Moparts

GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA..........................

Posted By: Thumperdart

GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/18/13 09:53 PM

What`s a good solvent that actually cleans out here cos the new and UNimproved stuff doesn`t clean and leaves a black oily residual........... Thankxxxx...............
Posted By: Dragula

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/18/13 10:20 PM

Tequila.....Although, its also good to drink as well, so that makes it Ca approved. The only draw backs are the side effects...
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/18/13 10:24 PM

Can you buy mineral spirits at the paint store?

If so that is the best solvent to clean parts with, by far.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/18/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

Tequila.....Although, its also good to drink as well, so that makes it Ca approved. The only draw backs are the side effects...

side effects?
i cant remember any side effects of any tequila usage,not realy sure how i got home after usage and not realy sure who that lady was and realy not sure where the hangover came from
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/18/13 10:45 PM

Spit and Dawn dish soap. Is that still legal out there?

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/18/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

Can you buy mineral spirits at the paint store?

If so that is the best solvent to clean parts with, by far.

I`m posting for a friend but I`d imagine he`s been that route however tonight he`ll check this out and maybe post........thankxxx.... NOW, as far as tequila goes, all bets are off and I`ve actually woke up in jail wondering what the hell I did and hoping I didn`t injure or kill someone........Not good..............
Posted By: Crizila

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/18/13 11:17 PM

Quote:

What`s a good solvent that actually cleans out here cos the new and UNimproved stuff doesn`t clean and leaves a black oily residual........... Thankxxxx...............

Dominic, I went to a water based solution about 6 months ago, when my solvent based Safety clean parts washer finally gave out. The key is heat. Went with "Ozzy Juice" SW-3 truck grade degreasing solvent ( NAPA store ). Since my cleaning tank isn't heated and heated tanks are upwords of 1K, I went to Walmart and bought a $15 hot plate. Fabed up a mount so that the hot plate sits up against the bottom of my solvent tank. Takes about 15 minutes for my tank ( 5 gallons ) to get up to about 130 degrees. At that temp, cuts grease every bit as good as solvent based stuff. On the down side, once you clean a metal part, it will rust pretty quick if you don't WD-40 it right after it dries. Stuff will even start to strip paint if you leave the part in long enough.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 01:13 AM

Mineral spirits (paint thinner) is what I use, it doesn't clean as well as it did many years ago but still does an acceptable job for me.

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 01:30 AM

This is what I switched over to.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/crownreg%3B-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal
Posted By: sawduster

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 02:09 AM

do you have to heat the PSC-1000 ?
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 02:09 AM

I think it is just LA county the good stuff is band.. you can get what ever you want in the other countys...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 02:13 AM

We had great results with Ozzy Juice as well when I was in Cali. It does have to be heated however due to it being made up of microbes.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 02:16 AM

Quote:

We had great results with Ozzy Juice as well when I was in Cali. It does have to be heated however due to it being made up of microbes.

HUH

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 02:25 AM

Quote:

do you have to heat the PSC-1000 ?

No.

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 02:31 AM

Thankxxx guys.............I`ll pass this on or George will check it out here............
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 02:47 AM

Dom, I am not sure if they carry it in Kallyfornia, but Graingers use to have a Graymills product I used a lot. It was called Agitene, and Super Agitene solvent. It had higher flash points, and at one time had lanolin in it even, to help your hands, as well as a anti flash rust agent. Check your local Grainger to see.

Also ZEP products. Usually they have a lot of commercial fluids. They have always had a good product, and usually have distribution in larger cities.

Neither of these two are cheap, but usually real good stuff. Good luck..
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 03:10 AM

We use Crystal Simple Green at work. Does a very good job of cleaning stuff.

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 03:34 AM

Thankxxx again guys............. I`ll pass this on.........
Posted By: zzyzxpat

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 05:03 AM

Nope. Anywhere in the Southern California Air Quality Managment District, anything but an approved solvent ( Q-sol, which is supplied by Safteykleen, or a waterbased cleaner) is illegal. I was fined 1800.00 a few years ago for still using a mineral spirits based solvent. Safteykleen will not even sell any mineral based solvent in this area.

Pat
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 06:16 AM

I remember the old safety kleen solvent "20years ago" would clean anything and if you had a cut on your hand it would sting like hell! Your hands would turn white cause it would strip the oils. We didn't use no stinking gloves like we do today and we needed them more back then. Heck, I think Italian salad dressing would work better to clean parts than the New "improved safe" diluted mineral spirits you can buy now They are engineering common sense out of society and trying to save us from ourselves sorry rant over
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 06:48 AM

good old kerosene and some dawn and hot water afterwards,or for some hardcore cleaning,you can still order the 5 gallon carb cleaning kettle of goodness from napa,or any other reputable parts store....
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 06:48 AM

Sounds like George needs a fifty gallon barrel of Oregon approved and used in OR solvent, Shellsol 360 or Stoddard solvent
Posted By: jcc

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/19/13 06:53 AM

So I guess gasoline like we used in the 60's, since its a fuel, is not OK?

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 01:09 AM

Quote:

Sounds like George needs a fifty gallon barrel of Oregon approved and used in OR solvent, Shellsol 360 or Stoddard solvent

I`ll shoot you HIS address...................
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 05:15 AM

or...you could try the Szechuan gravy at the local Chinese wok palace....that stuff can dissolve stainless steel.....
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 05:36 AM

What are you trying to do? Mineral spirits/atf works, Simple Green is very good-add vinegar and it gets mineral deposits out of carbs and cleans the old grime off. Goop is the best hand cleaner that doesn't tear up your hands and is good for fabrics, Dawn dish soap is a close second. I didn't like the Ozzy juice - The Safety Kleen parts washer works much better, but heat is the key.

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 05:59 PM

Quote:

What are you trying to do? Mineral spirits/atf works, Simple Green is very good-add vinegar and it gets mineral deposits out of carbs and cleans the old grime off. Goop is the best hand cleaner that doesn't tear up your hands and is good for fabrics, Dawn dish soap is a close second. I didn't like the Ozzy juice - The Safety Kleen parts washer works much better, but heat is the key.

It`s for cleaning engines and parts cos the lacquer thinner of today doesnn`t get it done like it used to............Thankxxxx........
Posted By: Crizila

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 08:30 PM

Quote:

Stoddard solvent - good stuff if you can get it.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Exact same as mineral spirits.

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 08:58 PM

Cool, I`ll pass this on...........
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/20/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep... its mineral spirits with the specific weight
of gas... had to use 100 of gals of this each month
for impact testing
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: GOOD SOLVENT IN CALIFORNIA.......................... - 12/21/13 01:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep... its mineral spirits with the specific weight
of gas... had to use 100 of gals of this each month
for impact testing

Gary is correct. Stoddard solvent, Varsol, all just synonyms and trade names for mineral spirits. (Distributed hundreds of thousands of gallons over the years)
© 2024 Moparts Forums