Moparts

Taurus electric fans

Posted By: fasteddie

Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 12:31 AM

I saw a post a while back that some were using these fans.

Is there a certain year or type of Taurus to look for?

4 cyl, V6?

Do they bolt right up?

Any rigging or fabricating involved?

Will any other brands work?

Thanks

Fasteddie
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 01:01 AM

Look up 98 V6 Taurus on E bay. you will find a ton for sell. I bought one with a life time warranty for around 125 shipped. Another one that is a good one is a fan off a HHR Chevy. ether one you get you are going to have to fab some mounting brackets etc for. mopar65
Posted By: topside

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 01:09 AM

I don't know what the Taurus fan draws as far as amps, but I checked out a PT Cruiser fan and it draws almost 40 amps, needs a "driver" & a circuit breaker. I found a 16" fan that moves 2500CFM on eBay, draws 17 amps IIRC. Gotta buy the seller's electrical kit separately, but I'm in the whole deal about $75. The fan's also reversible if you need it to push instead of pull. Seller is Skip White (White Performance).

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 01:17 AM

I have read that the Taurus fan pulls around 4500 cfm and is a 2 speed fan. I don't r member how many amps it pulls off the top of my head. but i am thinking around 40-50 amps. there is a member on the board here that can get you a hhr fan and plug in cheep.I am going for the Taurus fan because my car is going to be a street strip car and don't think 2500 will be enough for me.thanks Mopar65
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 01:23 AM

Quote:

I have read that the Taurus fan pulls around 4500 cfm and is a 2 speed fan. I don't r member how many amps it pulls off the top of my head. but i am thinking around 40-50 amps. there is a member on the board here that can get you a hhr fan and plug in cheep.I am going for the Taurus fan because my car is going to be a street strip car and don't think 2500 will be enough for me.thanks Mopar65

You can get the HHR fan from member/moderator Eric.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 03:09 AM

Mid 90's Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 is the fan to get. High CFM, Oem durability, and cheap at junkyards. I run mine on the high speed circiut wiht a SPAL PWM controller and a 40 amp fuse.

Attached picture 4891926-FanPics003.jpg

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 03:16 AM

Azzkikrcuda did you put any kind of foam to the edge of the fan so it would seal to the rad core or did you just bolt the fan to the rad as is? thanks Mopar65
Posted By: hot67cuda

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 03:22 AM

They are the bestgreat amount of air,but u will need a good alt.and some minor fab skills i have mine in front of my rad.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/21/08 05:10 AM

I run a mid-90's V6 Taurus one as well...flows big air and pulls lots of amps on startup. You better have a good alt...

Also, I run a maxi-fuse on it with a big relay and a temp control relay.
Posted By: tpabayflyer

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/22/08 08:29 PM

Yeah.. I got one from the junky and it works great. I tested in my battery to make sure it worked and it put out more thrust than a Piper Cub propeller ..... Unfortunately it was just a tad bit too deep to fit on my Cordoba so I ordered up an HHR fan. It arrived last week broke in about 5 pieces and it is getting pretty frustrating trying to get GMpartsdirect to replace it.... TBF
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/23/08 03:52 AM

TBF, I recieved my HHR in less then a week and in perfect condition. Yours took almost A month and its broken into five pieces. That sucks!, I hope you get that issue resolved with GMpartsdirect. mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 12/23/08 02:03 PM

Posted By: blowndart

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/23/08 03:46 PM

What are the dimensions of the HHR fan? Any one have a pic?
Posted By: cudarex

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/23/08 04:44 PM

Quote:

Fits a 22" rad. perfect.

This pic. curtousy of Goodys
Posted By: itali83

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/24/08 02:09 AM

How many CFM's and amps does the HHR fan pull? How much do they cost? Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 12/24/08 03:19 AM

Posted By: codfish

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/24/08 03:43 AM

Quote:

Don't know the exact CFM but they move a ton of air.....I believe someone checked and said 18 amps at start-up....about $80 shipped with a factory connector.

Eric do you have a part number? You still selling them?

I have a 16" Zirgo that I want to replace.

thanks and merry christmas

codfish

EDIT

Does that thickness of 3.875", include the shroud? And is the shroud included?

thx
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/24/08 04:24 AM

I have the HHR Fan on my radiator as well.

Posted By: codfish

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/25/08 12:41 AM

codfish
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/25/08 12:57 AM

Quote:

codfish

Yes that 3.875 dimension includes the shroud, and yes it comes all in one molded piece .

GM
part# 15817306 Fan

part# 12101917 Connector spord.

mike
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/25/08 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Fits a 22" rad. perfect.

This pic. curtousy of Goodys

Thats a summit radiator actually, I want to say its around 27" long and the core itself is 22" (or so, its been awhile).

Just avoiding confusion if someone glanced and thought it was a stock 22" rad. The HHR fan is still running great! I also have added a 2-speed Taurus fan to my daily driver ranger, that fan is also very good. Pulls a ton of are on high.
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/25/08 03:35 AM

Thanks everyone.

Do any of these fans fit the OE Mopar radiators?

How much rigging is involved to make it fit?

HO HO HO !

Hey! Who you callin a HO?
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/25/08 05:52 AM

http://www.go-part.com/0607-chevrolet-ch...m_campaign=BROI
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/26/08 03:52 AM

A little less common, the Lincoln Mk8 supposedly flows the highest air volumes, don't know the amps or the cfm. In the 11 years I owned one, it performed beautifully in TX heat and never needed to be replaced.
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: Taurus electric fans - 12/26/08 09:14 PM

I picked up a couple of Lincoln Mark VIII fans at the junk yard for cheap, they move a ton of air indeed. The only problem with them is they have deep motors, so clearance could be a problem. I'm completely relocating my radiator in my A-100 to make room for them and a blower drive, so that was not such a concern, but in a regular car, it could cause problems.

Ran
© 2024 Moparts Forums