Moparts

Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here

Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 10:41 PM

Anyone out there know of any rear engine Mopars that were produced at the factory? I just bought one, and it was produced in 1966. What is it?
Posted By: Duner

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 10:51 PM

One of these?

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 10:54 PM

Post a pic of it
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 10:59 PM

I consider it a mid engine car and it came with a x-ram hemi.

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 11:02 PM

My 66 engine actually sits behind the rear wheels , and these were killer cars on the track.

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 11:06 PM

If your no talking about the Lemans type then are you referring the first hemi under glass?

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 11:09 PM

4 speed and 4.11 gear and plenty of them built. No Cross Ram !

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 11/30/13 11:12 PM

I dont know of any FACTORY produced rear engine built
in 66... they did have some odd ball stuff built by
outside companies once in a while
Posted By: dvw

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 12:48 AM

Quote:

Anyone out there know of any rear engine Mopars that were produced at the factory? I just bought one, and it was produced in 1966. What is it?

Simca?
Posted By: fed

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 12:57 AM

LoL!
Posted By: loren kraker

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 01:00 AM

Foretravel??
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 01:43 AM

It's a boat,
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 01:45 AM

go cart...............
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 01:47 AM

Quote:

It's a boat,

With a 4 speed and rear wheels?

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a boat,

Where does it say that in the original post? or in any post since from the original poster?
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 01:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a boat,

Where does it say that in the original post? or in any post since from the original poster?

Quote:

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a boat,

Quote:

Sorry, missed that. Maybe a corvair conversion?
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 02:04 AM

Chrysler tow motor?
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 02:24 AM

Jensen?

Edit: nevermind, those were conventional engine location.

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 03:11 AM

I am back from dinner, and only one person knew what it is. It's a Simca and they were big on the rally races. Original 12 inch wheels, and Omni/Horizen 13"wheels will fit, or so I have been told. Interesting little car and only weighs 1800 pounds.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 03:29 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/220505_simca.jpg

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 03:50 AM

Quote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/220505_simca.jpg

Yea Vern, you have the picture of the racers.
Posted By: cheapracer

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 07:00 AM

It's a Simca 1000 (GL&GLS). Built from 1962-1978 but only imported by Chrysler till 1972. You could get it in a two door ( rare) but 90% were four door. The ralley type are still being raced over seas today. Oh by the way I own a 1966 GLS 1000 4-door when it runs it sounds like a golf cart(52hp) and top speed is 76 mph.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 07:19 AM

Quote:

It's a Simca 1000 (GL&GLS). Built from 1962-1978 but only imported by Chrysler till 1972. You could get it in a two door ( rare) but 90% were four door. The ralley type are still being raced over seas today. Oh by the way I own a 1966 GLS 1000 4-door when it runs it sounds like a golf cart(52hp) and top speed is 76 mph.

Is that in the 1/4 or 1/8th ?
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 12:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that in the 1/4 or 1/8th ?

At Bonneville.

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 12:48 PM

Official factory built rear engine mopar statement seem to preclude imports.What part of the Simca was built by mopar?Although it was a great mind feast and fun trying to figure it out it was a little misleading since Chrysler sold them multiple years not just 66 and they were imports.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

My Dad was a stylist at Chrysler. We had several through the exec lease program. Including a Bertone bodied 2 door. The last one was a 71 which was the 1st car I wrecked after getting my license.
Doug

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 05:49 PM

It the 60s the Simca was an independet car manufacture,Ford,Chrysler and Rootes as well as others owned shares in Simca.In 1970 Chrysler bought over 77% of Simca shares.Although Chrysler imported them for domestic sales it was not till after 1970 that the pentastar was afixed to the Simca and Simca became Chrysler of Europe.Still and import and they went out of business a few years later.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 09:10 PM

mid life crisis chick magnet car?........heeeeeeeeeeey there ladies!! wanna go for a ride in my groovy simca??
Posted By: cheapracer

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/01/13 11:52 PM

Bob my 66 simca does have the penstar on the right fender and on the iner fender next to the vin it does say chrysler of france.Chrysler quit importing them in 1972 and replaced them with the colt-cricket as their cheap small car. From 1970-1972 the colt and simca was sold side by side but the colt won out because it was more reliable then the simca. The simca was chrysler's basterd car that didn't get as much press as the colt, that is why more people know what a colt is then what is a simca. I'm the second owner of a 1966 Simca GLS1000 (the fast one) for 8years and nothing has been touched, it has been setting in the back of my garage since I bought it in 2005. Some day I will get to it and I wish I knew how to post pics. of the car.

