Moparts

Duster/Demon rear wheel width question

Posted By: moparfan

Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 07:23 PM

Does anyone know if a 15x9 with 5" backspace fit with the springs in the stock location. I have a 15x8 (not 100% positive it's 8") wheel now with 4-1/8 backspace now. It has 7/8 to the spring now. Assume I use the same tire. I want to verify before I spend the $ for new wheels. Rolled quarter

The tire is a 11.5 x28.0 ET street. 8.6 tread and 11.1 section. The tire section measure 10-5/8 now
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 07:37 PM

Well by your figures the math says no. If you have 7/8 of an inch to the spring with a 4 1/8 back space then adding 7/8 of an inch to the back space would hit.

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 08:26 PM

My thoughts are I would get half on each side of the tire? Plus not confident increasing the wheel 1 inch will make the section 1 inch wider either. Thoughts?

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 08:37 PM

No, 5" back space is 5" regardless of the wheels width.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 09:04 PM

if you keep the back spacing the same on both wheels you will increase the wheel width by 1/2 on both the front and back side like you have already pointed out Did you measure both sides? If not you should , it is not uncommon on all types of Unibody Mopars to NOT have the samm clearances on both sides The section width on both sides will increase also By how much I'm not usre of

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 09:26 PM

Quote:

if you keep the back spacing the same on both wheels you will increase the wheel width by 1/2 on both the front and back side like you have already pointed out Did you measure both sides? If not you should , it is not uncommon on all types of Unibody Mopars to NOT have the samm clearances on both sides The section width on both sides will increase also By how much I'm not usre of

Look at it like this. A 10" wheel with 5" of backspace will have 5" in front and 5" in back. A 9" wheel with 5" of back space will have 4" in front and 5" in back. 5" of back space is still going to be 5" of back space whether the wheel is 5" or 25" wide.

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 10:02 PM

Looks like I need to stick with the 8 inch wheel with 4" back space
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 11:25 PM

You could always use some 1/2 inch spacers and with same tire and new rim and be close to same clearance as the 4 inch backspace rim. Race or street? My race car had a shinny spring where it would touch from turning corners, never hurt the tire.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/17/13 11:58 PM

Do you have any photos of your current setup? The Duster I'm building now is gonna have stock tubs and stock leaf spring location. I'm surprised you have that big 28x11.5 tire in there.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/18/13 12:46 AM

my car had the same tire's .
had stock width a-body 8 3/4 with the b-body axle's and drum brakes .
had stock wheel tubs with a 8.5 centerline wheel with 3 3/8 BS .
never hit anything (spring/wheel lip).
that was with SS springs with the front hangers flipped .
ps. it wa the 3 and what ever BS can't remember off the top of my head right now .
brad
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/18/13 01:08 AM

Quote:

Do you have any photos of your current setup? The Duster I'm building now is gonna have stock tubs and stock leaf spring location. I'm surprised you have that big 28x11.5 tire in there.

We had 29.5 x 11.5 in our with stock tubs ! It did rub a little on hard turns but only on the springs, we put washers on the studs and all was right !

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/18/13 01:22 AM

Here are some pictures. Not great. Its a street/strip car. I thought about a 1/4 spacer too.

Attached picture 7962213-photo(64).JPG

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/18/13 01:22 AM

More

Attached picture 7962214-photo2.JPG
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/18/13 01:36 AM

no problem,just get some tire butter and rub some on......
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Duster/Demon rear wheel width question - 12/18/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

Well by your figures the math says no. If you have 7/8 of an inch to the spring with a 4 1/8 back space then adding 7/8 of an inch to the back space would hit.

your going to hit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums