Moparts

5" bore space Mopar blocks

Posted By: Performance Only

5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/02/13 11:12 PM

If they were available, how many on here would consider using one. Naturally there would be heads, etc. to go with them.
I'm really curious if your answer is no, what the reason would be.
Naturally any engine combo like that wouldn't be cheap, so I realize that probably eliminates 98% of the people on Moparts.
Obviously nothing would be made by Mopar that would bolt on, but if you were looking for big power is that really a concern?
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/02/13 11:22 PM

I have a question, do you currently have some cylinder head prototypes in the works or is this just a interest gauge?
Posted By: BradH

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/02/13 11:28 PM

Quote:

... Naturally any engine combo like that wouldn't be cheap, so I realize that probably eliminates 98% of the people on Moparts.

I just looked over the survey... you can revise that to 99.5% by the time you eliminate the "906 heads" and "must have Mopar parts" contingent.

And I'm not even going to respond the survey 'cuz I KNOW I'm not the target audience. It's taken me this long just to consider running heads that require offset intake rockers and switching to a solid roller on the street.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/02/13 11:43 PM

this is my opinion. from what I see, the guys that really spend money don't even have jobs. those same guys are taking out their 632 big chief chevys and building small blocks. everyone wants to say they run a small block because a big block in most people eyes can be a 800 cube motor.

small block small tire shootouts are the most popular races I see where I'm at.

with that being said, what is the bore spacing of a gen 3 hemi and how big can it go
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/02/13 11:54 PM

i'll stick with my SB unless i hit the lotto
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 12:05 AM

Dan,I'am sure some will have an interest like the guys that go for the big Sonny's,Kasse's,Fulton and other exotic engines but the market would be limited to those with highend budgets.The more basic type of engine has a larger market.Lose of one or two small budget bracket customers and a business can survive,lose of one or two large budget customers can and will certainly effect your bottom line.After all it's not just a 5" bore space block its everything that goes with it that will drive the cost to where only a few will can play.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 12:13 AM

Quote:

If they were available, how many on here would consider using one. Naturally there would be heads, etc. to go with them.
I'm really curious if your answer is no, what the reason would be.
Naturally any engine combo like that wouldn't be cheap, so I realize that probably eliminates 98% of the people on Moparts.
Obviously nothing would be made by Mopar that would bolt on, but if you were looking for big power is that really a concern?

I have been trying to talk David into making a 5.0" Hemi block/head combo.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 02:07 AM

I dont have any concern for the big block stuff anymore
and with all of the special parts I couldnt afford it
Posted By: rickraw

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 04:20 AM

If i had Bob George's money i'd build 1. I'm like Mr.P, sb. My car is fast enough.
Posted By: cl440

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 04:37 AM

Although I would love to see it. I dont see myself ever needing or affording anything that exotic. I am a bracket racer and my Aluminum block and heads 540 may be as exotic as I can ever afford! More power to ya though!
Posted By: 64Post

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 06:46 AM

The dry, sarcastic post and poll questions cracked me up; I LOL’d…
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 02:43 PM

I would love to have one, depending on cyl. head choices.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 04:48 PM

I personally think our engines are too big and powerful now. It's hard to hook them up if the track is marginal. 800 horsepower works good and is obtainable with a pump gas Hemi. But since you want to talk about it...

It could be done by the right man. We know what we want. Externally it would look like a 426 Hemi, but it would be wider bore spacing and taller decks. The valve gear and ports would look like what Kaase and Sonny sell now.

Kaase and Sonny have done all the R&D for us already. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just set a 426 Hemi block and a Sonny's 5" Hemi on the bench and morph them.

It would be nice if Chrysler would get involved but that's probably not going to happen.

50 years ago Lynn Townsend walked out of his office and told his engineers "build the Hemi" and changed our lives forever. 40 years ago Keith Black built the aluminum Hemi. Now would be a good time for another man with vision to step up.

It wouldn't have to be for the money but it did make Keith Black and Sonny rich.

It would be for the dream. Just like 130 years ago when Karl Benz invented the small engine which made possible the automobile. You have to have a man of vision and work ethic to get anything done.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 05:17 PM

Funny! I want the whole motor for $5500, 1500 hp, low mantenance
Seriously, a look at how many B1TS motors have been built ought to shed light on the market out there. If the power potential was up there like the BBC stuff, and the cost was reasonable (on par), then MAYBE the Mopar deal might sell some. But not being able to use a lot of stock based stuff (different crank, intakes, heads,water pump type, etc) ) will narrow the market to the point I doubt that it could be priced competitively.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 05:26 PM

I don't know for shue but didn't Indy build a wider bore block and special head for a wedge about 10-15 years ago? 4.90 if I remember right. Anyway the BBC crank and alot of other small parts could be used to keep the cost down.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

Funny! I want the whole motor for $5500, 1500 hp, low mantenance
Seriously, a look at how many B1TS motors have been built ought to shed light on the market out there. If the power potential was up there like the BBC stuff, and the cost was reasonable (on par), then MAYBE the Mopar deal might sell some. But not being able to use a lot of stock based stuff (different crank, intakes, heads,water pump type, etc) ) will narrow the market to the point I doubt that it could be priced competitively. [/quote
You beat me to the stripe
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 05:44 PM

Will I be able to use my new 60mm roller Purpleshaft .509 cam????

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 05:47 PM

I wish I had the means. I've got a pretty decent mental capacity to design some things. If I had the means, I would sell the block associated parts at cost with maybe a $50-100 profit margin because I personally would rather flood the market with outstanding mopar based parts than make a profit. But for me, it would be a side project and for most, they are trying make a living off of it. I'm built different in that way. I just wish we had more crazy mopar fanatics willing to throw money at a development project like this. When Mike Moran built and designed his new 5.3 BS turbo hemi motor, I have to believe he was just building something he thought would be cool because I doubt he will turn a major profit with it being that the market audience is so small. He just wanted to advance turbo technology. I say why not advance Mopars as well.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 05:49 PM

Guess my question is whats the point? There are already plenty of 5" and 5.3" bore space stuff out there on the market. They are not Ford or Chevy so why try and make something and call it Mopar? Those 5 and 5.3BS engines are purpose built race pieces period. If someone wants to step up to that level there are options out there now.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Guess my question is whats the point? There are already plenty of 5" and 5.3" bore space stuff out there on the market. They are not Ford or Chevy so why try and make something and call it Mopar? Those 5 and 5.3BS engines are purpose built race pieces period. If someone wants to step up to that level there are options out there now.

Why would someone want to build another one of these, just to call it a Mopar? It costs a ton o money in head research and configuration and then you have to sell them. Indy has a 4.84 bore center block for the 600-13 head, but that head doesn't get it done like a predator would. Although, who could blame them for not spending the money to do it? Besides, people would say it's not a Mopar anyway.......buy a "purpose built race motor" if you want more power, period.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 08:11 PM

Al and Tom saved me from typing a reply
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 08:43 PM

I would buy them in a Heart-Beat Really both the chevy & ford racers don't just have them,they buy and use them.I have always paid more $$$ to build and race my Mopars and don't mind doing it.But you can't put enough $$$ into a engine to compete against someone with a 100-200 more cu. in. than you.If the chevy & ford racers can have them and have them at a decent price why can't we?
It would be nice if for once all fellow Mopar Racers would get behind this and at least support it,so the ones of us who want the parts could get them. Even if you don't want them now it would be available later if you had a change of heart.

Now I know the idea might seem a little far fetch,but I don't think Dan would post something like this to get everyones opinion unless he had some idea he could get it done if there was a market for it.

Thats all we do on here is work against each other trying to put all our fellow Mopar racers down.I don't think I need to tell anyone but,the chevy & ford people all work together to try and put the Mopar people down.Why can't us Mopar Racers be that way?
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 09:45 PM

Looks more like you are taking a poll to see how many people have a clue on what a 5" bore space block is. I smell an underlying purpose to this poll. .
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 09:56 PM

At this point, I'd take a current re-design of a Millennium HEMI in 4.800, or 4.840, with a cylinder block available in multiple configurations......from the iron, to billet, to CG, optional pan rail spacing, cam placement and diameters, deck heights, water/solid, blank lifter pads, etc.........and have it be AVALIABLE in under 8 years at less than the cost of the gross national product of an emerging nation.

I know........WAY too much to ask.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 10:01 PM

Quote:

I would buy them in a Heart-Beat Really both the chevy & ford racers don't just have them,they buy and use them.I have always paid more $$$ to build and race my Mopars and don't mind doing it.But you can't put enough $$$ into a engine to compete against someone with a 100-200 more cu. in. than you.If the chevy & ford racers can have them and have them at a decent price why can't we?
It would be nice if for once all fellow Mopar Racers would get behind this and at least support it,so the ones of us who want the parts could get them. Even if you don't want them now it would be available later if you had a change of heart.

Now I know the idea might seem a little far fetch,but I don't think Dan would post something like this to get everyones opinion unless he had some idea he could get it done if there was a market for it.

Thats all we do on here is work against each other trying to put all our fellow Mopar racers down.I don't think I need to tell anyone but,the chevy & ford people all work together to try and put the Mopar people down.Why can't us Mopar Racers be that way?

Why would I BS Dan by saying.. sure I want one.. if
he is looking for a REAL idea of how much support
it would have... I sold off by B-1 M/C heads and mega
block because I cant get my nhra license any longer
and I had a good bit of coin in that engine... could
I build something of what he is asking... I doubt it...
I would rather be honest with him
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 10:16 PM

I look at racing this way. I've gone 8.40's with a set of 440-1 heads so my next step is going to be more compression and B1's. That should get me to some low 8's. I figure if I want to take the next step I could always play with some NOS. Maybe if I was younger and rich I would look at it a little differently.
Not a dragster guy or I would go fast the easy way.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 10:31 PM

a 5.0 Hemi would help the Outlaw nitrous racers keep a Mopar engine in their cars and be competitive. Right now a Mopar nitrous motor cannot keep up with the 760+ ci Chevy/Ford motors out there. But, those 670ci turbo Chevy motors can't touch a blown Hemi... its a trade off...

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/03/13 11:20 PM

Quote:

If i had Bob George's money i'd build 1. I'm like Mr.P, sb. My car is fast enough.

If I had your money I wouldn't need mine Do you really call your engine a "small block" All kidding aside Rich you have a great running "big" small block and one beautiful car.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 12:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I asked for fellow Mopar racers to support/back it only, not lie to him telling him you were gonna buy one. You know just maybe a Hey Dan its not for me but I think it might be great for some of the other Mopar racers.
Everyone knows you are a "Well Respected Man" on here and a Good word from you would go a long ways in helping get something like this up and going.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 12:34 AM

Quote:

Man I get weary of the cheapshots anymore. Seems like half the "online machinist" here act like they work for nasa and your a good for nothing purist poor boy if you dont patron them.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 12:34 AM

I asked for fellow Mopar racers to support/back it only, not lie to him telling him you were gonna buy one. You know just maybe a Hey Dan its not for me but I think it might be great for some of the other Mopar racers.
Everyone knows you are a "Well Respected Man" on here and a Good word from you would go a long ways in helping get something like this up and going.

Sure it would be nice if it were out there and at
a reasonable price(considering that the demand would
be on the low side... I would think(could be way wrong)
but Dan sure doesnt need any backing/words by little
old me... but if he were to do something like this I
would wish him the best of luck
Oh... thanks for the kind words

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 12:58 AM

I'm still waiting for the 1200 dollar 440source blocks to be released.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 01:07 AM

Some people just dont get it..So maybe large print will help.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 760" FORD OR CHEVY!!!

These are simply purpose built race engines. ANY 5 or 5.3" bore space deal is simply that. They are no more a Chevy or Ford than a Mopar variant would be. Criminy some Mopar guys kill me..They complain that there is nothing "mopar" out there like that to compete with. Well I hate to tell ya but there aint nothing Ford or Chevy out there either. Only CN Billet, Sonny's or Dart etc stuff. I winder how many here have ever even SEEN a 5, or 5.3" borespace deal.

BTW there are large bore space "Mopar" heads out there already.....Of course no one remembers the 99 Hemi stuff I guess.

If you want a 5 or 5.3" bore space engine than buy or build one. Heck get a sonny's "hemi" and call it a mopar. 99% of the people out there wont know it is not a Mopar anyway

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 01:48 AM

Quote:

These are simply purpose built race engines. ANY 5 or 5.3" bore space deal is simply that. They are no more a Chevy or Ford than a Mopar variant would be. Criminy some Mopar guys kill me..They complain that there is nothing "mopar" out there like that to compete with. Well I hate to tell ya but there aint nothing Ford or Chevy out there either. Only CN Billet, Sonny's or Dart etc stuff. I winder how many here have ever even SEEN a 5, or 5.3" borespace deal.

BTW there are large bore space "Mopar" heads out there already.....Of course no one remembers the 99 Hemi stuff I guess.

If you want a 5 or 5.3" bore space engine than buy or build one. Heck get a sonny's "hemi" and call it a mopar. 99% of the people out there wont know it is not a Mopar anyway

The Chevy 5.0-5.3" take a Chevy waterpump... and Chevy bellhousing.

If the motor takes a Hemi water pump/housing, damper, flywheel/tranny, distributor, gear drive, I'd call it a Mopar motor
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 01:50 AM

how about just a decent iron wedge block thats comparable in price to a gm aftermarket race block.everything mopar costs way more period.and its either use a 30 year old questionable block or shell out the second mortgage and wait 6mos,7mos,8mos,or whatever the going waiting period is.its high time somebody step up and ease the burden,if comparably priced and quality parts were readily available,it would sell!!! its not rocket science.seems every time somebody steps up it becomes a 10,000 dollar piece and then it disappears...
Posted By: jkwedge540

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 01:53 AM

I am in, but it would have to be a water block and a new wedge head that does not look like a ford or chevy.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 01:56 AM

Quote:

That's what they are called and what you have to ask for if interested in buying.Its not that I don't agree with you that is just what they are called.

Now I agree with you on that 100% there are Mopar racers that will look right at a Big Chief BBC and can't or do not know the difference.
And the chevy people could care less what it is.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 03:19 AM

Quote:

You have no idea how many times people Came up to my old 640 b1-TS engines and asked if it was a Hemi.

NOw That I have a 650 ci 5in BS Hemi. People come up and ask if its an original 426 Hemi.... Depending on the day I tell them yup... right out of gramma's grocery getter. Other days I'll take the time to explain what it is.

The block under my 5in Hemi Heads is a Donovan 5 in block. Just blank lifter galley and head bolts. Goodwin Placed them where they have to be to bolt on the Mopar 99 5 in heads.

After building two b1-TS engines with the 4.840 BS's stuff I wouldn't say it wasn't much of any advantage for the extra cost.

I guess i'm one of the 99% that needs something of this level of performance. It doesn't take a endless pocket book to run these engines. It takes budgeting, not making the same mistake twice, do it right the first time, and spend wisely and where it needs to be spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4GwYlnBCQ8

Attached picture 7946153-hemicassel.jpg
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 03:47 AM

Maybe the Rottler can machine a block out to a 5" bore space?
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 03:50 AM

Dan..

Just develop a head that will bolt up on a Chevy block and put Mopar somewhere on it.. Done..

Best of both worlds..

Chris..
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Man I get weary of the cheapshots anymore. Seems like half the "online machinist" here act like they work for nasa and your a good for nothing purist poor boy if you dont patron them.

He is speaking the truth ...

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 02:53 PM

Quote:

I'm still waiting for the 1200 dollar 440source blocks to be released.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 03:38 PM

Aside from all the off cuff remarks and humor and respectful of the more serious responses we must appreciate Dan and others that put the idea of the possibilities of anything new and different out for us to share our opinions and thoughts.
Any new products that need development needs to be reshearched and that starts with an idea and if there is a market.Dan is doing the correct procedure.He has a feisable idea and is trying to determine if there is a market.
Posted By: Chuck@Best_Machine

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 03:45 PM

Here is a picture of the Mopar / Titan 5.0" BS block the was used for IHRA Pro Stock with the 5.0 BS Hemi 99 Heads

BTW; Indy owns the core box

Attached picture 7946562-031611012.jpg

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 03:47 PM

Attached picture 7946567-030311010.jpg

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 03:49 PM

Attached picture 7946568-030311030.jpg

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it's a shame you feel that way. Judging by the responses so far, some people get it and some obviously don't. I realize most people here are bracket racers and have no interest in actually competing in the faster classes whether it be for fear or money limitations.
I'm not going to cast engine blocks and I refuse to pay Mopar a licensing fee just to put their name on a block or heads. As a group we constantly use chevy size rods, reverse flow setups using chevy water pumps, etc. etc. etc.
selling to the Mopar crowd only is a losing proposition and it's been proven time and time again. Koleno is out of business, World is basically done with mopar, Dart has no interest in casting a Mopar block and the list goes on and on. Indy has much of the market cornered with stuff that'll get you in the 1100-1200 HP range after you fix all the problems. Ritter can't seem to make a block that's useable without having a boat load of dough by the time you make it useable, if that's even possible.
Obviously I don't work for NASA, but I do have the drive and the means to build something different than what is currently on the market for Big cubic inch horsepower. I'm not interested in using a big chief, "99" heads, Thor or any of the current offerings for cylinder heads. Thats been done already. I'm not looking to be a copy cat. I do appreciate the replies so far but I have to admit it's pretty much what I expected.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

Just put the dist. In the front and ta-da it's a Mopar

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 05:22 PM

I can only conclude that Dan asked for replies and as always you get good and bad.But knowing Dan's humble beginnings and his passion and to see how far he has advanced with his shop and abilities I applaud his efforts to advance even furthur in the possibilities of developing and marketing other products.My response was my opinion of the probibility and statistics of a market volume availabe to warrant such a costly undertaking.With what is already offered in the mentioned configuration,one can see the cost and varify the demand or market value available.
We see others struggling to produce blocks and the issues they have with almost standard configurations.My comments were not and never intended to deminish Dan's inquire but to put it in perspective of fiesability,marketability and profitability.
Respectfully Bob.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 06:03 PM

Quote:

I realize most people here are bracket racers and have no interest in actually competing in the faster classes whether it be for fear or money limitations.

honestly Dan what are you going to come up with that can be called a "mopar" just as others have mentioned at this level calling it anything but an engine is a stretch.

i commend anyone for "thinking" about the mopar crowd but the fact is it's a very limited market, there's a reason others have/are bailing out

Quote:

I'm not interested in using a big chief, "99" heads, Thor or any of the current offerings for cylinder heads.

so what would you use and call it a mopar? for the most part none of the current head offerings used in the fast classes (with the exception of blown hemi) from anyone has any relation to passenger car heads. the "hemi" 99 isn't a hemi (not that i care) nor are any of the heads being used on the fast "chevys"

believe me i'd like to be able to look at a big engine and call it a mopar but lets be honest at that level it's just an engine and putting a "mopar" type head on it is only going to strangle the performance potential

if it's down to distributor location (many use front drive) or bellhousing pattern i guess it's a matter of opinion as to it being chevy, mopar or ford

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 06:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think it's a shame you feel that way. Judging by the responses so far, some people get it and some obviously don't. I realize most people here are bracket racers and have no interest in actually competing in the faster classes whether it be for fear or money limitations.
I'm not going to cast engine blocks and I refuse to pay Mopar a licensing fee just to put their name on a block or heads. As a group we constantly use chevy size rods, reverse flow setups using chevy water pumps, etc. etc. etc.
selling to the Mopar crowd only is a losing proposition and it's been proven time and time again. Koleno is out of business, World is basically done with mopar, Dart has no interest in casting a Mopar block and the list goes on and on. Indy has much of the market cornered with stuff that'll get you in the 1100-1200 HP range after you fix all the problems. Ritter can't seem to make a block that's useable without having a boat load of dough by the time you make it useable, if that's even possible.
Obviously I don't work for NASA, but I do have the drive and the means to build something different than what is currently on the market for Big cubic inch horsepower. I'm not interested in using a big chief, "99" heads, Thor or any of the current offerings for cylinder heads. Thats been done already. I'm not looking to be a copy cat. I do appreciate the replies so far but I have to admit it's pretty much what I expected.

Dan,I know it won't mean much by just me saying it....but I Appreciate and "Salute You" Sir for trying to help your fellow Mopar Racers out!

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 06:30 PM

This thread = frustration.

Its obvious from reading this thread that Mopars can't have progression and innovation.

Dan, my advice is to just do it. Say screw the market and put it out anyway. Moran did it, why not you too.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 06:31 PM

Build it & they will come. Guaranteed there would be alot more faster Mopars competing against these Ferds & Chebbys if we had bigger & better choices (and hopefully more reasonable priced). I'll bet many of the Brand X racers would be running Mopars but know it's way cheaper to build a SBF or SBC/BBC combo.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I realize most people here are bracket racers and have no interest in actually competing in the faster classes whether it be for fear or money limitations.

honestly Dan what are you going to come up with that can be called a "mopar" just as others have mentioned at this level calling it anything but an engine is a stretch.

i commend anyone for "thinking" about the mopar crowd but the fact is it's a very limited market, there's a reason others have/are bailing out

Quote:

I'm not interested in using a big chief, "99" heads, Thor or any of the current offerings for cylinder heads.

so what would you use and call it a mopar? for the most part none of the current head offerings used in the fast classes (with the exception of blown hemi) from anyone has any relation to passenger car heads. the "hemi" 99 isn't a hemi (not that i care) nor are any of the heads being used on the fast "chevys"

believe me i'd like to be able to look at a big engine and call it a mopar but lets be honest at that level it's just an engine and putting a "mopar" type head on it is only going to strangle the performance potential

if it's down to distributor location (many use front drive) or bellhousing pattern i guess it's a matter of opinion as to it being chevy, mopar or ford

Does it really matter so much if it "looks" like a Mopar or says Mopar on it? None of the large bore space blocks even resemble a Mopar, Chevy or ford. I think anyone that wants big power and is serious about it doesn't care about a cast in name or a sticker placed on the block, heads, etc. People buy the Kaase, Buck, Leonard, etc. engines based on their power needs, not what it says on the side of a part.
Maybe I should offer a 60MM purple shaft cam option, will that make it a Mopar. Heck no since Mopar never made a 60MM cam.
I fully understand any lack of interest from the guys on this site. As I said before, most are bracket racers or street strip guys and that's cool by me. I get it. There might be less than a handful of guys here that would show any true interest in a reliable big cube/ high HP (1500+ hp) engine without spinning it too the moon.
Other than the block, many of the parts that go in this type of engine are pretty generic. Winberg cranks, custom cams, pistons, keyway jesel lifters, etc. etc. As racers many people choose those same types of parts in their engines. The only thing Mopar in even a good bracket motor is possibly a factory block, the rest of the parts are made by somebody else, i.e. edelbrock, Indy, Comp Cams, CP, Diamond, Venolia, GRP etc. etc. so in reality what I'm planning is not that much different.
An Indy headed world, Indy, KB block is NOT a Mopar engine even though some Mopar stuff bolts up to it.
The design for the block and heads is still in the engineering stages. I know full well the market is limited, but there is a market nonetheless. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, regardless of what that reply might've been.
Over the years (since 1998) you guy's have supported my business in different ways, sales, recommendations, etc. and for that I say thank you.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 06:58 PM

Maybe I am naive so help me out a little here. What is going to make this new venture at 5, or 5.3" bore space motor a "Mopar", the bellhousing pattern? Someone wanting to put a TF behind a 5" bore space motor out there? Sounds to me more like you are considering developing a new 5/5.3 BS engine platform?!? So I ask again what makes it a Mopar? Maybe I am just missing the point here.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 07:01 PM

While I applaud the idea, simple answer is I can't afford it. My B-1 is the limit of my budget and even that is problematic. The economy isn't helping. Good luck. S/F...Ken M

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 08:05 PM

Everybody keeps saying, what makes it a Mopar. You put a big Chief, Kaase, and Black Hemi on engine stands 100 feet away I can tell no doubt which manufacture it started from. What I'm saying it doesn't mater if it wasn't put in a production car. If you can't tell the difference because it doesn't say Mopar you are the problem. Go for it Dan!

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 08:18 PM

Dan you're making my point. you ask who would be interested in a 5" bore space mopar block, i ask what is it that will make it a "mopar"

i applaud anyone that wants to go through the trouble and expense to bring new parts to market it's a huge undertaking

just for arguments sake if someone were to do what you're asking about how would it be marketed? i assume you're wanting to call it a mopar 5" bore space block. what "mopar" style heads are going to fit on it?

there's no need to keep on with the purple shaft thing as you already mentioned even the current "mopar" dimension blocks, heads etc. aren't mopar so i still don't understand what it is that's going to set this apart to be called a mopar. having said that the current blocks available pretty much share the same dimensions, layout and appearance as the originals

once you get into most of the big stuff it shares little if anything with factory offerings and imho just because they paste a PN or name on it doesn't make it a factory part

i'm not trying to dissuade anyone from their efforts but if people really want to run at that level the market is already pretty saturated with proven designs and components

to bring out a new platform, call it a mopar and be offended because there isn't a great interest then claim it's because the "mopar" crowd doesn't want to advance just doesn't make sense imho

the majority of the mopar crowd is content to stay with factory style components and performance. this doesn't make them inferior just different. i run chryslers to be different and as far as i can ever see myself going is a KB block and B1 heads or the like. these i personally feel can be loosely considered chrysler because of dimensions etc. if i were to want to go faster it would only make sense to go with one of the already available engine designs

lets be honest in it's as designed form (except hemi) the bb chrysler (especially heads) is behind the as designed engines of other manufactures

believe me as i again say i applaud entrepreneurial spirit but to blame a failure on lack of market is not the responsibility of the market but the businessman

i guess it's just a matter of opinion and they vary greatly

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just put the dist. In the front and ta-da it's a Mopar

What about the chevy water pump, timing chain cover, oil pan and transmission ???

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 09:52 PM

If your going to do what you want and as you say "expected the type of response" then why ask for our opinions in the first place.So go for it,your success or failure will be your responsibilty.Being a engine builder and machinist is only a part of being in business.Customer relations and salesmanship are equally important as well as building a reputation based on mutual respect.I know some successful manufactures than can be more successful if the work on the people interaction aspect of business.I still maintain that for any product or business to be successful you must research the need or market demand.
To create a product without a ready market demand is financial suicide.You may as well take the money and invest in the stock market.You will have a better chance of not loosing it all.I personally know a company that is producing blocks and heads and is in dire straits financially because of the manufacturing cost and not having a ready market or a viable marketing stragity.All the ducks need to be in a row before the money is spent.A good argument to be made is when a company tries to secure funding either through banks or investers they must present a viable perspectus for any financial consideraion.This plan must not only show what you intend on building but more importantly market stragity and profitability.No one will invest without seeing a potential of investment return and profit.
What ever you decide to do,I wish you the best.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/04/13 11:39 PM

if aftermarket blocks were as cheap as gm blocks i would buy 1 for sure
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 03:01 PM

At this level, I'd think the only things that could really be "Mopar" about the block would be the water pump and possibly the distributor location?

I'll never be able to (or want to) afford something like this.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 03:56 PM

Dan. thanks for your interest in producing another option for a race block. The reason I run the Mopar stuff is, those are the parts I started with and have gathered over the years. Mopar has really done nothing for the T/D crowd, thus chasing many of us away from using Mopar stuff. The emblem means nothing to me. What means something is, a powerful enough motor to get me in the middle of the field, that can be bracket raced, live for 200 passes,and just need standard lifters/rings/valve springs/bearings/etc. Also, the cost of said motor should be under or around $35,000 like the other offerings out there. If I had something like that (1350-1400HP)I would sell my current stuff, and buy it. Until then, I will still qualify in the top half or be bumped out, or go back to S/C, because these classes are getting ridiculous for the N/A bunch. Thanks for trying,

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

Dan. thanks for your interest in producing another option for a race block. The reason I run the Mopar stuff is, those are the parts I started with and have gathered over the years. Mopar has really done nothing for the T/D crowd, thus chasing many of us away from using Mopar stuff. The emblem means nothing to me. What means something is, a powerful enough motor to get me in the middle of the field, that can be bracket raced, live for 200 passes,and just need standard lifters/rings/valve springs/bearings/etc. Also, the cost of said motor should be under or around $35,000 like the other offerings out there. If I had something like that (1350-1400HP)I would sell my current stuff, and buy it. Until then, I will still qualify in the top half or be bumped out, or go back to S/C, because these classes are getting ridiculous for the N/A bunch. Thanks for trying,

We won't be doing cast aluminum blocks, they will be Billet blocks which raises the price of the engine significantly all by itslef. If all we could do is make 13-1400 HP I wouldn't even consider building it. Our goals are much higher than that in N/A form. Thanks for your comments.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 06:38 PM

high end parts are just that,high end thoroughbred racing parts.the brand is the manufacturer,not the car manufacturer.what bolts up to it relates to what "brand" it is in terms of mopar,ford,or gm groupies are concerned.i still believe that just a basic quality aftermarket block,thats fits the needs of the masses at a reasonable comparable price would literaly fly off the shelves.there are countless aftermarket quality parts out there to fill that block with.but,without a good solid base block we are all limited to less than stellar output figures without a life insurance policy.a good block could be used even for a lower hp application,BUT,still have the ability to grow with your wallet....for the high end racers,cn makes a billet 4.800 hemi block with a list of options as long as your arm,if you have 10 grand "laying" around.....all that being said,if you feel you could produce a better product than whats available out there now,GO FOR IT,after all,there are those who buy sonnys 1003 ci "godfather" 2150 hp monster even at the 150,000 dollar price tag............

