Moparts

rollbar x braceing

Posted By: racerx

rollbar x braceing - 11/24/13 09:04 PM

Anyone run these bars to the upper rear shock mounts?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/24/13 09:25 PM

I did on an earlier cage in my car. Worked great.

Installed one on another early A-body.

Great if you do not have a bender. If you do a halo in the area of the package tray works nicer.

Leon

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 12:51 AM

Now from my understanding is the x brace helps support the hoop incase of a rollover correct?If thats the case then it just seems stronger to mount it to the frame/upper shock mount than to the floor as i have seen on some cars......JMO
Posted By: MPerry

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 12:59 AM

Mine are mounted between the main hoop and frame/shock mounts.
The stiffer the shock mounts are the better the chassis will respond to shock tuning changes.
Posted By: jcc

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 01:07 AM

I read the other day that in HP road use, the shocks actually undergo greater loading then the springs, when encountering rapid movements, which is something I hadn't given much concern about, and maybe I should.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 01:49 AM

my x braces run to the frame rail between the rear down tube and the ladder bar crossmember, the rear down tubes carry the coil-over shock mounts.

Attached picture 7935365-284.jpg
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 01:50 AM

from trunk

Attached picture 7935369-029.JPG
Posted By: dartman366

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 02:22 AM

Heres mine after I did my back half last winter, put the X bar in from the main hoop down to the frame right where the crossmember is and the down bars end up where the rear crossmember and shockmounts are,,hope they are seeable with my crappy camera at the time.

Attached picture 7935413-backhalf052.JPG
Posted By: dartman366

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 02:28 AM

looking in to the trunk.

Attached picture 7935419-backhalf050.JPG
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 03:22 PM

The most common and effective place to land the X-brace is just above the turn on the attaching area of the 4-link or ladder bar brackets and on the flat of the rail.The down bars to the trunk area can have an upright(vertical) tube from the shock mount cross bar or tube to the down bars for extra support.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 05:08 PM

Yes the shock mounts are the best place, I try to make every placement tie into as many load bearing points as possible all in triangulation(strongest structure) with as few bars as needed. A bent bar will flex, straight won't.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 06:48 PM

I personally never liked the "X" in the cage. Looks to NASCARish to me. We did mine a little different but with the same effect. My bars that go down thru the speaker tray go into the upper shock mount bar. Also was able to retain the back seat. Not that anyone will be sitting back there. I just hate the tin look of a race car interior.

Attached picture 7936084-100_1665[640x480].jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/25/13 06:51 PM

Upper shock bar. And Anti roll bar.

Attached picture 7936085-100_1704.JPG

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/26/13 05:09 AM

Thaxs Gents:

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/26/13 12:55 PM

As mentioned the strongest structure effectiveness is triangulation.With a back halved fullbody car with a high main hoop an x-brace will minimize any lateral flex.With funny car style cages in full tube chassis you have more bars and lower mainhoops and can eliminate the x-brace.With a basic stock floor pan car with stock front suspension you don't necessarly need the X-brace but it does help especially if you eliminate the back seat and trunk floor pans and replace with aluminium..

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 01:51 AM

but it does help especially if you eliminate the back seat and trunk floor pans and replace with aluminium..

^^^ this is my plan i've already cut out the rear trunk pan and no-longer have a rear seat^^^
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 02:24 AM

Thats how I do it... this is my P-body chassis

Attached picture 7937673-chassis2.jpg
Posted By: VPofGreen

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 02:33 AM

BG-

Like this? Look closely in the driver's side rear window..... Is that Santa Claus????

ML

Attached picture 7937687-IMG_0035.JPG

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 02:39 AM

Quote:

BG-

Like this? Look closely in the driver's side rear window before you answer..... Is that Santa Claus????

ML

I wouldnt do it like that... should have dropped the X
on the shock cross bar or on the rails at the shock bar...
the X is dropping out in the middle of a length
Posted By: VPofGreen

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 03:18 AM

The pic may be a little deceiving from that angle. They drop right above the bend where the 4 link is mounted. The down bars also have vertical bars that connect directly to the rails at the shock bar.

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 11:37 AM

Quote:

from trunk

How does your car sit with your upper crossbar mounted like that?Any pics from the rear?......Thax.

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 11:42 AM

Quote:

Welcome back Mr.P...what are your thoughts on mounting the x on the upper crossbar just above the tabs that mounts the upper shocks sense i'm running stock frame rails?......

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Welcome back Mr.P...what are your thoughts on mounting the x on the upper crossbar just above the tabs that mounts the upper shocks sense i'm running stock frame rails?......

Since you have stock rails, I would drop them at the
corner where the shock bar mounts or on the rail at
that point(either way thats only a couple of inches)...
that gives you the best loading

Re: rollbar x braceing - 11/27/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

BG-

Like this? Look closely in the driver's side rear window..... Is that Santa Claus????

ML

No not Santa Claus,but "Bad Bob".
Mr.P(Mike) welcome back.If you look close you will see the shock area is tied to the trunk bars.Full chassis and round tube cars are done differently and depending on the wheelbase and main hoop location you have to determine the appropiate areas for bar effectivness.If we tied the X-brace to the shock area that would leave over 4 feet of frame rail unsupported,and two bar landing within 2 feet of each other.The X is just above the radius bend of the 4-link brackets where it do the most good.We follow NHRA and SFI quality assurance specifications as not to have any issues certifying our cages.
© 2024 Moparts Forums