Moparts

Just starting to shop for a new hemi block

Posted By: camastomcat

Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 05:44 PM

I had some bad luck last year, with one of the few engine explosions I've gad since I started racing 27 years ago. It ruined my World Hemi block, and I would like to find and purchase another one so I can continue my Predator project. Steve Gill stepped up and supplied parts and has been great. I would recommend him for any Indy parts you need. So, block choices I know of are, steel mega style, aluminum World products (overpriced and what I blew up and ruined)KB (slow to deliver and wants 1/2 of the money with the order but is my first choice other than that) Performance Products (unknown quality but seem like good guys) Indy (I am concerned with the machine work that will be necessary being done at Indy but they are available). I would like a raised cam block, bores to be 4.530, push rod oiling, large cam tunnel, and 2" spread lifter bores. I know there are some pretty savvy guys here and hope some ideas are born out of this post.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 08:09 PM

KB or Indy would/will be one of my choices...But I would order the Indy thru a good dealer as opposed directly from Indy. They can be less than helpfull on issues they own.

I believe World got into a little trouble on their Chrysler blocks, so I am curious as to whether they still make them. Also, my experience with them was worse than my experience with Indy...
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 08:14 PM

Check out this place, it was the least expensive when I did my shopping...

http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=59

Here is another place

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/mopar-pe...-p5153860-.html
Posted By: Mulehead

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 08:26 PM

Kb street hemi

Attached picture 7980424-2012-09-01_15-29-18_24-1.jpg
Posted By: Mulehead

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 08:27 PM

one

Attached picture 7980428-DSC06148.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 08:39 PM

Quote:

Check out this place, it was the least expensive when I did my shopping...

http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=59

Here is another place

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/mopar-pe...-p5153860-.html

Monicatti really doesnt exist anymore(they closed a
few years back) but a guy still sells some stuff under
the name but not much... I use to buy all my MP parts
from Monticatti and being a Chrysler employee I got
25% off.... but they were the cheapest and local to
me so it was easy to pick up stuff... thats where I
got my Mega block from
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 10:51 PM

KB and run it until you retire and...you never have to talk to Indy Cylinder Head.
If you go Indy call Todd at Marsh Perf--he stocks LOTS of Hemi stuff
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/01/14 11:13 PM

Quote:

KB and run it until you retire and...you never have to talk to Indy Cylinder Head.
If you go Indy call Todd at Marsh Perf--he stocks LOTS of Hemi stuff

Ken Black from KB is a great guy and offer the best product out there. Too bad they are so slow but I found one local so I got lucky to find a KB block.
Funny is 2 days later after I bought my KB block, Ken called and said mine was going into production. Go figure.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 04:03 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, but wasn't there a new manufacturer of aluminum blocks in earlier posts? Or are they not making them anymore?
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 04:34 PM

Buy the KB and wait.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 06:26 PM

It's not the wait that bothers me, it's putting up $3000 for 6-8 months. I have a KB and it's nice.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 06:42 PM

The KB blocks are a great choise,but for availability Indy and HP Performance LLC,also Bill Mitchell has a few left.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 07:42 PM

i've seen a number of iron and aluminum blocks from different vendors and personally feel the KB is a superior piece. i was not overly impressed with some of the other stuff i've seen one of them being the one you damaged
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 08:19 PM

If I was in the market for another block right now and couldn't wait for a KB, I'd probably be looking into an aluminum Indy block from a good vendor.

I have a KB block and a World cast iron block. If the World block wasn't so daggum heavy I'd recommend it b/c the one I have has checked out great...it just weighs a ton. Seems like I've heard of the World aluminum blocks having some issues?

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 08:35 PM

There is no question on the quality of a KB block but availability is also a driving factor and depending on application the Indy or others certainly can be used.We are on our third season on our all aluminium Indy Hemi in the blower car.If you want a block in a reasonable time you do have a choise.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/02/14 10:04 PM

I would go with Indy over KB unless it was a blower,turbo or a Big 3-4 stage NOS engine.And Bog George just said they were on their 3rd season with a Indy blower motor.Not saying KB is not as good as Indy,they are a heavier duty block and possibly stronger but Daymn near as heavy as a steel block.If I gonna spend the $$$ for a after market block,an aluminum block is well worth the $$$ over a steel block,but not in my opinion if its as heavy as a steel block.

PS Just so their is NO MISUNDERSTANDING I am not saying Indy is better than KB,just maybe better for what the OP needs because it is lighter.On a Race-Car we need to keep things as light as possible.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 12:30 AM

Tommy, after the big boom you wouldn't really hang your hopes on an unproven quantity, would you.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 01:33 AM

Quote:

Tommy, after the big boom you wouldn't really hang your hopes on an unproven quantity, would you.