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 06:40 PM

Quote:

high end parts are just that,high end thoroughbred racing parts.the brand is the manufacturer,not the car manufacturer.what bolts up to it relates to what "brand" it is in terms of mopar,ford,or gm groupies are concerned.i still believe that just a basic quality aftermarket block,thats fits the needs of the masses at a reasonable comparable price would literaly fly off the shelves.there are countless aftermarket quality parts out there to fill that block with.but,without a good solid base block we are all limited to less than stellar output figures without a life insurance policy.a good block could be used even for a lower hp application,BUT,still have the ability to grow with your wallet....

Sounds awesome Dan! I'm guessing you guys are looking something over 1800HP then. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Posted By: 68CudaB1

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 07:07 PM

Heck, Best Machine had trouble selling the 5 pairs of B1 PSO heads they did, I don't see the demand for a 5" block.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 07:42 PM

I wish our hobby would embrace more items like this.

We had a 5" bore space 738" motor for sale for like mmmmm 5 years before it sold at a discounted price to a NSS racer....

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 08:14 PM

Quote:

We had a 5" bore space 738" motor for sale for like mmmmm 5 years before it sold at a discounted price to a NSS racer....

That doesn't surprise me in the least. The big inch motors fit into a more specialized arena, so to speak.

As far as having plain old cast Mopar blocks to bolt parts on, you already have that. You can buy Indy blocks all day long. once you fix any machining errors you're good to go. They'll handle 1500-2000 HP, what more do you want?
I'm not sure why some people thing casting blocks is such an easy and inexpensive thing to do, because it's not. Just look at how many have tried and failed. One thing is for sure, I'm never going to go down that pothole filled road.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't surprise me in the least. The big inch motors fit into a more specialized arena, so to speak.

As far as having plain old cast Mopar blocks to bolt parts on, you already have that. You can buy Indy blocks all day long. once you fix any machining errors you're good to go. They'll handle 1500-2000 HP, what more do you want?
I'm not sure why some people thing casting blocks is such an easy and inexpensive thing to do, because it's not. Just look at how many have tried and failed. One thing is for sure, I'm never going to go down that pothole filled road.

casting an engine whether it be iron or aluminum is expensive, not so much the molten material but in the amount of man hours and materials/equipment to build the core box's to cast them in, as far as a block of billet aluminum to machine a block, that by far isn't cheap either, then you have many man hours to make a program and one decmal point off with in that program and you could very easily have a big block of scrap and a pile of chips.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

casting an engine whether it be iron or aluminum is expensive, not so much the molten material but in the amount of man hours and materials/equipment to build the core box's to cast them in, as far as a block of billet aluminum to machine a block, that by far isn't cheap either, then you have many man hours to make a program and one decmal point off with in that program and you could very easily have a big block of scrap and a pile of chips.

Casting,billit or what ever,it's still going to be a limited market.As Josh mentioned you can sit on these specilized blocks till you find sonone who needs it or give it away.To jump into that market is as I said before financial suicide.But heck if you want to put a rope around your neck and jump off a stool then have at.I'll hold my breath untill I see your first production run. No I won't,I can't hold my breath that long.J/K Good luck anyway.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 10:04 PM

Now I know why us Mopar Racers don't have the all the parts chevy & ford have.We are all still stuck in the era.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 10:14 PM

Quote:

Now I know why us Mopar Racers don't have the all the parts chevy & ford have.We are all still stuck in the era.

Its not so much that but if you could sell 1000
vs 50 then you could sell at a lesser price and
in the end do more development

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Its not so much that but if you could sell 1000
vs 50 then you could sell at a lesser price and
in the end do more development

It's not that we are stuck in the era,but some of us remenants of the era.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 10:37 PM

I agree also,but,dinosaurs aren't around anymore for a reason,they probably tasted good................
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 10:51 PM

Here are my thoughts.......to the masses, what makes an engine a Ford, Chevy or Mopar boils down to the basic appearance of the block. Al is right, in that all these BIG aftermarket motors are exactly that, aftermarket motors........BUT.....you can get one of these blocks based on a Ford or Chevy. A 5.300 bore space Chevy, still LOOKS like a big Chevy, just based on the appearance of the block. Same for the Ford. Technically there is already a 5.0 bore space block out there you COULD call a Mopar, because it has a Mopar water pump face, is a skirted block and has a flat pan rail. Of course it's a CN billet, but there IS one.

Now for the heads. A GOOD head for ANY of these big bore space motors is going to be a symmetrical, spread port, wedge head. A configuration that came on NOTHING from the factory, but I guess is closer to a BBF than anything if you got right down to it............Now the Mopar guys are going to scream HEMI, but a TRUE HEMI head is NOT going to happen, nor is it needed. The Sonny's Hemi and the 99Hemi both are WAY closer to wedge than Hemi, so you can just forget the quest for the REAL big bore hemi.......So that brings us to this point. There are already some GREAT 5.0 spore space heads out there, so trying to make something LOOK like a Mopar is a frivolous thought. You are NOT going to make something WAY better than is already out there.

So to answer the original question that started this thread.......yeah, I would buy a 5.0 bore space block based from a Mopar......if I could get my choice of head bolt patterns and use some of the existing 5.0 heads out there........But NOT because it has a Mopar water pump and NOT because it had a Mopar trans pattern or something silly like that. The reason would be the skirted, cross bolted design of the block

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 11:01 PM

Quote:

Heck, Best Machine had trouble selling the 5 pairs of B1 PSO heads they did, I don't see the demand for a 5" block.

Because at the end of the day, those heads STILL bolt on a bore limited, 4.800 bore space block. If that head was cast in a 4.840 to bolt on the Indy or other 4.840 block, THEN you would have something.

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 11:17 PM

exactly right,if its a rambler,call it a rambler..............

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 11:23 PM

The way I see its not such an uphill battle. The block and head are the only things new, everything else is already in place, pistons rods cranks valves cams rockers lifters pushrods geardrives ect. in any size you want. Valve covers and intakes are made up also. What I'm saying is all the parts on an engine now are aftermarket, so incorporate it all, you don't have to reinvent the whole thing.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 11:27 PM

The reason would be the skirted, cross bolted design of the block

Monte

Exactly......that's the best trait of an aftermarket Mopar.
Posted By: 68CudaB1

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/05/13 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Because at the end of the day, those heads STILL bolt on a bore limited, 4.800 bore space block. If that head was cast in a 4.840 to bolt on the Indy or other 4.840 block, THEN you would have something.

Monte

The Predator heads fit your scenario? My point is Mopar people will not spend the $$$.......

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

The Predator heads fit your scenario? My point is Mopar people will not spend the $$$.......

You are right I would NEVER buy one with a bbchevy head on it. Hemi head or no head, Mopar or no car. Guess we could like a certain wheelstander car did, had a chevy engine with hemi valve covers bolted over the chevy covers and fake plug
wires. Said he couldn't afford the hemi

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 12:11 AM

Some of you guys try to make it sound so easy to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on racing. Most of us as racers own our cars, do as much work on them as we can to save a buck, and go racing. We are not like dirt track racers and have teams helping financially like they do. My local dirt track (Lernerville) consists mostly of teams, people that never drive the car, and many never touch the car, but they pay to be part of "the team". Look at MY CAR out there going laps. Drag racing at the local level is not like that. We have a wife and house, and kids that hopefully come first. We are not cheap racers, we are budget racers. But we do race.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 12:28 AM

Quote:

Some of you guys try to make it sound so easy to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on racing. Most of us as racers own our cars, do as much work on them as we can to save a buck, and go racing. We are not like dirt track racers and have teams helping financially like they do. My local dirt track (Lernerville) consists mostly of teams, people that never drive the car, and many never touch the car, but they pay to be part of "the team". Look at MY CAR out there going laps. Drag racing at the local level is not like that. We have a wife and house, and kids that hopefully come first. We are not cheap racers, we are budget racers. But we do race.

Great post, and my thoughts exactly when I posted earlier. It gets irritating when some of us who are not wealthy but NOT cheapskates without desire for innovaton either, get thrown in with the op's "98 percent".

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 12:28 AM

Monte kinda got to the point I was trying to make. What exactly are you going to do that will make it as "mopar". And as already alluded to they do already exist from CN...If you are willing to fork over $9200-10000+

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 12:30 AM

Predator heads will not fit on a 4.84 bore center block. I have 2 sets, and did spend the money. They are good heads, but need more bore IMO.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 12:34 AM

Oh....and the hemi 99 stuff makes good power and is available, just expensive for the stuff that lasts, and high maintenance.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 12:39 AM

There are a lot of valid points in this thread.

IMO there already is a Mopar 5.0 and 5.3" bore space block out there. Just because you are used to seeing it in Chevies does not make it a GM engine. If someone made a one piece oil pan spacer cap arrangement with cross bolts main caps would that make you think it is a mopar? How about if they made it fit a mopar bell housing? Do you hear the chevy guys complaining about their shaft rockers or gear rotors in their dry sump pumps complain? In any of these purpose designed and built engines there are a lot of ideas robbed from all three of the big American manufacturers. It just seems the Chevy guys are more interested in going fast and not about whether or not they can buy their valve cover gaskets at the local auto parts store.

