Moparts

Small Block Q's

Posted By: Tig

Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 02:15 PM

Hi.
I'm soon going to be rebuilding a 318 and so far have a couple of questions.
The plate that fits between the oil filter and block sits too high, the centre boss holds it off the gasket. Are there different versions of this plate? (68 block for RHD, English/Australian version).
I have pre owned ductile iron 273 adjustable rockers, they don't have a lock nut. Are they OK like that? does anyone do a lock nut conversion?
TIA.
Tig.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 03:30 PM

It seems the new plates dont fit well(I just went
through the same thing).. either use your old plate
or you can grind the center boss down.. on the rockers...
they didnt come with nuts.. they have a lot of friction
to keep them put
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 03:48 PM

Can't help you on the plate. My friend used those friction adjusters on his mechanical cam big block. Constantly loosening up. They lost the interference fit when he installed them into the arm. I guess if you are using an off the shelf pushrod, try them. If you have to custom order pushrods, I wouldn't waste the $.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 03:55 PM

Quote:

Hi.

I have pre owned ductile iron 273 adjustable rockers, they don't have a lock nut. Are they OK like that? does anyone do a lock nut conversion?
TIA.
Tig.

You can get the appropriate screws & locknuts, but the rocker arms should be correctly spot-faced for the locknut. The original surface has high spots which can stress and break the screws.

I had the loosening problem when I first tried using the OEM 273 set-up in race applications as well.

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 03:55 PM

Thanks.
However, I thought I might tap the block for external lines but was worried about stressing the block with tapered fittings. Am I being over cautious there? It's just a street strip 6000 rpm deal. With the car being rhd the oil filter is in the way of the steering linkages/box. The method chrysler used (steel lines and a huge block fitting) is rubbish (garbage), they leak like a ruptured oil tanker and you can't buy spares for them anywhere.
Nobody do any lock nuts for these rockers? I'm just unsure about them, I had a similar set up on a F**d Capri (cologne engine) solid lifters but they kept coming loose
Thanks again.

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 04:14 PM

I've done a few 340 blocks with the remote set up..
works fine

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 05:18 PM

What size did you tap the holes?

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 05:24 PM

Quote:

What size did you tap the holes?

If I remember right its a 3/8 pipe tap... the center
hole is the return
Posted By: deaks

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 07:26 PM

Tig
I had a 360 Duster last year with the same rockers and had a similar problem with one coming loose. The guy that bought the car off me, is thinking of replacing them.
I wouldn't want to use them with 400 hp.
cheers Mick

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/15/13 09:07 PM

Hey Mick.
What kind of cam/lift?
Posted By: deaks

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/16/13 12:14 AM

Not sure Tig but i'll see if i can find out. It was a comp cams hyd. What are your plans? or is it a secret.
Mick

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/16/13 02:49 AM

Oh it's no secret. Simple street strip build KB 167's Comp xe 268 hydraulic and nicely worked 308 hi swirl heads.

Re: Small Block Q's - 12/16/13 03:05 AM

Quote:

Oh it's no secret. Simple street strip build KB 167's Comp xe 268 hydraulic and nicely worked 308 hi swirl heads.

To be honest I dont think you will have any problem
running those rockers on a hyd cam... they wont be
banging around
© 2024 Moparts Forums