Matco?
Mac?
Snap-On?

Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 12:01 AM

what type of ignition? MSD box?
Posted By: 383man

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 12:15 AM

Bought my dail timing light from the Matco tool man and it works very good and is dead on accurate. Ron
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 12:45 AM

The one for 159 bucks is the best non adjustable light made, imo.
MSD sells it along with many other places because it's the best non adjustable light made, by far.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 01:51 AM

This is the best one I own... love it.. works perfect
with MSD... no reason to spend big bucks on a good
timing light... I had a couple lights that I tried 1
time and gave them away... the Flaming River unit
is the best ... I think I have 8 lights right now
but only use the Flaming River one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1001/overview/
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 02:52 AM

KAL L-10 plain inductive timing light, one of the best ever made imho

personally i will never use an electronic or dial back light on a performance engine
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 05:06 AM

Quote:

This is the best one I own... love it.. works perfect
with MSD... no reason to spend big bucks on a good
timing light... I had a couple lights that I tried 1
time and gave them away... the Flaming River unit
is the best ... I think I have 8 lights right now
but only use the Flaming River one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1001/overview/

I have bought many different brands and models of timing lights over the years, them dang MSD racing boxes eat them up pretty quick Except the newer D.C. battery powered Flaming river units We did burn up one of the early (circa 2002) Flaming River D.C. lights up on a MSD 7AL3 on a blown motor making 17 lbs of boost back in 2003 or so, none since Knock on wood now I have heard both good and bad about the MSD timing lights
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 03:36 PM

I've had my Craftsman since the early 80's and it has never let me down Have loaned it out a few times at the track and have been told how great it works with MSD ignition's compared to others. I wouldn't know....... it's the only light I've ever owned

Only available used now and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Craftsman-...7aa&vxp=mtr
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 06:17 PM

"RoadHazard" Is right!!!!! I look for these timing lights at garage sales and flee markets!! I normaly never spend more than $15.00 for them!!! I bet i have at least 10 of those lights!! And i have other ones of diiferent makes that i use on none Multi spark ignition's!!! I you want one e-mail me at dgwelder@att.net Good Luck!!
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 06:44 PM

I have an older craftsman dial back that SEEMs to work with MSD (even when using the dial back feature). I have a regular Actron non dial back that reads exactly the same at idle, revved up, wherever. I've been contemplating buying the MSD light but I'll be pretty mad if I do and it reads the same.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 06:49 PM

Quote:

What brand do you guys recommend?

Is Craftsman any good?
Matco?
Mac?
Snap-On?

I use a cheap Sunpro and compared it to Pettis`s high dollar Snap-on and it was within 1 degree.........
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 07:16 PM

I bought this Jegs branded battery powered light last summer when they were on sale dirt cheap. Look familiar? Works fine. http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Self-Powered-Timing-Light/1345121/10002/-1
Posted By: 383man

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 07:47 PM

This is the Matco timing light I bought. It is super accurate and works fine with MSD. Ron

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 07:59 PM

Quote:

I have an older craftsman dial back that SEEMs to work with MSD (even when using the dial back feature). I have a regular Actron non dial back that reads exactly the same at idle, revved up, wherever. I've been contemplating buying the MSD light but I'll be pretty mad if I do and it reads the same.

The first and last timing lights I burnt up on a MSD 7 sereis race boxes where both from Sears and Roebucks, the first one was a life time warrenty Crafstman non dial back light, the next two where a Craftsman dial back, the next two or three where the Penske labeled Craftsman and then I bought a cheap used off brand light. I still have several Craftsman dial back lights that I do not use on the MSD 7 sereis boxes The Flaming River works good
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 08:11 PM

I have an old Actron L-200 light that my dad gave me as a gift YEARS ago. No reaason for me to get anything else, as it seems to work just fine with my digital MSD.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 08:50 PM

Plain old chrome Chraftsman that I compared to Mr P's flaming river a few years back at Norwalk and was spot on with his, and works great with my 7al.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 09:55 PM

Quote:

Plain old chrome Chraftsman that I compared to Mr P's flaming river a few years back at Norwalk and was spot on with his, and works great with my 7al.

Don't know what the heck your doing to them Cab

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Revving them up to check total timing with solid core wires might have been the problems on the early race MSD boxes like the 404 B and C and the first MSD 7 non AL boxes The bulb would get brighter the higher I revved the motors and then go blamb, flash brightly once and then die I have used both of the Craftsman dial back lights I have now on the MSD7C boxes with resitor core spark plug wires several times I don't rev them up to check total timing beyond 4000 RPM now I do use the Flaming River at and above 7000 RPM to check for spark scatter Maybe Sears (or thier vendors)got the problem fixed after having so many failures back in the day
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Timing Light - 12/27/13 10:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Revving them up to check total timing with solid core wires might have been the problems on the early race MSD boxes like the 404 B and C and the first MSD 7 non AL boxes The bulb would get brighter the higher I revved the motors and then go blamb, flash brightly once and then die I have used both of the Craftsman dial back lights I have now on the MSD7C boxes with resitor core spark plug wires several times I don't rev them up to check total timing beyond 4000 RPM now I do use the Flaming River at and above 7000 RPM to check for spark scatter Maybe Sears (or thier vendors)got the problem fixed after having so many failures back in the day

I've never tried to rev mine that high with the light hooked to it, usually all in by 3000 or less and never bother to check higher. I'll certainly try to avoid it now
© 2024 Moparts Forums