Leon
Posted By: PETE@BESTMACHINE

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 02:07 AM

I consider this a very good 5" bore space engine at that cubic inch. It has the 99 hemi heads and as been as quick as 6.61 210.50 at 2300 lbs. How many people are willing to run something that makes peak power that high? That is the nature of the beast with that kind of power. I wish we had a current parts like those today.

Attached picture 7948548-676Hemi5inchBorespace.jpg
Posted By: Diablo

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 06:50 AM

Quote:

I consider this a very good 5" bore space engine at that cubic inch. It has the 99 hemi heads and as been as quick as 6.61 210.50 at 2300 lbs. How many people are willing to run something that makes peak power that high? That is the nature of the beast with that kind of power. I wish we had a current parts like those today.

And what cubic inch would this be at?
Posted By: PETE@BESTMACHINE

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 02:38 PM

The engine is 676 CI and has a cast block modified for the Hemi 99 Head, I am sure its close to the limit. Awesome job by the engine builder and car owner.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 05:04 PM

Quote:

Maybe I am naive so help me out a little here. What is going to make this new venture at 5, or 5.3" bore space motor a "Mopar", the bellhousing pattern? Someone wanting to put a TF behind a 5" bore space motor out there? Sounds to me more like you are considering developing a new 5/5.3 BS engine platform?!? So I ask again what makes it a Mopar? Maybe I am just missing the point here.

I don't get it either. What market is this going after???? I see that your saying you have no interest in using already cast heads. If it doesn't matter that it looks like a mopar engine. If it is a complete one off, and it doesn't bolt up to mopar mounts or accessorries how is different than any other big inch IHRA type pro stock motor. Just like a Sonnys motor has almost no commonality to a BBC it sounds like this motor will have no commonality to a mopar. Its already clear that a large portion of the mopar crowd doesn't need a motor a like that. I would be willing to bet its because most people don't need something with that level of performance. If your intent is to a build a one off motor that has no resemblence to existing mopar platforms and is not liscensed by mopar, why target a mostly hobbiest level brand loyal website. Sounds like you need to take the mystery engine to PRI and put it up next to Sonnys or other high end builders. Go after the high end crowd that isn't focused on brand loyalty racing. But that isn't going to be an easy feat to jump in the big leagues with them and compete. I wish you luck with whatever your thinking of building.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 05:25 PM

Good morning fellow racers.
I have noticed most of the ones are against a Mopar 5.0 block because they say its not a "True Mopar",but I have also noticed that most of these people that are saying that all have 500+ cu. in. Indy or B1 engines and Proudly call them Mopar engines.Now I myself have always run/raced these engines and called them Mopar,I have even gone so far as to post pictures of my dragster with both the all aluminum 528 cu. in. and 622 cu. in. engines,and no one has ever said "Wait A Minute That's No Mopar Engine". Now I don't know about you all but I had rather have a 5.0 bore engine that I could call a Mopar engine than have to call it a brand xxx engine.And I have not 1 but 2 of the Brand XXX engines.And I just tried to post a picture of my red dragster with the engine in it and it would not post said it was to BIG and it said hit the return button to go back and when I did it Deleted everything,this is no lie.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 05:33 PM

It always does that. Are you paranoid or what.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 05:38 PM

and it said hit the return button to go back and when I did it Deleted everything,this is no lie.

Yeah anytime you hit the back button it will...
what you need to learn is to copy then hit back and
then you can paste it in again after you correct your
issue

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 06:20 PM

Mr_P,Pittsburghracer,the 2 of you have been running Mopars long enough to know as long as I have run them I have to be a True Mopar person and too Hard Headed to do anything the easy way.
I not only think us Mopar Racers need a 5.0 block but I would buy one even if it were 1-1/2 times higher than the Brand XXX just so I could call it a Mopar.
And thats what this post is about to get opinions and it does not anger me like it seems to do others who have different opinions.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 06:47 PM

Hey my Keith Black block says MOPAR on it. I truly wish Dan all the luck in the world with this project. I know Dan and had some great dealings with him. To see his shop grow over the years thru some really bad years tells us all he can do what it takes to become successful. Just look around and see how many shops have closed over the late 10 years. Hard work and many sleepless nights is what it takes at times and they do what it takes. I'm a bracket racer because that's all I can afford to do as it is for many others. Some of the issues these aftermarket blocks have drive guys away from the sport.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Mr_P,Pittsburghracer,the 2 of you have been running Mopars long enough to know as long as I have run them I have to be a True Mopar person and too Hard Headed to do anything the easy way.
I not only think us Mopar Racers need a 5.0 block but I would buy one even if it were 1-1/2 times higher than the Brand XXX just so I could call it a Mopar.
And thats what this post is about to get opinions and it does not anger me like it seems to do others who have different opinions.

I've been racing a Mopar from the FIRST time I was
ever on the track.... at first I worked for GM in their
labs and owned a 62 Dart.. after I got out of the
service I didnt want to go back to GM so I hired into
Chrysler in their labs... they gave me a pay check
for 35 years and payed my retirement... so yes I am
VERY brand loyal... and all we own are mopars for
all of our daily drivers... will I ever own a 5.0+
bore spacing block... I really doubt it, only due to
I cant race faster than 10.0 now days and with my
lighter cars it doesnt take much HP to get there..
I understand that Dan is just looking but all the best
to him IF he decided to jump

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 08:55 PM

First of all, Let me say thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts, opinions etc. regardless if they were positive or negative in nature.
Anyone with any sense knows that what I'm planning is a narrow market but also a very competitive market. It's not something that's going to drive me to the poor house or put me out of business like some might think or suggest.
If everyone was content through the years with what was currently available at the time, we wouldn't have half the products or technology we have today. As far as I'm concerned there isn't anything made today that can't be improved upon tomorrow.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

You are right I would NEVER buy one with a bbchevy head on it. Hemi head or no head, Mopar or no car.

And there you go.......Too much of THIS attitude among Mopar guys, is the reason we don't have cutting edge parts. You are going to have to explain to me how a Predator is a BB Chevy head. Last time I checked, they bolted on a 4.800 bore space Mopar block and NOTHING else, plus they are a spread port head. Show me ONE BB Chevy that EVER came from the factory with a spread port head.

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/06/13 11:33 PM

Well said Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 12:13 AM

And there you go.......Too much of THIS attitude among Mopar guys, is the reason we don't have cutting edge parts. You are going to have to explain to me how a Predator is a BB Chevy head. Last time I checked, they bolted on a 4.800 bore space Mopar block and NOTHING else, plus they are a spread port head. Show me ONE BB Chevy that EVER came from the factory with a spread port head.

Monte

This attitude is called passion for a certain manufactor, if you don't just hate it when a
GM car wins, your not a true blood Mopar man. If a Mopar with a mopar enginie is not in the final I go home and when a Mopar wins what a felling,now that's attitude!
You get cutting edge parts through innovation, not sticking your nose up the GM guys butt doing what he's already done, you'll always be one step behind eating crumbs.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 12:24 AM

Quote:

Monte

This attitude is called passion for a certain manufactor, if you don't just hate it when a
GM car wins, your not a true blood Mopar man. If a Mopar with a mopar enginie is not in the final I go home and when a Mopar wins what a felling,now that's attitude!
You get cutting edge parts through innovation, not sticking your nose up the GM guys butt doing what he's already done, you'll always be one step behind eating crumbs.

So you're saying it needs to be a factory block and factory heads, since nothing made in the aftermarket is actually mopar. It might bolt up but mopar didn't make it. Obviously you don't cheer on the top fulel or pro stock mopar teams either, since they aren't mopar parts either.
How far do you take it?
Posted By: MattW

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 12:54 AM

I do agree with Monty and do believe this is why MOPARS are at the bottom of the food chain.
It doesn't bother me which way you choose to take your beliefs. But I do have one question.
Where would the G3 hemi be placed in? Is it a Mopar or LS engine?
Pull the heads and its very similar to the Ls.
Matt.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 01:06 AM

Some how my point is not getting through. There are very very few parts made by "Mopar" on the engine now. A top fuel engine still resembles a Mopar Hemi, looks like it feels like it but not made by Mopar. There are certain things that define a Mopar,just like Chevys and Fords have theirs. It does't look like a chevy or ford does it? Real Mona Lisa fake Mona Lisa still look the same. Heck just make a square box to put it in with the headers sticking out then put it in a square car like NASCAR does and put a decal saying whos manufacture it is today and root for smiling Johnny B. Quick. Make somthing that stands out from the crowd not just blend in. Mopar guys have money they are just smarter with it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 02:12 AM

How about one with dual overhead cams and get rid of the pushrods.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 02:33 AM

Quote:

Some how my point is not getting through. There are very very few parts made by "Mopar" on the engine now. A top fuel engine still resembles a Mopar Hemi, looks like it feels like it but not made by Mopar. There are certain things that define a Mopar,just like Chevys and Fords have theirs. It does't look like a chevy or ford does it? Real Mona Lisa fake Mona Lisa still look the same. Heck just make a square box to put it in with the headers sticking out then put it in a square car like NASCAR does and put a decal saying whos manufacture it is today and root for smiling Johnny B. Quick. Make somthing that stands out from the crowd not just blend in. Mopar guys have money they are just smarter with it.

You never answered my question about how a Predator head is like a BBC head, since NO BBC EVER came with a head like that.

And did you root for the Mopar Pro Stocks when they ran the "Eicke" head.

If all Mopar guys had you attitude about building something new and innovative, we would be getting our butts kicked worse than we are. Bottom line, there is NO head that LOOKS like a Mopar head than can remotely compete with the other brands on a heads up level. So I guess that's the way you like it huh........And DON"T say what about Top Fuel. That engine has as much in common with a factory Hemi as my lawn mower engine, which has the spark plug in the middle of the head.