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/02/13 12:49 PM

The jest of the whole thing was what "official factory built rear engine mopar" was a misleading statement.It was a great mind inspiring quest and started a lot of people thinking and researching but turns out to be a car imported by Chrysler that was not produced under Chrysler's ownership until the 70s.Even in the 70s Rootes maintained a 20% ownership.The op should have stated what rear engine car was sold by Chrysler in 1966? the official factory built/by mopar promped a lot of confusion.When we first read the post I was in the company of one of our team who worked at and owned a Chrysler dealership in New York.He said the only car like that was the Simca and I dismissed it as we agreed it was not built by Chrysler but imported for the domestic market especially in 1966.It was not untill the 70s that Chrysler bought the majority shares and gained control of the mfg of Simca.Confusing,but fun.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/02/13 03:30 PM

It's actually not the only one, and I believe not the most succesful one either. Here is another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Imp

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/02/13 04:14 PM

Quote:

The jest of the whole thing was what "official factory built rear engine mopar" was a misleading statement.It was a great mind inspiring quest and started a lot of people thinking and researching but turns out to be a car imported by Chrysler that was not produced under Chrysler's ownership until the 70s.Even in the 70s Rootes maintained a 20% ownership.The op should have stated what rear engine car was sold by Chrysler in 1966? the official factory built/by mopar promped a lot of confusion.When we first read the post I was in the company of one of our team who worked at and owned a Chrysler dealership in New York.He said the only car like that was the Simca and I dismissed it as we agreed it was not built by Chrysler but imported for the domestic market especially in 1966.It was not untill the 70s that Chrysler bought the majority shares and gained control of the mfg of Simca.Confusing,but fun.

It did get people thinking outside the Mopar box and into the other items that Mopar has built and delt in over the years. What else has Mopar done? Boats, snowmobiles, mixers/blenders? We need some pictures!

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/02/13 05:19 PM

It did get people thinking outside the Mopar box and into the other items that Mopar has built and delt in over the years. What else has Mopar done? Boats, snowmobiles, mixers/blenders? We need some pictures!

Plus outboard motors, and if any one remembers the
snowboard with a small engine on it... up this way
we had the marine division here in the town of Marysville
right on the St. Clair river for testing

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/02/13 06:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chrysler Marine Division at Battle Creek Mi.made a host or weird stuff and were responsibe for rebuilding HP engines that went bad when tested before installing in cars.
Larry,we can always count on you to come up with something "strange".My little mind has enough confusing going on in it at my age.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/02/13 11:56 PM

Here's my Rear engine MOPAR

Attached picture 7944611-Boat001.jpg
Posted By: Dave_S

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/03/13 01:15 AM

That's a cool boat. Does it run?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/03/13 02:33 AM

Did when I sold it last summer...
'69 15ft Charger with '70 105 HP Chrysler OB
My father bought it new/used (long story) and then I bought it from him. Lost intrest/Time in going to the lake so instead of letting it sit here and rot, off it went!
I did love that boat...kind of a sleeper
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/03/13 03:09 AM

Quote:

Plus outboard motors, and if any one remembers the
snowboard with a small engine on it... up this way
we had the marine division here in the town of Marysville
right on the St. Clair river for testing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgdK1vKLzU Miss Desoto.

Attached picture 7944823-MissDeSotoWheeling.jpg
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/03/13 04:03 PM

Simca...My cousin Arnold is a mechanical engineer and started his career at Chrysler. One summer he came to visit and was talking about the Simca. He said while most cars were designed stout and then had weight, strength, etc reduced for economy, the Simca was the opposite. They built it cheap, ran it and then improved whatever broke. I know he wasn't very impressed with the car.

R.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/03/13 08:11 PM

Quote:

Here's my Rear engine MOPAR

Here's my 3.

Attached picture 7945586-wheelstanders.jpg
Posted By: deaks

Re: Official Factory Built Rear Engine Mopar Info Here - 12/03/13 10:44 PM

I had an Hillman Imp, i cut the roof off, lowered the doors and welded them up, fitted a roll bar, painted it military green with the white US stars, fitted larger wheels and tyres and had a soft top roof made for it. It looked very much like a mini moke. I drove it for over a year, great summer car, although they were know for blowing head gaskets, i never had a problem with mine.
Mick
Here's another english chrysler, can you guess where the idea for this came from.
http://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/picdeta...w=128&th=44
© 2024 Moparts Forums