my pea brain was not comprehending what I was reading.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 08:54 PM

Quote:

Oops, it was early and my pea brain was not comprehending what I was reading.

I'm just hoping parting ways with Jim doesn't bite Allen in the behind. McGaha bought a really fast car.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/15/14 10:17 PM

Yates is very knowledgeable about the Jerry Haas chassis,one of the reasons AJ started doing better in '12.

Re: Mike Edwards - 01/16/14 02:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

McGaha bought a really fast car.

That was the easy part, keeping it fast will take a lot of time and $$$$$$$.

He bought all the Dodge PS stuff from the Jeg's deal too, sounds like he has one end of it covered for sure.
© 2024 Moparts Forums