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 02:55 AM

A good starting point would be to make a cast water version of AJPE 5.3 Hemi. A lot of designing has already been done, rocker gear, head bolt pattern, intakes, gaskets/o-rings, valve covers, etc.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 03:02 AM

Another major issue is that these "die hard" Mopar guys are way too hung up on the Hemi head. A large bore Hemi headed motor is NOT the way to make big N/A power. You need a wedge for that. Hemis make big power when they are boosted or blown, other than that, not so much.

Can you imagine how HEAVY the piston would be in a TRUE Hemi motor with say a 4.750 bore......jeez, you would need the hoist to put pistons in the thing........LOL!!!

Monte
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 03:05 AM

Quote:

A good starting point would be to make a cast water version of AJPE 5.3 Hemi. A lot of designing has already been done, rocker gear, head bolt pattern, intakes, gaskets/o-rings, valve covers, etc.

for drag weekers I could use a head that flows over 620

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 03:06 AM

Quote:

What would be the point in doing that? Please explain.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 04:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You never answered my question about how a Predator head is like a BBC head, since NO BBC EVER came with a head like that.

If all Mopar guys had you attitude about building something new and innovative, we would be getting our butts kicked worse than we are. Bottom line, there is NO head that LOOKS like a Mopar head than can remotely compete with the other brands on a heads up level. So I guess that's the way you like it huh........And DON"T say what about Top Fuel. That engine has as much in common with a factory Hemi as my lawn mower engine, which has the spark plug in the middle of the head.

Monte

fist time i saw the predator head i said to myself they put a chevy-oldsmobile "design" (not sure you understand the difference) head on a mopar. haven't watched prostock since Alderman. and if you say the top fuel engine doesn't look like a 426 hemi i might as well be talking to a 5 year old, oh and where do we run the competition heads up other than prostock and don't say the stutter box classes. and with enough attitudes we wouldn't have to put up with the junk made today,they can't make a cast block that's worth a darn, with all the technology today we can't even equal the 1950s casting process. the age of greatness is dead and gone

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 04:55 AM

that's what I think also,come on! they have been casting blocks since the beginning of time.every time something new springs up,its overwhelmed with problems and goes belly up.you don't see problems like that with model t's and a's,they were cast by cavemen and are still around.the technology is there to do it right,but those who do it are obviously escapees from bellview,or,just not getting the right people.the factories do it everyday,why cant others???? my guess is if its cast right the first time,instead of 357 changes and upgrades it wouldn't cost 4grand for a block,and another 4 grand to get it machined just to work......nuff said.....

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 06:02 AM

Cudaman, I'm a diehard like you but your argument lacks weight in the area of resolve. Your argument doesn't solve the design flaws in current Mopar configurations. Its doesn't aid in finding options for Mopar racers that want to advance past 40year old technology. As a person working on designing a new cylinder head, there are many flaws in the wedge design that you simply cannot use when you want to make over 2.5HP/ci. Improving and building upon these flaws is how we advance and sometimes the flaws are such that its more beneficial to start with a clean sheet. I for one go so upset of over not having any options I took upon myself to do my own canted head design and start the legwork for it. That design looks nothing like a Mopar head due to current OEM constraints, you can achieve much more by moving the configuration around and that is the innovation of design. Finding ways to better what was done in the past and having the guts to purpose design something brand new for the mopar faithful. You don't have to walk in the footsteps of the past to advance a design, your learn from what was done and use that to create something new purpose built for use with a mopar product.

I give much props to anyone willing to think outside the box and progress mopar technology. I sure plan to as I'm given the opportunity.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 06:40 AM

Hmm, if you're looking for higher specific output per cube, and you're fabricating something completely new, I get away from the V-8 configuration all together. Cut the back two cylinders off one block, and the front two off another, make a V-12. An easy 850+ inches and a fewer issues with valve train.

Or something OHC like a McGee. S/F....Ken M

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

Hmm, if you're looking for higher specific output per cube, and you're fabricating something completely new, I get away from the V-8 configuration all together. Cut the back two cylinders off one block, and the front two off another, make a V-12. An easy 850+ inches and a fewer issues with valve train.

Or something OHC like a McGee. S/F....Ken M

But you have all the weight and you still didnt increase
the HP/CI ratio

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 06:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Some how my point is not getting through. There are very very few parts made by "Mopar" on the engine now. A top fuel engine still resembles a Mopar Hemi, looks like it feels like it but not made by Mopar. There are certain things that define a Mopar,just like Chevys and Fords have theirs. It doesn't look like a chevy or ford does it? Real Mona Lisa fake Mona Lisa still look the same. Heck just make a square box to put it in with the headers sticking out then put it in a square car like NASCAR does and put a decal saying whos manufacture it is today and root for smiling Johnny B. Quick. Make somthing that stands out from the crowd not just blend in. Mopar guys have money they are just smarter with it.

Monte

fist time i saw the predator head i said to myself they put a chevy-oldsmobile "design" (not sure you understand the difference) head on a mopar. haven't watched prostock since Alderman. and if you say the top fuel engine doesn't look like a 426 hemi i might as well be talking to a 5 year old, oh and where do we run the competition heads up other than prostock and don't say the stutter box classes. and with enough attitudes we wouldn't have to put up with the junk made today,they can't make a cast block that's worth a darn, with all the technology today we can't even equal the 1950s casting process. the age of greatness is dead and gone

I don't understand the difference...yeah right...LOL!! Where do we run heads up.........oh, I don't know, how about Pro-Mod and any number of other heads up classes all over the country. Pro-Stock and that technology doesn't mean squat to you and me. Because even if we could afford one, try taking it to your local track and enter a "heads-up" class and you will be on the trailer first round. And while we are on that subject, care to tell me what factory Mopar head our current Pro-Stock head closely resembles. The answer, NONE.

You like Alderman, ok, lets look at that. They started with the B-1, then the PSO, then the TS. So had that development line kept going, do you think the next heads would have LOOKED like a Chrysler head, hell no. It would have been another aftermarket race head, just like is on every other motor out there. Warren Johnson more or less designed the head that became known as the DRCE and virtually EVERY wedge head, for virtually EVERY make, now follows that basic principle. Our own Pro-Stock Hemi is nothing more than a "twisted" wedge chamber with the plug through the middle of it. It is not even CLOSE to a Hemi, but Mopar chose some slick marketing to get the fans to jump on board by calling it such and getting all the "die hards" to accept it.

Monte
Posted By: moparmafia

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 10:38 PM

The way i see it is the mopar crowd that is the problem. every time a new product comes out or is even thought of it has to go through the usual bullcrap from the mopar masses. I have ford and chevy friends and never not ONE time have i heard them complain that their new product looks like the last one, all they care about is function of the product. most of the parts on their cars were produced by an aftermarket company and they do not complain. i am surprised a mopar supplier can accomplish anything with all the bs. how does mopar even come out with a newly designed car since it looks nothing like what is already out there on the street. heck it cant be a mopar if it looks totally different. all i heard when the new charger came out is how ugly they are and they shouldnt be called a mopar. i heard it all weekend at the mopar nats that first year they were out. i got so sick of hearing it and i actually like them 4 doors and all. even though now they are accepted by most they had to go through the same bs. i say if you can afford to make anything mopar better or faster than by all means go ahead and do not listen to the whiny mopar stiffs who cannot accept change and just leave them be. I am die hard mopar but i am willing to accept change because its the only way to improve.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 10:48 PM

Quote:

The way i see it is the mopar crowd that is the problem. every time a new product comes out or is even thought of it has to go through the usual bullcrap from the mopar masses. I have ford and chevy friends and never not ONE time have i heard them complain that their new product looks like the last one, all they care about is function of the product. most of the parts on their cars were produced by an aftermarket company and they do not complain. i am surprised a mopar supplier can accomplish anything with all the bs. how does mopar even come out with a newly designed car since it looks nothing like what is already out there on the street. heck it cant be a mopar if it looks totally different. all i heard when the new charger came out is how ugly they are and they shouldnt be called a mopar. i heard it all weekend at the mopar nats that first year they were out. i got so sick of hearing it and i actually like them 4 doors and all. even though now they are accepted by most they had to go through the same bs. i say if you can afford to make anything mopar better or faster than by all means go ahead and do not listen to the whiny mopar stiffs who cannot accept change and just leave them be. I am die hard mopar but i am willing to accept change because its the only way to improve.

1000%.... a LOT of these guys are still living
in the 60s.. I'll take anything that will help go fast...
hell I have chevy rods in all my stuff... granted
when the Ram truck first came out I didnt care for
it but look at it now... truck of the year 2 times
in a row
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/07/13 11:03 PM

Anything that is "Mopar" that furthers the Mopar banner is fine by me.

True, the 5 and 5.3 Chevys and Fords are pretty far removed from the stock stuff, BUT, they're evolutions of them so that's why they call them Chevys and Fords and fair enough. Mopar guys should have the same right to call it "ours" as well.

The purist in me would want it to somewhat resemble a Mopar in some aspect, but it's not the main issue by along shot. If it used a BB water pump and a Y block confit, that would more than satisfy the "purist" in me. A head configured something like a SB2.2 would kind of look like a BB and be able to use a canted/HEMI valve arrangement.

Also, if it was a cast block I imagine it could be sold cheaper and you probably would get more of them out the door. Would cast be strong enough for the 1800 HP range? That 5300 AJPE HEMI looks pretty slick, a cast block and wedge head would be sweet.

If I could afford one I would definitely go with a 5/5.3 Mopar

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 12:26 AM

Ok first ill address Monte, finally zeroed in on where you coming from, the head. The head configuration is not what defines a mopar by itself,the distributor,timing chain boss that sticks out from the block,oil pump on external front,and skirted block DEFINES A MOPAR. AS far as heads up racing there is none in the DC. Va. MD. area that i know of, it was tried a couple times and the big guys thew cubic money at it and poof gone. I'm sure we will have to use the twisted head till someone builds a better head down the road.It wasn't so much Alderman i was watching but the wedge head and i knew they where doomed because they where limited on bore size(for big valves)WE both have opinions and that's what makes the world go around, have a good day.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 01:12 AM

moparmafia, since you mentioned Chevy guys,as a group, if you say i got a race car they want to know what type chevy you got, then look at me real funny when i say mopar, not a clue. Chevy's got your kings and then you got your peasants, like people who join those cult groups, not saying we don't have our fair share but we tend to be more in the thinking group and not eat what's shoved in front of us. More of an educated consumer. Now the "Charger"... a 4-door butt-ugly car, call it a Coronet not the great Charger name,same for the new Dart, you can only take so much blasphemy for the sake of marketing.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 02:32 AM

Quote:

But you have all the weight and you still didnt increase
the HP/CI ratio

Sure you can, more cylinders means lower weight for each part(piston, valve, etc.) The 3L V12's and V10's always made more power than the V8s in F1. You need less recip and valvetrain weight, so you can pull more RPM. Part of the reason for huge bores and short strokes, reduce piston velocity for better ring seal, not just so you can get huge valves in, but there's that too.

Anyways, you build the parts to fit the rules. With no idea of the rules, no point in spec'ing parts. S/F....Ken M

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 03:00 AM

this forum needs a b double e double r u n beer run,all u need is a ten and a fiver,car and a key and a sober driver,b double e double r u n,beer run,oh,and some excedrine...............

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 03:14 AM

Quote:

Another major issue is that these "die hard" Mopar guys are way too hung up on the Hemi head. A large bore Hemi headed motor is NOT the way to make big N/A power. You need a wedge for that. Hemis make big power when they are boosted or blown, other than that, not so much.

Can you imagine how HEAVY the piston would be in a TRUE Hemi motor with say a 4.750 bore......jeez, you would need the hoist to put pistons in the thing........LOL!!!

Monte

The block can be made for both Hemi and Wedge heads. Wedges for Monte and Hemi's for those that want to be faster.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 03:22 AM

Quote:

Ok first ill address Monte, finally zeroed in on where you coming from, the head. The head configuration is not what defines a mopar by itself,the distributor,timing chain boss that sticks out from the block,oil pump on external front,and skirted block DEFINES A MOPAR. AS far as heads up racing there is none in the DC. Va. MD. area that i know of, it was tried a couple times and the big guys thew cubic money at it and poof gone. I'm sure we will have to use the twisted head till someone builds a better head down the road.It wasn't so much Alderman i was watching but the wedge head and i knew they where doomed because they where limited on bore size(for big valves)WE both have opinions and that's what makes the world go around, have a good day.

I don't know about Summerduck dragstrip. But, there are heads up races in VA just about every weekend. And a friend races several tracks in Maryland in 10.5 outlaw at least once a month.

Leon

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 03:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know about Summerduck dragstrip. But, there are heads up races in VA just about every weekend. And a friend races several tracks in Maryland in 10.5 outlaw at least once a month.

Leon

Don't forget Cecil County's monthly Outlaw series
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 05:28 AM

I've talked to Sonny's.....

They told me their HEMI makes more steam than their wedge in these engines. That head is FAR closer to a MOPAR than ANYTHING "chevy". Make that casting look more like the 426 style from the outside and there ya go.

Do a wide pan spacing for windage like the CN billet, with a front mount distributor and you have something that appears way more MOPAR than the next generation "chevy" ( ) HEMI.
Posted By: ex_cuda_guy

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 01:37 PM

We all want to race a mopar...that's one thing we all agree on. The Ford and Chevy guys are also brand loyal BUT they KNOW the designs are not factory. All they want is the Illusion that it's a Ford a or Chevy. So, if the block and heads are offered by a KNOWN chevy guy.. Like Sonny Lennard then, hell, THAT's a Chevy! The concept is fairly simple. We , or I should say Dan, can do the same thing. It's really all about marketing...(and)..how sick we are of getting beat by brand X'ers. just my

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 01:41 PM

This being Dans own opinion,I ask why ask for the poll in the first place?This has turned out to be a lesson in futility and is far removed from anyones imput being even considered.If he is planning on entering the market,then we wish him the best of luck.
It did make for interesting conversation and a host of ideas and opinions but in the end the only persons idea he is interested is his own.That the cost eliminates 98% of the people on Moparts speaks volumes about Dans opinion of many here on Moparts which I strongly disagree.
If he would take this to other sites that deal strickly with this type of engine,I think the results would be similar.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

This being Dans own opinion,I ask why ask for the poll in the first place?This has turned out to be a lesson in futility and is far removed from anyones imput being even considered.If he is planning on entering the market,then we wish him the best of luck.
It did make for interesting conversation and a host of ideas and opinions but in the end the only persons idea he is interested is his own.That the cost eliminates 98% of the people on Moparts speaks volumes about Dans opinion of many here on Moparts which I strongly disagree.
If he would take this to other sites that deal strickly with this type of engine,I think the results would be similar.

I probably should've chosen my words a little bit better so as to not give the wrong impression, let me explain. 98% of the people on Moparts are bracket racers or street strip guys. I seriously doubt anyone running brackets or street strip cars is going to spring for the kind of coin it would take to buy what I'm proposing. It has nothing to do with the size of their bank account and everything to do with their needs and desires. 98% simply don't need or desire a billet block with 5+ inch bore spacing. That doesn't mean some of those very same people wouldn't have valuable opinions regarding the subject though. In case you didn't notice, there happens to be some pretty smart people that hang out around here. If I didn't want any input or opinions other than my own I wouldn't have posted it here in the first place.
Posted By: Jerry Kathe

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 03:33 PM

People simply need to be realistic, if you’re interested in maximum effort power levels you won’t be doing that with oem designs, if oem designs outweigh your desire to achieve maximum effort, so be it. There is a place for all of us.

I would be all about going to the next level with Chrysler compatible parts, don’t really give a damn what they look like, it’s all about $ per HP and longevity. If Chrysler oriented racers are going to see evolution with technology, the gouging has to stop – why the hell would I or anyone else who is somewhat financially savvy want to spend over 40K for 1300 hp on a naturally aspirated bracket piece when you can buy two GM foundations that make the same power for the price of one in Chrysler clothing? I have pride…..I just don’t have ego.

I don’t need a lecture on economic, marketing or business practices – I get it……

However, to turn this market around for Chrysler enthusiasts; a solid, financially stable entity needs to come to the table with “volume of sales” as the objective for profit and not simply “percentage of margin per transaction”…..any loyalist with deep pockets out there want to change history?

I’m sure it would be a bumpy ride on the front half, but the market is there for sustainability…..Indy has already proven that.

I don’t know Dan, or what his thoughts are, but if you’re on our team….don’t discourage him.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I probably should've chosen my words a little bit better so as to not give the wrong impression, let me explain. 98% of the people on Moparts are bracket racers or street strip guys. I seriously doubt anyone running brackets or street strip cars is going to spring for the kind of coin it would take to buy what I'm proposing. It has nothing to do with the size of their bank account and everything to do with their needs and desires. 98% simply don't need or desire a billet block with 5+ inch bore spacing. That doesn't mean some of those very same people wouldn't have valuable opinions regarding the subject though. In case you didn't notice, there happens to be some pretty smart people that hang out around here. If I didn't want any input or opinions other than my own I wouldn't have posted it here in the first place.

Dan, we can both agree that the statement is misleading and yes I have noticed and some pretty smart guys here on Moparts and respect them and their opinions.Most of them seem to ask "why reinvent the wheel" since what you propose is already available and there is a gage for demand and market which is pretty limited.I also respect you and consider you a friend and as such is only comment out of respect and concern as to why take on such a project.I don't doubt your ability or passion but take the position of a savy businessman and would never take on a project with out having an knowledge of financial reward.I have been approched many times to invest in business ventures and would not consider them with out a solid plan from manufacturing,marketing and profitablity.Just raw materials and residuil waste recovery cost is astronomical let along design and machining cost.As only responding as a respectful friend,I hope you have considered my comments of concern for what their true valve are,and again If this is something your going to persue,I wish you the best.
Respectfully,
Bob

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 04:27 PM

I believe the bottom line is ,if there was no market or money in this,why would cn spend the time effort and money on programing,machinery, and engineering to do a billet hemi block?obviously,its there,if you can build a better mousetrap,it will catch mice........also,they are sold on a order basis so there isn't 100 of these sitting around,pay a deposit,a block is built.good common sense from a business perspective.cn isn't doing these blocks for health reasons,there is a market or it would never be offered in their catalog......................
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 04:47 PM

Dan for what class would this engine fit into? To me it seems pretty simple , run a power adder instead of going to the expense of this type of engine if one has to be a Mopar. The fast guys I see on here and other sites use adders.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 04:57 PM

Quote:

I believe the bottom line is ,if there was no market or money in this,why would cn spend the time effort and money on programing,machinery, and engineering to do a billet hemi block?obviously,its there,if you can build a better mousetrap,it will catch mice........also,they are sold on a order basis so there isn't 100 of these sitting around,pay a deposit,a block is built.good common sense from a business perspective.cn isn't doing these blocks for health reasons,there is a market or it would never be offered in their catalog......................