After both of ours, and no. As 622 said, I am looking at an Indy or KB. If someone unknown wanted to say, help with a discount on a new block as part of a sponsorship deal, that would be OK too. Or if someone had one sitting around they weren't using and wanted to discount one, that would be cool too.
Will I see you at MATS this year?
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 02:28 AM

MATS is tentatively on the schedule. If that same someone you are looking for wanted to sponsor me for a funny car cage so I can turn off the stop, then MATS would be a definite.

Too bad my old block (well half anyway) isn't a raised cam piece. You'd be welcome to it for a weld up project with your half.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 07:13 AM

Well if any particular someone wanted to say "sponsor" a couple of us you can count me in as a guinea pig too:)

As for the weight comment my KB block weighs a whopping 125lbs. From what I remember my last Indy was 125lbs as well. My motor complste ready to drop in full of oil with the stop on it weighs 525lbs.

We all know there is a lead time with KB for sure. If you are in a hurry the field becomes very narrow. If you have time then IMO KB is hard to beat. Just saying but you already know what

BTW hope to see both of you guys at the MATS. Hopefully my heap will still be running by then. If it is it's tongue will crtainly be hanging out by then.
Posted By: cudabin

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 09:48 AM

My two cents, wait for a Keith Black block!!! Ken is a stand up guy and the KB is a superior product IMO.

Good Luck,

Arnie
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 03:01 PM

Quote:

As for the weight comment my KB block weighs a whopping 125lbs. From what I remember my last Indy was 125lbs as well. My motor complste ready to drop in full of oil with the stop on it weighs 525lbs.

My KB hemi block w/ double crossbolted mains is right at 130 lbs...way lighter than any cast iron BB I've had.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 06:21 PM

I think the KB is probably the best option, really it's the money up front. If not for the deposit, I would buy one tomorrow. I love all of the options they give for nothing. I am planning on MATS.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 08:19 PM

I don't remember the exact weight and I don't feel like digging, but if I remember, my double cross bolted, KB water block at 4.500 was around 140 with steel caps.

100# lighter than a stock 440 and less than half the weight of an aftermarket iron block.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 10:17 PM

FWIW mine is a low deck big cam tunnel version.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 10:51 PM

Ken at KB will make whatever you want. I have a raised cam 54mm (Large Journal Hemi) 45* block that Predators are going on. The bore is 4.530". Sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

I would not use an Indy block, just my

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/03/14 11:13 PM

Quote:

Ken at KB will make whatever you want. I have a raised cam 54mm (Large Journal Hemi) 45* block that Predators are going on. The bore is 4.530". Sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

Do tell.... I thought you sold your Predator stuff?
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 12:46 AM

KB all the way.
Posted By: Edge

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 02:54 AM

Was there any specific problem with the World Aluminum block that caused the engine failure ?
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 04:30 AM

I wanted a KB as well and he had 100% payment for 10 months, we finally grew tired of this and finally settled on a World, all we wanted was a 572 with stock cam height. So now I haven't decided what to do with this yet.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 10:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do tell.... I thought you sold your Predator stuff?

Nope the 596 will make it into the ride just as soon as I make a couple attemps to run B/Gas with the B1-BS 498.

I finaly have a most of the parts for the 596.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 10:11 AM

Kieth,
What the hell happened?
I delt with Ken 1 on 1 and he did exactly what he told me he was going to do, hell I went down and picked it up with a couple of buddies of mine and got the grand tour of KB racing.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

Was there any specific problem with the World Aluminum block that caused the engine failure ?

It's hard to say really. I don't think so though. I have a B1/MC motor out of a World block, that runs real well and it's on it's 3rd rebuild.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's hard to say really. I don't think so though. I have a B1/MC motor out of a World block, that runs real well and it's on it's 3rd rebuild.

Nothing glaring that would cause failure if corrections are made.Rear main seal retainer fit,main cap location,uneven deck and some bolt hole depths and those pesky little bolt heads on the main cap cross bolts.Just typical stupid stuff.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/04/14 10:23 PM

Does anyone know of a low deck aluminum wedge block for sale? I am interested.

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/05/14 12:07 AM

Jim KB and Indy both sell them. BTW nice to see you back here

Re: Just starting to shop for a new hemi block - 01/19/14 11:35 PM

Quote:

It's hard to tell, but I don't think so. One thing for sure, I'll never be able to find out now. I just think the way it was broken like a glass table, it couldn't have been too strong. I'll probably get a KB when finances permit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums