Moparts

using chevy pistons in a mopar

Posted By: mopar dave

using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 06:22 PM

what does a guy need to know about using chevy 4" pistons in a sm mopar? i'm concerned about the valve reliefs being chevy uses 23* and mopar sb is 18*. looking at CP and Mahle pistons. i'm gonna need a 4cc dome to get to my compression target of 13.5:1. no shelf piston like that for sb mopar.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 06:35 PM

I don't know why guys want to make this game harder than it already is but you should call Wisco and ask to talk to Vic Elinger. They have some beautiful on the shelf items for Mopars. Vic is a Mopar man himself. He is at PRI this week so call him next week and see what they have to offer. These are going in my build for next year.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 07:35 PM

are they offered with a lighter pin, like a 927?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 07:36 PM

Skip the Chevy pistons, not only is the valve angle wrong but the valves in a Chevy aren't on center with the cylinder like the SBM.

I've had Wiseco, Diamond, and Ross pistons in the past and all are high quality and you can get exactly what you want for just a little more money over a shelf stock. Well worth it in my opinion.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 07:54 PM

Quote:

are they offered with a lighter pin, like a 927?

Yes, I ran to the shop just to double-check and mine have the .927 pin. Talk to Vic next week and you won't be disappointed. Tell him John Cadamore recommended him.
If you need comp height or weight let me know.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 08:06 PM

looks like 8cc dome is all they offer. that would put me way over 14:1. I think that would put way too much stress on this block I have. it does have the .927 pin and weights 438g. that was off their site. the other pistons for sb mopar are flat top and dish. 12:1 would be the best I can do with a flat top. my indys have a 60cc chamber.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 08:10 PM

spend a few minutes unshrouding the chambers and you can get back to where you want to be compression wise.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 08:21 PM

I would have to remove 5cc of material to get back to 13.5:1. I think this may be a custom piston deal that's why I was looking a chevy pistons. thought I may be able to save some coin that way.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 08:35 PM

Last time I talked to Vic all their pistons were not all listed. A phone call next week would get you the needed info. Are you calculating your compression at deck height and with that compression are your going with cometic gaskets? They will make you what you need.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 08:44 PM

yes, 0 deck and with a cometic 4.090 bore and .035 thinkness. not sure where the squench needs to be with 13.5:1. this is the gasket i'm now using in my 11.4:1 408.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 09:08 PM

I would say to look at the ICON piston line as well. Here is the link:
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?mai...0cfc723a4281601

Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 09:09 PM

That is my uncle's cuda on the top of the page.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 09:10 PM

Looks like you have some playing room with that head gasket.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 09:36 PM

I talked to Diamond and for about $35 for the set
they will move the pin height if needed and other
things as well... I have chevy blanks in mine that
the valve pockets are mopar and I had some dish put
in to lower the compression a little... they will treat
you well and they have been quick.... the last set
I got took 3 days for my Rampage...but I also know
the owner

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

the owner

Just so you know, it's about 40.00 dollars PER CHANGE to shelf stock and you're allowed UP TO TWO CHANGES. I'm a Distributor for Diamond, Let me know if I can help.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/12/13 10:32 PM

Quote:

I would have to remove 5cc of material to get back to 13.5:1. I think this may be a custom piston deal that's why I was looking a chevy pistons. thought I may be able to save some coin that way.

This is what an additional 3-4 combustion chamber CC's looks like. Did you have the block sonic tested? I have seen big discrepancies in wall thickness, etc. with 360 blocks over the years.

Attached picture 7956759-eddy2.jpg
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 04:28 AM

Quote:

I don't know why guys want to make this game harder than it already is but you should call Wisco and ask to talk to Vic Elinger. They have some beautiful on the shelf items for Mopars. Vic is a Mopar man himself. He is at PRI this week so call him next week and see what they have to offer. These are going in my build for next year.

This is the piston i plan to run with aluminum rods and a 65* comedic head gasket.Hope to run 6.30 ets with the sb 418 stroker.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 06:25 AM

motors still in car. gonna run it one more season as it checks out well. still have good oil pressure and good results from leak down test(10% max). yes it will get checked out before I do anything.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the owner

Just so you know, it's about 40.00 dollars PER CHANGE to shelf stock and you're allowed UP TO TWO CHANGES. I’m a Distributor for Diamond, Let me know if I can help.

Dan,

Didn’t they used to give you 2 free changes?

So there’s a 2 limit change for stocking numbers now?

What if I want 3 or 4 total changes?

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 06:27 AM

whats the cc on that dome? it looks huge.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 09:44 AM

Ross really broke it off in my azz I guess. They charged me $40 PER PISTON to move the pin on a set I had built. It was a custom built off a Chevy blank.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 12:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the owner

Just so you know, it's about 40.00 dollars PER CHANGE to shelf stock and you're allowed UP TO TWO CHANGES. I’m a Distributor for Diamond, Let me know if I can help.

Dan,

AFAIK changes were never FREE. If you want more than two changes you'll go to a full custom design and price. If you think about it, it makes sense to do it that way. We're lucky they allow us to make changes like that, most piston companies won't do that for such a small charge.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 03:39 PM

ok, didn't know it was that complicated. thanks
Posted By: 64Post

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the owner

Dan,

AFAIK changes were never FREE. If you want more than two changes you'll go to a full custom design and price. If you think about it, it makes sense to do it that way. We’re lucky they allow us to make changes like that, most piston companies won't do that for such a small charge.

It’s been a while since I ordered them directly through Diamond, that’s why I asked. I changed the dome volume and pin height and, IIRC, they were $800 with rings and .990 pins.

I agree that their minimal charge is wayyy more than fair.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 05:52 PM

Quote:

There's nothing complicated about it. Find a piston that would work other than maybe changing the dome size and order them. I can help you when you're ready to order.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 07:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There's nothing complicated about it. Find a piston that would work other than maybe changing the dome size and order them. I can help you when you're ready to order.

best advice yet.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 07:20 PM

I was talkin about the different offset pin.
ok thanks

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 08:26 PM

Do the molnar rods come with the .927 pin and fit a 2" journal 6.300 long?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/13/13 10:23 PM

Try these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oliver-6-250...tr#ht_72wt_1133

Pretty good deal if you're building a high dollar motor. Oliver rods are too beautiful to hide in a crankcase.

R.

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/14/13 06:29 AM

nce set of rods. not buying nothing just yet. i'm getting the next build on paper and end of next season i'm getting it done. thanks
Posted By: Raymond

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/14/13 05:45 PM

Dave I forgot to tell you.My mahle pistons are
chevy w/9.27 pins. I also use a chevy 6.400 rods.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 12/14/13 10:09 PM

We're going to look closely at the ICON Race 1.26" CH for my 440 inch/360 based motor only because it mocks up well except for the valve reliefs which I don't think will be a big deal to order without them pre-cut.

9.586" deck with a 6.2 rod plus 2.125 (1/2 stroke) = 1.261" Zero deck

I think the ICON race slugs are like ~380 grams with a .927 pin and with a 2.00" (what I always called a '327' journal) big end that will save some bobweight too.

But I come from an era where we used to scour the TRW catalogs looking for parts that would fit or we could make fit without too much work. There was an old trw flat top 454 truck piston we used for my first 383 stroker many moons ago. It was still a relative mile in the hole but with bushed rods and ported '67 915 heads it was a lot lighter bobweight and the fastest darn 383 in Town!!

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 02/01/15 05:44 AM

gonna rebuild the 408 this year. interested in the wiseco pistons you used. how did they work out for you? whats the largest intake valve that can be used with them? will the dome work with an indy 360-1 head? thanks
Posted By: Ian

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 02/06/15 05:52 AM

Quote:

gonna rebuild the 408 this year. interested in the wiseco pistons you used. how did they work out for you? whats the largest intake valve that can be used with them? will the dome work with an indy 360-1 head? thanks

i have a set for sale dave and they work with the indy head and valve size there 030 up. my w8 has a 37 cc chamber so i am needing a dish piston
Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 02/06/15 06:12 AM

Quote:

Ross really broke it off in my azz I guess. They charged me $40 PER PISTON to move the pin on a set I had built. It was a custom built off a Chevy blank.

Snapped it off up in you

Re: using chevy pistons in a mopar - 02/06/15 05:54 PM

thanks Ian. I will need .040 or larger. wont know til I get it apart and checked.
© 2024 Moparts Forums