There is a market,however it's a limited market.To go head to head with those who are producing these now would be a catch up and those who buys these are looking to a proven piece,then lets not forget all the other parts and support unless this will be something that uses what's already available which is also limited.A CNC center to machine blocks is a very expensive item on it's own.I gave my thoughts and opinion enough and won't belabor this subject anymore.I will await and see what and when Dan does with this and if he comes up with a new mousetrap and is sucessful,I will definately take an interest.Again I wish him the best.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 06:12 PM

I'm a Bracket Racer and own 2 of the Big Brand XXX engines,and would gladly sell them to buy a Big 5.0 Mopar engine.And I could care less if it looks like a slant 6 or Hemi as long as its a Mopar.
Some say Bracket Racers have no use or do not need such Big engines,well try and Qualify for a T/D or T/S field.

I'm a Racer and I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to have the Slowest race-car at the track.

If there is no need for such a Big engine,why do so many Racers have them?The reason there are no Mopar racers with them is there are none for us to have.Have I not made my point here,some of us not only want them but would buy and run them,and if us Mopar racers can not get them soon there will be no more Mopar racers.There comes a time when you have to do what you must if you want to race.

This is not the right/best word to use but the only one I can think of.Are the ones of you that are against this "Jealous" because if they were made the Mopar stuff you have would be out-dated...or you just do not want anyone to have anything better than what you have or can afford to own one?I just don't understand your reason's if its not for you,you would not have buy one.

Mopar has been stuck in the age for to long.

Had you not rather have this bring you a new 5.0 Mopar engine for Christmas?

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I am confused I guess. What got this discussion going was YOU saying the "first time I ever saw the Predator head, I said that's a BBC head" but NOW you say the head doesn't matter, it is the block that more or less defines the motor.

Me personally, all I want it some parts that make power. I don't give a damn what they look like. Call it a damn Rambler for all I care.

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/08/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I am confused I guess. What got this discussion going was YOU saying the "first time I ever saw the Predator head, I said that's a BBC head" but NOW you say the head doesn't matter, it is the block that more or less defines the motor.

Me personally, all I want it some parts that make power. I don't give a damn what they look like. Call it a damn Rambler for all I care.

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 12:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Hey that's an idea, Monte, a 5.3 bore space AMC Brewer head!!

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 02:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Hey that's an idea, Monte, a 5.3 bore space AMC Brewer head!!

Since I have and like what are considered "exotic" heads(TS, Predator) by the purists............I wouldn't want to piss anyone off, so I think I will have some Rambler or Nash decals made for my valve covers.......which one would be ok with you guys...........lol!!!......or maybe Desoto, that would be cool

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 02:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Easy to see you are not a Mopar man. "I want some parts that make power" then buy the Chevy stuff and join there side. Make sure you call it a Rambler or whatever. WE mopar guys will wait for that good block that we desire.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Easy to see you are not a Mopar man. "I want some parts that make power" then buy the Chevy stuff and join there side. Make sure you call it a Rambler or whatever. WE mopar guys will wait for that good block that we desire.

Just because I don't share your antiquated view of what should and shouldn't be a MOPAR part, makes me no less a Mopar person than you or anyone else...trust me.

And you NEVER said what makes the Predator look like a BBC to you. Like I said, NO BBC EVER came from the factory with a spreadport head like that. The Predator is an aftermarket RACE head that was specifically designed, to bolt on a 4.800 bore space Chrysler block. But since its appearance is not satisfactory to YOU, the rest of us get labeled as not REAL Mopar guys...........ok, gotcha, I'm clear now

Monte

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 03:05 AM

I have found these pointless fights over and over by Mopar guys. The thing I continue to notice is most mopar guys don't think Small Blocks were built until 1964. Not sure the year but don't recognize nothing but the B and RB big blocks.

We could all learn from history. I'm sure when the first 426 Hemi was built that there were plenty of Mopar guys flipping out saying they were not Mopar. I'm fairly sure some dared to call them a Chevy head. Sound ridiculous? It is no different in some of the modern head options that purest sprout up and label a chevy design.

I need to go refresh my mind by researching a few books. Not sure the author but have found them extremely interesting. "The Dodge Story", "The Plymouth Story", "The Chrysler Story", & "The Desoto Story". In these books we can find out where each of the engine platforms we know as Mopar Started. If I recall correctly the A was a Plymouth design. The B engines were from Dodge. Desoto and Chrysler both had hemi's neither that fit the RB style blocks. Look it up, don't quote me. Point is there was a time when guys would not put certain engine family engines in cars with nameplates that did not previously use that family of engines.

I don't like most modern Ford guys because they only know Mustangs. I can say the same for Chevy guys that only know 350 and 454. If you are a Mopar, Ford, or Chevy guy at least know the make you are a purist about. I just feel that so many that get into these petty arguments have no idea what they are arguing about.

I guess any Mopar engine that oils through the pushrod like a magnum is a chevy. Any rear that has C-clips is also Chevy. I have had the opportunity to work on a lot of the so-called purist engines. And tell them what those .990" pins fit. Then they say "Don't tell anybody I got Chevy parts in my Modda".

Dan, I wish you well with your plans. The only thing I could ask is why stop at 5.0" bore spacing or even 5.3". For the guys that want to be different. Go 4.960" as to come up .040 short to a chevy just like Mopar intended. Then the purest can be happy LOL.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 04:29 AM

Expanding on Leon's point, first we(Chrysler) had the polysphere head and now we have the Predator, both are canted/splayed valve heads. So, if you want to be technical the Predator IS a Chrysler design! And the Polysphere line of engines were some 10 years before the Chevy 396. OK, maybe Chevy was the first to race the design and I suppose you could argue that point if you wanted to. But, I think you will have to admit, Chevy does not have sole ownership of the splayed/canted valve factory head.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 05:18 AM

another new head design that bolts on a mopar block,would be fantastic,doesnt matter if it looks like a porcupine in heat,who cares! if its an advancement over whats currently available,is READILY available,and of course costs less than the entire car its going on,all the better.it may not have a mopar part number,but if it bolts to a mopar block,that makes it mopar specific and quite frankly who cares about the rest.brodix spits out a new head casting almost daily for something other than mopar.countless gm heads and variations.is it discrimination? nope,just business sense,if enough people e-mailed them to show an interest,who knows? maybe it could happen.the small block head market seems to be on a run,maybe big block and hemi will be next....but.... keep in mind,ALL us mopar junkies ALL have one thing in common...the search for the most horsepower,for the least amount of money....even if it is a rambler with a 5 in bore space block...
Posted By: dthemi

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 03:30 PM

Eventually the only distinguishable mopar characteristic will be the bell housing bolt pattern, but wait some of my hemi blocks have Chevy bolt pattern. So is it no longer a Mope?

Run a belt drive distributor and a crank driven oil pump, and there goes another need to make it mopar appearing. A hemi head can look like any manufacturer now too.

One of my cars has not one single Mopar factory part, or even a bolt in neither the body, chassis, drive train, or electrical. Yet it remains a mopar. So where is this nebulous line?

This dogmatic attachment to yesteryear is what I think has kept mopar out of the general racing public's eye. For me, I think anything coming out of the mopar world as far as parts go, are mopar parts, no matter what they look like. Should a mopar shop, or company build an entirely new engine from the manifold to the pan, that looks like everything else in racing world (Chevy/Ford) would to me be a mope. Sonny calls his stuff Chevy, and it looks like nothing chevrolet to me. Same with ford, why not us?

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 04:05 PM

I say go for it. I will even offer up myself as a testing platform for any new engine combo's FREE of charge. I will also place a product sticker on any of my race cars that are being used for testing.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 04:32 PM

X2. LOL I'll support Mich on my end. Still trying to get this one together.

Attached picture 7953151-100_1682[640x480-2].jpg

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 07:40 PM

sticker????aw,come on, Im thinking more along the line of a giant forehead tattoo!!!!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/09/13 09:20 PM

Quote:

sticker????aw,come on, Im thinking more along the line of a giant forehead tattoo!!!!

I was going to post earlier about this comment.

I always laugh when someone says "I'll put your sticker on my car" if you do this...

I get approached every year for sponsorship and so many guys know nothing about it.

Don't use that line when out looking for $$ is my advise.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/10/13 02:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was going to post earlier about this comment.

I always laugh when someone says "I'll put your sticker on my car" if you do this...

I get approached every year for sponsorship and so many guys know nothing about it.

Don't use that line when out looking for $$ is my advise.

I guess I should have put a LOL behind that statement. I take pride in not only owning my race cars but also the fact that I build my own engines and race on my on buck. NOBODY owns a piece of MY car. Just trying to lighten up the subject some.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/10/13 05:58 PM

I will be more than Happy to test the new Mopar engine.I have a 2011 Top of the Line 245"Mullis T/D that will handle the power with no problem and it painted solid black,there is room for any kind of logo and can be painted any color.Also still have my red dragster and hoping after the 1st of the year to have a new Mullis T/D built,and if the Red one sells before the 1st of the year will go ahead and put the $$$ for the new one to be built before the 1st of the year.So if needed I could test more than one engine combination at a time.This is no BS!
AGAIN I AM ALL FOR THE BIG BIG MOPAR BLOCK AND HEADS and CAN'T WAIT TO BUY OR GET ONE.

Here's wishing all my fellow racers a Merry Christmas!
Posted By: jkwedge540

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 12/11/13 05:06 AM

valve lay out is wrong.

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 10/28/14 08:17 PM

Did anything ever become of this? I would be surprised but had to ask....
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 10/28/14 08:45 PM

i dunno but if you got deep deep pockets you can get anything.

820 c.i. hemi lol

http://www.goodwincompetition.com/gc-5-0-semi-hemi-650-c-i/

5 inch bore space

only 75 thousand dollars
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 10/28/14 10:29 PM

A little strange at first to see one of Dan's threads come back up.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 10/28/14 10:35 PM

Quote:

same thing I was thinking, RIP

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 10/28/14 10:43 PM

Quote:

Sorry, didn't know something happened to him.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: 5" bore space Mopar blocks - 10/29/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, didn't know something happened to him.

Gone, but not forgotten. RIP, Dan.
© 2024 Moparts Forums